Study for the navle, Vcrc vs merk?? other sources??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunavet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm planning in register for the fall NAVLE examination.

I just got the mosby revision and they looks great for practice lots and lots of tests, but not as study guide.
I heard some people uses The manual merck, but I would rather like better something more didactic, I've read that The veterinary correspondence revision course are more like university lectures.
but even the used ones are expensive, are they worth it???
Does anybody know where to get them cheaper than ebay

If anybody is using them or something else over than the merk I would like to have an opinion.

David.

PD: I just dicovered this forum and it seem to be really interesting.
I also have some videos to prepare parts of the NAVLE to share !!

talk to you guys!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

iam also preparing for navle.i have gone through mosby's and merck's.but i dont have flu lectures user id & password.if u have it please let me know.i appreciate ur response.

My father studied for the NAVLE with the Merck Veterinary Manual and he did fine. I can't imagine you failing the NAVLE after studying Merck and going through veterinary school.

Also interesting to note that many of the answers to the sample NAVLE questions can be found discussed in the Merck Manual. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi drs,
how are you? I am writing the navle on December hopefully. i have many resources and i need a study partner to discuss with me. I have yahoo, msn and skype messangers. I hope that I can meet one soon. I am applying for the master soon in australia in the same time.thanks.bye!!

Hi, guys

I've passed NAVLE last Dec and the score was 628. I don't know this score is good or bad but I think my experience may help you study NAVLE.

I studied small animals, Equine, bovine w/ Pasquini's series. Even though I'm not a native english user(I'm a Korean), they are so easy to understand and summarized well. I do believe that those series will help you guys a lot.
For other species, I used materials from the Internet.

I think Vetprep is way better than Mosby's (<- too old fashioned)

Anyway, Good luck to you preparing NAVLE!!

Hi!

I just got the mosby revision and they looks great for practice lots and lots of tests, but not as study guide.
I heard some people uses The manual merck, but I would rather like better something more didactic, I've read that The veterinary correspondence revision course are more like university lectures.

If anybody is using them or something else over than the merk I would like to have an opinion.

David.

talk to you guys!!!!

hi any one from india?

Hi, I just wanted to post that i have the VCRC for sale. I had failed NAVLE in November (and trust me, you never want to get that FAIL notice in the mail, it is devastating). I ordered VCRC in February, took NAVLE in April, and passed! These books are basically 4 years of vet school in book form. I suggest you get started early, there is a lot of material to cover, but it will all be worth it when you are licensed to practice veterinary medicine. I paid $400 for the course in February. The books are literally brand new, and are complete with tests in each volume and answer sheets. I never marked the answer sheets, so essentially, these books are exactly how they would come from the VCRC website. I used them to study questions mostly (since I had studied so much the time before I felt I needed more questions), so they are unmarked. Please e-mail me at [email protected]. I am selling them for $300 which includes shipping. Good luck to you all.

I have sold the books. Thank you for everyone's interest. Good luck to all taking the boards!

hello everybody..
i found this forum really useful for those preparing for NAVLE and BCSE. i want some information on VCRC material. I was wondering if somebody is interested to sell them..i want to buy. Kindly let me know if the material is on sale.
thanx in advance:)

Dear colleagues,

This is Dr. Steve Mclaughlin from the Zuku Review. I have gone over the VCRC materials and (all respect to the author) I am not impressed. The Mosby books are also dated and not your best place to prepare. I am attaching a summary of good books that I would recommend to anyone getting ready for BCSE or NAVLE.

Here are some free resources that folks may want to use:

You can register for free at the Zuku Review to get a Question of the day email, to help you improve your test-taking skills. http://zukureview.com/newuser.php?action=newuser

The word in the chat rooms is that BCSE is basically a mini NAVLE, and leans towards clinical questions more than the "ologies" (ie: microbiology/clin pathology etc).
You can follow it at the Yahoo NAVLE study group. They have a set up a good library of notes sources, and its free.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/NAVLE_study_group/

Another source of free notes, powerpoints, is Gumshoevet
http://gumshoevet.net/Documents.aspx

Look for A-Z Cram guide (too big to upload on this forum) or email me and I'll forward a copy. The A-Z cram guide is not the first place to do your studying, but plenty of colleagues who passed NAVLE have said it was worth skimming over it in the last week or two before the test. It is a summary from the Merck.

Merck online is also a good place to review images.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/mvm_list_img.htm

Finally, of course,you can find good material at http://zukureview.com/studymaterials.php

You need to be serious and professional, and apply yourself to preparation with a good study plan. It should include a combination of good books, summary notes you write in your own hand on key conditions (ie: neonatal diarrheas, abortion, endocrinology top 5) and a good computerized practice tests tool like Zuku Review or Vetprep.

I am attaching some strategy documents you may find useful. That multiple choice one in particular is worth your time. The books I recommend are a good place to start your study.

One last thing: The NBVME (the group that makes the NAVLE and BCSE) will be selling 200 question "Self-Assessment" tests starting this month for $50. I strongly recommend people take at least one of them in October to check your progress and to get in good practice with bona-fide NAVLE questions courtesy of the folks who make the actual test.

http://nbvme.org/?id=47&page=NAVLE+Self-Assessments

Best regards,
Steve

Steven I McLaughlin DVM, MPH, ACVPM
The Zuku Review, NAVLE/BCSE online test prep

1 800 928 8218
www.Zukureview.com
[email protected]

Hi!

David.

talk to you guys!!!!

Attachments

• Best books for NAVLE and BCSE.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Tips on answering multiple choice questions.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 645
  • Tips on dealing with test anxiety.pdf
    110.9 KB · Views: 544
Hi, all, I passed NAVLE in this April, and I would like to know if anyone here interested in those great material I used for studying for the exam. Those items are all in great condition and will be sold in great discount price since I will move soon.
If you are interested, please contact me by [email protected]
Thanks, good luck for everyone here!

Last edited:
I have the VCRC books if anyone is interested, but in Ireland so preferably someone from Europe. Thanks!

The Mosby books are indeed dated and IMO over-detailed and do not adress proper pathogenesis, etc. I used VetPrep and was quite satisfied with it, especially the convenience. I also heard good things about Zuku but do not have experience with it.

hi
Im in ireland. how much are the VCRC books going for?

Still have the VCRC books available if anyone is interested in Europe. Thanks!

Hi, any one knows how to get an up-to date version of A-Z review ?

thanks

Hi lipstickladdie! Do you still have the VCRC books???
I'm in Europe too.
Thanks a lot!

My advice is vetprep or zuku. Both online and both very helpful.