About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Study guide during the MCAT "tutorial?"

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by nirvikalpa, Apr 30, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. nirvikalpa

nirvikalpa निर्विकल्पा

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I saw another thread addressing this question from 2009 (I believe), but responses went both ways. Basically I am asking if it's allowed to write down a "study-guide" during the MCAT tutorial, or if that is against established rules. OR, are we allowed to write a "study-guide" during the breaks before the sections (I know that the break isn't really 10min, the test doesn't automatically start after the 10min is up)?

These are the basic Prometric rules I found:

Has anyone contacted their Prometric center to ask? In the other thread, it seems some have and it went both ways, which is even more confusing. :confused:
  2. DAPI

DAPI

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have not sat for an exam, but I have been advised by other students to use the tutorial time to write down common formulas and timing check points if you use them.
  3. SH3

SH3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Once you've signed in and packed away your materials in the designated "lockers" you can write down whatever you want during whatever time period of the exam. You are just not allowed to access/read/look at/glance/touch any notes or books that pertain to testing material you may have brought with you.
  4. bananaz

bananaz

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I used the tutorial time to write out all the equations I could remember onto the scratch paper they provided and no one had a problem with it. The information is coming from your brain, not a cheat sheet that you snuck in, so I don't see how they could prohibit it and there's nothing in the rules about it either (unless I'm missing something?). If you tried to take the scratch paper home with you then it might look like you were copying down the exam or something, but other than that I doubt it would be an issue.

On a side note, I think I used maybe two of the couple dozen equations/factoids that I wrote down at the beginning of the test. It's kind of funny in hindsight.