Study methods.. how did you do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydream46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you just do one section at a time?
- if you did, did you start with a specific subject? (ie. hardest to easiest)

if not, how did you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

I spent about three months or so preparing and at first went through section by section and then went back and forth through the sections during my last few weeks of studying. I think I studied chemistry, then organic chemistry and then biology. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the PAT, QR or reading sections, but went through them intermittently between sections and again in my final review. I started off using a combination of kaplan plus old text books for chemistry and organic chemistry and schaum's outline of biology. I spent several weeks on each of these sections trying to relearn as much as I could. I used textbooks and schaum's more as reference material to help clarify things from kaplan and to work on areas I felt I needed additional help. Another good book to help with the biology section is Cliff's AP biology. I also used the Topscore Pro CD to take DAT practice tests in addition to the practice tests that came with kaplan. I didn't use DAT Destroyer, but it also sounds like a pretty good tool to use, but only after you have done a review of each of the subjects. Anyway, here are some links to the books I used. Good luck.

Kaplan DAT
Schaum's outline of Biology
Topscore DAT

i do it in eccentric way...u know at 1st when u start studying...ur hopes r high....

then ur speed is low and so are ur hopes...

then 1 goes in depression....

then its exam..

and i personally cut a sorry figure....

facing enuf enough embarrasment....

also it happens to me....

i forget things in a very humiliating manner...lolz..

plz guide wats my prob....:cool:

Don't burn yourself out. Do like 5 hours a day. When it is closer to test time then study more.

Members don't see this ad :)
5 hours seem too little sometimes....

in a blink of an eye......times goes out...

times up...mostly in exams....

u get up early and all of sudden u c its night.....

and even depressing is the fact sumtimes that u have hardly done a chapter..

i think im dull...aint it??

when i ask my friends i come to know that every1 has done everything...

my heart burns at my sad plight....

:(

I strategically took the DAT right after I completed Organic Chem 2 - so I had also just finished the Bio sequence and was in Genetics along with molecular biochemistry.

So I really did not have to study for Organic Chemistry/Gen Chem or Biology that much at all, and I focused on the sections that I needed a boost in like the PAT. I got lucky because my timing was such that I retained all the learned information from Biology and Chemistry. I feel that the difficulty of my school prepared me more than anything for the DAT.

That aside, I would not over do it. Try to study in 1 to 2 hour bursts throughout the day, and take a break inbetween sessions.Most importantly, take practice exams in real conditions. Nothing will prepare you like the real thing.