Study Plan for a CA-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawkter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been several threads on this in the past but wanted to get a quick summary as there are several changes to the exam format, including part 1 of the boards after CA-1 year (basic physiology and pharmacology). I have to take the ITE this Feb/March (midway through PGY-1) and as much as my program tells me the score doesn't matter, I know that it does. A few questions for all you experts out there:

1. What is the best book to read at the midway through PGY-1/beginning of CA- 1 year? I am hearing Morgan and Mikhail or Baby Miller? I only want to read one!

2. Where does audio blue/big blue fit into this? Anyone know how many audio blue lectures there are?

3. What books should I read as I advance through CA-2 and CA-3?

Trying to limit my resources as much as possible, any advice is much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

PGY-1 ITE doesn't count (as you have been told)...but if you do well, it won't hurt your image in the eyes of your program.

Choose a source - M&M or Baby Miller. Just pick one and really use it. I thought Baby Miller was easier to read and liked the figures/diagrams in color but others swore by M&M and thought it was more complete.

I wish I had done practice questions earlier just to break up monotony of reading/note taking.

Good luck - even though it doesn't count.

Don't worry about Audio Blue or CA2/3 books yet. It is way too early.

PGY-1 ITE doesn't count (as you have been told)...but if you do well, it won't hurt your image in the eyes of your program.

Choose a source - M&M or Baby Miller. Just pick one and really use it. I thought Baby Miller was easier to read and liked the figures/diagrams in color but others swore by M&M and thought it was more complete.

I wish I had done practice questions earlier just to break up monotony of reading/note taking.

Good luck - even though it doesn't count.

Don't worry about Audio Blue or CA2/3 books yet. It is way too early.
Which practice questions do you use? Do you practice from the 1990-1996 ITEs? Or are they too old?

Members don't see this ad :)
The ITE online from the ABA website are fine. Even the old questions are valuable since most of the same concepts and topics are still tested.

I also used a couple old ACE exams I got from coresidents/attendings.

There may be newer question banks that someone on sdn can recommend. I hear M5 is good but have not used it myself.

The ITE online from the ABA website are fine. Even the old questions are valuable since most of the same concepts and topics are still tested.

I also used a couple old ACE exams I got from coresidents/attendings.

There may be newer question banks that someone on sdn can recommend. I hear M5 is good but have not used it myself.

M5 is an excellent and comprehensive resource for the ITE.

Pick either of the basic books like M&M or miller baby. The key is to study regularly and reinforce what you read with a q-bank. I've used m5, ace, and hall and the m5 is the most up to date with the best explanations.