Study with Old Books and Khan Academy for 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jyssia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is the thing. I plan on taking the new MCAT in June but I am broke. Recent graduate, still searching for employment and little to no financial security. So I am trying to figure out the best way to stretch my money by saving up so I have enough to apply for schools in the Summer when the applications open as well as take the MCAT.

I have heard of khan academy offering some free videos on the topics for the new MCAT. But is that enough or should I break down and try to buy some 300 dollar books and figure out where my money for my exam and applications will come in later? I do have some older test prep books specifically Kaplan, PR, and very old EK material. I also was able to afford a NextStep Psychology practice book last Fall. I just want to be completely prepared for this exam and not waste any time by using old material. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should at least buy a psychology/ sociology MCAT prep book. And possibly a new Biology/ Biochem MCAT prep book. And make sure to follow the AAMC outline of topics.

Reactions: 2 users
Try seeing if you qualify for FAP. You will get the MCAT official guide for free and their question pack. The old books will work as long as you follow the guide and go over new topics and skip the stuff they removed. I would still pick up a sociology/psych book and maybe the biochemistry one. If money is really tight you could probably use your textbook and cross reference with the guide but that will take some leg work. For the sociology/psycho I would pick the TPR since it comes with 3 free practice exams so your maximizing a purchase.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, make sure your MCAT math skills are up to par. There's no calculator, so you have to learn to do math quickly and efficiently. This can seem hard with square roots, logs, and natural logs, etc, but it's manageable.