Studying abroad to strengthen application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeonMountaineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general, does studying abroad during undergraduate increase your acceptance chances for most vet schools?

Members don't see this ad.

The only advantage I can think of off the top of my head is if you were seriously considering attending an international vet school. My interviewer from Ross kind of scoffed at me when I told her I had never been out of the US/Canada and I can definitely see why- they wanted to know that I would be able to adapt to a different culture and I wasn't able to provide any comfort for them on that front. I wouldn't say it's mandatory though, I mean I got in without any previous study abroad experience and I know most people get in to US schools without it. If you're just going to study there, I can't see how it would give you a huge advantage. And if you were going to study and gain veterinary experience, as long as it's good quality vet experience I don't think it really matters where you get it from as long as it's diverse.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is going to be pretty far down the list of things they are looking for in the U.S.

Of course, if you are good at spin, you can mention all the great international veterinary experience you received (assuming you use your time wisely).

But, just studying overseas... no ... I don't see it.

Well, it does add to your cultural diversity, and some schools look favorably at that. But I don't think it's going to be enough of a benefit to justify doing it for the app's sake. If you want to study abroad, can afford it, and still meet all pre-reqs/needs for application by all means go.

I have to agree with everyone. While I think it might add a little bit, I don't think it's going to save you if you just have an eh application in other areas. Don't do it just because you think it will make you look good as living in another country is difficult for some people. And if you're miserable, you're likely not going to have a good experience to talk about during your interviews and it is likely to come up at least a little bit (it did for me).

I do however, highly recommend it if you can afford to do it and actually want to do it, for yourself. It's life changing and I wouldn't trade my year abroad for anything. I also used my experience for my entire Tufts PS which they did say they appreciated since it wasn't related to vet med at all.

Last edited:
My adviser said that study abroad is one more thing to set me apart in the sea of applications, but that it doesn't make me a shoo-in for vet school.

I'm going anyways!

I've done some interesting things abroad - formal study abroad programs and some research. While they're great experiences, your grades are still the number one feature that will get you into vet school. If you have good grades, then, yes, something like a study abroad could make a difference between you and another applicant.

It's not really clear cut though. As others have mentioned, it might give you a leg up on some other applicants but as for being the thing that will get you in, probably not.

Plus, it's not pleasant to think about, sometimes bad things can happen when you travel abroad, especially in countries that don't have great roads and medical infrastructure. I had to deal with a major injury abroad a few years ago and the whole incident threw me off track with my graduate degree and applying to vet school. At least now it makes an interesting story for essays and interviews.

Just be sure it's something you really want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
especially in countries that don't have great roads and medical infrastructure. I had to deal with a major injury abroad a few years ago and the whole incident threw me off track with my graduate degree and applying to vet school. At least now it makes an interesting story for essays and interviews.

Even going to the UK. Yes, you get to sign up on their national health plan... but my goodness does UK healthcare suck... and talk about the wait times.. Sure I could get in to a primary care doctor when needed, but need anything more than that and you could be waiting for up to a year or more.

Even going to the UK. Yes, you get to sign up on their national health plan... but my goodness does UK healthcare suck... and talk about the wait times.. Sure I could get in to a primary care doctor when needed, but need anything more than that and you could be waiting for up to a year or more.

On average they live longer than we do. So they must be doing something right.