Studying Advice For An IMG...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HafDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know First Aid and USMLEWorld are the basics for preparing for step 1. Besides First Aid, what are some other good review resources for each of the subjects. Are the review resources listed in the back of First Aid good enough? I'd love to check out some video lectures as well. What are some of the better video lectures for the exam nowadays? I've heard about about Doctors In Training quiet a lot. Thank you for the help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Pathoma is really good, also keep in mind that you should try to focus your review and use as few resources as possible, the key lies in studying the material over and over again.

Pathoma is really good, also keep in mind that you should try to focus your review and use as few resources as possible, the key lies in studying the material over and over again.

I agree. Start off with few resources and then expand as needed.

It is very important not to stretch yourself over too many sources. Getting boged down in low-yield facts is a quick way to inefficient study and burn-out. Use qbanks like World to constantly reassess how deep you need to go, and use First Aid as your road map.

That being said, don't hesitate to immerse yourself in a topic you are iffy on. For example, my school did a crap job teaching us porphyrias, lysosomal storage diseases, and vasculitis. During my boards prep I had to step back and get the big picture for that kind of stuff. First Aid was not sufficient for my understanding there, whereas stuff my school stressed was old hat and First Aid was all I needed to jog my memory.

I picked a highly-rated source for most subjects to supplement FA and World as needed; turns out I really only used them on my first pass (and sparingly at that). You should have the luxury of time I would expect (being an IMG), so dabble in the sources FA has listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's a good video lecture series? I'm having a difficult time with Biochemistry even using a resource besides First Aid. Thank you.

What's a good video lecture series? I'm having a difficult time with Biochemistry even using a resource besides First Aid. Thank you.
I'm an IMG too...I heard Kaplan is pretty good for Biochem..plan to use that after I take our school's Comp on Friday.

Why don't you read the Biochem section in FA and use RR Biochemistry to annotate and expand it?

My rule of thumb is this: don't annotate a fact if you don't see a question on it. RR books are full of stuff that isn't going to be on the exam.

Hey guys,

I know First Aid and USMLEWorld are the basics for preparing for step 1. Besides First Aid, what are some other good review resources for each of the subjects. Are the review resources listed in the back of First Aid good enough? I'd love to check out some video lectures as well. What are some of the better video lectures for the exam nowadays? I've heard about about Doctors In Training quiet a lot. Thank you for the help in advance.
how about looking for the topics in the kaplan books and then study them in more details in the books you used earlier.

Hey guys,

Good luck!

Here is a link to a compilation of step 1 resource reviews. Take care!
http://medstep1prep.blogspot.com/