Studying And Listening Music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSK

New Kid In Town
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

What is your opinion listening music while studying is distraction and decreases your efficiency of work OR it helps you to stay away from distracting thoughts?

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't usually listen to anything while studying, I find it distracting. The only music that I can really listen to when I'm studying is classical, but even that can be distracting at times, so I tend to avoid music altogether.

If I'm doing preliminary read throughs of info, music is good. Something that can get me going.

If I'm seriously studying/memorizing, then I don't listen to anything cause it interferes.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on what music and how loud. generally avoided but if there is a lot of noise outside then i will put on a little background music to drown out the jackhammers

I used to listen to all kinds of music while reading/studying, but a few weeks ago I switched to listening to Beethoven and other classical music. I find it helps a lot, especially when my suite mates are being loud enough to distract me.

I like to listen to classical or jazz when I'm studying, but the volume has to be so low you wouldn't be sure I had music on if you were standing more than 3 - 4 feet away.

I've noticed that any music at all does affect my concentration some - so I tend to do without music at all the last couple of weeks before test block. Although, for some insane reason (I'm an over-40 non-trad), I've noticed that old disco music seems to help me memorize pharmacology. Go figure.

When I need complete quiet and no music, the quiet does bother me - so I have a small water fountain in my house. A little gurgling water doesn't break my concentration at all and it keeps me from climbing the walls from the dead silence.

Listening to some forms of music (Classical, Celtic, anything soft, melodic, and instrumental) can be helpful, in my opinion. Once you add in lyrics, drums, electric guitars, etc., the music may become distracting. Also, listen to something you've already heard before. This will be more soothing than listening to something new (which you will be tempted to pay more attention to because it is new).

I listen to classical piano at a low volume. I find it helps me concentrate when I'm really burnt out.

i listen to music usually alternative or rock while typing papers or doing math

otherwise, music distracts me while reading textbooks

I play lots of classical myself and there's no way I could concentrate with classical music on. Any song in a foreign language I don't understand is good when I'm doing a fast review. No music at all for serious studying though!

I play lots of classical myself and there's no way I could concentrate with classical music on. Any song in a foreign language I don't understand is good when I'm doing a fast review. No music at all for serious studying though!

The new Radiohead album somehow gets me to focus on my work more... no idea why. Normally music is kind of distracting to me.

This weekend, I've been putting "asleep in the back" by elbow on repeat.

I find that it depends on the type of studying that I'm doing. If it's anything that involves reading, writing, memorizing (which I never really memorize in the typical sense, I just put stuff in context and remember that... Not really rote memory, but rather contextual info), or really anything that has to do with verbal anything then music is a definite no no for me.

But if it's abstract, such as puzzles, math (I feel this is abstract logic), drawing, or anything else of that nature moderate to loud music actually helps me to maintain focus. It has to be loud though, which is strange. It's almost like the flood of music attenuates my focus to the material at hand. If the music is played at a soft volume or includes softer classical music and more upbeat rock/alternative then it's a huge distraction. So It has to be somewhat moderate to loud and consistent tempos.

I listen to gangster rap only... but not while i'm studyiing. Maybe I should try classical like you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listen to hindi music while memorizing, or doing practice problems for math and chemistry.
I find it distracting when reading text book.

I listen to explosions in the sky / album leaf / and sigur ros when I am studying.

Same here. Sigur ros is great music for studying. I also like classical and anything where it's just a piano playing. Very relaxing and helps me concentrate more on what I'm studying. Anything with lyrics, forget about it. Too distracting. Same for new music.

Same here. Sigur ros is great music for studying. I also like classical and anything where it's just a piano playing. Very relaxing and helps me concentrate more on what I'm studying. Anything with lyrics, forget about it. Too distracting. Same for new music.

I dunno, for some reason I'm the opposite. If I can, I don't mind rstuff that has lyrics, as long as it is relaxing.

Personally I choose stuff like The Fray, some of DMB's lighter stuff, Coldplay, etc.

I like to study with background noise, so if theres conversations going on around me (say in a busy coffee shop) Im good to go. If it's silent I'll listen to music.

Studying in silence makes me stir crazy.

Man if you guys like post rock you should definitely check out godspeed you black emperor. They are my favorite of that "genre" by far. Only listen to them when you are feeling patietn though most of their songs are 15-20 minutes long.

I listen to the "A Beautiful Mind" soundtrack by James Horner. There is no lyrics and it's really thought provoking music. Also, I think the soundtrack is one of the most finely crafted/ beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard.

Even though I may not be a genius like John Nash it's cool to pretend you are, lol.

I'm sure we all have heard the MCAT studying warning. That your brain associates knowledge with whatever is going on. and it is easier to retrieve that information when you are in a similar environment. So if you can't play music during the test, don't use it during studying.
I don't know if these really works that way though. Its all about association. Classical music helps me because I turn it on, close the door, and get myself into thinking I'm in total study mode, which gets me focused.
But just like all these crazy fear ideas, it really doesn't matter. just study, be comfortable, and you'll be fine

when im preparing for a calculus exam.. i listen to songs like "Another One bites the dust"

I'm sure we all have heard the MCAT studying warning. That your brain associates knowledge with whatever is going on. and it is easier to retrieve that information when you are in a similar environment. So if you can't play music during the test, don't use it during studying.
I don't know if these really works that way though. Its all about association. Classical music helps me because I turn it on, close the door, and get myself into thinking I'm in total study mode, which gets me focused.
But just like all these crazy fear ideas, it really doesn't matter. just study, be comfortable, and you'll be fine

That is so true, and it sucks.

I generally have the news or a sports game on in the background- not a tv show that I would be overally interested but enough that it will be a lil noise...

no music for say cuz it distracts me

I've heard that being in a similar environment helps. Psychologically it is easier for your brain to retrieve information when there are environmental clues that trigger the retrieval of the information.

... I did have a friend who smelled coffee beans while studying and then brought a little baggy of coffee beans with him to the test. Honestly I think that's taking it a little far. :rolleyes:

Music is very distracting while I'm studying. I need full concentration on what I'm reading or memorizing, and music disrupts that.

I've heard that being in a similar environment helps. Psychologically it is easier for your brain to retrieve information when there are environmental clues that trigger the retrieval of the information.

... I did have a friend who smelled coffee beans while studying and then brought a little baggy of coffee beans with him to the test. Honestly I think that's taking it a little far. :rolleyes:

I always hear this research referenced, so I'll include a little additional info:

This research was initially done by Baddeley, in the late 80's or early 90's and it examined differences in recall underwater and out of the water, if the learning and recall environments were randomized to include the conditions of Underwater:Underwater, OutofWater:OutofWater, Underwater:Out, Out:Under... He found that in the situations where the learning environment and recall environment were the same participants were significantly more proficient at recall than if the learning and recall environments were different. Since Baddeley's initial study there has been little evidence to support that this same environmental phenomenon can translate into a seat in your classroom, music listened to, and whatever else one might try, but there has been plenty to show that environment in the everyday sense has very little to do with recall. Although, more and more evidence is linking olfaction with recall, so your buddy might be onto something with the whole coffee bean deal.

I just thought I would throw this out there.

If you're not listening to Sinatra while studying then you're not doing it right.

I listened to Sneaker Pimps consistently while studying for the MCAT, and solved the association problem by listening to my iPOD during every break!

In general, I like chill music with minimal lyrics. I'm especially fond of a Thievery Corporation station on Pandora right now.

For serious memorization, I need silence, but for review, reading, and working problems, I tend to like to listen to music: it helps counteract my ADHD :)

I listen to Yanni and some smooth jazz. Boney James and Rick Brauhn are the way to go with this stuff. I checked out the play count on my Ipod for one Yanni song I study to....its up to 687!

Although studying in silence or to quiet or classical music is best for studying, I always play music (relatively distracting music, rock, lots of lyrics, etc) when I'm studying.

I've found that studying when it's too quiet gets me a bit too comfortable with the material; when I go to take a test, it's never that comfortable. There's always more noise (everybody else's pens/pencils on their papers, people sneezing and coughing, people shuffling their feet, the air conditioner, and many other little noises). These little noises add up and, combined with the higher stakes of taking an exam vs studying (obviously, there is more at stake when you're taking an exam) add up to an all-in-all uncomfortable environment to take a test in.

So I prepare for it by listening to Guns N Roses or heavy rock when I study; if I can do practice problems, memorize terms, and recall facts while listening to distracting music, then I can do it even more easily during an exam.

I need to be completely focused to study. No music of any kind. I find classical music to be the most distracting because of the changing composition and inherent complexity to it. If I MUST listen to music because of others talking, I listen to something loud and familiar.