Studying as a "hobby"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benighted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm the type of person that seriously enjoys studying for my classes and there's evidence of that in my GPA and the number of A+s I've received thus far.

I mention this because I spend a lot more time than necessary studying for my classes (because I enjoy studying) and so I have less time available for extracurricular activities (my ECs are below average).

Firstly, would adcoms actually appreciate this or am I out of luck? Secondly, if adcoms might actually appreciate this, how should I go about presenting it in my primary application?

Should I include "studying" in my hobbies section? Are there other clever ways to make my desire to study look good in my app?

Edits: So I believe the way I phrased my original post led to quite a bit of confusion. (I haven't changed anything in case anyone wants to see what prompted the first ~20 posts of discussion).

To clarify: I'm involved in a few extracurriculars, but I haven't achieved anything spectacular. I also happen to particularly enjoy studying for my classes and, as such: I've spent a lot of time reading about material that goes beyond the scope of my courses and I've also tutored quite a number of other people. I was wondering how it'd be viewed by Adcomms if I were to list "studying" as a hobby since I actually enjoy it and I've spent so much time on my studies. Looks like the consensus is that I shouldn't include "studying" on the hobbies section of my application, even if I enjoy it. Apparently, extraneous studying is akin to playing candy crush in one's free time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm the type of person that seriously enjoys studying for my classes and there's evidence of that in my GPA and the number of A+s I've received thus far.

I mention this because I spend a lot more time than necessary studying for my classes (because I enjoy studying) and so I have less time available for extracurricular activities (my ECs are below average).

Firstly, would adcoms actually appreciate this or am I out of luck? Secondly, if adcoms might actually appreciate this, how should I go about presenting it in my primary application?

Should I include "studying" in my hobbies section? Are there other clever ways to make my desire to study look good in my app?

You are out of luck. Do not list this as a hobby. Your GPA will look good but there is no other way this is good for your application.

You enjoy studying but doing more than is necessary is as bad as spending all your free time playing Candy Crush. Neither is something that will help you get into medical school. If you are to have a chance, you are going to have to stop doing what you enjoy and do something else. The "something else" should be anything to start: helping poor kids or non-native speakers of English as a tutor, getting involved in a project in a lab on campus, joining a club sport or learning a skill like cooking or juggling as part of a group, doing a service project in your community, volunteering in a hospital or hospice or free clinic.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The purpose of that section is to see what you do outside of studying. That's the only answer you need.

Reactions: 2 users
What you're basically doing is called "reading" which might be slightly more acceptable, but probably still not worth listing.

Reactions: 1 users

If you're TAing or tutor/mentoring study habits, they'd bite probably. Other than that, what you've listed is what I feel to be a poor excuse to not go above and beyond your academics.

If you're TAing or tutor/mentoring study habits, they'd bite probably. Other than that, what you've listed is what I feel to be a poor excuse to not go above and beyond your academics.

Thanks for everyone who's responded to this thread seriously.

Follow-up question: I've spent a lot of time "tutoring" an enormous number of students and classmates (I mean people are constantly asking me to help them with their classes); however, I didn't charge anyone for helping them (so I wasn't being paid) and there's no physical record of my tutoring. Should I include "tutoring" as a hobby or will that also be fruitless?

If "studying" is a favorite hobby, it is safe to say that you likely haven't had much exposure to hobbies.

Too bad you don't like "hands-on studying" regarding: how to fly a plane, how to rock climbing, or how to play sports...those would be decent studying hobbies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for everyone who's responded to this thread seriously.

Follow-up question: I've spent a lot of time "tutoring" an enormous number of students and classmates (I mean people are constantly asking me to help them with their classes); however, I didn't charge anyone for helping them (so I wasn't being paid) and there's no physical record of my tutoring. Should I include "tutoring" as a hobby or will that also be fruitless?
Tutoring is tutoring. You can mention tutoring college students in your amcas without any mention of a fee (or lack thereof). Similar thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/does-tutoring-even-look-that-good.821066/
You don't need a letter. Even if it was paid, adcoms aren't interested in looking at your bank statement.

Of course, I would encourage you to go beyond peer tutoring and become TA, an SI leader, or a volunteer tutor for a well established organization. You can then mention two teaching experiences instead of just one.

You need to show you're not just an academic automaton. Do you do anything else for fun that won't be viewed as being an anti-social bookworm?

. . . Really?
This is just wow.
Dude, you need something else. Or you probably won't get in.

People who saying this is 'dumb' or '0/1000' are neurotypicals who don't know what it's like to be on the Autism spectrum. People like OP and I just can't do anything else because it's sensation overload.

Members don't see this ad :)
People who saying this is 'dumb' or '0/1000' are neurotypicals who don't know what it's like to be on the Autism spectrum. People like OP and I just can't do anything else because it's sensation overload.
Then what makes you think that a career in medicine is a good idea? Seriously. I know one guy who fits this characteristic. He's a 100% grant funded academic. I think he went to med school but he hasn't had any responsibility for patients in decades and his original specialty didn't require actual contact with patients. Is that what you are aiming for?

Reactions: 9 users
Then what makes you think that a career in medicine is a good idea? Seriously. I know one guy who fits this characteristic. He's a 100% grant funded academic. I think he went to med school but he hasn't had any responsibility for patients in decades and his original specialty didn't require actual contact with patients. Is that what you are aiming for?

Why would a career in medicine not be a good idea?

Why would a career in medicine not be a good idea?

If the only thing a person can do is study because anything else is sensation overload (in other words, not able to interact with others in meaningful ways, not able to deal with high intensity sensory stimulation ) it would seem that a profession that deals with touching and talking with many different patients each day and interacting with other team members would be sensation overload that would be painful or draining.

Reactions: 4 users
No. Here's why:
hob·by
an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
"her hobbies are reading and gardening"

synonyms: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit

I've spent a lot of time "tutoring" an enormous number of students and classmates (I mean people are constantly asking me to help them with their classes); however, I didn't charge anyone for helping them (so I wasn't being paid) and there's no physical record of my tutoring. Should I include "tutoring" as a hobby or will that also be fruitless?

For med school and residency interviews, my hobby section has been used as a conversation starter for interviewers who wanted to have a more laid-back conversation. I can't imagine they'd really bond with you over a conversation about studying (or even attempt to), so if this is all you've got in that section you're probably shooting yourself in the foot. Why don't you try something new and see if you like it? Take a photography or painting class once a week. Try a low-key sports club at your school. Learn to cook. Something other people would be interested in talking about.

It's possible to be able to interact with others or patients, dealing with sensation overload and high intensity sensory stimulation. Yes, it can be painful and draining. From personal experience forcing myself to socially interact and distracting myself from fixations or obsessions works for me. It wasn't easy and still is difficult, but I've learned how to interact with others in meaningful ways. Do adcoms have negative opinions of applicants with an autism spectrum disorder (if they know)?

If the only thing a person can do is study because anything else is sensation overload (in other words, not able to interact with others in meaningful ways, not able to deal with high intensity sensory stimulation ) it would seem that a profession that deals with touching and talking with many different patients each day and interacting with other team members would be sensation overload that would be painful or draining.

I don't think it's that adcoms have "negative opinions" toward those applicants you are describing, but concern that these individuals may not have the attributes necessary to be an effective physician.

And if you feel you have to force social interactions as a distraction for YOURSELF, and that the act itself is "painful and draining", then perhaps having a profession where you have to interact with potentially demanding/needy/sick individuals will be very tortuous.

But in answer to your original question, I don't think studying as a hobby will be favorably looked upon as it makes you appear very one dimensional. Though if you can harness that drive into meaningful research achievements that's a different story =)

Wow you are lame
The more you post, the more I want to meet you and sit together somewhere criticizing everything and everyone we see.

Reactions: 3 users
As a side note no one will see your A+s because AMCAS automatically changes those to As.

Reactions: 4 users
I understand her point, but I believe it's very possible to become an effective physician. And you're right, I've learned to force myself because I genuinely care about people. I don't like the idea of my obsessions or anything involving me being on the spectrum, preventing me from living a "social" life. Lol it's not tortuous. It has been painful and draining and it sucks to force myself. If I hadn't made an attempt to "change" (of course, I'll always be who I am), I wouldn't have found out how meaningful/important social interactions are. I enjoy social interactions (not all the time), especially when it involves my interests. Like the OP, I read a lot and like studying. Does this prevent me from volunteering, shadowing, exploring new interests, and having hobbies? No and I like interacting with demanding/needy/sick individuals. I've had experience and it's not torturous. So if the OP does have an autism spectrum disorder, it's possible to find other hobbies or interests and become a more social individual.

I don't think it's that adcoms have "negative opinions" toward those applicants you are describing, but concern that these individuals may not have the attributes necessary to be an effective physician.

And if you feel you have to force social interactions as a distraction for YOURSELF, and that the act itself is "painful and draining", then perhaps having a profession where you have to interact with potentially demanding/needy/sick individuals will be very tortuous.

But in answer to your original question, I don't think studying as a hobby will be favorably looked upon as it makes you appear very one dimensional. Though if you can harness that drive into meaningful research achievements that's a different story =)

No. Here's why:
hob·by
an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
"her hobbies are reading and gardening"

synonyms: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit

I've spent a lot of time "tutoring" an enormous number of students and classmates (I mean people are constantly asking me to help them with their classes); however, I didn't charge anyone for helping them (so I wasn't being paid) and there's no physical record of my tutoring. Should I include "tutoring" as a hobby or will that also be fruitless?

If I understand the intent of your post correctly, you're saying I shouldn't include my "tutoring" hours in the hobbies section because it would more accurately fit in the "Extracurriculars" section? Or are you saying I shouldn't include my "tutoring" hours at all?

If I understand the intent of your post correctly, you're saying I shouldn't include my "tutoring" hours in the hobbies section because it would more accurately fit in the "Extracurriculars" section? Or are you saying I shouldn't include my "tutoring" hours at all?
The experience section of the AMCAS application lets you label each activity. One label is "teaching or tutoring". That sounds perfect.

Yes. Medicine is a people contact intensive sport. We're not into training Radiologists and Pathologists only. But if you can demonstrate that you can deal with sick and injured people and their families for the next 30-40 years, then you'll be OK.

It's possible to be able to interact with others or patients, dealing with sensation overload and high intensity sensory stimulation. Yes, it can be painful and draining. From personal experience forcing myself to socially interact and distracting myself from fixations or obsessions works for me. It wasn't easy and still is difficult, but I've learned how to interact with others in meaningful ways. Do adcoms have negative opinions of applicants with an autism spectrum disorder (if they know)?

Even if you do choose a specialty with less emphasis on social interaction with patients remember that as a resident you'll have to work with your co-residents and amongst other services who will consult you. There's really no escaping some sort interaction with other people in the field of medicine. Prior to medical school, I used to think emphasis on "soft skills" was just fluff we were fed in an attempt in pursuit of attaining the ideal image of a physician. However, now that I'm a resident I've seen the admission committees people are very wise to place this high on the list of desirable qualities.

On another note it seems as we place more priority in these qualities we tend to scrutinize harder. In our post-interview scoring for applicants to our residency some of the criticism are just downright mean lol (i.e. that guy was weird!). Take this as lighthearted criticism but if you were an applicant who had "studying" as a hobby and trouble discerning what they're looking for in the "hobby field" you appear to be one of those "weird guys."

Remember to tailor your application to show off how well rounded you are; this will nicely compliment a strong GPA/MCAT.

Reactions: 6 users
Thnx for answering my question. I appreciate the honesty.

Yes. Medicine is a people contact intensive sport. We're not into training Radiologists and Pathologists only. But if you can demonstrate that you can deal with sick and injured people and their families for the next 30-40 years, then you'll be OK.

Studying is a huge hobby of mine as well; however, I use my passion for studying to tutor others who are having trouble and by holding undergraduate TA positions on campus. I use my hobbies to benefit me EC wise and my main hobby is studying as well! :)

Edits: So I believe the way I phrased my original post led to quite a bit of confusion. (I haven't changed anything in case anyone wants to see what prompted the first ~20 posts of discussion).

To clarify: I'm involved in a few extracurriculars, but I haven't achieved anything spectacular. I also happen to particularly enjoy studying for my classes and, as such: I've spent a lot of time reading about material that goes beyond the scope of my courses and I've also tutored quite a number of other people. I was wondering how it'd be viewed by Adcomms if I were to list "studying" as a hobby since I actually enjoy it and I've spent so much time on my studies. Looks like the consensus is that I shouldn't include "studying" on the hobbies section of my application, even if I enjoy it. Apparently, extraneous studying is akin to playing candy crush in one's free time.

Yikes. We've all spent time on our studies and gotten A's. Sure some of the content is cool and interesting, but that does NOT mean you should list it as a hobby...

Use the hobbies section to show what a neat person you are! Make them want to get to know you and ask questions about your life outside the classroom. Have any activities you do that most people haven't heard of, or have never done? Personally, I'd want to talk to the guy who's finished an Iron man, or enjoys playing drums for his church on Sundays, or knows karate. Think of some stuff like that!

EDIT: Original post sounded a little toolish

Last edited:
Answer to your question: it's a red flag.

To everyone else: lay off a bit.

Though I can think of two examples of people who fit your description who "study as a hobby", OP, who I work with. One is a f-cking brilliant faculty member who is almost always up on the latest literature, and can cite minutiae off the top of his head from the drugs, to the molecular mechanisms of action to the anatomy of nearly every condition in our field. Wonderful clinician, great teacher, as good at bar trivia as anyone I've ever met.

The other is a senior resident who I share chief duties with this year. Outside of her family, no social activities at all outside work. Is in her office until 7-8PM multiple nights per week. Studies like crazy every year for the in-service exam (no one cares about the in-service exam) trying to be the number one person in the class, talks sh-t about the residents in the program being lazy behind everyone's back...

If you really are like the former you can be an asset to those around you... just don't put it on your application.

That's not creepy right

Not trying to hit on a resident or anything..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424417764.802208.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

I understand her point, but I believe it's very possible to become an effective physician. And you're right, I've learned to force myself because I genuinely care about people. I don't like the idea of my obsessions or anything involving me being on the spectrum, preventing me from living a "social" life. Lol it's not tortuous. It has been painful and draining and it sucks to force myself. If I hadn't made an attempt to "change" (of course, I'll always be who I am), I wouldn't have found out how meaningful/important social interactions are. I enjoy social interactions (not all the time), especially when it involves my interests. Like the OP, I read a lot and like studying. Does this prevent me from volunteering, shadowing, exploring new interests, and having hobbies? No and I like interacting with demanding/needy/sick individuals. I've had experience and it's not torturous. So if the OP does have an autism spectrum disorder, it's possible to find other hobbies or interests and become a more social individual.

An important part of patient interaction is noticing what isn't said -- body language and other non-verbal clues that can be subtle but are particularly valuable because they're less likely to be faked. Hesitations, eye contact, changes in respiration, micro-expressions --

These are areas where people on the autism spectrum typically have a great deal of trouble and can miss important signs that a more socially-skilled physician would follow up on.

Can I please get some of your studying hobby? I could seriously use it this week :(

I understand but a person can become socially skilled. Reading body language can be learned as well as understanding body cues. I don't believe a person should give up on a career because he/she has an autism spectrum disorder. There are many careers in which being socially skilled is important. So should a person just succumb to everything on the autism spectrum and not participate in life? Humans are a social species, so although it would be easy for me to not change my behavior - it would also be difficult not being "socially skilled ". I understand your perspective but from personal experience, I disagree.
An important part of patient interaction is noticing what isn't said -- body language and other non-verbal clues that can be subtle but are particularly valuable because they're less likely to be faked. Hesitations, eye contact, changes in respiration, micro-expressions --

These are areas where people on the autism spectrum typically have a great deal of trouble and can miss important signs that a more socially-skilled physician would follow up on.

If you're studying a lot of material that goes beyond your class, but is dependent on your class (aka you immediately switch topics as your class schedule does) that's just studying a lot.

If you enjoy reading about a wide variety of topics in detail then you're more of an autodidact, and your hobby isn't studying it's LEARNING. Unfortunately for whatever reason (probably because it's largely solitary) this is still looked down upon. If you can make it clear that this is a communal thing (hosting book clubs/tutoring as you said) then it's more palatable.

Finally read "6 Harsh Truths that will Make you a Better Person" by David Wong. It's a reality check and really woke me up a bit. You need to have things to point to as evidence that you're X. They can't (and won't) just take you at your word.

As a side note no one will see your A+s because AMCAS automatically changes those to As.
Does it actually convert what appears on the transcript or does it just count them both as 4.0 in the GPA calculation?

Give up entirely on a medical career? I certainly wouldn't say that. But make adjustments? - absolutely. For example, I would not suggest being a pediatrician, where accurately reading a small child's body language and a parent's subtle signals is critical, or being a psychiatrist. But medical research? Absolutely =-

Does it actually convert what appears on the transcript or does it just count them both as 4.0 in the GPA calculation?
Adcoms will never know you got the A+. They actually change them to As.

Adcoms will never know you got the A+. They actually change them to As.
Intersting, you'd think adcoms would be interested to see A+ in stuff like Ochem, Biochem, other notoriously difficult classes. Though I guess that'd be unfair to people at schools that don't award A+

I don't mean to be insensitive but if you can read you can totally do something fun. How about sudokus, trivia, or music? Sounds more like learned helplessness to me. Define yourself by more than the diagnosis

I don't mean to be insensitive but if you can read you can totally do something fun. How about sudokus, trivia, or music? Sounds more like learned helplessness to me. Define yourself by more than the diagnosis
I don't think people list sudoku, reading trivia or listening to music as hobbies either...

I don't think people list sudoku, reading trivia or listening to music as hobbies either...

Yeah you're right I wouldn't list it on the AMCAS but good to have some stuff you like to do on the side for the interviews they always ask and like to talk about what you do for fun, sometimes more than medicine or anything else