About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Studying at home versus at school

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by CampUnity, Sep 21, 2007.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. CampUnity

CampUnity

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I studied at the school lounge before, and it was going well until I socialize too much there. It's hard not to talk to your friends at the school's study room when you see them there. So I tried to make some adjustment and moved back to my apartment to study. But there's just too much distraction at home. Do you guys feel the same way or experience similar thing?
  2. samenewme

samenewme Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Well, let me put it this way. I'm studying at home, only I'm on SDN right now.

Some of my classmates study at a coffee shop away from school. No friends, no laundry/TV/kitchen/Internet.
  3. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I alternate, because I get tired of either place eventually.

I try to study in the library in the mornings, I'll get to campus somewhat early and study until around 4-5pm, when I go home. Sometimes, if I don't go to class I'll just stay at home, and during the weekends I stay at home all the time. I get less distracted in the library, but I'm much more comfortable at home (for instance my apartment isn't freezing!). At home I have a clean bathroom, snacks and water available right away, and distractions for when I want them.

I try to do 45mins-1 hour of studying, then take 15 minute break in between. This makes things soooo much better, because I don't get as sick of studying. I've tried to go for hours straight, but I burn out pretty quickly. Obviously, when I'm at home I try to close my laptop, and turn everything else off, with the exception of the background music or news sometimes.
  4. CampUnity

CampUnity

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks guys, I am still studying at home. I tried taking a 10-15minutes break after 45minutes of studying. That is a big help, I am less frustrated now. Also, I shut down my laptop and only go on it when according to a schedule that I made up. That helps alot also. I am not sure whether studying at home will work out for me, but I am going to keep trying and see what's up.
  5. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I can't study at home. Between domestic stuff, TV, internet, and all that jazz there's just too many distractions. I study in the library in a little solo cubicle by a window most of the time, though I also do the coffeeshop thing if I need to mix it up.
  6. GatorHockeyDoc

GatorHockeyDoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I prefer to study at the library where there are less distractions as well. Also, if I study at home I usually end of getting up eating an entire box or two of cheez-its.
  7. alphaholic06

alphaholic06 Doctor, Who? Me?

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    I can't study at either. My home is my sanctuary. I prefer to study at school in one of the study rooms. I will also go to Barnes and Noble when I need some background noise.
  8. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    yeah, I socialize a lot, but that enables me to study (and socialize) for, say, 12 hours a day, rather than trying to study in a room all by myself and not do anything, because that would last about 2 hours. And if I was at home trying that, I'd be browsing the internet, napping, cleaning, etc.
  9. DocYuki

DocYuki The Gamer Student

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I fought with this for a little while myself.

The library and study areas are typically filled with kids trying to psyche each other out and intimidate each other. I like to avoid all the extraneous crap.

So, I study by far, at home. I live with my older sister (a 3rd year at my medical school) and her husband. It's always very quiet here - basically no ambient noise other than my own, soft music. I study out in the kitchen-area where I have a big, wooden table and, while I have my laptop there, I keep it slammed shut while I study.

Of course, I often use study materials online, in which case I'm pretty good about staying off of the SDN and (more critically) instant-messaging. Other than that, I learned the key is to use a laptop and keep the thing shut!

For me, it's not a function of where I study, or for how long...it really comes down to how effectively did I focus and how much will I retain for the exam? Finding that element is an on-going process.

I do study at school...I see myself doing that close to exam-time and later on, before finals. But for the typical weeks, I'm very comfy at home.
  10. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I love studying at home. I tried to study at the library once and it was too intense, seeing my classmates with piles of books stacked up with their microscope on the side, etc., etc. At home I can avoid SDN by turning off my WIFI, and I can sit and study, snack on food, listen to music without head phones, fart :), etc. Its just more comfortable. Plus I live like 30 secs from school so it makes more sense too.
  11. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    SDN 5+ Year Member

That is always the stressing part of studying in the library. :laugh: Or the occassional person that stops by to say hi and asks "So, what are you working on?" or the one who proceeds to tell you everything they've studied so far. It always makes me feel like I'm behind. That's why I like my apartment, no distractions I can't turn off.
  12. vgirl712

vgirl712

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can't study at my apartment. I mostly get distracted by my computer. Even when I have my computer at school or other public places, I'm not as distracted because I feel "guilty" if I play games or check facebook. I study best at school, but it's soooo freezing and I have to make sure I bring drinks and snacks or else it would never work.

My favorite place to study is probably panera... free refills on coffee, tea, and soda, and some mild distraction.
  13. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    :thumbup: :cool: :laugh:
  14. Re3iRtH

Re3iRtH Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You're a female medical student and you're into computer games?
    Are you single?? :laugh: :laugh:
  15. Depakote

Depakote CA-3 Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician Rocket Scientist hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 7+ Year Member
    I force myself to go to school to study because I accomplish no studying at home. At school, I'll usually lock myself in a lab or a quiet room with no other people to distract me. It generally works pretty well.
  16. CindyLou

CindyLou

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i get much more studying done either at home or in the library away from everyone else.

im the type of person that is easily intimidated with everyone else's massive books stacked, their navigating through a blood smear acting like they found a basophil...ugh i just sometimes need to get some space :rolleyes: