Studying before Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PellsBells93

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to familiarize myself with some of my first year topics. I have all the notes from a former student. I'd like to have this thread to ask some current students questions, since I do not have a professor yet to ask. And other students who are doing what I am to have a place to reference and ask questions.

Here's my first question: My notes mention that the dog's clavicle does not appear on radiographs and does not specifically say why, is it because it is cartilage plates?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't keep track of how many times I've seen current students and vets post about NOT studying before starting school. Seriously, enjoy the summer because you won't have this much time to relax again.

Reactions: 4 users
You will learn the answers to these questions (and much more) in the next 4+ years of your life. Try to take some time to relax, do something else that energizes you, and revisit these questions in August. If you start gunning now you will burn out and not be that much farther ahead than your peers due to the pace information is distributed in most curricula. There have been a number of other similar threads in the past, but I am in a rush so no direct links for now.

Edit: apparently beaten by a 2020er ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to familiarize myself with some of my first year topics. I have all the notes from a former student. I'd like to have this thread to ask some current students questions, since I do not have a professor yet to ask. And other students who are doing what I am to have a place to reference and ask questions.

Here's my first question: My notes mention that the dog's clavicle does not appear on radiographs and does not specifically say why, is it because it is cartilage plates?

Thanks!

Answer: Put down notes, walk away, do not touch until vet school begins in August.

Until then... go bowling, hiking, swimming, rock climbing, read ALL the books, watch ALL the movies, play ALL the video games, and make sure to take in ALL the sleeps... you will thank yourself come August/September.

Reactions: 3 users
I know guys but Ive had a year and a half off of school and Im so bored and miss taking tests and studying, so I was just doing it for fun here and there. (Yes I know I sound crazy) Im not hard core studying just for fun. I stop when it stops being fun and watch netflix. I have summer plans too so I am enjoying my free time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know guys but Ive had a year and a half off of school and Im so bored and miss taking tests and studying, so I was just doing it for fun here and there. (Yes I know I sound crazy) Im not hard core studying just for fun. I stop when it stops being fun and watch netflix. I have summer plans too so I am enjoying my free time.

Ok, fine, going to teach you the first thing of vet school when you have a question...

"Go look that up, come back and tell me what you found/think, then I will help you."

So, go look up information on the dog clavicle and come back and tell us what you found. :)

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!

letme-google-thatforyou-1121.gif

We're not here to be your study buddies. You are more than capable of finding that information yourself.

Stop bull****ting that you miss studying and taking tests because it's "fun". Anyone that says they do is a liar or, worse, simple. You've taken a lot of time off so of course you are looking at it through rose-colored glasses.

Don't be that person. No one likes that person.

If you want to improve yourself before vet school, work on time management skills, relaxation techniques, etc just as dy said.

Reactions: 7 users
Ok, fine, going to teach you the first thing of vet school when you have a question...

"Go look that up, come back and tell me what you found/think, then I will help you."

So, go look up information on the dog clavicle and come back and tell us what you found. :)

Very true.

If I had a dime for every time I told a student that over the past 5 years, I'd be debt free.

Reactions: 1 users
I apologize and regret asking. I appreciate anyones comments that were coming from a good place. I enjoy the aspect of learning new things on my own time schedule. I said I was just familiarizing myself with topics. And I couldn't find a direct answer to my question when I did google searches, so I mistakenly thought of this thread being a good idea.

I apologize and regret asking. I appreciate anyones comments that were coming from a good place. I enjoy the aspect of learning new things on my own time schedule. I said I was just familiarizing myself with topics. And I couldn't find a direct answer to my question when I did google searches, so I mistakenly thought of this thread being a good idea.

Get used to expecting to have some sort of answer ready when you go to ask your vet school professors a question. They will expect that you have something to state in regards to what you do or do not know already. I wasn't stating the above to be mean/rude, but to show what will be expected of you come August. It isn't necessary that you are right or even close to right, professors just want to see that you are being proactive in looking things up and attempting to find information before running to them. After all, in just over 4 years you will be responsible for patients and there will be no professor to ask a question to, you will need to know how to and where to look up information if you are unsure of something.

So, it is better if you go up to a professor with "I noticed in the notes that xyz was stated, but there was no explanation as to why, in my reading and research I found that abc happens or qrs occurs does that explain xyz or am I off base in my reasoning?" You are fine if you are 1000% wrong, they will not care (for the most part) because you took the initiative to attempt to find an answer first. If you just go up expecting them to hand you the answers, they are going to send you off to look it up yourself. And if you are wrong, they might still send you off to look it up but with some guidance on what you need to be looking for.

Vet school is going to be like that a lot. It is annoying and frustrating, especially when you are so bogged down in tests and assignments. It is part of why we recommend just trying to relax for the summer because you are going to get enough of the studying/"go look that up" very soon.. best to enjoy your time now. :)

#humblebrag

I'm perfectly fine with that! That's why I asked if my answer "because its made of cartilage plates" was correct because that was what I came up with, but was unsure. Thanks again for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get used to expecting to have some sort of answer ready when you go to ask your vet school professors a question. They will expect that you have something to state in regards to what you do or do not know already. I wasn't stating the above to be mean/rude, but to show what will be expected of you come August. It isn't necessary that you are right or even close to right, professors just want to see that you are being proactive in looking things up and attempting to find information before running to them. After all, in just over 4 years you will be responsible for patients and there will be no professor to ask a question to, you will need to know how to and where to look up information if you are unsure of something.

So, it is better if you go up to a professor with "I noticed in the notes that xyz was stated, but there was no explanation as to why, in my reading and research I found that abc happens or qrs occurs does that explain xyz or am I off base in my reasoning?" You are fine if you are 1000% wrong, they will not care (for the most part) because you took the initiative to attempt to find an answer first. If you just go up expecting them to hand you the answers, they are going to send you off to look it up yourself. And if you are wrong, they might still send you off to look it up but with some guidance on what you need to be looking for.

Vet school is going to be like that a lot. It is annoying and frustrating, especially when you are so bogged down in tests and assignments. It is part of why we recommend just trying to relax for the summer because you are going to get enough of the studying/"go look that up" very soon.. best to enjoy your time now. :)
100%. Remember this kind of phrasing. If you simply email an instructor with something like "Can you tell me why ______ does _____?" You either will be completely ignored, sent a brutally sarcastic reply, or maybe given some guidance like DVMD said.

I apologize and regret asking.

No need to apologize.

But yeah, 99% of people who ask about studying ahead of vet school, who then defends themselves by saying, "I'm crazy and love to study!" when vet students and graduates tell them to stop, end up regretting asking.

You can find the answer to your question in "Miller's Dissection of the Dog, 7th edition" in at least two spots if you are so inclined to look. Aside: it is one of the few books that really pays dividends to own and I refer back to it often when I am thinking about regional anatomy related to cases I am seeing. In time, you will discover which references in other topics you like as there is no single book which tells you everything you need to know about veterinary medicine. As other have stated, learning how to learn is an essential skill to develop as a clinician.

N.B.: Lots of great advice posted here thus far.

Thanks!

Do not spend your summer trying to pre-learn your classes. It will burn you out and half of it won't make sense until you get into class and the teacher explains it.

BUT I will say if your school offer a free online anatomy course (like they do at NCSU) do peruse it. I found it very helpful to know some of the directional terms before the first day of anatomy.

Please enjoy your summer, take reasonable trips, work a little, and have fun. And when I say "reasonable trips" I mean don't blow all your savings on an international trip...blow half of it and save the rest for hard times because student loans SUCK and they are not Subsidized (they earn interest from day 1).

I know there was some sort of medical terminology mini-course that MSU emailed to us right before the summer started last year. Some people found that helpful I guess.

Please enjoy your summer, take reasonable trips, work a little, and have fun. And when I say "reasonable trips" I mean don't blow all your savings on an international trip...blow half of it and save the rest for hard times because student loans SUCK and they are not Subsidized (they earn interest from day 1).
Hehe that's exactly what I did. Blew half my savings on a big trip to Europe the summer before vet school. Haven't for one second regretted that decision, was a great experience.

OMG people. Everyone knows that Dr Google invented the clavicle and it didn't exist before there was interwebz. Stop asking SDN to do your homework and go practice using the greatest search engine ever.

You guys are joking about the clavicle now but sometimes it actually gets serious. Like when people mention vestigial and that stuff.

Hey, if we want to talk about vestal virgins, I'm all for it.

Omg lol I was sitting here wondering why the word vestigial had some weird word association in my head with female sexuality or genitalia or something along those lines. I was like, vagina? No... Hmmm... Wtf is it?

Bingo! That's totally it.

Aw, it's actually really fun. Scary at first if you'rte a hardcore PvE quester like I was, but my main got so topped out I decided to give it a try a few year ago, and it's great. Really keeps things fresh. I lead Ashran with some regularity now, trying to get a good rated BG team together (and an arena partner since I am only just cutting my teeth there). Well if any of you want a dungeon/raid partner, I'm on Arygos/Llane, just hit me up.

I miss wow too, I used to PvP a crap ton and was actually good at it. I was a super ugly orc hunter and loved it. :D

I miss WoW... haven't played it for awhile now, though every once in awhile I pop on a new character and play for free for a bit. I also was an avid avoider of PvP :p
I just get so annoyed when I'm minding my own business, then someone gets me. ugh.
I miss wow too, I used to PvP a crap ton and was actually good at it. I was a super ugly orc hunter and loved it. :D
Lol yes, this just made my day!
Aw, it's actually really fun. Scary at first if you'rte a hardcore PvE quester like I was, but my main got so topped out I decided to give it a try a few year ago, and it's great. Really keeps things fresh. I lead Ashran with some regularity now, trying to get a good rated BG team together (and an arena partner since I am only just cutting my teeth there). Well if any of you want a dungeon/raid partner, I'm on Arygos/Llane, just hit me up.
Tbh, I haven't played since January, and that was with one of the occasional free 10 days. I had missed so many update and my painstakingly designed actin bars were all messed up. I was your stereotypical WoW player in high school...up until 3 AM kind of thing. I got addicted to it, but I was also on crutches for four months or so and that included my entire summer for one year, then I broke myself the next summer too. So seeing as how I'll be down a limb yet again for a summer, I may consider buying a month or two again. Just be warned that I'm not a 'good' player considering the time I've spent playing.

I'm definitely a quester. I'm also the type who likes to do every single possible thing in one area before moving to the next. I collect achievements, too. I kind of got overwhelmed with the Cata expansion and never bought it. I was still doing WOTLK things, yet everyone had moved on from those dungeons/raids. I almost caved when Pandaria came out because, well, pandas. It looks like they're including up to level 90 in the base download now, though. Kind of annoying for all of the vanilla players who had to pay through the nose to go above level 70. And I see they're coming out with yet another expansion?! Yep, overwhelmed already.

Wow players! Wow players! Yes! :claps::claps::claps:

I'm actually really upset that legion drops so late in the summer. School will already be in session and I don't know if I should even try to keep up with my guild. But I've been raiding with them for five years and I don't want to let vet school eat that too.

You guys are giving me anxiety. Few things in life have brought me as much satisfaction as getting achievements in WoW and now I must play again.

Kidding.

Partially.

You guys are giving me anxiety. Few things in life have brought me as much satisfaction as getting achievements in WoW and now I must play again.

Kidding.

Partially.

One of us, once of us!

Kidding.

Partially.
So... the Warcraft movie coming out made me want to start playing again but I resisted. Now all this talk is getting me nostalgic again and I want to play! Decisions, decisions...

So... the Warcraft movie coming out made me want to start playing again but I resisted. Now all this talk is getting me nostalgic again and I want to play! Decisions, decisions...

I have deep reservations about the movie but I guess we'll see. Just because no video game-based movies have ever been good doesn't mean that THIS one won't be, right?

Right?

I have deep reservations about the movie but I guess we'll see. Just because no video game-based movies have ever been good doesn't mean that THIS one won't be, right?

Right?
I feel the same way. I'm not sure if I'm going to go see it or not.

Hah I never assume they'll be good but I'm definitely going to go see it. If nothing else I expect to be impressed by the visual effects alone.

I will go see it but again, no hype. It can't be as bad as batman v superman, so I guess that's my low bar for comparison.