Studying for CA-1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Im currently doing my prelim year and I was hoping to begin studying for CA-1 year in January. I was wondering if there are any video series that anyone can recommend. (Like something similar to pathoma). From what Ive gathered through reading the forums is that either Morgan&Mikhail or Miller are otherwise the best options to read. Just hoping that there are videos out there!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any video series. Call your anes residency program for suggestions? There are CME videos that are very expensive.

If you are trying to get a small step ahead in anes learning:
Buy one or all -- M&M, Baby Miller, and the Mass Gen Hosp. Clinical handbook (if one, then probably M&M). Read the anes drug chapters -- inhalation, IV, analgesic, muscle relaxants/reversal, cardiac drugs, local drugs. Read also airway management. Unless you have a lot of down time in your prelim year, don't try to learn everything because you aren't going to remember much from anyone of those small books (unless you are a genius or photographic memory).

Make flash cards and memorize the common drugs/doses/uses:
Memorize algorisms for ACLS, bronchospasm, anaphylaxis.
Buy phone anes app: Anesthesiology by MedHand, Essence of Anesthesia Practice by Fleisher and Roizen.

Download a good phone database program: Google notes, MS's OneNote, HanDBase, etc...
Take small notes when you are reading in prelim and during your CA years. What I have found useful:
1. Topic
2. Action (i.e., Drug and dose; Associated contraindications; reversals/antidotes) -- what to do or not to do
When you come back to the topic again, then add more to S/S and Background.
3. S/S
4. Background of topic, drug, condition, emergency, procedure.
These notes are BRIEF. Role of these notes are to refresh your memory.

Print out or put in iPad: Stanford Emergency manual of critical events. Memorize this.

You might also consider: Kindle version of anes manual for surgical procedures; and then Youtube the procedures.

Good Luck.

Reactions: 1 users
There are videos for the pass machine course for the basic part 1 exam...but A. it's expensive B. most of them aren't very good, and C. it would really only be worth buying when you're closer to taking the actual test. I have heard UK's anesthesia podcasts on itunes are good but haven't checked them out yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Was curious on this as well, would it be a good idea to make it a point to read a chapter in baby miller every week or something similar? I'm nervous about not knowing jack going into CA-1.

Yeah. memorize the basic science section in baby miller, and you're golden for CA1 ITE or the AKT... CA0 ITE shouldn't matter.

When I say memorize, I mean memorize every single key point/graph. There's a lot of info in every single sentence in that book. If you spent only an hour per chapter and felt that it was easy, you probably failed to critically appreciate the key points of the chapter.

Don't worry about clinicals. If you're in a half decent program, your attending/site director won't allow you to fail. Focus on a strong knowledge base, then work with your 1:1 attending on CA1 year to translate that clinically.

Bump

Not necessarily looking for videos..... just curious is it generally recommended/a good idea to do some reading prior to CA-1 year? I'm trying to when I can (prelim IM) but its hard to find time. I'm currently trying to work my way through Baby Miller. Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated

Any idea on where can I buy the used ACE program booklets ? What's the difference between Miller and baby Miller ?