Studying for EPPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDGrrrl

Head Shrinker
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I finally graduated and started my postdoc! And now, time to start thinking about the EPPP. Does anyone have any recommendations for good (and affordable) resources? I hear the classes are not worth the cost, but does anyone recommend any study guides? Should I just buy the $75 book of old test questions from the ASPPB website? Any input much appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So I finally graduated and started my postdoc! And now, time to start thinking about the EPPP. Does anyone have any recommendations for good (and affordable) resources? I hear the classes are not worth the cost, but does anyone recommend any study guides? Should I just buy the $75 book of old test questions from the ASPPB website? Any input much appreciated, thanks!

There's a 9(?)-volume study guide published by Academic Review. It's very pricey ($500 or so), so I would suggest looking on the APPIC postdoc listserv or some other web resource to buy a used copy. I used the Academic Review materials, and got a high score on my first attempt.

There's also another company that publishes a similar multi-volume study guide, but I can't remember the name.

Good luck! :thumbup:

AATBS offers study materials. go to aatbs.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Which publisher of study material for the EPPP is better? AATBS or Academic Review?

depends on how you learn:

aatbs has more bullet points

academic review has more paragraph style stuff

the cds from both are more boring than words describe

Thanks for your reply. I 'think' I learn more readily if the information is direct and to the point. But I 'remember' it longer if I have a context for recall. Any other input - I really would appreciate it.

Thought I would pass along to others, that I just finished passing the EPPP with flying colors using only the Taylor Study Method materials. I think it's a great resource, and I would highly recommend it. The content is very comprehensive, yet broken up into digestible units, so as to not make it too overwhelming. The support services are fantastic too. They checked in with me periodically over the phone, offering tips, advice, and encouragement. It really helped to feel like I was part of a larger community of coaches and fellow test-takers. I don't think there is another product on the market quite like Taylor Study Method - can't recommend it enough!

Thought I would pass along to others, that I just finished passing the EPPP with flying colors using only the Taylor Study Method materials. I think it's a great resource, and I would highly recommend it. The content is very comprehensive, yet broken up into digestible units, so as to not make it too overwhelming. The support services are fantastic too. They checked in with me periodically over the phone, offering tips, advice, and encouragement. It really helped to feel like I was part of a larger community of coaches and fellow test-takers. I don't think there is another product on the market quite like Taylor Study Method - can't recommend it enough!
must be the skeptic in me but this post reads like an advertisement. Combined with the fact that you joined today and this is your first post; I am suspicious.

That and nobody has ever heard of it......................

The TSM has actually been talked about extensively on the EPPP listserv and it looks like a significantly cheaper alternative to AATBS/PsychPrep packages. I don't personally know anyone who has used it, but they do have a free membership that anyone can sign up for. I, for one, will be looking at it when the time comes (ugh!)

must be the skeptic in me but this post reads like an advertisement. Combined with the fact that you joined today and this is your first post; I am suspicious.

Nope, no affiliation with Taylor Study Method. Just a happy customer who wanted to spread the word. Check out my (attached) EPPP notification if you're still skeptical.

Attachments

• EPPP Notification.pdf
    352.3 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: 1 user
Hey Jason, great score! Congratulations man. I just joined this forum today and have been reading through all the different posts and I admire that you "put your money where your mouth is." Too many of these members on this forum are so negative and cynical. Major kudos again and major kudos to Taylor for helping you pass the exam.

J.

Hello,

Any and all study guides are good. There are some apps on the IPhone and I believe Android for studying. I don't know how up to date they are. They say the study questions are the best for doing better. I am still trying to jump over the heap myself, and have Academic Review materials. Lots of people like PsychPrep. You are correct that the programs are expensive. I wanted to use materials with a study buddy either in person or on video chat. Are you interested? I just wrote the woman in Oregon too. It would be great to have a small group on video chat if nobody can meet in person.

Any and all study guides are good. There are some apps on the IPhone and I believe Android for studying. I don't know how up to date they are. They say the study questions are the best for doing better. I am still trying to jump over the heap myself, and have Academic Review materials. Lots of people like PsychPrep. You are correct that the programs are expensive. I wanted to use materials with a study buddy either in person or on video chat. Are you interested? I just wrote the woman in Oregon too. It would be great to have a small group on video chat if nobody can meet in person.

The person posted in 2006

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I am studying as well. I really need to study with someone. It helps. I did Taylor Method and I still missed by 40 points. Really?? after 1,000. Where did you find the 75 dollar book? amazon?

I am studying as well. I really need to study with someone. It helps. I did Taylor Method and I still missed by 40 points. Really?? after 1,000. Where did you find the 75 dollar book? amazon?

There's a study guide on the internet, I believe, if you search modern psychologist + EPPP. I can't speak to its effectiveness, though, since I used Psychprep. As far as I've heard, it's free now, so you might want to check it out.

There's a study guide on the internet, I believe, if you search modern psychologist + EPPP. I can't speak to its effectiveness, though, since I used Psychprep. As far as I've heard, it's free now, so you might want to check it out.

As long as they are willing to also wade through pages of tin foil hat conspiracy theory to get to the information, that could work.

Hello,

Hopefully some of this could be of HELP (wouldn't use it solely):

EPPP | Applying for Internships and Fellowships