Studying for MCAT during busy Fall Semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traviszj

TTZJZJ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

This is my first thread on SDN, hope for a decent response. I am taking 16 credits in the fall, TAing and RAing for a couple classes/projects and a few other ECs. I am taking Physiology, O Chem 1, then a few other less time consuming but still important classes. Do you think its possible to do well in these classes while still finding a fair amount of time to study for the MCAT? I reviewed a bit of the material this summer so that I can focus on really understanding topics during the semester rather than trying to remember everything.

I feel that Ochem and physiology will help me prepare for the BS section while I can spend some more time focused on gen chem and gen physics while also doing verbal passages.

Let me know what you think, especially for those who have attempted this in the past. I know burnout is a real issue since I was planning on studying every day in the summer for 4-5 hours and that definitely didn't happen haha. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you didn't study during the summer I don't see how you will stay committed to studying during a busy semester. I know because I also didn't study. At one point, I just gave up and took it without studying

Seriously, I highly recommend you drop a class. I had a full schedule planned (ochem + lab, molecular+lab, Spanish, Infectious diseases) and when my advisor saw it she told me flat out that it was a dumb choice. I ended up dropping spanish and adding PE (for a total of 14 creds) and made my schedule so that I had a 5 hour block of time in the mornings on MWF to study for the MCAT. In retrospect, if I didnt have that chunk of time free (plus weekends), I would have been screwed. I got "burnt out" a couple times even with that reduced schedule. Trust me, you feel like you have room to slack off on studying when the test is still 3-4 months away (and especially if you have work to do for your regular classes), but then when you get closer to the test date you'll realize "why the crap haven't I been studying more." In my case, I kind of got lucky because my semester ended may 1st, and I didnt take the test until may 17th, so I had a good two weeks of summer to study with no classes. and I literally studied my ass off during that time.

So again, I would seriously consider dropping a class. or replace it with a 2 credit class. check to see if you can still graduate on time, and if you can, definitely reduce your schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't study during the summer I don't see how you will stay committed to studying during a busy semester. I know because I also didn't study. At one point, I just gave up and took it without studying
You make a good point but I have to argue that its summer, and I live in a nice place with good weather and am doing a lot of ECs as well as a job, its nice having a break from studying, not that we can always afford it. However, during the semester I will have classes that will force me to be in study mode. I dunno, maybe its wishful thinkinh

When do you expect to take the MCAT? I absolutely needed my organic class before I began preparing for the MCAT. For me, it is not one of those courses you can just self-study for.

When do you expect to take the MCAT? I absolutely needed my organic class before I began preparing for the MCAT. For me, it is not one of those courses you can just self-study for.
Jan 10, and yes I totally agree with you, I tried to self study it this summer a bit and it didn't go very well, thats why I want to at least have orgo 1 under my belt. I would just take it in the spring but i dont want to take MCAT 2015.

Are you an incoming sophomore in college? o_O

I know it would be impossible for me to do what you're doing, just throwing that out there. Best of luck to you if you wanna try to pull it off, but it won't be easy.

Hey All,

This is my first thread on SDN, hope for a decent response. I am taking 16 credits in the fall, TAing and RAing for a couple classes/projects and a few other ECs. I am taking Physiology, O Chem 1, then a few other less time consuming but still important classes. Do you think its possible to do well in these classes while still finding a fair amount of time to study for the MCAT? I reviewed a bit of the material this summer so that I can focus on really understanding topics during the semester rather than trying to remember everything.

I feel that Ochem and physiology will help me prepare for the BS section while I can spend some more time focused on gen chem and gen physics while also doing verbal passages.

Let me know what you think, especially for those who have attempted this in the past. I know burnout is a real issue since I was planning on studying every day in the summer for 4-5 hours and that definitely didn't happen haha. Thanks for any advice.
Are you going to be taking the "new" MCAT or the "old" MCAT? I hope you are aware that the content of the exam is going to change in 2015. I know you want to take the old one, but based off your schedule I don't know if you can pull it off. Registrations fill up... I imagine there will be a rush to take the old.

I think even if you took the "old" MCAT and did poorly you have a chance for redemption by studying and doing well on the "new" MCAT.

Jan 10, and yes I totally agree with you, I tried to self study it this summer a bit and it didn't go very well, thats why I want to at least have orgo 1 under my belt. I would just take it in the spring but i dont want to take MCAT 2015.

I know you want to avoid taking the new MCAT, but orgo II is also pretty essential since it covers so many reactions that you need to know for the MCAT. Be prepared to take the 2015 exam, take some biochem, psych and sociology courses as well.

However, if you are really confident that you could pull off self-teaching of these subjects for the old MCAT I say go for it. Best of luck!