Studying for the MCAT the second time around

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timeywimeystuff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the MCAT and scored a 30 (11/9/10). I was scoring around a 32 on the AAMC practice tests and I am certain the 2 point loss was due to test day stress (specifically on the verbal section).
I am scheduled to retake the exam in 3 months and was wondering what you guys suggest as the best way to utilize my time. I am concerned that I remember the AAMC tests too well to gain anything from them. I previously went through all of the Berkley Review practice questions. Anyone who has raised there score the second time around, what did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the MCAT and scored a 30 (11/9/10). I was scoring around a 32 on the AAMC practice tests and I am certain the 2 point loss was due to test day stress (specifically on the verbal section).
I am scheduled to retake the exam in 3 months and was wondering what you guys suggest as the best way to utilize my time. I am concerned that I remember the AAMC tests too well to gain anything from them. I previously went through all of the Berkley Review practice questions. Anyone who has raised there score the second time around, what did you do?

Why do you wanna retake? Your scores are perfectly fine unless you have a low GPA or you wanna go to TOP schools.

Why do you wanna retake? Your scores are perfectly fine unless you have a low GPA or you wanna go to TOP schools.

This.

If I get 28, I will keep it. Even though I feel I can pull off around a 32 with a solid attempt.

You are above the average, and if your GPA is above the average (3.45?) as well, then I'd keep it and go wherever accepts you.

I went through this after my 3/23 exam (30 10/10/10 having 35 AAMC average, I even scheduled a retake, then cancelled) and after speaking with my pre med advisor, I decided to not retake and apply this cycle. He showed me all the stats on retaking and it doesn't seem worth it. He told me if, even I scored 2 pts higher it would not make a difference, and to instead focus on other areas of my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through this after my 3/23 exam (30 10/10/10 having 35 AAMC average, I even scheduled a retake, then cancelled) and after speaking with my pre med advisor, I decided to not retake and apply this cycle. He showed me all the stats on retaking and it doesn't seem worth it. He told me if, even I scored 2 pts higher it would not make a difference, and to instead focus on other areas of my application.
I understand retaking is risky and I am prepared for a lot of hard work ahead of me. I'm doing everything I can to boost other areas of my application as well. Unfortunately, I'm also working with a below average gpa.

Out of curiosity, why did you feel that your score was lower than your AAMC tests? Also, when you were planning on retaking did you have a plan to boost your scores?

Good luck with your application!!