studying for usmle step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasure_island

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when studying for the usmle step 1 as a foreign medical graduate to get certified in the US, which books did u use to study for it? how did u prepare? did u use first aid ? what other guidebooks did u use especially if u're not fluent in english and practicing your english?

Members don't see this ad.

do as many practice questions as possible, and use just a few concise books. i would use first aid, brs path and pathophysiology for the boards and wards. use those three and do as many thousands of practice questions as you can find.

also, i would make sure you understand english very well. i don't think it is a great idea to study your english and usmle prep at the same time. know your english very well, because you do not want that to limit your test performance.

Agree with Neil. Questions, questions, questions. I would let first aid be my guide to books.

Oh, and search this site for old threads that deal with this topic (mostly in the usmle forum, though).