Studying medicine in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auferstehen92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently confronted with quite a dilemma, primarily due to the fact that I'm a very nontraditional med school applicant. I am am very anxious about my future and eager to move forward with my schooling, but I am not sure how competitive I am as an applicant in the US. Although I have already taken my MCAT (score 32) and I plan to apply for US schools in the fall, the possibility of starting earlier with my medical studies (in fall 2015, rather than summer 2016) has led me to consider applying for medical school in Europe (resp. Jagiellonian, Semmelweis, possibly German med schools).

Now, I know a 32 is generally satisfactory for many DO programs, and indeed many MD programs, however my background does not lend itself well to easy evaluation, and this has infected me with self-doubt.

Basically, I did my Bachelor of Music degree in violin performance (cGPA 3.69), graduating in 2013, and ever since I've been working in various medical fields (first as an opthalmic technician, now as a phlebotomist). However, (and this is where the convoluted part begins), I obtained my premed requirements at 4 different universities, and I'm only just now finishing my final premed classes (2nd semester Gen.Chem and 1st semester Biology). As you can see, I did everything out of order, mostly because my music requirements precluded me from taking science classes during the normal academic year. Thus I did many of my premeds during the summer at different universities.

In any case, my sGPA, although difficult to calculate precisely, is/will be somewhere around 3.70. I do have five "withdrawals" on my record, which is also a cause for concern.

To my advantage, I have a comparative wealth of medical experience, (EMT, COA, and Phlebotomist) and I'm a resident of a rural state with a decent med school. The in-state tuition is quite reasonable, and I have quite a few medical connections around the state. I would also be open to attending a DO school, should it come to that.

At this point, I'm really biting at the bit to move forward. I've been out of school for two years, and I don't relish the prospect of spending another year living at home and working a low-level medical job, especially if it doesn't "pay off". Basically, I'm looking for some advice from people who have more experience with the application process. What do you think? Would studying in Europe be completely crazy? The price is certainly hard to beat, and feel like I could still apply for US med schools and break off my studies pending an acceptance. Maybe that's delusional...

Anyway, thank you all in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I should also add that I'm quite a "Europhile" and the prospect of eventually moving to a W.Euro country may be coloring my perceptions. I mentioned German med schools mostly because I speak German, however, the application process seems quite complicated, and not particularly geared to highlight my comparative advantages (for example, they still primarily rely on high school GPA and SAT scores....)

Apropos to this topic, does anyone know what the chances are of getting a residency in a W.Euro country (particularly Germany) after studying at an E.Euro medschool? I imagine my US citizenship would be an impediment in this regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say do a round of applications here if you want to practice here. You probably have a pretty good shot. I applied overseas last year (Israel not Europe) and didn't even get an interview.

You're much more traditional than I am so probably have a better chance regardless of where you apply.

however, the application process seems quite complicated, and not particularly geared to highlight my comparative advantages (for example, they still primarily rely on high school GPA and SAT scores....).
Yep, they're almost exclusively 6 yr programs, with the 1st 2 years being the science classes you're taking now. Also, each school has it's own entrance exam, which you can typically take only at the individual school, and they mostly admit recent high-school grads. Non-trads are very uncommon in Europe.
Apropos to this topic, does anyone know what the chances are of getting a residency in a W.Euro country (particularly Germany) after studying at an E.Euro medschool?
Very low without EU residency/citizenship. Which you cannot get while on a student visa.
Takes a min. 5 years of living/working in a EU country, or a large purchase of property in certain few countries, before you can apply for permanent residency status.
Your odds of getting back to a US residency are equally low or lower.

You stats are reasonably competitive for US med schools. If you want to practice here, then apply in the US.
If you want to practice in Europe, then call/email schools there and ask them what your odds are.

I obtained my premed requirements at 4 different universities, and I'm only just now finishing my final premed classes (2nd semester Gen.Chem and 1st semester Biology). As you can see, I did everything out of order, mostly because my music requirements precluded me from taking science classes during the normal academic year. Thus I did many of my premeds during the summer at different universities.

In any case, my sGPA, although difficult to calculate precisely, is/will be somewhere around 3.70. I do have five "withdrawals" on my record, which is also a cause for concern.

So, your MCAT is competitive. Your GPA (including the premed classes you've taken) is good. You have a lot of health care experience. I don't know why you are second guessing yourself. It doesn't matter that you took classes at different universities. Some people get them from multiple community colleges. I had 5 schools on my application including 2 community colleges. There's a student in my class who graduated from Julliard.

I don't know why you have withdrawals. I withdrew from an entire semester (5 classes) for health reasons. From what I've heard, withdrawals don't affect your application, but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will say something about that.

Instead of thinking about how it won't work because you're not typical, realize you'll stand out in a crowd of applicants. That's a GOOD thing! Apply where you want to go. If you go to school in Europe it'll be harder to get a US residency if you plan on coming back, because you'll be a IMG.

Best of luck!

So I'm currently confronted with quite a dilemma, primarily due to the fact that I'm a very nontraditional med school applicant. I am am very anxious about my future and eager to move forward with my schooling, but I am not sure how competitive I am as an applicant in the US. Although I have already taken my MCAT (score 32) and I plan to apply for US schools in the fall, the possibility of starting earlier with my medical studies (in fall 2015, rather than summer 2016) has led me to consider applying for medical school in Europe (resp. Jagiellonian, Semmelweis, possibly German med schools).

Now, I know a 32 is generally satisfactory for many DO programs, and indeed many MD programs, however my background does not lend itself well to easy evaluation, and this has infected me with self-doubt.

Basically, I did my Bachelor of Music degree in violin performance (cGPA 3.69), graduating in 2013, and ever since I've been working in various medical fields (first as an opthalmic technician, now as a phlebotomist). However, (and this is where the convoluted part begins), I obtained my premed requirements at 4 different universities, and I'm only just now finishing my final premed classes (2nd semester Gen.Chem and 1st semester Biology). As you can see, I did everything out of order, mostly because my music requirements precluded me from taking science classes during the normal academic year. Thus I did many of my premeds during the summer at different universities.

To my advantage, I have a comparative wealth of medical experience, (EMT, COA, and Phlebotomist) and I'm a resident of a rural state with a decent med school. The in-state tuition is quite reasonable, and I have quite a few medical connections around the state. I would also be open to attending a DO school, should it come to that.

At this point, I'm really biting at the bit to move forward. I've been out of school for two years, and I don't relish the prospect of spending another year living at home and working a low-level medical job, especially if it doesn't "pay off". Basically, I'm looking for some advice from people who have more experience with the application process. What do you think? Would studying in Europe be completely crazy? The price is certainly hard to beat, and feel like I could still apply for US med schools and break off my studies pending an acceptance. Maybe that's delusional...

Anyway, thank you all in advance for any advice!

There is nothing in your background that makes you non-competitive for MD and DO schools. Your chances of attending a medical school in the US should you somehow get accepted to a European school are minuscule. US medical schools don't like damaged goods.

This is a long process and your desire to "get started" at a European school shows a shocking lack of patience. If you want a better job, find one and move out. Jumping into attending a European medical school due to boredom and desire to move out, just seems absurd to me. Either way, apply this year to US MD and DO, start next year and travel to Europe during your breaks.

This is ignoring the logistics of actually attending said school. There are schools in Europe that take U.S. medical students regularly, but they are on par with the Caribbean. The ones that are actually designed for European medical students are not usually open to non-citizens.

Reactions: 1 user
think of the long-term plan. in 2015 US citizens who graduated from foreign medical schools had only about 53% success rate in the main US resident match, much lower than US MD or DO students. and i guarantee you that the 53% were mostly matching to residency programs that are much less competitive overall.

much better to wait a year in the US and have a much better chance of matching to the residency program that will make you happy for the rest of your life.

plus, I know that in germany they have plenty of highly qualified applicants of their own... i'm not sure that your chances of being accepted at a foreign school aren't actually worse except for Caribbean med schools that are actively trying to get US med students. if your background "does not lend itself well to easy evaluation" here in the US, won't it look even more confusing to people in another country? aren't they going to be even more skeptical and give closer scrutiny to transcripts that are foreign to them, possibly with different grading systems?

you also have to think... what are they going to think about giving up one of their seats to some US student who looks like he/she will likely want to return to the US later on? just like here in the US, other countries also have to think about serving their own communities by preparing their own next generation of physicians. actually, brain drain is already a big problem for other countries--many of their smartest native physicians leave to come to the US.

Reactions: 1 user