Studying medicine in the Netherlands for nontraditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hivida

hivida
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My husband is Dutch and we currently live in the United States. I am in my mid 30s and have a Ph.D. in biological sciences. I just finished my postdoctoral work and am right now working in the biotech industry. I am seriously thinking about a career change and am considering applying to medical schools in the Netherlands. Does anyone know anything about medical schools in the Netherlands that are more open to accepting applicants who are older or nontraditional? What about the duration of medical school for someone with a Ph.D? I understand that I will also need to learn Dutch, which will add another year before I start the program. Thank you so much for any inputs you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Learn Dutch first. I'm a dutch citizen, and getting accepted is TOUGH, and you cannot influence it at all.

Like all applicants you have to join the 'lottery' through DUO ('Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs). The higher your GPA, the higher your chances. However, if you're an international student, no matter how high your GPA, you get assigned the number 7.0 out of 10.0 which puts you in the third rank (1st rank is 8.0 or higher, second rank is 7.5 - 8.0, third rank 7.0 - 7.5, etc.) reducing your chances to about 40% of getting accepted through the lottery. Now, most applicants come out of high school, and the education system here is quite different. You can only apply if you have VWO (Voortgezet Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs) which is like pre-university education. I think you just have to have a bunch of APs in biology, physics, chemistry, etc. The problem with this system though, is that a lot of unmotivated students attend medical school cause they were unsure what to do after high school, so they just participated in the lottery.

Now, there is an age limit to the programs since all programs are six years, and getting a residency position is slim. Last year you had to be born after 1985 in order to apply, unless you got a degree in a related field (biology, biochemistry, etc.) which allows you to start in the third year of med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The system is the Netherlands has been changing through the years. What Overload states is only partially true.

There are MC's such as Erasmus MC where about half of the applicants aren't selected based on the DUO lottery system, but by an interview, quick test and letter of motivation.

Here you can read some additional info about it, note though, it is in Dutch:
http://www.erasmusmc.nl/2713211/2824034/EMC_folder_DecentraleSelect1.pdf

A Ph.D. will also definitely help you on getting in. For international students diplomas get evaluated to see what equivalent they'd be here in the Netherlands, and a Ph.D. in biological science will rate high.

The length of the studies will most likely be nearly the full 6 years however, since you don't have an MD degree. First 3.5 years of theory, then 6 months of research which you might be able to skip on, remainder 2 years of internships. (This counts for Erasmus MC, the length of theory and internships varies slightly between medical faculties).

There is a SUMMA course offered by Utrecht MC which is for people with a life science bachelors degree that I believe is for 4 years as compared to the normal 6 years. You can check it up on the UMC website. Dutch is mandatory though. Good Luck

Hello! My husband is Dutch and we currently live in the United States. I am in my mid 30s and have a Ph.D. in biological sciences. I just finished my postdoctoral work and am right now working in the biotech industry. I am seriously thinking about a career change and am considering applying to medical schools in the Netherlands. Does anyone know anything about medical schools in the Netherlands that are more open to accepting applicants who are older or nontraditional? What about the duration of medical school for someone with a Ph.D? I understand that I will also need to learn Dutch, which will add another year before I start the program. Thank you so much for any inputs you may have!

There is a bachelor programme for medicine in English in the Netherlands. You can read about it here: http://www.rug.nl/umcg/nieuws/archief/archief2009/persberichten/058_09

I'm student from Croatia, 5th year of medical school, and lately I was introduced with Erasmus internship programme. My colleague friend and I like Netherlands very much, and are VERY interested in doing internship in Netherlands in summer months at any of your hospitals if that is possible. Any information is appreciated! thank you! :)