studying/reading during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playingfrombehind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how they are studying/reading during residency??

I passed step 3 before starting residency so thank God to that....

Basically what I've been doing is going over dosing and the cases I saw that particular day.

I'm finding difficulty deciding where to start with my "rotation specific" reading. FOr example I'm on inpatient pediatrics right now. I don't even know where to begin with pediatric topics. I open the book and I feel like I don't know anything and get overwhelemed by the sheer scope of Pediatrics. Instead I"ve just been reading up on what I saw that day.

Any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

I did test questions exclusively to study for Step 3 for 4 weeks. There really wasn't time otherwise with family, etc. You will be fine.

UpToDate is your friend. If you admit an RSV child, read the RSV article on pathophys/diagnosis, next RSV child read the management article. Same for flu, dehydration, failure to thrive, and so on. You're probably doing some of that already just to make sure you're doing the right thing anyhow.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above -- beware of using too many resources -- find one that you like and stick with it. Agree with UpToDate -- still use it now.... read around your cases that you see and you'll be fine