Studying/Taking practice tests while going to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvilla0713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster, but veteran searcher on this awesome forum.

Heres my situation that you guys have probably seen before… But mine is a little unique.

Right now, I am currently studying for the MCAT since mid June through the Kaplan Anywhere course. I was hoping to take my test this August, but it looks like I will not because I just don't feel ready enough. Im putting in 8 hours/day 6 days/week.

Everything is good right? Now here is where it gets a little tricky. Ill be going back to work in August 14, where I will put my two weeks notice of quitting in so I can focus more on school and studying the MCAT. My current classes that I will take is Genetics w/lab(from what I have heard will be the HARDEST class at my school), Ecology (I can change this to Spanish if you guys think is best), Core class, and a PE (extracurricular, I can just drop) equaling to 13 units.

Also, I would like to volunteer 4 hours a week, but at the same time I can also go on LOA if need be. I also would like to keep working out 2hours/day 6 days/week.

Also, since the KAPLAN course offers a RETAKE course, i was hoping to apply to that and if everything goes well, retake the course.

I am putting in a lot of work studying and getting the ways of taking the test, critical reading and taking skills down and reviewing all the subjects which has been improving gradually, but I still feel like I would not be ready.

MY PLAN: Go to school. But take practice problems through the QBank offered by Kaplan and do ExamKracker 1001 and review the subject when needed everyday. Have one day devoted to studying or taking a practice test and one day rest. I am plan on taking my MCAT this November or in January.

Note: If I take my MCAT in January, then I will have a month break to study hardcore.

If you guys can help me decide on what to do? What is the best thing to do? If I should take Spanish or drop the Dance class or stop volunteering? All advice is welcome. I just don't feel like I can be able to take the class this August.

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same position as you. I took the Kaplan AdvantagePlus - Anywhere course, intended on taking the August 15th MCAT, don't feel ready, and am now taking it November 6th and retaking the Kaplan course (also possibly getting a tutor). I also am taking 13 credits worth of classes, volunteering, involved in 2 very intense organizations, and doing research.

My impression is that 13 credits is not a lot, and if you schedule everything in advance (ie when you're studying, volunteering, when you go to class, when you eat, when you have free time, exams, etc) and follow this schedule strictly, you should have no problem. If you're the type of person, like myself that gets a lot done when you have a lot to do, this type of schedule may actual motivate you. I'm not sure what your school's policy is on add/drop, but if you feel you can't stick to the schedule or you are overwhelmed, you could drop unnecessary ECs/classes or the ones you are not interested in. If you like volunteering, I would stick with that and not stop.

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me since our situations are so similar.

No one ever feels ready for it. I think mid-June to mid-August 8 hours a day 6 days a week is enough. If you drag it out to January, you are definitely going to experience diminishing returns if not burnout and backsliding as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@re
No one ever feels ready for it. I think mid-June to mid-August 8 hours a day 6 days a week is enough. If you drag it out to January, you are definitely going to experience diminishing returns if not burnout and backsliding as well.
You think a November test day would be better? Because I understand burnout but I havent even taken a full test yet.

My advice would just to take it in August. Do a few practice tests and score yourself. If you still way below your target score now, then maybe take it in November. But I agree with the other commenter here in that you will never feel ready for the MCAT. I took mine in late January, and during the two weeks I was back at school before the MCAT, I barely studied at all.

@re

You think a November test day would be better? Because I understand burnout but I havent even taken a full test yet.
In my experience, the practice tests were the most important part of test prep (YMMV). If you haven't started taking full-length practice tests, I would wrap up content review and start in on practice tests. I did a slightly modified version of SN2ed's study schedule, which I think has you taking two FL tests a week at the end. Schedule out your days so that you can fit in the practice tests leading up to your actual MCAT and take the soonest test date you can get. If you have really been logging 48 hours a week studying, you can probably switch gears from reviewing/studying to honing your test taking skills.

I used the AAMC practice tests available online, which were well worth the price.

[QUOTE="Remy LeBeau, post: 15513339, member: 388620"]In my experience, the practice tests were the most important part of test prep (YMMV). If you haven't started taking full-length practice tests, I would wrap up content review and start in on practice tests. I did a slightly modified version of SN2ed's study schedule, which I think has you taking two FL tests a week at the end. Schedule out your days so that you can fit in the practice tests leading up to your actual MCAT and take the soonest test date you can get. If you have really been logging 48 hours a week studying, you can probably switch gears from reviewing/studying to honing your test taking skills.

I used the AAMC practice tests available online, which were well worth the price.[/QUOTE]

This!

OP I think your timeline sounds fine unless your exam date falls shortly after final exams. My MCAT was a week after finals and it was VERY difficult to devote enough time to MCAT studying when I had the threat of finals looming over my head. Then, once you finish finals, you are wiped and don't want to study for the MCAT. I would advocate taking it in a weird in between time. For example if you operate on the semester schedule (Finals in December and May) then I would take it in either November or April.

Update: I ended up dropping ecology and switching for Philosophy. Yeah I know its a bs class, but its a BS class that I need to take with Ethics to graduate. Therefore, I will be taking Ethics, Philosophy and Genetics w/lab and studying for MCAT. It may a little bit lenient but I still need to make a lot of sacrafices with time management.

This isn't unique - it's fairly common. Take MCAT whenever you are ready. Don't be afraid to do a gap year.