Studying timeline for NBDE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michelle0924

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take my Part I NBDE this October.
Any suggestions of the timeline from people who took the exam?
Should I start studying a bit of everything now? or should I start studying one month ahead of the time?

Anyone used Kaplan prep courses before?

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I found Kaplan notes very useful. Prep time depends on how long ago you studied the subjects, how well you remember them and how much time you can study every day. I think 2-3 months is enough for an average person. Too long and you may forget what you read

Seems most in my class took 4-6 weeks. We had the time off so it was easier to dedicate full-time to it. And info was more fresh ( hooray for first-year boards). People always claimed decks as essential and the best. Seems my class strayed from that. I primarily used old tests. I think those are a must! Current D1 class (taking boards now) seems to be favoring an app. I don't recall the name. Seems pricey, but they got a group discount. Had questions with answers and explanations and mnemonics and such. You can get group discounts on stuff (decks, crack the boards). PM me if you want more info on materials. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
agree,I think 2-3 months is enough for an average person. Too long and you may forget what you read.thanks
6WrS

You are really studying for this test for 1-2 years (depending on how long your school takes to do the basic sciences). As for review time, 3-6 weeks seems to be typical at my school. However, I am sure the better students in my class would have passed without studying at all for it and some of the students on the other end of the spectrum need a fair amount longer than that to review. I found taking ASDA released exams to find my weak spots and then using NBDE First Aid to dig into those areas to be sufficient. Other people speak highly of dental decks, though I think the info on the back of the cards is far more important than the front of the cards.

My class took the exam after the end of the fall semester starting over the holidays. Most people took 1-3 weeks to study, while a couple took less or more time. No one really started studying until after finals or after the holidays (if traveling).

I had 3 weeks of studying time between when I started and finished studying, but didn't study everyday or all day long.

I'm a rising D1 and I just bought the 2008 decks, First Aid, Kaplan, & Board Busters from a graduating student. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom/experience using these materials? Any recommendations for other resources?