Studying While Waiting for Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone else is continuing to study while waiting for their score.

I took the MCAT August 1st, and am not so sure about my score. For one, I was seated RIGHT next to the door (and I have ADHD and am extremely easily distracted), so I was really distracted by that even though I used both my earplugs AND the noise-cancelling headphones they give.

Second, on each section I screwed up my timing and nearly ran out of time. On each section I had questions where I had to fill in random bubbles without even having time to read the question.

For these reasons, I have signed up for the MCAT again on September 7th JUST in case I need to take it again.

Is anyone else continuing to study before they receive their scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Next time, if you have a really bad feeling you should void the test towards the end. I think you might want to give yourself a break for a few days but if you know you bombed it, there's not reason to plan the next step. However, keep in mind that a week is not going to increase your score significantly generally speaking.

Next time, if you have a really bad feeling you should void the test towards the end. I think you might want to give yourself a break for a few days but if you know you bombed it, there's not reason to plan the next step. However, keep in mind that a week is not going to increase your score significantly generally speaking.

I've been told by many that even if you don't feel you did good (as many feel after the MCAT), as long as you met certain specifics (didn't get ill during the exam, didn't leave answers blank, etc), then you should not void. It was my first time taking it anyways. And I took it August 1st and I wouldn't take it again until September 7th, and I gave myself 2 weeks off. So I have about 2 weeks to study more. Plus, since the distractions were a main thing that I think hindered me, I will be able to make sure I get there extremely early this time so that I can make sure I am not seated next to the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam 8/7 and I've been (sort of) studying for a retake. I rescheduled for September, too...

I haven't been nearly as motivated as I was the first time (probably burnt out). I'm hoping I can kick it into high gear for these next few weeks and just do a ton of practice problems.

I took the exam 8/7 and I've been (sort of) studying for a retake. I rescheduled for September, too...

I haven't been nearly as motivated as I was the first time (probably burnt out). I'm hoping I can kick it into high gear for these next few weeks and just do a ton of practice problems.

I feel the same way. I haven't been studying as hard as I did before the first one, and is definitely hard to find motivation. I am mainly just really really analyzing every question from all of the practice tests I did. There are also a couple AAMC and Kaplan practice tests I haven't done yet, so will probably do those as well.

From personal experience taking exams, most recently usmle step 1, it is entirely normal to feel like garbage after an exam such as the MCAT or Step 1. If your practice scores leading up to the exam were within your desired range, trust the process, your score will be right in there, barring any massive catastrophe. The real exams are always more difficult and it's expected that you're running out of time for each block. Enjoy time away from studying, take time for yourself to rejuvenate your brain. Ultimately up to you but just my personal opinion

Reactions: 1 users
I personally wouldn't. A mental break is well deserved after/between sittings. What if your score ends up satisfying you? Such was the case with me. I walked out of the July 25th MCAT thinking I bombed PS and BS and I ended up with a score that's at least 3-4 points higher than any practice test I've ever taken.

From personal experience taking exams, most recently usmle step 1, it is entirely normal to feel like garbage after an exam such as the MCAT or Step 1. If your practice scores leading up to the exam were within your desired range, trust the process, your score will be right in there, barring any massive catastrophe. The real exams are always more difficult and it's expected that you're running out of time for each block. Enjoy time away from studying, take time for yourself to rejuvenate your brain. Ultimately up to you but just my personal opinion
Thanks for the advice! I am still studying, but very lightly

I personally wouldn't. A mental break is well deserved after/between sittings. What if your score ends up satisfying you? Such was the case with me. I walked out of the July 25th MCAT thinking I bombed PS and BS and I ended up with a score that's at least 3-4 points higher than any practice test I've ever taken.
I just figured there is no harm in studying JUST in case. I guess I would rather waste time studying and get the score I want than

I am in the same boat feeling burn out. That's why I gave myself 2 weeks off. I am just really digging into the practice exams for a couple hours a day, and will probably practice some verbal.

I am in the same boat feeling burn out. That's why I gave myself 2 weeks off. I am just really digging into the practice exams for a couple hours a day, and will probably practice some verbal.

I hear ya. I took a 2 week break, too...time to get right back at it! Looks like we have a similar plan, haha. Good luck!! Let's do this :)