Stupid question about matching if you apply to AOA and ACGME programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoardingDoc

Don't worry. I've got my towel.
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was curious as to how DO students match if they are applying to ACGME programs. I know that match day for DO students has already passed, but how does that work if you're applying to both AOA and ACGME programs?

Lets say you applied to both sides and you rank MD program A first and DO program B second. If both programs want you, how does this work since there is a time discrepancy in match days?

Members don't see this ad.

Either you rank programsin the DO match or you don't. If you match in the DO match you are then withdrawn from the MD match.

So I was curious as to how DO students match if they are applying to ACGME programs. I know that match day for DO students has already passed, but how does that work if you're applying to both AOA and ACGME programs?

Lets say you applied to both sides and you rank MD program A first and DO program B second. If both programs want you, how does this work since there is a time discrepancy in match days?

Not a stupid question. The AOA spot wins and you are withdrawn from the Allopathic match. This is due to the AOA match being first and acgme second.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two matches, two lists. If you match DO, you go to that residency and are taken out of the MD match. Some people will apply, interview and rank programs in both, knowing that if they match DO, their MD list doesnt matter. I had some friends who had a tough time deciding whether to do a DO list or put all their cards in the MD match.

Two matches, two lists. If you match DO, you go to that residency and are taken out of the MD match. Some people will apply, interview and rank programs in both, knowing that if they match DO, their MD list doesnt matter. I had some friends who had a tough time deciding whether to do a DO list or put all their cards in the MD match.

How does this work if you apply to AOA internship programs and advanced/categorical ACGME programs?