Sub-I LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc09

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm just wondering how important it is to get a letter from a Sub-I? I'm going into pediatrics and already have 4 great LOR's from peds, FP, and IM.
I guess I'm asking because I won't finish my Sub-I until mid-September and would like to submit my whole application before then. Would holding off on one LOR make a difference with regard to programs inviting me to interview sooner rather than later?

Any input would be appreciated.

Gracias!
kc

Members don't see this ad.

Hold off on one letter. A Sub I letter will help your application. programs will offer you interviews without it. Once the Sub I is done, either get a letter or submit your fourth letter you have already -- preferably the former, latter is your backup plan.

Thanks for your response aProgDirector! One more question.....I have two great letters from community pediatricians. One of these doctors is on faculty at the local medical school(which I'm applying to for residency...not my school though, I'm a DO student) and the other is not. But the letter from the one who is not on faculty is seriously amazing...probably because he's just a better writer. So the question is....better to have an amazing letter from a community doc or a strong letter(but not as good or well written) from a doc on faculty at a prestigious medical school?

I would send both but I feel like all my letters shouldn't all come from peds!
Sorry for the tedious questions...but I'd appreciate your input!

Sincerely,
kc

Why not send both? If these are your best letters, who cares if they are both from pediatricians. Add your Sub-I letter when you get it.

I'm not sure that all letters from pediatricians is necessarily a bad thing. In the end, IMHO, its better to have the best letters you can than try and play some imaginary game that has rules like, "well, I'd offer KC a spot but she didn't have any letters from her IM rotation so she probably wouldn't be a good pediatrician."

I had assumed your Sub I was in peds.

If you actually have to choose between those two letters, then you want the one from the med school faculty. I agree with WS, send both if possible.

Do not send more than 4 letters. It's silly, and only demonstrates that you can't follow directions.

Thanks for all your input! I guess I was just under the impression that I shouldn't send all my letters from peds.
Thanks for taking the time to ease my mundane concerns. You guys are great!
kc

Hi aprogdirector,

So along the same lines, I am currently doing my medicine subI. Would it be better to ask for an LOR from my attendings or from the faculty member directly responsible for my clerkship? She only knows my name form when I stopped by her office. However, my attending I round with on a daily basis.

Thanks so much for any input.

Hi aprogdirector,

So along the same lines, I am currently doing my medicine subI. Would it be better to ask for an LOR from my attendings or from the faculty member directly responsible for my clerkship? She only knows my name form when I stopped by her office. However, my attending I round with on a daily basis.

Thanks so much for any input.

The person you work with daily is the person to ask.

on a similar note: applying for IM, have three likely enthusiastic LORs from my July away rotation on a consult service at a top 10 school (i'm coming from a middle-tier state school) from two full professors and an associate prof, as well as a research letter, and my chairman's letter. I'm currently on my medicine sub-i with an asst. prof as my attending. tough to read her so hard to say how enthusiastic she will be if/when i ask for a letter. now i'm assuming sending all three letters from july would be somewhat redundant, but how strongly do you feel about sending a letter from my sub-I vs sending two letters from july (factoring in likely letter strength, seniority of faculty, and importance of a sub-i letter)? for whatever it's worth, i will be applying almost exclusively to top-tier IM programs (bwh, ucsf, etc)...

I vote for Chair letter, research letter, Sub I letter, and one July away letter. Submit all but the Sub I letter now. Talk to your Sub I preceptor afterwards and see what they are willing to write. if you feel uncomfortable after this discussion / the Sub I letter never materializes / etc, then you submit a second July letter.

There's no science to this -- do what feels right to you.

My Sub-I attending says "write your letter and if I agree with it, which I know i will, I'll sign it"... anything I should make sure to include in this letter? Thanks

I am scheduled for a General Surgery away Sub-I that will end in late September. Should I...

1- Send in a full application now with 3 letters, and add a fourth letter during the sub-I?

2- Send in the full application now with 3 letters, thus getting the application in early, and avoid the 4th letter, as it is generally bad?

3- Apply with only two letters, and wait until the sub-I to send in the 3rd letter?

thanks in advance!

I am scheduled for a General Surgery away Sub-I that will end in late September. Should I...

1- Send in a full application now with 3 letters, and add a fourth letter during the sub-I?

Are there any programs which ask for 4 letters? I'll bet most limit you to 3 letters, which is what you should submit.

2- Send in the full application now with 3 letters, thus getting the application in early, and avoid the 4th letter, as it is generally bad?

What's "generally bad" - applying late or the 4th letter?

3- Apply with only two letters, and wait until the sub-I to send in the 3rd letter?

thanks in advance!

Since your Sub-I will not be over until the end of October and it takes a few weeks to get the letter and get it uploaded, etc. I'd say you'll miss the November 1st deadline (or October 15 at some programs) if you wait until you have this letter.

I'd apply with the letters you have now and if there are programs that will accept a 4th letter you can submit it when you get it, if before the deadline.

BTW, please do not post the same question in multiple threads.

More LOR questions....
I'm applying to surgery, and have 2 LORs from surgeons, as well as one from the chair of our department, since it's required by some programs. Several programs say "3 letters including chair's letter," so that's what they'll get. But as far as other programs...

1. I just completed a rotation at a good program, but because of the structure of the rotation, ended up working a little with all the attendings and not a lot of with any one. Would it be worth asking for a letter from someone at this program, even though it may pale in comparison to the things the other two attendings will be able to say?

2. For programs that just say "3 letters," should I send the 2 plus the chair's letter, or the two from attendings I've worked with plus one more? Will a generic chair's letter look bad if it's not specifically requested?