Submit AMCAS first week of august

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelly11

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a junior and I was going to take 2 bio classes this upcoming summer so my science gpa could be pushed up from a 3.45. Reg GPA is 3.65-3.7, MCAT 32. However, this would require me to submit tmdas/amcas after july 31 since thats when the grades are updated. Will submitted so late hurt me, or submitting early would hurt with my science gpa. Thanks!

Or should I submit TMDAS/AMCAS when it comes out but update my transcript at end of july/august?

Members don't see this ad.

Submit as early as possible. You can always send updated transcripts later. You can also designate the classes that don't have grades yet or ones you will be taking in the future

Thank you!! How long would the updated transcript take to send on average? I know AMCAS/TMDAS takes around 4-6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't have to send the updated transcript until you matriculate at a school. No problem!

But if the updated transcript has 2 A's, won't it help to send the transcript? I'm scared that my science GPA is not going to look good. And congrats on your admission!

2 As isn't going to make or break your application. They look at your extracurriculars and lors in depth as well. Your mcat score will let them know you are competent in the sciences

Idk if amcas will take another trancscript

Hi! I'm a junior and I was going to take 2 bio classes this upcoming summer so my science gpa could be pushed up from a 3.45. Reg GPA is 3.65-3.7, MCAT 32. However, this would require me to submit tmdas/amcas after july 31 since thats when the grades are updated. Will submitted so late hurt me, or submitting early would hurt with my science gpa. Thanks!

Or should I submit TMDAS/AMCAS when it comes out but update my transcript at end of july/august?
Just submit your app June 1st. I promise you that'll help you a lot more than 2 science classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitting AMCAS should be just fine. If you pre-write all the secondary prompts., which you can find online, and send in the secondaries right after you're verified, you'll still be complete in August, not early but not late either.

But if the updated transcript has 2 A's, won't it help to send the transcript? I'm scared that my science GPA is not going to look good. And congrats on your admission!

As stated already, a .05 boost to your GPA isn't going to make much of a difference. Better to submit as soon as you can.

Thanks all! I checked again and the there are 2 other science classes that end middle of june. 6 credits total. If I wrote out secondaries before hand would the last week of June be considered pretty good?I know that the gpa change won't be significant, but these are upper level science classes that I think would show I have an upward trend, after an orgo disaster lol

Thanks all! I checked again and the there are 2 other science classes that end middle of june. 6 credits total. If I wrote out secondaries before hand would the last week of June be considered pretty good?I know that the gpa change won't be significant, but these are upper level science classes that I think would show I have an upward trend, after an orgo disaster lol
That is a lot better, I submitted my primary at the end of June and that was perfectly fine. Keep in mind you aren't verified until your transcripts are in, so if you had received your grades in August, you really wouldn't be verified until the end of August or September. If you can get your grades in by mid-June you'll be verified like mid-July and can finish your secondaries by the end of July which is good timing!

Better check when transcripts will have your new classes added. I once took 2 classes that were done mid June and transcripts weren't updated with those grades until August. Apply June 1, take your classes, Get verified etc. Schools don't start getting verified primaries until the end of June( at least that's how it was). It is really much more important to apply early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will ask my school if grades would be put on transcript right as class ends. If they do, I will go ahead and send it, but good advice candbgirl!! If they don't update it till august i'll submit at beginning of June

Hey so I actually have some different advise for you. While a 3.45 is certainly not horrible, it is quite low to feel comfortable for MD schools. You are only a Junior! Take another year and buff up that GPA and get some more experience under your belt. I'm not at all saying that you can't get in next year with those numbers, but if you take a year to really put together a solid app then your chances will go WAY up. I know it's not what you want to hear, but think long term. What will one year matter? In fact, think of it this way. You might get into a school next cycle, but by waiting another year you might have the opportunity to go to an even better school that gives you a better shot to meet your long term goals. Just something to think about. Good luck!

Just submit your app June 1st. I promise you that'll help you a lot more than 2 science classes.

^Completely agree. Whatever year you end up applying, submit your application within hours of the application opening. My application was verified in 3 days—this is unheard of, as most people wait 4-6 weeks.

^Completely agree. Whatever year you end up applying, submit your application within hours of the application opening. My application was verified in 3 days—this is unheard of, as most people wait 4-6 weeks.
AMCAS actually did pretty good this year. I submitted on June 6th and was verified by the 10th. Even in mid June-July I think the wait was no more than 2-4 weeks. In any case your advise is still solid. Shame on anyone who has frequented this site and does not apply early.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey so I actually have some different advise for you. While a 3.45 is certainly not horrible, it is quite low to feel comfortable for MD schools. You are only a Junior! Take another year and buff up that GPA and get some more experience under your belt. I'm not at all saying that you can't get in next year with those numbers, but if you take a year to really put together a solid app then your chances will go WAY up. I know it's not what you want to hear, but think long term. What will one year matter? In fact, think of it this way. You might get into a school next cycle, but by waiting another year you might have the opportunity to go to an even better school that gives you a better shot to meet your long term goals. Just something to think about. Good luck!

Is that going to hurt me big time? I'm so worried about this as well. I'm a Texas Resident, so obviously i'm applying there and it's "supposedly" easier than most states. The problem is that I got a D in orgo 2. The rest of my grades are A's, including upper level bio classes, but that D brought it down. Even if I take a couple more science classes it will only be around a 3.5-3.6. And that's low too I think. ugh:(

Is that going to hurt me big time? I'm so worried about this as well. I'm a Texas Resident, so obviously i'm applying there and it's "supposedly" easier than most states. The problem is that I got a D in orgo 2. The rest of my grades are A's, including upper level bio classes, but that D brought it down. Even if I take a couple more science classes it will only be around a 3.5-3.6. And that's low too I think. ugh:(

Being a Texas resident totally helps, so thats good. And hey, with a cGPA of 3.65ish you are not in bad shape. But still (and especially the fact that you are only a Junior), I think that your chances are much better by waiting a year to improve your application. I can tell you as someone who is currently going through the application process, it is the most stressful thing I have ever been through, I can not imagine doing it twice. I urge you to seriously consider waiting a year. It's really not that much of a sacrifice in the long term.

Being a Texas resident totally helps, so thats good. And hey, with a cGPA of 3.65ish you are not in bad shape. But still (and especially the fact that you are only a Junior), I think that your chances are much better by waiting a year to improve your application. I can tell you as someone who is currently going through the application process, it is the most stressful thing I have ever been through, I can not imagine doing it twice. I urge you to seriously consider waiting a year. It's really not that much of a sacrifice in the long term.

Thanks for your advice! How are your applications going? Have you gotten into schools as of now??

Thanks for your advice! How are your applications going? Have you gotten into schools as of now??
That's nice of you to ask. You can check out my MD apps, it's up to date. I'm sitting on 5 interviews so far (waitlisted at one) with about 9 schools that have yet to get back to me. So overall I feel really good, but certainly still a bit nervous since I have not yet received the coveted acceptance. I'm telling you, this process is brutal!

That's nice of you to ask. You can check out my MD apps, it's up to date. I'm sitting on 5 interviews so far (waitlisted at one) with about 9 schools that have yet to get back to me. So overall I feel really good, but certainly still a bit nervous since I have not yet received the coveted acceptance. I'm telling you, this process is brutal!

Sorry, what's an MD apps? And that's awesome! 5 interviews woww

Sorry, what's an MD apps? And that's awesome! 5 interviews woww

Oh sorry, MD apps is a web site (mdapplicants.com) where people applying to med school can post what schools they applied to, their GPA/MCAT, and a brief description of their ECs or other pertinent information. It can be a helpful resource to gauge your competitiveness at certain schools by looking at other people's apps from previous cycles. You can check my profile out by clicking the link under my username on the left where it says MDapps ID: 30045

No matter what OP chooses to do (apply right away or take a gap year, I'm leaning more toward OP taking a gap year), they definitely need to submit right when the AMCAS application allows you to. I submitted like 45 seconds after it opened (lololol) and was verified in less than 48 hours (probably like 36 actually). It makes a sizable, measurable difference.

No matter what OP chooses to do (apply right away or take a gap year, I'm leaning more toward OP taking a gap year), they definitely need to submit right when the AMCAS application allows you to. I submitted like 45 seconds after it opened (lololol) and was verified in less than 48 hours (probably like 36 actually). It makes a sizable, measurable difference.

So you think my bcpm is too low for this upcoming cycle as well?

So you think my bcpm is too low for this upcoming cycle as well?
It is low, yes. Without more information, I can't tell you anything else. Where do you attend undergrad right now? Is it a prestigious undergrad where adcoms will give you a tiny bit of slack for having a lower sGPA or a podunk state school or unknown liberal arts college? What are your EC's like? Are they outstanding, average, or subpar? What's your PS and LOR situation looking like right now? Will they be stellar, average, or not-so-good? All of these factors must be taken into account. Also, more and more people are taking at least 1 gap year before applying and matriculating nowadays, and the vast majority of them will have used that time to significantly improve their applications. Lastly, do you FEEL ready to apply next cycle? I cannot stress enough how important it is for premeds who make it this far to accurately assess their own competitiveness and readiness for the long, brutal application process.

I attend a state school, so i'm sure there's no slack. It's not a podunk school but it's not a yale or princeton. Everything else is great, but that's my opinion. Excellent LOR from my microbio and biochem professors and 1 from a psych professor and 1 from a physician i've shadowed since I was 14 (i'm 20 now just fyi). trillion hours of hospital volunteer, leaders in 2 clubs, intern at aids foundation etc. My thinking is, even if I take sciences my senior year and apply again, my bcpm will only probably go up maybe .10 of a point. 3.45 vs 3.55..... I don't know. This is really stressing me out, and i'm just so confused haha

I attend a state school, so i'm sure there's no slack. It's not a podunk school but it's not a yale or princeton. Everything else is great, but that's my opinion. Excellent LOR from my microbio and biochem professors and 1 from a psych professor and 1 from a physician i've shadowed since I was 14 (i'm 20 now just fyi). trillion hours of hospital volunteer, leaders in 2 clubs, intern at aids foundation etc. My thinking is, even if I take sciences my senior year and apply again, my bcpm will only probably go up maybe .10 of a point. 3.45 vs 3.55..... I don't know. This is really stressing me out, and i'm just so confused haha
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stress you out even more. Your EC's sound fine, just make sure to write about them well on your AMCAS. I'd say your sGPA is the only thing that could potentially hold you back. If you wanna apply right away, it wouldn't be the absolute worst. But I'm just one person, so weigh my advice with those of everyone else who has chimed in on this thread.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stress you out even more. Your EC's sound fine, just make sure to write about them well on your AMCAS. I'd say your sGPA is the only thing that could potentially hold you back. If you wanna apply right away, it wouldn't be the absolute worst. But I'm just one person, so weigh my advice with those of everyone else who has chimed in on this thread.

Oh I didn't mean you were, I meant this whole situation! And thanks so much for your input, i'm just going to have to start figuring things out between now and the summer. Good luck with your interviews!