Submit Early or Shadow More?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atrec11992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on submitting my application for the 2014-15 cycle and these are my stats:

3.1 BCP GPA
3.3 oGPA
24AA/25TS/17PAT
~100 hrs of volunteer work
~30 hrs of general dentistry shadowing
Worked ~20hrs/wk part time for all 4 years of undergrad

Due to time constraints (mostly work and the commute to and from school) that really was the best I could do as far as shadowing. I'm about to start my gap year though, and I'm all set up to start shadowing again with an oral surgeon. But my low GPA also makes it vital that I get my app in early. Should I just send it in June 1st and hope I get the opportunity to explain my situation in interviews? Or should I hold off on submitting until I have ~100 hours (which would mean submitting in late July/ early August)?

Members don't see this ad.

Although the application opens on June 2nd, the first batch is not sent out until the end of June.

Get in 100 hours total by mid-July and then submit. You will still be early.

Members don't see this ad :)
if u can shadow general dentist, that will also be good. oral surgery is a specialty which everyone may not get into, so they wanna make sure u will be happy being at least a general dentist.

I'd definitely submit earlier than August if at all possible. You'll likely get interviews earlier on in the cycle that way and that'll save you a ton of worry and stress. Work on hitting 100 hours as fast as you can and submit before it hits July 31st.

It's also really important that a large part of your shadowing hours are at a general dentists' (because you will be going to school for general dentistry first and that's what schools will be focusing on). Try to visit both an urban and a rural clinic as well. It'll give you a good idea of how much clinics can vary and it'll give you a ton to talk about during interviews. Best of luck!