Submit supplemental app: before or after mcat score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maripuput

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to crazy schedule, I took the mcat on the last day for this app cycle. However, I did not realize I wasn't ready for the mcat until after I took it. I probably guessed to 30-40% of the questions, partly because I did not know the answer but more because I was constantly running out of time. I think I can do better next time. But having taken the test this late leaves me no chance to improve my score in case I flunk it. I am beginning to receive supplemental application forms from med schools I applied to. What should I do?

Should I wait for my score (Oct. 11) before submitting supplementals or should I do it now? My committee letters are complete and uploaded. Will Med school care about my mcat score (in case it is low) if I do not submit supplemental application? Should I submit it regardless?

cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.25

I appreciate your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Due to crazy schedule, I took the mcat on the last day for this app cycle. However, I did not realize I wasn't ready for the mcat until after I took it. I probably guessed to 30-40% of the questions, partly because I did not know the answer but more because I was constantly running out of time. I think I can do better next time. But having taken the test this late leaves me no chance to improve my score in case I flunk it. I am beginning to receive supplemental application forms from med schools I applied to. What should I do?

Should I wait for my score (Oct. 11) before submitting supplementals or should I do it now? My committee letters are complete and uploaded. Will Med school care about my mcat score (in case it is low) if I do not submit supplemental application? Should I submit it regardless?

cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.25

I appreciate your advice.

Since you're already verified, I would wait for your MCAT score to be released. Even if you submit secondaries now, schools won't review your file until your MCAT is reported anyway.

Thanks. But what if my mcat turns out low, should I continue to submit it or withdraw?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. But what if my mcat turns out low, should I continue to submit it or withdraw?

That's a decision only you can make.

You should think about how low your MCAT is (check MSAR 10th percentiles), how risk averse you are, and if you're willing to apply to osteopathic schools. You need to also consider that your BCPM GPA is well below average for MD schools, so your chances will be very slim with a below average MCAT.

If you guessed on over 30% of the questions [taking into account randomly getting one right for every 4-5 questions), I'm sure you can already estimate what your MCAT score will be. Probably not very good. If you're OK with a low MCAT score, then go ahead with the secondaries. If not, then save your money and reassess the situation.