Submitting AMCAS without LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2015istheYear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know you can submit your AMCAS without the letters of recc, but my question is... is it possible that schools could end up looking at your application without the letters, if they are added say, 2 weeks later? Is it, for any reason, not wise to submit without the letters of recc? I am just concerned because my personal statement is not quite done and two of my writers want to read it before giving me the LOR.

Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You are confusing verification with being complete. All you need for verification and to get secondaries are your grades, your preliminary app, and your MCAT score. Once you get your secondaries, you fill those out and you will need your LORs. Then you submit for completion, meaning all of your docs are then sent to schools for review. If school 1 requires 3 LORs and you only have 2, they won't review your file. If school 2 requires 2 LORs and they are ready along with your secondaries, then they will review you.
You should get verified as early as possible even if your LORs aren't ready. But you won't be considered complete and ready for review by the admissions committee for a particular school until you have all of your docs, including LORs completed.

Last edited:
But remember you will need your personal statement complete in order to initially submit to AMCAS for verification.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let the PS hold you up from asking for LOR. Just get it to an acceptable level. Also, some letter writers will be nice enough to make some edits to your PS.

Hi everyone. I know you can submit your AMCAS without the letters of recc, but my question is... is it possible that schools could end up looking at your application without the letters, if they are added say, 2 weeks later? Is it, for any reason, not wise to submit without the letters of recc? I am just concerned because my personal statement is not quite done and two of my writers want to read it before giving me the LOR.

Thanks for your advice!

This thread is answering some questions I had as well.

So to confirm, you can submit your app for verification at the beginning of June with just your grades, MCAT and preliminary app with LORs pending. Then schools will send out secondaries in early July and once you send those back with your LORs you are complete and they will review your application?

I understand applying early is important but when is the earliest you could expect to be complete? Mid July?

This thread is answering some questions I had as well.

So to confirm, you can submit your app for verification at the beginning of June with just your grades, MCAT and preliminary app with LORs pending. Then schools will send out secondaries in early July and once you send those back with your LORs you are complete and they will review your application?

I understand applying early is important but when is the earliest you could expect to be complete? Mid July?
- Starting June 2, you can submit with just the app itself (PS and activities, etc), grades and transcripts. This starts the verification process.
- Verification matches reported grades to transcripts. Wait time variable, but longer later in the season.
- In order to submit, you must list at least one school, and you cannot unselect that school later.
- You may submit MCAT and LORs later, but schools will not look at your primary app without an MCAT
- No school will see your primary app, no matter how early it is verified, until July 1st
- You may be sent a secondary application after the primary app is reviewed. LORs are usually not required to receive a secondary.
- The completed secondary application will typically not be reviewed until the LORs are also submitted.
- You may list additional schools at any point after verification, and again, cannot unlist them once added.

So, the earliest you could be complete is June 2nd, if you submit your app with LORs and MCAT already in and are verified same-day (some of the early people are). School still won't see them until July 1st, though, and that's what counts. They'd look the same as someone who submitted June 2nd without LORs and then added them June 30th.
If you take 'complete' to include secondary, then of course they cannot be complete before July...the specific timing is dependent on how long it takes schools to send a secondary app (for those with no prescreen it could be very quick) and how long it takes to return it (for someone who pre-writes, it should not take long).

Obviously, it is completely unnecessary to be the earliest at every stage, or even any. But it is best not to be particularly 'late', either. So aim for earliest and then don't stress too much at minor delays!

Edited to reflect @Snakes feedback

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. That was very clear. I'm in the same boat as OP with LOR's where most of my letter writers would like to see my PS (currently not finished...). Good to know I have a small window of flexibility in June to make sure my committee letter is all set by July.

Don't know if this question really has a definitive answer as each school operates differently but I thought I'd ask people's opinions:

Do most schools analyze applications in monthly or bimonthly groups / cohorts? So is July 2nd pretty much the same as July 15th?

Ultimately, is there really any MAJOR difference between a July 2nd and a July 15th or even July 30th submission if your stats/EC's/etc match well with the school?

- You may submit MCAT and LORs later, but schools will not look at your app, usually, without those.
- Some schools may send secondaries before receiving LORs, but this is not the default.

So, the earliest you could be complete is June 2nd, if you submit your app with LORs and MCAT already in and are verified same-day (some of the early people are). School still won't see them until July 1st, though, and that's what counts. They'd look the same as someone who submitted June 2nd without LORs and then added them June 30th.
If you take 'complete' to include secondary, then of course they cannot be complete before July...the specific timing is dependent on how long it takes schools to send a secondary app (for those with no prescreen it could be very quick) and how long it takes to return it (for someone who pre-writes, it should not take long).

I think your post had a lot of helpful advice. I only take issue with a couple of things.

For those schools that screen, you would need your MCAT score in before getting a secondary. I have never heard of LORs being required before secondaries are sent (Not that that couldn't be true, I just am not aware of any). I would say that LORs not being required pre-secondary is the default.

To the OP, for purposes of SDN, "complete" means when your app is totally finished. Initial app, secondaries, MCAT, and LORs all in. Since secondaries will not be released until after apps are sent to schools on July 1st, @mehc012 is correct in saying that the first truly complete apps probably won't be submitted until mid-July. As I recall last year, it took a number of days after the first data dump to med schools for them to release secondaries.

I think your post had a lot of helpful advice. I only take issue with a couple of things.

For those schools that screen, you would need your MCAT score in before getting a secondary. I have never heard of LORs being required before secondaries are sent (Not that that couldn't be true, I just am not aware of any). I would say that LORs not being required pre-secondary is the default.

To the OP, for purposes of SDN, "complete" means when your app is totally finished. Initial app, secondaries, MCAT, and LORs all in. Since secondaries will not be released until after apps are sent to schools on July 1st, @mehc012 is correct in saying that the first truly complete apps probably won't be submitted until mid-July. As I recall last year, it took a number of days after the first data dump to med schools for them to release secondaries.
Yes, sorry, at some point I stopped typing "MCAT and LORs" and just went with "LORs." I can see how that would seem odd considering your second objection! :laugh: I was wondering on your second point myself, but had heard both versions and decided to go with the safer route. My own LORs will be ready when my primary is submitted.
I've edited the original post to reflect your feedback - I usually do not try to disguise my own ignorance, but since I made the post sound as if I knew what I was talking about, I thought it best to ensure its accuracy rather than to clarify separately and hope people read the entire thread to the end! Thanks!

I made this mistake worrying about my LOR's because of my PS. It turned out to be a needless worry that delayed my app. You're LOR's will come when they come. Get your AMCAS verified with a single school once you have a ready app.

Thank you and everyone for the input on this topic. It REALLY cleared up many questions in my mind.

- Starting June 2, you can submit with just the app itself (PS and activities, etc), grades and transcripts. This starts the verification process.
- Verification matches reported grades to transcripts. Wait time variable, but longer later in the season.
- In order to submit, you must list at least one school, and you cannot unselect that school later.
- You may submit MCAT and LORs later, but schools will not look at your primary app without an MCAT
- No school will see your primary app, no matter how early it is verified, until July 1st
- You may be sent a secondary application after the primary app is reviewed. LORs are usually not required to receive a secondary.
- The completed secondary application will typically not be reviewed until the LORs are also submitted.
- You may list additional schools at any point after verification, and again, cannot unlist them once added.

Obviously, it is completely unnecessary to be the earliest at every stage, or even any. But it is best not to be particularly 'late', either. So aim for earliest and then don't stress too much at minor delays!

Two questions -

- If I submit my AMCAS without an MCAT score or LORs, will schools still send me secondary applications?

- One of the schools to which I plan on applying doesn't utilize the AMCAS letter service, meaning my professors have to actually mail the physical letter to the school. If my professors mail the letters to the school before my AMCAS application is verified...what happens to the letters?

Two questions -

- If I submit my AMCAS without an MCAT score or LORs, will schools still send me secondary applications?

- One of the schools to which I plan on applying doesn't utilize the AMCAS letter service, meaning my professors have to actually mail the physical letter to the school. If my professors mail the letters to the school before my AMCAS application is verified...what happens to the letters?
Schools won't look at your primary without MCAT.
You won't get a secondary without them looking at your primary.

Most schools won't look at your secondary without your LORs.
You won't get an II until they look at your secondary.

As to the second - I've got no clue. I'd suggest sending them in after the primary is verified, as that's a pretty easy fix.

This was very helpful! But can you comment on the consequences (possible disadvantages) of taking a June MCAT? If I submit my primary app and LOR's in June and get verified by July 1st, you are saying schools won't look at my app until I have an MCAT score? Is this true of all schools?? I thought they would still read my app and then put it in a "later pile" so that once they get my score, they can just add that in and either accept or reject for secondaries/interviews right away since they already read my app….am I misunderstanding this?

Also, if I took the May mcat, I understand that everything is still fine. But if I took the June MCAT, and get my scores back July 19th, then schools won't read my app until then right? So after they read my app and send me secondaries, I will have to complete them and after that, would my application be considered complete? How long will this take? (will I be complete as soon as my secondaries are sent in or after schools read thru my essays?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand this process, is that if I took the June MCAT, I will not be complete until possibly August (because I doubt schools will send me the secondary right away on July 19th after they get my score…if they still have to read my primary!) And I understand that I will not be offered interviews unless I am complete…

So in this case, isn't a June MCAT pretty disadvantageous?? Based on the above, I feel like it would really put an applicant back in the pile...

This was very helpful! But can you comment on the consequences (possible disadvantages) of taking a June MCAT? If I submit my primary app and LOR's in June and get verified by July 1st, you are saying schools won't look at my app until I have an MCAT score? Is this true of all schools?? I thought they would still read my app and then put it in a "later pile" so that once they get my score, they can just add that in and either accept or reject for secondaries/interviews right away since they already read my app….am I misunderstanding this?

Also, if I took the May mcat, I understand that everything is still fine. But if I took the June MCAT, and get my scores back July 19th, then schools won't read my app until then right? So after they read my app and send me secondaries, I will have to complete them and after that, would my application be considered complete? How long will this take? (will I be complete as soon as my secondaries are sent in or after schools read thru my essays?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand this process, is that if I took the June MCAT, I will not be complete until possibly August (because I doubt schools will send me the secondary right away on July 19th after they get my score…if they still have to read my primary!) And I understand that I will not be offered interviews unless I am complete…

So in this case, isn't a June MCAT pretty disadvantageous?? Based on the above, I feel like it would really put an applicant back in the pile...

Why would they read an incomplete app? Then they have to remember who the heck you are when the MCAT comes in. Also, if you get a 3, they won't have to bother reading ever, right?

Look, maybe some schools read them and file it aside waiting for your MCAT. Some schools don't bother reading them pre-secondary at all. I don't know the ins and outs of every admissions office in the country, and honestly, I don't have to. Odds are, it makes very little difference to your timing in the end. What matters is that you won't get a secondary from most places until your MCAT comes back, and then it will take you some time to return the secondary. So if you get your score in late July, you'll be complete late July-August, depending on a variety of factors.

However, a July-August complete date is nowhere near as disadvantageous as a poor MCAT score from being unprepared for it. If you need to wait until June to be ready, wait until June. Do what you have to do, and don't worry about the 'what-ifs' that you can't change.

Hi all, I understand you can submit your app without LORs completed, but do you have to designate LORs for each school you're planning on applying to pre-submission? AMCAS' language is a little confusing to me on this point - ie, if I don't add Professor X to School Y, can I designate her later or have I lost my shot at adding letters for that particular school?

Thanks!

@gonnif @mehc012

I'm sure you two are tired of these questions but if you could just clarify this for me...

Do schools look at your LOR's when examining a primary to decide on whether or not to send that student a secondary? Meaning should I send my 2 LOR's now to all the schools I want to attend and hope to receive secondaries while I wait for my last LOR? Or will they likely not review that last LOR because it was not sent with the initial batch? Thanks.

@gonnif @mehc012

I'm sure you two are tired of these questions but if you could just clarify this for me...

Do schools look at your LOR's when examining a primary to decide on whether or not to send that student a secondary? Meaning should I send my 2 LOR's now to all the schools I want to attend and hope to receive secondaries while I wait for my last LOR? Or will they likely not review that last LOR because it was not sent with the initial batch? Thanks.
Most schools do not look at LORs before the secondary. I don't personally know of any that screen for secondaries based on LORs, but policies vary by school, so if there are any you are particularly worried about, I'd ask them directly.

-

Just a small caveat to that... some certain schools will send you a secondary before your application is verified. They are provided with your contact information when you list them as a school, and they can contact you without looking at your application.