Submitting app and MCAT test date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pencap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum and if it has been answered before. I'm not even sure how to really word the question so it was tough to search for.

If I were to submit my app (in early June, next cycle) with a MCAT score, but indicate that I will be taking another MCAT the end of June/July, does the medical school committees look at my app or wait until the new score comes in? My MCAT is on the lower side and don't want to be immediately rejected before a new score is even seen.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They'll wait for the 2nd score before considering you complete.

Awesome, that's what I suspected. However, the poster above you stated it depends on the school.

Awesome, that's what I suspected. However, the poster above you stated it depends on the school.
I'd say that is by and far the majority. But there will be some schools that review and offer interviews based on your first score. I've seen many people reporting that here. And I imagine some schools do the opposite. That is why I opted to go with the less absolute phrasing. It depends on your specific circumstances. As Ismet said, I would expect that for the most part you will be put on hold until your new score comes in. But why not take the exam again before submitting so you don't have to worry about this?

Last edited:
I'd say that is by and far the majority. But there will be some schools that review and offer interviews based on your first score. I've seen many people reporting that here. And I imagine some schools do the opposite. That is why I opted to go with the less absolute phrasing. It depends on your specific circumstances. As Ismet said, I would expect that for the most part you will be put on hold until your new score comes in. But why not take the exam again before submitting so you don't have to worry about this?

Because if he waits for the 2nd score, he won't be submitting until August.

Here's a middle ground: Submit AMCAS whenever you want with 1 school. Then add on schools once you get the 2nd score.

Because if he waits for the 2nd score, he won't be submitting until August.

Here's a middle ground: Submit AMCAS whenever you want with 1 school. Then add on schools once you get the 2nd score.
Now I'm confused. I was suggesting he take it in, say, April. Then you neither have to wait nor speculate where to apply. Sorry about my unclear language.

Now I'm confused. I was suggesting he take it in, say, April. Then you neither have to wait nor speculate where to apply. Sorry about my unclear language.

And I'm just answering OP's hypothetical question. Maybe there are circumstances prohibiting him from simply taking it earlier. Or maybe he is planning to take it in May and then planning in the event of a retake.

Reactions: 1 user