Submitting Letter of Rec after Interview Invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notamindreader

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about whether or not it would be appropriate to submit an additional letter of recommendation to programs which have already offered me an interview invitation (I have not yet interviewed). Each of these programs have been provided with the requested number of "at least 3 LOR". What do you think would be appropriate?

With regards to submitting it to programs which I have not yet heard from, as long as they stipulate "at least 3", I figured it couldn't hurt. And with programs that just say "three", I am obviously not going to send it off to them.
I appreciate the feedback you all might provide. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Submit it. Just because we've "screened you in" for an interview doesn't mean we're done looking at your file. Also, when you interview many of your interviewers weren't involved in the screening/invitation process, and will be seeing all of your paper for the first time.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks very much for your response. That's definitely a helpful perspective to carry into the interview season.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never complained about an extra letter--especially in someone who's lready been 'screened in' (stealing OPDs term here).

Reactions: 1 user
I've never complained about an extra letter--especially in someone who's lready been 'screened in' (stealing OPDs term here).

I agree--but these are med students who got where they are today by follow the rules in precise detail...so it understandably makes them nervous.
Four is OK--but five is right out.:D

Reactions: 4 users