Submitting references

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luciferase.nerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just submitted my application last week. I contacted my references this week and was wondering what would be a reasonable timeframe to tell them to submit their letter. From my understanding it will take approx. 4-6 weeks for our AMCAS app to be verified... so it wouldn't really be advantageous to get the letters submitted before then. Would 2-4 weeks be a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

you should get them in as soon as possible

OP, you want them in ASAP. However, I don't think it's fair to ask for it to be faster than two weeks. So just ask your writers when they can have it done by. If they say anything longer than four weeks, suggest four weeks. If they just ask you for a deadline, say two weeks. That's just my humble advice to you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
and to be honest, it would only take them 1 day to write the letter. As one of my letter writer told me, she basically waits till the night of the deadline to write the letters

Thanks for the advice! I'll let them know they should aim for 2 weeks. But schools won't look at my apps until everything is verified and all of the required references are in, right?