subscriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghostface

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if we get free/discounts on subscriptions to journals such as nejm while in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes...it's a smorgasbord! On-line, not the paper version. Still have to pay for those, but you get a discount because you are a student. But this is not the case for every journal. And most of all it's free! :D

Napoleon4000 said:
Yes...it's a smorgasbord! On-line, not the paper version. Still have to pay for those, but you get a discount because you are a student. But this is not the case for every journal. And most of all it's free! :D

Nothing is free. You'll wake up one morning in a bathtub full of ice with a fresh scar over your kidney. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I get NEJM both online AND in print, which is best of course, for a discount as a medical student. The print + online deal is $65. Online alone is $45. Compared to $145/$99 for a physican, its a great deal. Just go to nejm.org and sign up. For a weekly journal, this is really really cheap, especially for THE medical journal to have.

sscooterguy

Well, by free I mean that, at least here it is part of your fees. Since we don't pay tuition. The fees for which you will pay cover the access to:

on-line texts!:
http://www.accessmedicine.com/home.aspx

and of course on-line journals:
through: www.pubmed.gov

and the library: Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library

hope this helps and clarifies. Alas, nothing is free except love and compassion. And maybe, just maybe, finding a "golden ticket." Regardless, when you go to med school you will have loads of resources available to you...hopefully already included in your fees.

hehe :oops:

ghostface said:
does anyone know if we get free/discounts on subscriptions to journals such as nejm while in medical school?

I think you join the AMA once you start school and get JAMA at a pretty reasonable price. Of course you could already get JAMA for pretty cheap as a student.

gonadotropins said:
I think you join the AMA once you start school and get JAMA at a pretty reasonable price. Of course you could already get JAMA for pretty cheap as a student.

yeah its only $68 for all 4 years for AMA membership and JAMA