Subspecialty in France & Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibt01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,
I want to know the following:
1) Being an Asian resident doctor, is there any obstacle for working in France after doing a sub-specialty in France
2)What are the most needed specialties for work in France
3) How much a regular resident doctor gets paid while doing his subspecialty in France
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear all,
I want to know the following:
1) Being an Asian resident doctor, is there any obstacle for working in France after doing a sub-specialty in France
2)What are the most needed specialties for work in France
3) How much a regular resident doctor gets paid while doing his subspecialty in France
Thanks
1- no there isn't. Most, if not everything in medicine in France work by concours ie very fiew interviews. As long as you managed to go through PACES/ex PCEM1 and DCEM4 with the ECN (= residency exams - you are ranked and obviously the first one get his choice of subspeciality and city and so on), do your residency there, there should be no obstacles.
2- all of them. In France there is a national cut off (ie around 7900 students are allowed to proceed to the 2nd year thus 7900 students take the ECN give or take and choose their speciality). But the less popular ones are: general medicine, public health, psychiatry
3- Not much. Not much at all. Around 1300 euros (basic salary) with some on call shift you can go up to 1500 euros-1800 euros maximum during 1st year. It increases afterwards but you will never go beyond the 3000 euros while in residency..

You should check websites such as e-carabin and remede.org to give you a better idea of how it works there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot for your kind reply, however i need more clarification on the below:

1) I meant working as doctor after doing the fellowship/sub-speciality (not the residency), is there any obstacle?

2) One more issue: After doing subspecialty in pediatrics in France by internationt student, Can one work a full week or 10 days (by staying guard in hospital as needed to fullfil the 4x35 hours needed working hours per month) and get paid the monthly salary?

Thanks again for your help

Thanks alot for your kind reply, however i need more clarification on the below:

1) I meant working as doctor after doing the fellowship/sub-speciality (not the residency), is there any obstacle?

2) One more issue: After doing subspecialty in pediatrics in France by internationt student, Can one work a full week or 10 days (by staying guard in hospital as needed to fullfil the 4x35 hours needed working hours per month) and get paid the monthly salary?

Thanks again for your help
1) You cannot work in France if you are not a EU graduate having completed your residency (+fellowship etc) in your EU country. Being american, from a USA school with a USA residency even with a French fellowship you are not eligible to directly work in France. In order to do so, you must take the 1st year of medicine, sit the exam and pass the cutoff (for Toulouse for about 1,500 students, they take the first 79). From then, you will be directly admitted to their 6th year which is DCEM4. There you will sit the ECN a national exam which depending on your ranking allows you to pick a speciality and a city. After that you will be able to enter the French residency programme and ultimately graduate and be allowed to practice medicine even if you do your subspeciality in France (impossible) or your fellowship (possible I guess but I never heard of that).

2) No you cannot do that in a hospital.

Reactions: 1 user