Success rate of those who applied with your cGPA and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I am a Junior studying Cell and Molecular Biology. I currently have a 3.86 Cum and 3.7 Science. I want so badly to be a DO, it is my dream to serve those in need with the knowledge and training provided by a DO program. Unfortunately, I got a 20 on my first MCAT. I am Latina so my chances statistically are not terrible (40% chance of acceptance), but I am wondering whether or not to apply to my first choice (VCOM) as well as a few other schools or wait. I don't want to rush into the 2015 MCAT because I am not conditioned or prepared for the material and time required for that exam just yet. I will need many months of practice.

Current options:
1) Apply this cycle and see what happens...
2) Wait until I graduate and focus for 6 months on MCAT studying ONLY (no job or school) and retake it to apply for that next cycle.
3) Apply for a post-bacc program that has a linkage agreement and then take the MCAT after that (2 years after graduation).

Help? Suggestions? Advice? ALL IS APPRECIATED.

Thank you.
Please start your own thread in the What are my Chances forum to get the best responses. Then come back and edit out all but one character in your post above. Very few readers will see your questions in this location.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you get chances based on ethnicity?? I am from Pakistan, green card holder. giving new mcat applying to DO and MD schools. Is it lower acceptance rates based on my ethnicity? Do i HAVE to verify??

How do you get chances based on ethnicity?? I am from Pakistan, green card holder. giving new mcat applying to DO and MD schools. Is it lower acceptance rates based on my ethnicity? Do i HAVE to verify??
You will not be disadvantaged by your race or ethnicity. You do not even have to specify if you do not care to . Some communities in the US have so few physicians that active efforts are made to recruit those most likely to serve them. This includes those members of these communities that have validated their commitment to this service.

You are posting a query on a "sticky." You might be better served by posting in a forum with traffic that will produce a variety of responses (like WAMC or pre-allo...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any update yet?

Reactions: 1 user
No update?
I mean, it's not like we're owed one. If you feel like crunching the most recent numbers, feel free to post them for the rest of us, though!

HI SDN Community :)
I really need some help on where I should apply.

AMCAS INFO:
BCPM GPA: 3.66 (freshman 2.73/sophmore 4.00/junior 4.00)
AO GPA: 3.81 (freshman 3.67/sophmore 3.73/junior 4.00)

MCAT INFO:
Test date Aug 21, 2015
Overall Score: 508 (ChemPhys 126/CARS 127/Bio 130/PsychSoc 125)

Extracurriculars:
1. Unpaid Tutor Certified by my school's Biology and Chemistry Department (Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, General Biology I)
2. General Biology I TA - 1 Year
3. Mobile Clinic for Migrant workers in the U.S. - 2 weeks
4. MCAT and admissions prep program - 2 months (Cultural competency workshops, shadowing etc)
5. Dean's List and Honor Roll (4th year)
6. ASBMB Member and elected treasurer for 2015-2016 Academic Year - (Organized a a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Symposium at my school, outreach activities, journal clubs, and summer program application workshops)
7. Research at an Immunology and Histocompatibility Lab for 1 Year - the abstract of our research project was published on the American Journal of Transplantation (My name appears on the Abstract)
8. Sports events production company - I've worked for this company since 11th grade
9. Shadowed a Transplant Surgeon

extra info.
- I'm Puerto Rican and I live in Puerto Rico so English is my second language.
- 4th year Molecular and Cell Biology Student

HI SDN Community :)
I really need some help on where I should apply.

AMCAS INFO:
BCPM GPA: 3.66 (freshman 2.73/sophmore 4.00/junior 4.00)
AO GPA: 3.81 (freshman 3.67/sophmore 3.73/junior 4.00)

MCAT INFO:
Test date Aug 21, 2015
Overall Score: 508 (ChemPhys 126/CARS 127/Bio 130/PsychSoc 125)

Extracurriculars:
1. Unpaid Tutor Certified by my school's Biology and Chemistry Department (Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, General Biology I)
2. General Biology I TA - 1 Year
3. Mobile Clinic for Migrant workers in the U.S. - 2 weeks
4. MCAT and admissions prep program - 2 months (Cultural competency workshops, shadowing etc)
5. Dean's List and Honor Roll (4th year)
6. ASBMB Member and elected treasurer for 2015-2016 Academic Year - (Organized a a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Symposium at my school, outreach activities, journal clubs, and summer program application workshops)
7. Research at an Immunology and Histocompatibility Lab for 1 Year - the abstract of our research project was published on the American Journal of Transplantation (My name appears on the Abstract)
8. Sports events production company - I've worked for this company since 11th grade
9. Shadowed a Transplant Surgeon

extra info.
- I'm Puerto Rican and I live in Puerto Rico so English is my second language.
- 4th year Molecular and Cell Biology Student
Hey,
not trying to brush you off or anything, but this is not the appropriate place for this post, simply because you are not likely to get useful responses.
Stickied at the top of the main Pre-Medical forum is a 'What are My chances' (possibly abbreviated to WAMC) subforum where you can make your own thread, where you will get responses from people who look at these things frequently.

Any one have idea how this information compares to the new MCAT scores (out of 528 now)

Hopefully more data are out soon. I'm curious how @sector9 success rate analysis may change with the new MCAT around, but we'll have to wait until, say, around Spring 2017 for solid data.
It will be years. So many current applicants rushed to take the old MCAT that relatively few in this admissions cycle are new MCAT only.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a lot of requests for my conversion table to get its own sticky and shot the mods a message but never happened :shrug:

It will be years. So many current applicants rushed to take the old MCAT that relatively few in this admissions cycle are new MCAT only.
Interesting, I thought I read somewhere that it was expected to be about 50-50

Hey everyone...I could really use your help. Unsure where I should apply...I Graduated from a top 30 university back in 2014 with a BS in Psychology. Interested in psychiatry. Here are my stats:

-Cumulative GPA: 3.61
-Science GPA: 3.52 (2 W's, retook for A-'s)
-MCAT Scores: 10/6/10, 129/124/127/127, [waiting for scores]
-Research: 12 months linguistics/cognitive neuroscience, 8 month neuropsych with poster presentation, secondary author in a textbook chapter overviewing pediatric psychiatric disorders
-Employment history: mental health counselor on an inpatient psych ward (2014-present), runner/busser in high school+college
-Volunteering (clinical): dementia outpatient unit my senior year of high school (6 hrs/wk); EMT (12-24 hours/month) in college (sophomore-senior year)
-Non-clinical volunteering: youth basketball coach, homeless shelter event organizer
-Physician shadowing: 40 hours orthopedic surgeon, 40 hours hematology/oncology
-4 great LOR's: 2 research, 1 professor, 1 psych ward nurse manager

I realize my GPA/MCAT= borderline for many MD programs. Given my profile and interest in psychiatry, am I even competitive for low tier MD programs (if so, where)? What about DO programs?

Thank you!!!

Hey everyone...I could really use your help. Unsure where I should apply...I Graduated from a top 30 university back in 2014 with a BS in Psychology. Interested in psychiatry. Here are my stats:

-Research: 12 months linguistics/cognitive neuroscience, 8 month neuropsych with poster presentation, secondary author in a textbook chapter overviewing pediatric psychiatric disorders
-Employment history: mental health counselor on an inpatient psych ward (2014-present), runner/busser in high school+college
-Volunteering (clinical): dementia outpatient unit my senior year of high school (6 hrs/wk); EMT (12-24 hours/month) in college (sophomore-senior year)
-Non-clinical volunteering: youth basketball coach, homeless shelter event organizer

I realize my GPA/MCAT= borderline for many MD programs. Given my profile and interest in psychiatry, am I even competitive for low tier MD programs (if so, where)? What about DO programs?

Thank you!!!
Hey, I'm not going to respond to this here because it would be derailing to a long-term stats thread. However, as a heads up, if you post this in the WAMC forum (stickied at the top of Pre-Allo) you'll get responses from a lot of people, some of whom with plenty of experience in this sort of advice/evaluation. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
This is all so depressing at times. I watch VLOGS on YouTube and they seem to be having fun and I know they have their own stuff but here I am trying to re learn Ochem sitting in my room with the blinds closed cause it's so hot.

This is great! what would you say the chances are for someone who has good grades otherwise but has Cs in some upper level biology courses? Thanks.

This is great! what would you say the chances are for someone who has good grades otherwise but has Cs in some upper level biology courses? Thanks.
If those Cs are recent and represent a downward grade trend, then chances are likely to be lower than the graphs at the beginning of this thread would imply. If the Cs were followed by consistent excellent science grades over the following year, then chances would be higher.

If those Cs are recent and represent a downward grade trend, then chances are likely to be lower than the graphs at the beginning of this thread would imply. If the Cs were followed by consistent excellent science grades over the following year, then chances would be higher.
What if it was in a masters :/ it's not a hard core SMP.its in bioscience so some business mixed with science but I am getting mostly A's with a couple B's

What if it was in a masters :/ it's not a hard core SMP.its in bioscience so some business mixed with science but I am getting mostly A's with a couple B's
The graphed data at the beginning of this thread refers only to GPAs of AMCAS applicants and doesn't take into account grad school grades. If you want detailed input about your odds and your personal situation, consider starting your own thread in the What are my Chances? section.

This is racism. A black person has 80 percent chance with the same stats as an asian (who has a 20 percent chance)....

This is racism. A black person has 80 percent chance with the same stats as an asian (who has a 20 percent chance)....

They do that because Hispanics and Blacks are more underprivileged, I mean most inner city ghettos are populated by them. Asians, even though representing the smaller population of the nation, probably have a higher percentage of successful within their demographics thus giving them a handicap. But I agree that it's a load of bull to have such a big deviation for acceptance rates between the two groups. If I were to get a 3.6 sgpa and 95 percentile on the MCAT your telling me a black/hispanic person with a 3.1 gpa and 80th percentile has the same chance, bunch of bs. But schools got to fill a quota too, and probably have to take in a percentage of "under represented" students.

Thank you!!!

According to the stats if you're black or hispanic, you have nothing to worry about.

They do that because Hispanics and Blacks are more underprivileged, I mean most inner city ghettos are populated by them. Asians, even though representing the smaller population of the nation, probably have a higher percentage of successful within their demographics thus giving them a handicap. But I agree that it's a load of bull to have such a big deviation for acceptance rates between the two groups. If I were to get a 3.6 sgpa and 95 percentile on the MCAT your telling me a black/hispanic person with a 3.1 gpa and 80th percentile has the same chance, bunch of bs. But schools got to fill a quota too, and probably have to take in a percentage of "under represented" students.

It is what it is. Do they have any way of checking our actual ethnicity? lol