Success stories VR 7 or lower

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janus_Kinase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely do not retake, I'll message you!

I was at the UC Davis Pre-Health Conference, and a speaker from admission committee said that for anyone who wants to be considered for med school, they at least have to get a 7 or better in verbal (in the other sections as well). with your stats and background, I am confident you can do well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at the UC Davis Pre-Health Conference, and a speaker from admission committee said that for anyone who wants to be considered for med school, they at least have to get a 7 or better in verbal (in the other sections as well). with your stats and background, I am confident you can do well :)
Thanks! That is good news considering I will be applying to Davis.

And to anyone who is reading this, I wish you all great year filled with great news :)

Hi all,

I am just looking for some insight. So a little about me:
-22yr old hispanic male, esl, born in the U.S. but moved at an early age to Mexico, and moved back to the U.S. in early-ish teens.
-scored a 29 (10/7/12) which wasn't ideal but decided not to retake.
- cGPA: 3.65, sGPA:3.61
- tons of leadership roles, tons non-clinical volunteer with some long term unique organizations, clinical direct-patient experience, paid research experience, health related internships, scribing soon.
- working on PS and think will have strong LORs
- CA resident hoping to stay here but will definitely apply broadly next cycle.

So for those who just interviewed, or med students, did a low VR score ever come up in an interview? If so how did you approach that question? Is there anything I can do to show I am trying to improve verbal (I have been reading more in spare time) besides a retake?

Thank you for reading!
It may come up and you will have to explain the discrepancy between your numbers. But I think once they read your application, they may read and understand why.

Antonio Webb, M.D.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident