Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm waiting on Michigan, just wondering when you withdrew? At first they didn't use anyone from the waiting list to fill the class so I'm curious to see how many people are dropping their seats now.

I emailed them on the 15th and they confirmed on the 16th. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Sorry, didn't realize you responded.. UC Berkeley Extension. You from California?

Hey.. I got called off the Cornell waitlist and I'm pretty much 100% sure I'm going there (actually got a lease sent over to me today). Withdrew from Michigan.. going to call next week to take myself off of the rest of the waitlists so that I can stop with the what-ifs.. Who are you waiting to hear from?
Oh okay, yes in irvine area! Debating about whether or not to do a formal post bacc or just to do courses on my own through extension and such. I have a psych degree from UCLA and would like to raise my current gpa (3.3) before applying.

Oh okay, yes in irvine area! Debating about whether or not to do a formal post bacc or just to do courses on my own through extension and such. I have a psych degree from UCLA and would like to raise my current gpa (3.3) before applying.
Ahhhh I see.. yea, I did the post bacc health professions program through the UCB extension. I think the benefit of doing the program versus just taking the classes independently is that you do have access to academic counselors... which can sometimes be helpful. I found that most people in the program I was in were mostly pre-med so the counselors weren't THAT helpful giving advise on classes/applications... but at least can help with PS and practicing interviews. Also, by being in the program I had priority enrollment.. the classes didn't really fill up too quickly but it was nice to have access to class schedules before they were posted to the public... and also just knowing your class schedule sooner than later.. oh.. and priority in labs helped because you can be more choosey with time/location.

Also, I was a psych major too.. pretty much only had the stats pre-req and had to get everything else later on. I don't know what classes UCLA requires for psych.. but I imagine that you should have plenty of opportunity to increase your GPA.. especially the last 45 units. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty much 100% set on my decision so I’m

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Like others have said, this thread was nauseating to read in past years and really didn't give me much hope, but I'm very happy to be adding my info this year so that future applicants can use my stats as a comparison. Every school weighs certain aspects of the application differently, so don't be discouraged if your numbers aren't perfect. Mine certainly weren't.

1st time applicant, 21 years old female, Pennsylvania resident
Major:
B.S. Biology/ Chemistry Minor
Undergrad: Graduation May 2014 from small private, liberal arts university (~2,300 students)

Applied: UPenn, VMRCVM, Missouri, Iowa, Purdue, Auburn, Western, RVC, Edinburgh, SGU, Ross
Rejected: UPenn, VMRCVM, RVC
Declined Interviews: Auburn, Western, Ross (I would have gone, but I was already accepted elseware).
Interviewed: Missouri, Iowa, Purdue, SGU
Wait Listed: Iowa, Purdue (accepted off waiting list, but declined offer)
Accepted: Missouri, SGU, Edinburgh (no interview)
Attending: MIZZOU! :soexcited:

Cumulative GPA: 3.59
Science GPA (bio, chem, physics): 3.46
Last 45 credit hrs GPA: 3.68

GRE: Verbal- 150, Quantitative- 152, Writing- 4.0 (best of 2 attempts :unsure:)

Vet hours: 560 hours total
- 430 hrs small/mixed animal (employed as vet assistant and shadowing at 2 different private practices)
- 80 hrs summer HSVMA-RAVS small animal spay/neuter/vaccine field clinic on the Lakota Sioux Lower Brule reservation in SD
- 35 hrs equine (acupuncture and chiropractics- farm calls)
- 15 hrs poultry (I'm a certified poultry tech by the PA Dept. of Agriculture- certified in infectious disease testing via cloacal/tracheal swabs and blood work)

Animal hours: 2,600 hours total (pet-sitting, shelter, kennel, farm)
- I live on a small hobby farm, and my family has raised chickens and goats my entire life. I low-balled my hours for this because it's considered pet ownership, but we did run an egg business for about 10 years with a steady customer base. We have had up to 60 laying hens at one time.

Research: 240 hours total
- 200 hrs "Effects of N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET) on the sexual development and sexual differentiation of Rana pipiens (Northern Leopard Frog)"- presented pilot study at my university's research symposium alongside my research poster; this is original research and there has not been any documented evidence on this particular topic to date
- 40 hrs pond macroinvertebrate study- also produced a poster

Additional info (employment, honors/awards, extra curriculars):
- employed as a chem lab prep student assistant for 4 yrs
- summer bio camp counselor at my university- summer 2013
- employed as an admissions ambassador at my university, 2 yrs
- employed part-time at a local pizza place for 5 yrs
- Deans List- 4 semesters
- won 2013 Service and Leadership Award at my university
- earned Girl Scout Gold Award in HS
- I am the head Girl Scout summer day camp director for my region (3 yrs)- I manage 120 girls, 40 counselors, and all volunteers; and coordinate all activities throughout the week as well as manage the budget
- member of Tri-Beta National Bio Honor Society, 3 yrs
- member of my university's Honor's Program, 4 yrs
- member of SAFE, a sexual assault prevention group at school, 4 yrs
- member of Peer Advocates, 4 yrs (coordinator for 2012-2013 academic year)
- First year experience (FYE) upperclassman student facilitator, 3 yrs (unpaid)
- selected as NCCWSL student rep from my university; attended 2013 national women's leadership conference
- selected as Middle States student rep for my university's reaccredidation committee
- chem club member
- jazz band member, 3 yrs
- church hand-bell choir, 7 yrs

eLORS:
- DVM, small animal vet I've shadowed for 8 yrs
- DVM, equine acupuncture vet
- PhD, research advisor
- Executive Director of Enrollment Management at my university

Personal Statement:
I started off with a story about how during the summer of 2012 I took the longest road trip of my life, driving nearly 1,500 miles cross country from PA to SD to volunteer with the HSVMA-RAVS on a veterinary service trip to a Lakota Sioux reservation. I talked about having my doubts, but how the experience reconfirmed my interest in vet med and how humbling and rewarding the trip was. I also talked about where I see myself in the future, and the area of veterinary medicine that interests me most.

Thoughts:
Although my GRE wasn't very good and my GPA was pretty average, I think the diversity of my experiences really intrigued admissions committees. My vet and animal experiences were diverse, and I also held various leadership positions in extra curriculars within my school and community. I also felt that all my interviews went very well and positively contributed to being granted acceptances or placed on waiting lists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Can we add a new section of information to this of whether or not someone is a minority applicant?

Can we add a new section of information to this of whether or not someone is a minority applicant?
That doesn't really apply to 99% of the applicant pool. I think we have a total of 4 African American students throughout all four years at Ohio State, as an example. Most applicants are middle class, Caucasian females.

Hm. Well, vet med does need more diversity. MSU definitely covets diversity, although it's not really reflective in my class (2017 is much more diverse than 2016). It definitely does not hurt to include your ethnicity, so why not? I would love to see more diversity in vet med (coming from a white female aka the majority of ved med.)

Reactions: 1 users
Hm. Well, vet med does need more diversity. MSU definitely covets diversity, although it's not really reflective in my class (2017 is much more diverse than 2016). It definitely does not hurt to include your ethnicity, so why not? I would love to see more diversity in vet med (coming from a white female aka the majority of ved med.)
Not to get off topic but I think schools weigh to much on skin color as a diversity factor. In my mind skin color has very little to do with diversity it should be more about economic status.

Not to get off topic but I think schools weigh to much on skin color as a diversity factor. In my mind skin color has very little to do with diversity it should be more about economic status.
Please, let's not make this thread politically charged. Thank you!

Wasn't heading in that direction with my comment. I don't think schools add extra points to your profile based on your ethnicity. I was just commenting on the low diversity in vet med.

As part of a file review for admission, MSU considers economical/social hurdles/disadvantages. The supplemental allows you to explain this.

I'm waiting on Michigan, just wondering when you withdrew? At first they didn't use anyone from the waiting list to fill the class so I'm curious to see how many people are dropping their seats now.
curious as well was MI your instate?

Members don't see this ad :)
1st time applicant
25 year old female, MO resident
Master's- Biology (wildlife-animal behavior and conservation)
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry/Art
Applied: Mizzou
Rejected:
Interviewed: Mizzou
Waitlisted:
Accepted: Mizzou
Overall GPA: 3.49 Undergrad/ 3.88 Master's
Science GPA: 3.85
Last 45: 3.95
GRE (Quant,Verbal,Writing):
Other School Things:
Undergraduate research- 2 wildlife projects- (Spatial Learning in Northern Water Snakes, Predator Avoidance in Ringneck Snakes)
Master's Research- Effects of Temperature on Foraging, Sprint Speed, and Endurance in Cottonmouths and Watersnakes
Post Master's Research- 3 projects (Responses of larval ringed salamanders to cues from cannibalistic conspecifics; Can larval ringed salamanders learn that novel stimuli are "risky" and "safe" (latent inhibition); Embryonic Learning in freshwater snails)
Bio for non-majors TA-1 semester; Ecology TA- 1 semester
2000+ hours- Trained in handling of venomous snakes
Animal Experience:
3000+ hours lab animal experience

Vet Experience
250+ Small animal

Employment
Missouri State University- (2 years)
-Lab Supervisor-supervisor for the behavioral ecology lab (study salamanders and fishes)
-Outreach Coordinator - coordinate science outreach for junior high and high school students
-Pre-vet advisor for BIO department
Ozarks Technical Community College- Instructor (lecture and lab)- Bio 100 and Lifetime wellness

Volunteer
200+ hours Ozarks Science and Engineering Fair; Missouri Science Olympiad; Missouri Junior Academy of Science; Missouri Wonders of Wildlife museum
Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (2 years)- Grand Award's Judge- Animal Science (Animal Behavior)

LORs:
Master's advisor/co-worker
Undergrad advisor/co-worker
2 DVM's I worked for at the small animal clinic
Advising chair/co-worker

Personal Statement- I mostly talked about the development of my interest in science (as I child I hated school). I also briefly talked about why I wanted to go to Mizzou (it's the only school I applied to). My brother's first year of law school they took his dog on for free cancer treatment. My brother's dog was his everything, and he was only 8 years old. So this was a huge deal for me, and the reason I decided I only wanted to attend MU for my DVM. I spent a TON of time on my personal statement, since my undergrad grades were not great.

:') Excited to be finally posting on here! Sometimes things don’t go as planned, and you just have to deal with it! Reading past successful stats really give a good idea of what schools are looking for and I can’t be more thankful for having you guys as a resource. I think I’m pretty solid with my final decision so I thought I’d post it here for people to see; hopefully you can see that a bad first/second year does not mean anything, you CAN bring it up and still get into vet school J

1st time applicant
Male, 22 years old, BC resident
Graduating in May, 2014 from the University of British Columbia

Major: Honours Animal Biology
Applied:RVC, Edinburgh, WCVM

Rejected:RVC
Interviewed:WCVM

Accepted:Edinburgh! (4 yr w/o interview)
Still Waiting: WCVM
Attending:undecided

Cumulative GPA (at time of app):3.45
Science GPA:According to VMCAS, 3.5
Last 45 GPA:4.0! I worked super hard in the last four semesters.

GRE (V/Q/W):154/162/5.0 once and only once! The verbal section really frustrated me. I spent a lot of effort on the essays, so when it got to the reading comprehension part my eyes were just too tired from reading words on a screen

Veterinary Experience:
- 1400 hours volunteering at a small animal clinic with one vet with an interest in dentistry

-500 hours working at the same small animal clinic with one vet with an interest in orthaepedics
-50 hours at the university dairy research centre with a post-doc researcher

-7 hours shadowing a local zoo veterinarian at the zoo

-2 hours observing a dairy cow herd veterinarian

Animal Experience:

-50 hours at a wildlife rehabilitation centre specialized in raptor care

-30 hours assessing the living conditions of a pig operation on an island community
-15 hours volunteering for a small-scale cattle ranch

-10 hours volunteering a cat sanctuary

-5 hours training bar-headed geese in a research project

-6 hours assessing a community salmon hatchery

-7 hours shadowing an intensive dairy farm

-7 hours shadowing another intensive dairy farm

Research:
-75 hours collecting data for my undergraduate honours thesis on two wild hawks

-50 hours observing video observations of kangaroo rats

Other Employment:
-216 hours working at the university library

Honors and Awards:
-scholarships started suddenly racking up in the last four semesters, but because this was during application time I didn’t get to put all of them in my VMCAS app; ranging from a high school entrance scholarship to being the top student in the faculty; 7 total
Extra-Curriculars:
-Pre-vet club Fundraising Coordinator, Vice-President, and President (over 3 consecutive years)

-Finance for Youth Promotions Coordinator (annual financial literacy conference catered to high school students)
-Cross Country
-Went to a rural village in Mongolia for two weeks to build a school

-Church hospitality and care team

-Church children’s club

-bunch of high school stuff I won’t bother including here
eLORs:
-DVM from small animal clinic
-Associate Dean of my major

-PhD mentor for my honours thesis

-Postdoc researcher

Personal Statement:
My PS was a story about how I was in rural Mongolia, and I was shocked to see how stray dogs were treated in comparison to their “domesticated” counterparts. I then moved into how I started off volunteering at a small animal clinic, starting off with folding towels and then eventually moving onto becoming a surgical assistant in several cases. I talked about a slow start with my grades, but in the last two years I managed to pull it up to a 4.0 gpa and diversify my experiences. I ended with saying how I was concerned with the way some wildlife rehabilitation centers euthanize their mice, so I designed an honours undergraduate thesis to remediate the problem and provide ethical suggestions.

I had it read over by a few classmates/friends/family/SDN’ers and then just went and handed it in.

Thoughts:I did not realize it until my interview, but I actually missed out on the commercial production scale of animal experiences. I should have probably went to an abattoir, a beef cattle ranch, and possibly a layer hen/broiler hen operation. But I think knowledge-wise, my experience was adequate for a good overall picture of what veterinarians commit themselves to doing. It also helped that I took many animal welfare classes that went over the use of animals in most commercial industries, so I think I was well-prepared, at least theoretically.

My grades started off SUPER low. I think VMCAS calculated my first year GPA to be about 2.96 or something ridiculous like that. But in 3rd/4th year I managed to get a 4.0 so it balanced it out a bit. Definitely don’t let first year discourage you!

As you can see my GPA (3.45) was nowhere close to perfect, but good enough to at least be considered seriously by two schools.

I came into university wanting to go to RVC so I was actually quite disappointed when I got rejected. I still am because I always saw RVC as my ‘dream school’, enhanced even more when I went to London to visit the school facilities. I suppose nothing can be done now (I honestly think the competition next year will get even harder) so I am opting for Edinburgh for now. It appears to be a great school and I’d love to live there. Just so you guys know not to put all your eggs in one basket. Schools can change dramatically within the course of a few years so some flexibility is necessary.

WCVM is still in the back of my mind but a recent tour there changed my mind a bit about how the school works and what sort of veterinarians they train. Feel free to PM me for more specific reasons heh and Good LUCK to all future applicants!

FINALLY.....finally I get to post here too! It has been a 15 year road to get here and I was really afraid that it wasn't gonna happen. I was stupid in my youth and just wanted to get out and do. I did not enjoy college the first time around for many reasons and never thought that I would go further than the first degree. Little did I know what my future would hold. As I started this journey, my husband and I had a nearly fatal automobile accident. I had to take a break from classes while recovering and life got in the way as I tried to begin again in 2002. Finally, in 2008, I decided to just go for it and I finished a second degree and gained a ton of confidence. I am so lucky to have the support system and believers that I do and I thank them all daily. I hope they will continue to stick with me. I've tried to teach my kids that if you put your mind and hard work to something, then you can do anything and NOW....I have proved it! Woo Hoo!!!!!

And yes, I am a bit embarrassed by my numbers but....oh well!

4th time applicant
Female, 41 years old, KY resident
Graduated May 2012 from EKU with 2nd B.S.
B.A. Equine Management in 1995
A.A. Computer Information Systems in 1995
B.S. Biology in 2012 with minor in Agriculture

4th application cycle

Applied: Auburn, Mississippi State, Tuskegee, LMU, SGU, Iowa
Rejected: Iowa, SGU, LMU
Rejected after interview: Auburn, Mississippi State
Interviewed: Auburn, Mississippi State, Tuskegee
Waitlisted: Tuskegee
Attending: Tuskegee

Cumulative GPA (with every retake): 2.71
Science GPA: 2.99
Last 45 GPA: 3.3

best GRE (V/Q/W):156/143/4.0 taken 4 times....never doing it again!

Veterinary Experience:
- 23,000 hours working at various SA GP, ER, and exotic practices

-5 hours shadowing with an equine veterinarian with an acupuncture and lameness interest

-9 hours shadowing a zoo veterinarian at the Louisville zoo

-5 hours shadowing at a mixed practice that did dairy cattle

Animal Experience:

- unknown (probably like ~150 hours) hours in wildlife rehab of baby squirrels

- 1240 hours working at a boarding kennel for dogs/cats

-864 hours working as a trainer's assistant for a reining horse trainer

-1240 hours working as veterinary technician for local humane society

- 2905 hours working as Thoroughbred sales prep groom

-870 hours working as a foaling barn attendant for Thoroughbred broodmares

- 700 hours working as a polo horse groom

-13,000 hours volunteering with a trail riding stable in my home area

Research:
NONE

Other Employment:
- a million other things although most of my employment history is with animals

Extra-Curriculars:

- Pre-vet club president for EKU: restarted the defunct club; engaged faculty mentors; engaged campus participation and interest

-State rescue coordinator/foster home for Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue, Inc

-Foster home for local humane society

-High school mascot during my senior year

-High school science club

- National Art Honor Soceity

-Yearbook staff

eLORs:
-DVM from current small animal and exotic clinic
-Professor from EKU
-ER DVM from first veterinary clinic that I ever worked for

Personal Statement:
I decided that I wanted to tell a story that I felt, gave a good deal of insight to me and who I am. I also wanted it to be interesting versus a dry reiteration of my experiences. I discussed my auto accident, my kids and being a parent, and how that all tied into my journey through the animal world and my endless pursuit of veterinary medicine.

Reactions: 17 users
wow what an amazing story hotfillyky! so happy for you!! :D

Thank you, swingnsave!

@Lab Vet, Not to embarrass you, but you are on the Animal Science Department page for Rutgers!! You are so awesome, congrats!! and yes, your picture is still hanging up, I practically lived in Bartlett Hall last year and spent a lot of time looking at it :)

http://animalsciences.rutgers.edu/alumni/alumnibio.html#szucsik

Viva Cook College!!
Ha! Awesome that it was posted!! I LOVE my Alma Mater (if that didn't come through loud and clear from the statement :) I tell everyone I can about my positive experience at Rutgers. When I traveled to NCSU for admitted students weekend, the CVM's Director of Student Services told me that many an NCSU OOSer came from RU, and that our Alma Mater puts out fabulous pre-vet students, who turn out to be great veterinarians. I'm glad that you liked my drawing. It was a labor of love creating it, and it warms my heart that the gift still hangs in Bartlett's main office. I do wish that I lived closer to Jersey (when I move to Raleigh, I will!). If I lived in closer proximity, I would visit more often than I'm currently able. The RU Department of Animal Sciences changed my life. I will be forever grateful to my faculty mentors in Animal Sciences. They remain my good friends to this day.

Best of success at Colorado (wonderful school, by the way!). When are you moving? I head out to Raleigh (from Utah) in 8 weeks. Yikes!

FINALLY.....finally I get to post here too! It has been a 15 year road to get here and I was really afraid that it wasn't gonna happen. I was stupid in my youth and just wanted to get out and do. I did not enjoy college the first time around for many reasons and never thought that I would go further than the first degree. Little did I know what my future would hold. As I started this journey, my husband and I had a nearly fatal automobile accident. I had to take a break from classes while recovering and life got in the way as I tried to begin again in 2002. Finally, in 2008, I decided to just go for it and I finished a second degree and gained a ton of confidence. I am so lucky to have the support system and believers that I do and I thank them all daily. I hope they will continue to stick with me. I've tried to teach my kids that if you put your mind and hard work to something, then you can do anything and NOW....I have proved it! Woo Hoo!!!!!

You are such an inspiration!! I was super duper excited for you when I saw your post on FB! :claps:

no im OOS, but they said they didn't use anyone from the waitlist to fill the class
For both? I know IS and OOS have different lists. I haven't called to ask, I don't want to the 'that person' who calls once a week lol

Curious does anyone have info on the IS waiting list so far? I've heard rumors they've filled the class with original offers. But I've also heard they don't start sending out IS alternate acceptances until later than OOS. I don't want to stress myself thinking the class is full but I would like to know if I should start working on the reapplication process lol It would be just my luck that when I'm #1 on the IS wait list it also just so happens to be the first year in the university's history they don't accept any IS wait listers...

For both? I know IS and OOS have different lists. I haven't called to ask, I don't want to the 'that person' who calls once a week lol

Curious does anyone have info on the IS waiting list so far? I've heard rumors they've filled the class with original offers. But I've also heard they don't start sending out IS alternate acceptances until later than OOS. I don't want to stress myself thinking the class is full but I would like to know if I should start working on the reapplication process lol It would be just my luck that when I'm #1 on the IS wait list it also just so happens to be the first year in the university's history they don't accept any IS wait listers...

Yes, they did fill the class with the original offers. I was told that if there is any movement at all (students accepting elsewhere, etc) , it has most often happened in May and June in the past.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'm still hoping to hear from one of these waitlists (fingers crossed).. but either way, I'm going to be a vet!!:soexcited:Thought I would post my stats since I'm a "non-traditional" applicant.. Got my BA in psychology (actually started as an art major) with hopes of pursuing a masters in therapy or social work.. found out quickly after working in a "social work" setting that it wasn't for me.... started my path to vet med and took all of my pre-reqs in the last 3yrs while gaining experience in the field... it's been a winding path but finally looks like I'm figuring it out!
Applied: UC Davis (IS), Michigan State, Mizzou, Cornell, Wisconsin, Colorado, Illinois
Interview: UC Davis, Mizzou, Illinios (declined due to travel costs/low chance of getting in/already accepted somewhere)
Rejected: Colorado
Waitlisted: UC Davis, Cornell, Wisconsin, Mizzou
Accepted: MSU
Attending: As of now, MSU. May change depending on if I get called off of any of these waitlists!

28, female, first time/non-traditional applicant
B.A. in Psychology, post-bacc program to obtain pre-reqs
cGPA: 3.67
science GPA: 3.73 (included some randoms from undergrad..... history of dinosaurs... really?)
last 45 GPA: 3.81
GRE: Q-160 (78%), V-158 (78%), A- 3.5 (54%)

Vet Experience:
2900 hours : Vet assistant at a small animal practice (paid). Did everything that a vet tech was allowed to do at the practice except for anesthesia induction.
200 hours: volunteer hospital assistant at an animal shelter. Helped vet techs and DVMs perform exams, administered meds/vaccines, cleaned, various medication baths and treatments (ringworm, yay!). Briefly helped in the spay/neuter clinic.
50 hours: volunteer vet assistant on a World Vets trip. Prepped patients for surgery, monitored anesthesia and recovery, community outreach.
8 hours: one of the days with World Vets was spent running a horse clinic.. only large animal experience I've had..

Research Experience:
200 hours: volunteer research assistant under an MD (pediatric anesthesiologist). Helped with behavioral/memory testing on rats.

Animal Experience:
800 hours: Receptionist at same small animal private practice... later became a vet assistant.
600 hours: dog washer at Petco
1700 hour: kennel manager at cat only boarding facility.
** included some pet ownership on supplementals for schools that didn't mind it **

Employment Experience:
Various retail/sales jobs: part-time throughout undergrad
Camp counselor: one summer working with children and adults with developmental disabilities.
After graduation I worked in a management position in a supported living agency for adults with developmental disabilities.. worked there for about a year and that is when I decided to change paths...

Honors/Awards:
Dean's List
Phi Theta Kappa
NSCS
Various volleyball awards in HS

Extracurricular/Activities:
Varsity and club volleyball year round in HS
Volleyball coach- coached 14yr old girls team for one season before entering college
Deaf Events- attended monthly coffee meet-up for people involved in the deaf community.. mainly did this while working with a deaf client. Also took sign language classes in college so used this time to practice.
Pre-vet club
Food bank/soup kitchen- volunteered a handful of times
Early learning program- volunteer in afterschool program for young kids
Arts and crafts- knitting, crocheting, and painting
Outdoor activities- biking, hiking, and gardening

Letters of Recommendation:
Small animal private practice vet/owner
Small animal private practice vet who did relief work once in a while
Chem/Ochem/Biochem professor
Committee letter by post-bacc health professions advisors
MD from research experience (only using for Cornell)

Explanation Statement:
Started off undergrad at a 4 yr... got lost, dropped out... went to a community college for a little bit.. finished off back at the 4 yr.. Listed "personal reasons" as the reason for jumping around schools. I felt like I needed to briefly explain this because of how funny my transcripts look.

Personal Statement:
I wrote about my indirect path to vet med. Started off as a psychology major looking to pursue a masters in psychology or social work.. decided it wasn't right and followed my interest in animals and vet med.. wrote about my experiences and how they will make me a better vet/understand the vet profession/etc.
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your posting because I am very similar in my school jumping and slacking off when I was younger. It gives me hope to see that you got in and did so well! :D

Adding in a bit late... hope for the nontraditionals!
2nd Time Applicant

1st Cycle:
Applied: Western
Interview offered: Western
Interview retracted: Western (My public speaking course was 2 credits instead of 3)

2nd Cycle
Applied: Mississippi, Oklahoma, Midwestern, St. Matthews
Interviewed: All
Accepted: Mississippi, Midwestern, St. Matthews
Rejected: Oklahoma (thanks in-state)
Attending: Midwestern

Overall GPA 3.2 (no retakes), 3.4 (with grade replace)
Science GPA 3.1
Last 45: 3.1 (my last 45 consisted of only science/math courses)

GRE: 158v 155q 3.5a (OkSU file review said this was in the top 75 percentile, so genius test takers not required!)

Vet Experience:
2,000 Equine vet assistant (mostly anesthesia and post surgical/ critical care management, but some lameness too)
(1,500 Equine- NOT LISTED ON APP, because I am so heavily equine and did not want there to be even a second thought that I might be exaggerating. However, if they look at the work experience, my level of experience is clearly demonstrated)
150 Shelter Med shadowing with hands on experience
120 Equine DVM chiropractor shadowing and hands on experience
20 Bovine shadowing
240 Mixed animal summer/fall paid undergraduate internship

Animal Experience
I didn't put much. I didn't want to clutter my application with farm sitting and pet ownership. I did mention I competed horses to the highest levels of dressage as that is a big factor in my desire to be an equine surgeon.

Employment:
1)Employed seasonally to full time from 15 years old to 24 years old with the same company starting at $7.00 to eventually a upper-mid 5 figure salary.
2) 3 years at equine clinic starting as horse holder and finishing as lead anesthesia "tech" which included supervising and training other staff. (I don't think this was actually listed as employment since its vet experience. I don't remember for certain.)

Awards:
To keep from cluttering my app with unimportant things, I condensed and reduced this section as much as possible.
- Mulitple dean/president lists (listed as one entry)
-2 time national sportsmanship award with major horse sport association
-listed previous national championships with horse as one entry
-State speech winner

Community:
This started out with a lot of things, but it covered the things I actually wanted the adcoms to see, so reduced to only a couple of entries:
National committee member for major horse sport association
"Team manager" for international JR/YR team (3 years)

Elors: Vet (employer, known nationally within specialty), Vet (intern I worked many day and night shifts with. I think the interns knew me on a more personal level than anyone else because you spends so many hours together and have lot of talks about vet school and future career.) Vet (shadowed and client of many years who was a big supporter of my career change!)

Personal statement: My attention grabber intro included a vet, but not a veterinary topic, so a very good chance my intro was unique and not "this again". I explained briefly (2 sentences) what inspired me to change careers and focused a paragraph on how my background is going to be a major asset to my future as a vet. I was specific including goals of developing a veterinary device I "invented" and how my business connections will actually allow me to streamline products efficiently from development to the consumer. I spent a paragraph explaining my goals for veterinary medicine are atypical and will allow me to standout as a graduate from my school. I wrote about the value of veterinary education to my goals. I made sure I answered all of the questions from the vmcas prompt even if I only used one sentence or the answer is more abstract (my previous career preparing me for vet school).

In the past, I had an admissions essay included in one of those books of "5 scoring essays", but I found this task harder. You cannot be as abstract and unique in a professional personal statement, yet unique and attention grabbing is of the utmost importance. I recommend to people to take the vmcas prompt and write down the straight forward answers, no matter how small. Try to make the list really long. Then only after you finish your list, allow yourself to day dream/ think through your list for stories than go with any of your items. It is a lot easier to think of stories after your have your content than to think up stories and place your "most important" content within them. A good, flowing, and sometimes themed story with moderate supporting examples is more important in this scenario than the most import content which doesn't really fit together. Human nature will skip to the next paragraph as soon as things falter in flow. The great thing you write about will never even be looked at.

I also took a different approach to my overall application compared to the commonly advised "put everything down you can think of" approach. If you have nothing that makes people stop and say "wow", or "huh" (in a good way), then quantity over content may be the best way to go. However, if you have something that sets you apart, those things won't be noticed in a 30 second to 2 minute screening of your entire application. Kick the clutter and put down only the things that make you different. If it doesn't even remotely make you better prepared, show leadership, a related skill, or influence your understanding of vet med, it might be best to leave it out. For example, I removed that I was MVP in softball at a regional championship tournament, because while it shows I worked hard at something for years and was rewarded, none of those skills really prepared me or will influence me in my education or career. Its more a fun fact and application clutter. Many other areas of my application show I work hard, so allowing those to shine through is best. I could argue that it was a major part of my life for years, but at the end of the day, I don't think the adcoms care. Its not related nor unique. I strove for a balance of being concise without being short.

For example, I removed that I was MVP in softball at a regional championship tournament, because while it shows I worked hard at something for years and was rewarded, none of those skills really prepared me or will influence me in my education or career. Its more a fun fact and application clutter. Many other areas of my application show I work hard, so allowing those to shine through is best. I could argue that it was a major part of my life for years, but at the end of the day, I don't think the adcoms care. Its not related nor unique. I strove for a balance of being concise without being short.

First, congrats on your acceptance!!! :)

But, I want to clear this up so future applicants don't think adcoms "don't care" about anything you do that isn't animal/vet related. They do. Part of being a good vet student and a good veterinarian is to have things outside of the field that interest you. Having outside hobbies are noticed and asked about and are important to maintain balance in life. I would definitely add in things on your application about sports you were involved in, hobbies you have, etc. Adcoms are just as much interested in figuring out who you are as a person outside of vet med as they are about your experiences within the field that would make you a good vet. So don't just toss out an experience because it is "not related", the adcoms may still find it interesting.

Note: Not saying to add in the one class of baton twirling or something you took, but if you spent years in a sport and was rewarded for it, definitely add it and be proud of it. It shows the adcoms that you are more than just your vet/animal experience and grades/GRE scores.

Reactions: 4 users
First, congrats on your acceptance!!! :)

But, I want to clear this up so future applicants don't think adcoms "don't care" about anything you do that isn't animal/vet related. They do. Part of being a good vet student and a good veterinarian is to have things outside of the field that interest you. Having outside hobbies are noticed and asked about and are important to maintain balance in life. I would definitely add in things on your application about sports you were involved in, hobbies you have, etc. Adcoms are just as much interested in figuring out who you are as a person outside of vet med as they are about your experiences within the field that would make you a good vet. So don't just toss out an experience because it is "not related", the adcoms may still find it interesting.

Note: Not saying to add in the one class of baton twirling or something you took, but if you spent years in a sport and was rewarded for it, definitely add it and be proud of it. It shows the adcoms that you are more than just your vet/animal experience and grades/GRE scores.

Thanks!

You make a very valid points for people to consider. If it's a big part of a person's identity, it would be crazy to leave it out. For me, it's an example of clutter because as a non traditional, it was 15 years ago and doesn't really feel like a part of what makes me me any more. I'm glad you brought that up to clarify and add valuable insight for future applicants :)

Second time applicant, non-trad.

Applied: UCVM, WCVM
Interviewed: UCVM
Waitlisted: UCVM
Accepted: UCVM
Attending: UCVM

GPA from a certificate program taken in 2006-2007: 3.942
Current degree GPA: 3.533
Prereq GPA: 3.371
I'm not going to worry about hand-calculating the GPA from my older coursework, as UCVM only looks at your last 10 years in most cases. Let's just say it pulled me out of contention at WCVM.

ETA forgot to list my LORs:
My organic chem prof, who has known me for many years and seen me work with dogs and horses.
The professor who supervised my internship (below).
A dear friend who breeds dogs and horses for a living.
(UCVM does not require that one of your LORs be a vet, you must have a prof and a supervisor from an employment situation, and the third is up to you).

~2,000 hours shadowing and assisting an equine vet
~200 hours shadowing and assisting in a small animal clinic

Employed for 2 years on a beef feedlot that conducted veterinary research, including opportunities to attend health seminars and necropsy days led by the vets.
Seasonally employed in a commercial poultry hatchery
Seasonally employed on a thoroughbred racetrack.
Employed in various riding stables.
Paid summer internship studying the genetics of immune function in cattle and swine.
7 years' experience employed in human healthcare at a major hospital.

Have owned dogs, cats, and horses, and shown multiple horses and one of the dogs.

Multiple scholarships.
Executive for my school's chapter of the Golden Key International Honours Society.
President of my school's pre-vet club.
Volunteering with my school's Career Services department for job fairs.
Volunteering for an event that raises money for pediatric cancer research.

Hope this helps someone out there!! If anyone has any questions about dual degree programs, I've been on my share of interviews and would be happy to discuss it with you via private message or email :)

NJ resident, 1st time applicant (took a gap year graduated May 2023)... Rutgers alum!!
F, 22

Applied: Cornell, Davis, Florida, tufts, penn, Ohio, Washington, Vmrc, western, ncsu, Colorado
Rejected: nowhere (yet haha)... Not accepted into dual degree at Davis but potential separate offer with large stipend for grad school there.
Interviewed: UF, Davis(dual degree), tufts, penn(dual degree), western, Colorado(dual degree)
Waitlisted: Davis (vet school)
Accepted: UF, Cornell, tufts, western, Colorado (dual degree)

Still waiting on ncsu and penn (dual degree)

Overall GPA: 4.00/4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
Last 45: 4.00

GRE (Quant,Verbal,Writing):
159,159, 5

Other School Things:
Undergraduate TA in two honors seminars and physiology.
Graduated valedictorian with three majors and two minors.
Worked full time during most of school due to financial and personal reasons.
Very involved in the campus community (honors program, animal science department)
Played the flute and piccolo in community concert band

Animal Experience:
140 sheep/goat routine care and veterinary treatment
120 dairy cattle routine care and veterinary treatment
100 shelter work and various volunteer activities including sitting seeing eye puppies in training.
Started a small animal welfare and outreach group around campus. Fed feral cats, organized community lectures and worked with therapy animals around campus.

Vet Experience:
2500 hours small animal hospitals (combo of private and public/vca chain) practices.
800+ biomedical research hours... 3 years working in here different labs. Including my own independent thesis that i publically defended.

Employment
2500+ small animal... Kennel assistant (learned a lot from treatment techs and doctors and helped in treatment when needed).
Three years part time chemistry tutor (15 hr/week)
Two years part time residence life
90 hours supplemental instructor for upper level biochemistry
90 hours private tutor for student athletes
250 hours as a nanny for two young boys.

After graduating I kept the tutoring position and continued working in the small animal hospital. Also took on a staff position at rutgers teaching in honors seminars for the 2013 to 2014 school year. Recently left the small animal practice and work as an animal care tech at the park system near my house. And now also professionally tutor chemistry to high school students at a test prep center. I love working with people and animals!! :)

LORS:
1 small animal vet
Professor from sheep goat class
My research professor for honors thesis
Animal science department head (also my professor in three classes my advisor and mentored my small animal club)
Director of honors program (worked as his at for two years of undergrad, had five classes with, got to know very well and still work for him post graduation as an instructor).

Personal statement: talked about my developing interests in vet med... Always wanted to be a vet, but shifted more towards research end of profession, as I progressed through college and discovered how it also reflected my passions of science and teaching. Also mentioned my family and financial hardships...and how I worked full time, even though I was committed to doing well in school. Explained how taking a year off made me grow as an applicant and person.

Hi njnealon,

I am new to the forum but I was reading your post mentioning that you have experience with the dual degree programs. I was hoping you may be able to offer me some advice and guidance as I have been looking into some of these programs, but would really benefit from hearing a bit about your experiences. Would you be able to message me privately? Like I mentioned, I'm new to the forum and can't figure out how to privately message you (I tried "starting a conversation but it didn't work), so I was hoping you could message me. Anyway, I would really appreciate your advice.

Thought I would fill this out to help anyone with questions out :)

First time applicant

Applied: Ohio, Missouri, Minnesota, and Iowa
Interviewed: Ohio, Missouri, Minnesota, and Iowa
Waitlisted: Ohio State
Accepted: Missouri, Minnesota
Rejected: Iowa
Attending: Ohio State!!!

Overall GPA: ~3.6
Science GPA: ~3.2

Graduated Magna Cum Laude and was pretty involved with the Biology club (chair person and vice president). Did a few other clubs, but not really active in them as much as the biology club.

Animal Experience: Can't remember what i estimated, but I have owned horses and shown them for about 13 years so i averaged 10 hours a week roughly for taking care of them, shows, etc... Also participated in 4-H and showed dairy cattle, hogs, and horses for about 10 years.

Vet Experience: ~2500 hrs. Equally split among large and small animal. I think this factor along with animal experience helped make up for my lower science GPA.

Also took a year of graduate work in education and received a 4.0 for the year, which I think looked good even though it was an unrelated field.

GRE: Took it 4 times!!! Last scored I received was around the mid/low 150s...can't remember exactly.

I also received scholarships for my undergraduate years so I listed those as well. Also had various awards through horse showing and 4-H. I tried to highlight my animal and vet experience so account for my weaker points.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

Thought I would fill this out to help anyone with questions out :)

First time applicant

Applied: Ohio, Missouri, Minnesota, and Iowa
Interviewed: Ohio, Missouri, Minnesota, and Iowa
Waitlisted: Ohio State
Accepted: Missouri, Minnesota
Rejected: Iowa
Attending: Ohio State!!!

Overall GPA: ~3.6
Science GPA: ~3.2

Graduated Magna Cum Laude and was pretty involved with the Biology club (chair person and vice president). Did a few other clubs, but not really active in them as much as the biology club.

Animal Experience: Can't remember what i estimated, but I have owned horses and shown them for about 13 years so i averaged 10 hours a week roughly for taking care of them, shows, etc... Also participated in 4-H and showed dairy cattle, hogs, and horses for about 10 years.

Vet Experience: ~2500 hrs. Equally split among large and small animal. I think this factor along with animal experience helped make up for my lower science GPA.

Also took a year of graduate work in education and received a 4.0 for the year, which I think looked good even though it was an unrelated field.

GRE: Took it 4 times!!! Last scored I received was around the mid/low 150s...can't remember exactly.

I also received scholarships for my undergraduate years so I listed those as well. Also had various awards through horse showing and 4-H. I tried to highlight my animal and vet experience so account for my weaker points.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!
What was your last 45 GPA?

So this was my 2nd time truly applying. I applied at the end of my first BS, but I had no idea what I was doing and it was a waste of my time and money (just trust me on that). I am hoping that I can add to the encouragement of those that don't have the best academics. I think my experience is what really helped me out.

-------

NC Resident, 2nd time applicant, 30yr old, female
B.S. Animal Science (2005) & Microbiology (2008)
Master's in Microbial Biotechnology (2014)

1st Cycle (2011-2012):
Applied:
Colorado State, Michigan State, NC State, Purdue
Interviewed: Purdue
Waitlisted: Purdue
Denied: CSU, MSU, NCSU

cGPA: 3.16
sGPA: 3.2
Last 45: 3.4
GRE (old):
V: 560
Q: 570
A: 4.0

2nd Cycle (2013-2014):
Applied:
Missouri, Michigan State, UPenn, Iowa State, Purdue, NCSU
Interviewed: Iowa State, Purdue
Waitlisted: Iowa State
Denied: Michigane State, Missouri, UPenn, Purdue
Accepted: NC State

cGPA: 3.24
sGPA: 3.2
Last 45: 3.6
GRE (new):
V: 157
Q: 154
A: 3.5

I completely bombed the GRE. I don't know what happened...

Vet Experience: Depending on who you talk to it some of it is either Vet or Animal...
~2500hrs at small animal vet - worked part time in school and then full time as the lead surgery tech.
~600hrs Lab Animal Husbandry in a barrier facility (mice and rats)
~1500hrs - Public Health Lab doing Rabies testing for sample submitted from all over the state

Animal Experience:
~500hrs of pet sitting for friends (required house sitting and Rx administration for some special needs pets)

Research Experience:
~2000hrs - Worked at CRO that did small scale pre-clinical studies with rodents. Included husbandry, administration of test compounds (PO, SQ, IM), organ harvesting
~100hrs - On Campus summer job doing study on plant extracts and the immune system

Other Jobs:
Sales associate at Finish Line
Intern at a Biotech Company doing inventory control and sample management

Volunteer (non-Vet):
Volunteer at Light the Night (3 years)
Volunteer at Special Olympics - just did this last year and going to continue as years go on :D
Summer Camp Counselor and Coordinator for incoming Freshman at NCSU (3 years)

Honors:
Dean's List 2 semesters for my Micro degree

LOR's:
1st Round:
- Vet/Owner from the SA practice I worked for
- 2nd Vet at the same practice
- Boss/Owner from my CRO

2nd Round:
- Vet/Owner of the SA practice
- Boss/Owner form CRO
- Grad School Advisor

Personal Statement:
Talked about what personal traits I gained from each of my experiences and why my resume looked so jumpy (school->work-> school->work). Touched on a relationship that I formed with one of clients at the SA vet I worked at and how much my opinion meant to them. I was in the room for their very first appointment when they found out their pet had lymphoma, they requested me as tech for each appointment, and asked me how they would know when it is "time." Also included the skills I gained with working with research animals in a highly regulated environment and my experience with the general public when I did rabies testing. Finally I explained my Master's degree choice, which has pushed me out of my comfort zone as far as public speaking.

I revamped my personal statement after I sent it to my friend. She was an english minor and she started off with me in undergrad as a Vet School hopeful. We knew each other well enough to where she knew my background and ultimate goals and not be afraid to rip the PS apart. She was also able to give me more credit than I thought I needed or deserved in some areas.
I will be applying to NCSU next application cycle. Was curious to know what your required course gpa for NCSU ended up being when you applied, if you don't mind me asking.

Don't give up hope. 51 years old with a 2.5 GPA for my BS. It can be done. I was sure my undergrad GPA was a deal breaker, but I was wrong. I'm glad I finally tried. Better late than never!

Lifetime Tennessee Resident
Male, 51 years old
First time applicant

Applied: Tennessee
Interviewed: Tennessee
Accepted: Tennessee
Attending: Tennessee

Cum GPA 3.0
Undergrad Science GPA 2.7
Last 45 Undergrad GPA 3.0
Undergrad GPA 2.5 (BS), 2.6 All Undergrad hours
Graduate GPA 3.8
4.0 GPA in 17 hours post baccalaureate vet school prerequisites. Genetics, advanced cellular biology, organic chem I and II, and biochemistry.

GRE: V:168 (98%) Q:168 (96%) AW:5.0 (93%)

Degrees:
BS: Biomedical Engineering GPA 2.5
MS: Solid/Biomechanics GPA 3.64
PhD: Radiation Protection/Medical Imaging GPA 3.74
MBA: GPA 3.77
MA Philosophy (Medical and Animal Ethics, Epistemology, Phil of Sci) GPA 3.87

Veterinary Experience: 522 total hours. Mostly shelter medicine and small animal. 24 hours oncology. 8 hours radiation oncology. Roughly 10 hours each in equine and exotics.
Animal Experience: Pet Ownership. MANY thousands of hours.
Research: Many thousands of hours. Over 70 peer reviewed scientific publications (Papers and/or abstracts, mostly in medical physics)
LORs: 5 total, all PhD or DVM.
Work: 20+ years experience. Oak Ridge National Lab, ORAU, Founded a medical physics consulting company, reviewer for the FDA, clinical site cancer therapy certification grantor for glaxosmithkline. Former Captain, US Army Reserve, Nuclear medical science officer.
Other Professional: Many time invited speaker, moderator, and educator at national scientific meetings (Society of Nuclear Medicine). Journal reviewer, lecturer, board of directors member in several corporations, etc.

So awesome! If you don't mind me asking--where were your Masters and PhD degrees from? I had really low undergrad GPA as well and am hoping to significantly bring that up with my postbac

So awesome! If you don't mind me asking--where were your Masters and PhD degrees from? I had really low undergrad GPA as well and am hoping to significantly bring that up with my postbac

University of Tennessee MS, MA, PhD. Colorado State MBA

1st off CONGRATSSSSS =) such an amazing accomplishment!!

Hello, I just read your posting about vet school (acceptances etc with low GRE scores). I have a similar gap as you ~3.2 and I scored very close to your scores today in fact (A145/Q142). i felt TOTALLYYY HOPELESS walking out of that testing center. I am about to graduate with a BA in vet nursing and I have taken upper level sic/bio courses. I have over 8 yrs of various related vet/animal experience. I have done externships as well as internships. I have a wildlife rehabilators license. Im 26yro and currently work in the best vet hops in NYC --city with fantastic LORs but I am terrified based on this GRE - it crushed me!!! ....until I read your post. I would rather not wait until next year (and apply & retake GRE etc). Any & all advice is desired and most appreciated to help restore my dream.
(i planned on applying to purdue, auburn, ohio and tufts like yourself + a few other schools). Any further tips/advice regarding auburn & purdue since you were accepted there as well =D ?

I am so excited that I get to post here! I can not hardly believe that I am going to be able to do what I LOVE and what I am extremely passionate about. Please ignore my GRE scores, I thought they were really going to hold me back but I am glad they didn't!

22, Female, Virginia resident
Second-time applicant
B.S. in Animal and Veterinary Sciences
Graduated Spring 2013 from Clemson University - GO TIGERS! haha

Applied: Tennessee, Missouri, Purdue, Western, Auburn, Illinois, UGA, Mississippi State, Ohio State, Florida, Minnesota, Midwestern, Upenn, Tufts, UPEI, Oregon State, Colorado State, VMRCVM, and LSU
Interview Offers: Tennessee, Missouri, Purdue, Western, Auburn, Mississippi State, Midwestern, UPEI, and VMRCVM
Declined Interviews: UPEI and Auburn
Wait-Listed: VMRCVM, Colorado State, Oregon State and Mississippi State and UGA
Rejected: Illinois, Ohio State, Florida, Minnesota, Tufts, LSU, and Upenn
Accepted: Tennessee, Purdue, Missouri, Auburn (I did not interview, but was just offered admission based on application), Midwestern and Western.
Attending:MIZZOU!!! :love: :soexcited:

Cumulative GPA: 3.45
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3 – 3.35 (depending on the school)
Last 45 GPA: 3.68

GRE: 143 V 145 Q 4 AW (EPIC FAIL in all categories!)

Veterinary Experience: 2000 hours
· National Institutes of Health (NHLBI): I worked there full time for 3 months. I gained experience handling laboratory animals and doing
research with laboratory animals that included Baboons, mice and swine.
· Cloverleaf Animal Hospital: 1.5 years working in a small animal clinic learning how to administer vaccinations, administering treatments,
drawing blood etc.
· Equine Veterinary Associates: 10 days volunteering at a Large Animal Hospital working primarily with horses and learning about their overall
anatomy.
· University of Tennessee CVM /Collierville Pet Hospital: 8 week program that was my first experience in a clinic where I really learned how to
work with small animals and the every day life of a small animal veterinarian was like. Then I went to UTCVM for 1 week and saw different
cases and presented a project of my own on a case in the clinic I had worked at.

Animal Experience: 1000+ hours
· Pet ownership: I had my Boston terrier for 14 years.
· Poultry Science Club: our club raised turkeys for thanksgiving and sold them to raise money, so as club members we had to feed them and give them water every day.
· Swine Techniques Class: we learned how to process piglets and maintain a swine a far.
· Horse Care Techniques Class: I ride horses, and in the class we learned how to collect semen from a stallion, and learn how to inject
vaccinations and deworm
· Germantown Animal Shelter Volunteer
· Paws and Relax: a pet sitting job I had in high school
· LNA: I halter broke and learned how to show a 2000 lb. beef heifer

Research Experience: 500+ hours
· Clemson University: 5 months working in a lab with rodents learning how to handle them, preform necropsies, and bioassays all while
examining FSH and LH levels in mice.
· Clemson University: 9 months working in the biochemistry lab working on isolating anti cancer peptides from sharks, skates and rays to
contribute to the cure breast cancer.
· National Institutes of Health: 3 months no original research just spent the summer participating in a TON of surgeries and learning how to
intubate animals and monitor vitals during the surgical procedure.

Employment: 300 hours

· The Junior League of Memphis: Worked there for 2 years helping out with filing, writing checks, organizing meetings for members and more.
· NMI Property Management: 6 months, organizing bank records, depositing checks, and managing office space.

Extracurriculars:
· Little North American Exhibition Executive Committee
· Animal and Veterinary Science Ambassador
· Clemson University Dairy Science Club
· Clemson University Poultry Science Club
· Treasurer of Clemson Animal welfare society
· Introduction to Animal Science Teaching Assistant
· Animal Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant
· WAVS Lifeguard: Women in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, I was a mentor to new students.
· Guatemala Mission Trips
· Clemson Pre – Vet Club
· South Africa Study Abroad: Studied the ecology of the land and got to be in the presence of lions, cheetah and meerkats and more.

Honors and Awards:
· NIHLBI Award for completing my internship at the Institute 2013
· Deans List 2012-2013
· Graduated cum laude 2013
· Dairy Science Exhibition Award 2011
· Poultry Science Exhibition Award 2012 – 2013
· Intercultural Collegiate Award 2013
· National Honors Society (High school)
· National Spanish Honors Society (High school)
· Graduated magnum cum laude (High school)

eLORS:
· Three professors: One in biochemistry and the others in our Animal Science Department.
· Two veterinarians: one from NIH and one from a clinic I worked at.

Personal Statement / Uniqueness Essays:
· I started my personal statement with a quote that meant so much to me in a book that I had read freshman year of college called the Souls of
Animals. After that I just basically described how my background and my experiences all have contributed to me being at this point in my life. I
also stated how becoming a veterinarian would help me contribute to humans as well as animals in public health and research.

wow your very inspiring - I just took the gre today and cried Q142 A145
(my practice test scores were 158 each so i was hopeful and sadly crushed!!!)
26 yro female NYS
gpa ~3.2 BA vet nursing as of may 2016 (soon)
8 yrs (20,000 hrs plus) of vet experience - a combo of surgical assistant, exotics, farm, equine, zoo
~300 hrs research experience + research animal course/lab
some upper level sci/bio courses (grades range from A to B-)

DO you think I have a chance?

(in terms of the schools I planned to apply to that coincide with yours: ohio, purdue) + others & Ross

THANK YOU! for the hope you granted me on this horrible day

Soo.. my grades/GRE are kind of embarrassing but I hope it helps someone who is feeling a little discouraged about their grades

21 Year old female, PA resident
Animal & Poultry Science Major

Applied: Upenn, VMRCVM, Kansas, Iowa, Mississippi, Missouri, Purdue, Ohio State, Edinburgh, Glasgow, SGU
Rejected: Kansas, Iowa, Ohio
Declined Interview offer: Upenn, Mississippi, Glasgow
Interviewed: VMRCVM, Missouri, Purdue
Withdrawing App: SGU
Accepted: VMRCVM, Missouri, Purdue, Edinburgh
Attending: Probably MIZZOU!! (not 100% sure yet though)

Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.21
Last 45: ~3.75 ish

GRE: (Q/V/W): 149 (37%)/ 147 (32%)/ 3 (I know these scores are absolutely atrocious. I just..I have no words for them. they just suck) :oops:

Experience:
Veterinary:
Shadowing 2 Food Animal vets: 200 hrs
Vet assistant at Small Animal clinic: 250 hrs
Shadowing in VMRCVM teaching hospital: 40 hrs

Animal:
Livestock shows/ FFA: 2,055 hrs
Agricultural High School classes: ~1000 hrs
Large Animal Husbandry Tech: 200 hrs
College Animal Sci classes: 150 hrs
Summer class on handling raptors: 75 hrs

Research:
Cattle Dewormer Research: 200 hrs
Crops Research: 250 hrs

Employment:
Lab assistant: 90 hrs
Student farmer: 250 hrs

Extracurriculars:
Intro Animal Science lab TA
Heifer International ASB
President of Animal Sci Ambassadors
Animal Anat & Phys TA
Poultry Lab volunteer
Pre-vet club
...a bunch of other random high school stuff

Honors/ Awards:
Deans List and couple of scholarships

LOR's:
-Two food animal vets I worked with
-Academic advisor
-Animal Science Professor

Personal Statement:
Discussed how I became so interested in livestock and how that turned into an interest in vet med. Talked about how I want to use my DVM degree as a platform to promote diversity and agricultural interest/education, and explained how/why a DVM degree will help me achieve this. Spent a couple months working really hard on my personal statement. I think it helped my application A TON.

Other:
You DO NOT need a 4.0 to get into vet school! And apparently you also DO NOT need perfect GRE scores. You need to know what your passionate about and how you can become more involved in whatever that is. Then, you need to network!!!!! If you go to a school with a teaching hospital, take advantage of it !!!!!!! And if your grades are not super competitive, cast a wide net and apply to more places. I was strongly convinced I would have to re-apply next year, but I can now say I'M GONNA BE A DOCTOR! :soexcited:

I second the above poster!!!

29 year old female, IL resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Ohio, Missouri, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Illinois
Rejected: Ohio, Missouri, Wisconsin, Oklahoma
Interviewed: Illinois
Waitlisted: None
Accepted: Illinois:woot:
Attending: Illinois!!!!!!! :love::love::love:

Academics:

A.A. in General Studies
B.S. Environmental Biology – May 2014
Cum GPA: 2.81 - this is not a typo lol! (It went to 2.9 after the fall semester)
Science GPA: 3.38
Last 45: ~3.7

GRE (Q/V/W): 156(70%)/152(49%)/4(54%) – Took it three times and got the same score ALL THREE TIMES!

Vet Experience:

~10,000hrs – Vet assistant/Office manager at mixed (SA, LA, Food) practice for 7 years. Vet assistants at this clinic did reception, tech, and kennel work.

~4hrs – St. Louis Zoo, observing amphibian surgery.

Animal Experience:

~1750hrs – On personal farm with cattle, sheep, pigs.
~3500hrs – Breeding, showing, selling poultry.
~2600hrs – Siamese cat breeding, fostering strays in personal cattery, raising orphaned kittens.
~1380hrs – Taking care of animals & aquaria at undergrad college.
~12hrs – Monitoring bluebird nesting sites for the National Bluebird Society.
~500hrs – cornsnake breeding & personal collection care.

Research:

Researched spider behavior over two summers – currently under review for publication with myself as 1st author.

Research intern at the St. Louis Zoo – collected social data on Grevy’s Zebra and Somali Wild Ass. Worked with zookeepers on a biological way to control the amphibian chytrid fungus in captivity.

Employment – not animal related:

TA for Biology, Environmental, & Microbiology classes.
USPS Rural relief carrier
I had a bunch of other menial jobs up to when I was employed at the vet clinic mentioned above – most were fast food or secretarial ( 2000-2006).

Honors/Awards:

4-H (1995-2002)-showing poultry, cats, and fine arts – too many to count, but I listed every trophy on my application.
Presidents list & Deans list
Outstanding Music Award in HS
Outstanding Environmental Biologist – at undergrad

Community Experiences:

Volunteer at CEFS Head Start – I mainly do odd jobs like planting flowers, putting together classroom exercises, face painting/balloon animals at the little “fairs” they have.

Secretary in undergrad’s Tri-Beta Biological Honor Soc.

ELORS:
DVM/owner of mixed animal vet clinic I worked at for 7yrs
PhD- Head of Biology Dept
PhD- Botany Prof (advisor)
PhD - Anatomy/Ecology Prof (I did research with him)
Assistant Prof - Environmental/Developmental Biology

Personal Statement:

I told a story about how I was working at the vet clinic one day and a cat came in with his family. He was very sick and eventually had to be euthanized after months of treatment. The fact that I was able to be there with him and his family when he passed meant so much to me. That was the day that I knew that I wanted to be a veterinarian. Of course I want to help animals, but I also want to be there for both the pet and their family when there is nothing else that can be done. I feel that the relationship between a veterinarian and the client is just as important as the relationship with the pet. This experience drove me to go back to school to obtain my bachelors and apply to vet school.

Explanation Statement:

I took complete responsibility for my horrible grades when I was at CC right after high school. I then explained what I had done to change my circumstances and prevent it from ever happening again. I made no excuses.

I remember last year about this time I was crying as I was reading the successful applicant threads because I knew my cumGPA was so far below the competitive level. I can’t believe I am posting on here today! I was prepared to apply multiple times and maybe do a masters. I never thought I would get into my top choice!!!!!!! I just wanted to post on here to give support to non-traditionals that have really bad cum GPAs. I did not do any grade forgiveness. All of my bad grades were from the CC where I graduated with an AA and a cumGPA of 2.45. At my current school I have a GPA of 3.7, but the past brings that down a lot.

If anyone in a similar situation has any questions let me know!

*edit* I forgot my ELORS! I know that these made a big difference. They all knew me really well and wrote great letters.