Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if I come across as a jerk, but I read the first few words of your message and the whole "send me your PS" caught my eye. I think you are more than capable of googling veterinary PS examples from Illinois, and Michigan which come up as the first results when you google. Second, the PS isn't meant to be THAT difficult- I'll admit, I found it daunting. I drafted several times a few that were very "me me me me me me" and "oh you should take me because I grew up with so much adversity :(((" when really, the best PS is just a story you about yourself that is veterinary related. It took me up until the VMCAS deadline to find a story I wanted to tell my audience and I'm so glad I waited because the story I told happened only days-weeks before the app was due. I shared my PS with the veterinarian I wrote it about- who is also a great friend of mine now, and a few other friends of mine. I can offer you the advice above, but I wouldn't want anyone modeling their PS after mine. It has to be your own or else the committees will see you as transparent and unoriginal and probably toss it. Again, just my opinion and advice.

Please get off your high horse. There's absolutely nothing wrong with people looking at other PS's to get ideas. As for the rest of your comment, just because you felt like your PS had to be a story does not mean that it's the best PS style. I've read many "me me me" PS's that were very well written and highlighted the applicant's accomplishments and strengths, which is one of many appropriate methods of selling yourself to the admissions board (because that's basically what you're doing). I've also read many PS's that talked about the applicants' adversities and how they have made them stronger. Just because you either didn't have adversities growing up or chose not to talk about them does not mean that's not a valid way to communicate your strengths to the admissions board. What makes those types of essays hard to read is when the applicant isn't a good writer and sounds whiny or conceited (kinda like your post).

Members don't see this ad.

Please get off your high horse. There's absolutely nothing wrong with people looking at other PS's to get ideas. As for the rest of your comment, just because you felt like your PS had to be a story does not mean that it's the best PS style. I've read many "me me me" PS's that were very well written and highlighted the applicant's accomplishments and strengths, which is one of many appropriate methods of selling yourself to the admissions board (because that's basically what you're doing). I've also read many PS's that talked about the applicants' adversities and how they have made them stronger. Just because you either didn't have adversities growing up or chose not to talk about them does not mean that's not a valid way to communicate your strengths to the admissions board. What makes those types of essays hard to read is when the applicant isn't a good writer and sounds whiny or conceited (kinda like your post).

I'm sorry, but a personal statement is just that, personal. Someone posting on SDN only looking to read personal statements of others just seems inappropriate to me. Especially when we have the personal statement readers thread. Despite what you or I would do, people do copy others essays all the time. And it is possible for a random stranger on the internet to do just that. Recommending that someone google vet school personal statements, is not a bad idea. Recommending that they instead draft their own and then use the personal statement reader thread is a better idea.

As for how the personal statement is written, that is well, personal. What might work for one, may not work for another. There is a fine line between "selling yourself" in a personal statement and sounding like an egotisitcal jerk. I did not find PittPreVet's post to be whiny or conceited at all. She (or he) may not have stated their thoughts well, but it did not come across as being conceited or whiny in the slightest.

Your post, however, was quite rude.

Reactions: 1 users
I find it funny that you don't see the arrogance in this person saying that his/her way of writing a PS is superior to others. Not to mention the way they talked about people with PS that include adversities. Also, I've seen people ask to read successful applicant PS's ever since joining this site and nobody has said anything up until now.

You keep pointing this out every time I make a post you don't agree with. It's not really necessary, ya know - I usually know when I'm bringing out the sass. I'm a self-aware a**hole. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it funny that you don't see the arrogance in this person saying that his/her way of writing a PS is superior to others. Not to mention the way they talked about people with PS that include adversities. Also, I've seen people ask to read successful applicant PS's ever since joining this site and nobody has said anything up until now.

I've definitely said things before. Now I just shake my head and think, "if someone wants to risk sending their PS to a complete stranger on the internet, that's their problem." I also don't see where she claimed her way was superior to others. I see where she stated "that is my opinion" but that doesn't equal my way is better. :shrug:

You keep pointing this out every time I make a post you don't agree with. It's not really necessary, ya know - I usually know when I'm bringing out the sass. I'm a self-aware a**hole. ;)

I do? I'm rather certain I don't say this to you every time. I mean, there are general posts you make that I may not agree with and say nothing, or that have nothing to do with anyone being rude and it becomes more a discussion with lots of people. Clearly doesn't happen every time. :p

And your self-aware dingus meter is a little broken tonight. ;)

I'm sorry, but a personal statement is just that, personal. Someone posting on SDN only looking to read personal statements of others just seems inappropriate to me. Especially when we have the personal statement readers thread. Despite what you or I would do, people do copy others essays all the time. And it is possible for a random stranger on the internet to do just that. Recommending that someone google vet school personal statements, is not a bad idea. Recommending that they instead draft their own and then use the personal statement reader thread is a better idea.

As for how the personal statement is written, that is well, personal. What might work for one, may not work for another. There is a fine line between "selling yourself" in a personal statement and sounding like an egotisitcal jerk. I did not find PittPreVet's post to be whiny or conceited at all. She (or he) may not have stated their thoughts well, but it did not come across as being conceited or whiny in the slightest.

Yeah I feel the same way...especially when the poster in question spammed a few other threads asking for personal statements. It doesn't automatically mean she's trying to steal from anyone, but it's always a suspicion of mine. I won't even let other people look at homework of mine or anything like that. If the person does steal your stuff and gets caught, you could easily be brought down too, even if you were trying to help by giving them an example (homework or PS's).

It could have been a scare tactic, but I've heard professors say that most universities keep electronic copies of essays and whatever on file. That's how they figure out who's buying their homework or copying it. I don't see why it couldn't go for PS's too.

I didn't think they were making a generalization about people who write about adversity - I thought it was quite clear that they were offering suggestions based on their own experience, and that a version of their PS based on adversity didn't ring true because it sounded too self-pitying, which is certainly something to avoid. It's true that most traditional vet school applicants won't have faced the kind of adversity that works well for a PS and makes them stand out, and even fewer would write about it well enough to give it a positive spin.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for everyone who stood up with me. I am a male, just for future clarification xD.
Dvmdream and pinkpuppy9 saw where I was coming from- I wouldn't let someone copy my homework either.. why my PS? And I didn't say my way was better or superior. I've faced MUCH adversity, but I'm also not going to tell you all of my secrets here on SDN. Nor are they the experiences that will make me the best doctor. You seem cantankerous and very fight or flight response driven, and I really hope you cool it down a bit because the veterinary world isn't large and I don't want to make enemies with someone I might have to work with in the same hospital some day. Not only did you attack me for an honest opinion meant to help a fellow preveterinary student but you attacked Dvmdream as soon as they came to my defense. Again, you need to cool it. I wish you luck in your studies and a long and happy life bud.

Just for the record, I would highly suggest NOT reading someone else's PS. There is just too much that goes into it which is why it is part of the qualitative portion of the application. Their story should not impact yours. No personal statement can truly be "better" than another. You know yourself better than anyone else, you know why you want to go into vet med. Write from the heart.

And honestly, if you can't seem to think of anything satisfying to write, you should maybe reconsider applying. I found writing my PS to be far from daunting- articulating my goals and passions was a joy and privelage.

Just for the record, I would highly suggest NOT reading someone else's PS. There is just too much that goes into it which is why it is part of the qualitative portion of the application. Their story should not impact yours. No personal statement can truly be "better" than another. You know yourself better than anyone else, you know why you want to go into vet med. Write from the heart.

And honestly, if you can't seem to think of anything satisfying to write, you should maybe reconsider applying. I found writing my PS to be far from daunting- articulating my goals and passions was a joy and privelage.

I don't quite agree with this. Two good friends of mine who are now vet students sent me their personal statements, and it was actually very valuable for me-- they were both quite different, and it really helped me get a feel for how I did and did not want to go about writing mine. I also appreciated seeing how they went about articulating their strengths, their experiences, what they had learned about the profession, etc. I definitely did not directly imitate them by any means-- my personal statement is actually quite different than both of them-- but it was a helpful starting point for me, and I think it can be a great starting point for others, too.

I would also note that while I am very passionate about the veterinary field and have strong, concrete reasons for pursuing it, writing my personal statement was actually a very stressful experience for me. I was pleased with the end result, but it definitely was not all sunshine and rainbows getting to that point. I think this was largely because the profession does mean a lot me, and I wanted very much to articulate that to the absolute best of my ability. I put a lot of pressure on myself to do so.

I do understand the points that you are getting at, and I definitely agree that making sure your personal statement is your own and having a good, specific idea of why you want to pursue veterinary medicine are both very important. I think it is possible to look at the personal statements of others and still accomplish both of those things, though. :)

I found writing my PS to be far from daunting- articulating my goals and passions was a joy and privelage.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Last edited:
No personal statement can truly be "better" than another.

Nonsense. I've read a number of them in previous years when I was willing to help people edit them, and some are most definitely better than others. I'm baffled by why you would think all personal statements are equal. They aren't.

That's a cruel, insensitive, and stupid thing to say. For some people it is very difficult to write something like a personal statement. I think it's great that you found it a "joy and privilege," but that is not everyone else's experience, and does not mean they should reconsider applying.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I'd go that far.
Lol I hated writing my PS. And I hated my PS itself. I hated reading it and I haven't opened it since applying. I got compliments on it from the schools, but it still makes me cringe. Some people just aren't comfortable with laying their lives out on the table like that. I don't even like people to look me in the eyes lol.

Just make sure you don't blink back, or else the person will think you love them.

mbir.jpg

Have fun in a profession requiring utmost people skills then! Veterinarian client relationship is about as important as book smarts in my opinion.

Have fun in a profession requiring utmost people skills then! Veterinarian client relationship is about as important as book smarts in my opinion.
True, but what does that have to do with being able to articulate a good Personal Statement? (Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying?) I can have all the people skills in the world but still stink at putting everything down on paper...

I personally LOATHED writing my PS, because I have a difficult time condensing all of my experiences down into an interesting and readable piece. Does that mean I should reconsider my career then? If that's the case I guess I'd better stop taking out all these loans then :p

:laugh:

A personal statement for vet school does not equal veterinary-client relationship interaction. You should be able to recognize the massive difference between the two.

I'm not ashamed to say my PS was not very good. My people handling skills are much better. As in I would get asked to handle the difficult clients for the area's corporate vet practice.

You might want to take those words to heart, bam15. So far you've done nothing but demonstrate an utter lack of people skills. Because you're right - people skills matter in this profession.

I hated writing my PS. I don't struggle to deal with clients any more than any other veterinarian.

Re: people skills. One of my classmates recently said "my clients will be paying me to be a good doctor, not to be nice to them." Yeah, good luck with that! Likely your clients will leave you and go to a good doctor who also has good people/communication skills.

You might want to take those words to heart, bam15. So far you've done nothing but demonstrate an utter lack of people skills. Because you're right - people skills matter in this profession.

I hated writing my PS. I don't struggle to deal with clients any more than any other veterinarian.

Lack of people skills? I'm just being honest.

I'll admit that I had a hard time with my PS and I have a hard time with clients.

However, that doesn't mean I actually am bad with clients, treat them poorly, and so on. I just get very frustrated when dealing with them, and it's something that stays in my head. Like I said, I hated my PS and writing it, but I'm actually asked specifically to handle patients with more difficult owners. Mostly because I can have someone scream at me and maintain my normal monotone voice lol

Lack of people skills? I'm just being honest.

OK, fair enough. In that case your advice is well-intentioned, but just plain wrong. I can't think of a single reason that someone who didn't enjoy writing the personal statement would inherently be a poor communicator with clients.

I hate writing about myself and having to "sell" myself. My personal statement wasn't that good. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the vet schools thought it was horrible.

I am good at communicating with clients and why we want to do certain things, or at least this is what the clinicians tell me...

Writing a personal statement does not equal and is not anywhere near comparable to communicating with clients. At all. No comparison.

OK, fair enough. In that case your advice is well-intentioned, but just plain wrong. I can't think of a single reason that someone who didn't enjoy writing the personal statement would inherently be a poor communicator with clients.

That's not what I said. My "good luck" was to those saying they weren't looking forward to the client communication component of this profession.

And to those of you who found writing about your utmost passion so difficult, know that we will be expected to communicate with our clients in various ways. You will be selling yourself daily as part of a business and as part of a profession. Have some confidence- you've obviously been doing something right to get this far! Talking about yourself and what you love should come naturally. You should wear vet med on your sleeve. Not just with a white coat and an acronym on your name, but in how you sell yourself in EVERY aspect of your life.

People are going to know you as a veterinarian, for better or for worse. All your friends will call you their veterinarian friend, your spouse will be married to a vet, your mom will boast that she raised a vet. Your kids will brag that you save dogs and cats. Your PS should be easy, as should your veterinary elevator speech, because you ARE this profession or WILL BE this profession.

(Assuming you chose the right path. This is why I stand by my original statement- if you can't think of why you love this stuff, that should be a "am I really ready to apply to vet school" moment)

You know, I'm that person too. That one who is "just being honest". But since I know I'm like that, I know when to open my mouth and when to not. That's a skill you seem to lack. If you're going to be that person, it's good for your communication skills to know when and where your perception of honesty is appropriate. It isn't always going to be appropriate, like here in this post.

And to those of you who found writing about your utmost passion so difficult, know that we will be expected to communicate with our clients in various ways. You will be selling yourself daily as part of a business and as part of a profession. Have some confidence- you've obviously been doing something right to get this far! Talking about yourself and what you love should come naturally. You should wear vet med on your sleeve. Not just with a white coat and an acronym on your name, but in how you sell yourself in EVERY aspect of your life.
I don't find talking about my passion difficult. I found writing a personal statement difficult. Very different things. BTW, I'm already a vet and many clients like my style and how I communicate (as @LetItSnow and @DVMDream can probably attest to - they've seen me work and seen my clients).

Reactions: 2 users
That's not what I said. My "good luck" was to those saying they weren't looking forward to the client communication component of this profession.

People are going to know you as a veterinarian, for better or for worse. All your friends will call you their veterinarian friend, your spouse will be married to a vet, your mom will boast that she raised a vet. Your kids will brag that you save dogs and cats. Your PS should be easy, as should your veterinary elevator speech, because you ARE this profession or WILL BE this profession.

(Assuming you chose the right path. This is why I stand by my original statement- if you can't think of why you love this stuff, that should be a "am I really ready to apply to vet school" moment)

As someone who spent 7 years as a vet tech and is now in my final year of vet school..... this post made me laugh hysterically.

I don't find talking about my passion difficult. I found writing a personal statement difficult. Very different things. BTW, I'm already a vet and many clients like my style and how I communicate (as @LetItSnow and @DVMDream can probably attest to - they've seen me work and seen my clients).

How are they different? Genuinely curious?

My point is- if you are at the point where you are writing your PS, you should know, with confidence, why you want to be a veterinarian. You should have a foundation of expereicnes that led you to that point. You should have a vision of your place in veterinary medicine. And if I recall, that's what the PS prompt is.

And I don't think that vision, those experiences, and that "why" should be influenced by someone else's PS when you are writing.

How are they different? Genuinely curious?

My point is- if you are at the point where you are writing your PS, you should know, with confidence, why you want to be a veterinarian. You should have a foundation of expereicnes that led you to that point. You should have a vision of your place in veterinary medicine. And if I recall, that's what the PS prompt is.

And I don't think that vision, those experiences, and that "why" should be influenced by someone else's PS when you are writing.

Huh?

You related PS writing to veterinary client interactions..

Not to other peoples' personal statements...

Do you even know what you are trying to say?

My point is- if you are at the point where you are writing your PS, you should know, with confidence, why you want to be a veterinarian.
so? what if you're really crappy about expressing that in a written form? Or you have a lot to say about why but are trying to follow the prompt and limits?

Also, being passionate about something doesn't mean you can automatically tell someone why.

Talking about yourself and what you love should come naturally. You should wear vet med on your sleeve. Not just with a white coat and an acronym on your name, but in how you sell yourself in EVERY aspect of your life.

There's a great thread in a forum for vets right now about how one after another of us answer with something to shut people down when they ask what we do. The answers have ranged from trash collector, to IRS auditor, to stripper. You think alllllllll of us are poor vets or poor fits for the job? If so - take a hike. That whole "wear it on your sleeve" thing? Yeah. That works for some people and not for others. It doesn't make the people for whom it doesn't work bad vets, or a poorer fit for the field, or anything.

I've seen some super enthusiastic rah-rah wear-it-on-your-sleeve vets burn out. I've seen some quieter vets burn out. You need to learn that people express themselves differently and that's ok. Just because they don't express themselves like you do doesn't make them inherently a poor fit for this job. And just because they don't live vet med 10000% of the time also doesn't make them a poor fit. And just because some people struggle to write about themselves ALSO doesn't inherently make them a poor fit.

DVMDream- I never compared PS writing to client communication. Maybe you should reread a few posts!

Dyachei- again, reading other personal statements isn't going to change that. It'll only hinder you by setting an expectation of sorts about what is right and what is wrong in your personal statement when there is no wrong. Which I've said from the beginning!

DVMDream- I never compared PS writing to client communication. Maybe you should reread a few posts!

Dyachei- again, reading other personal statements isn't going to change that. It'll only hinder you by setting an expectation of sorts about what is right and what is wrong in your personal statement when there is no wrong. Which I've said from the beginning!
That's not what the issues with your statements are.

Considering after the multiple posts about writing personal statements you post this....

Yes, you were. And others responded to you in like manner as me.... Here is just one post also referring to your comment on PS and vet client interaction...

So, if your intent was to not compare the two... you failed.

I wish you would have posted this earlier. I now have a future of heavy debt, all because you didn't warn me that I picked the wrong profession.

Also, snark aside, I love veterinary medicine. I hope to love going to work every day. However, veterinary medicine will not be my entire life.

Considering after the multiple posts about writing personal statements you post this....

Yes, you were.

Nope, I wrote that in reference to the

"Some people just aren't comfortable with laying their lives out on the table like that. I don't even like people to look me in the eyes lol."

I later said "My 'good luck' was to those saying they weren't looking forward to the client communication component of this profession."

I also only wrote one post about personal statements. I was going to leave it at that which is why I didn't reply until I saw the "I don't even like people to look me in the eyes"

Sorry if that wasn't clear to you!

"Some people just aren't comfortable with laying their lives out on the table like that. I don't even like people to look me in the eyes lol."

I later said "My 'good luck' was to those saying they weren't looking forward to the client communication component of this profession."

In that case, point #2 where you again stated a comparison of the two.... I bolded it below for you...

So who is the one being "unclear" here?

You have been comparing the two this whole time... just be honest with it.

Or maybe your written communication is lacking more than you thought?