Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope, I wrote that in reference to the

"Some people just aren't comfortable with laying their lives out on the table like that. I don't even like people to look me in the eyes lol."

I later said "My 'good luck' was to those saying they weren't looking forward to the client communication component of this profession."

Sorry if that wasn't clear to you!
Did I ever say I wasn't looking forward to client communication? Absolutely not. You do realize that being uncomfortable with eye contact is 100% natural, right? Even the most seasoned public speakers admit that they have to force themselves to make eye contact with the audience. It in no way implies that someone will be a poor communicator.

Members don't see this ad.

And honestly, if you can't seem to think of anything satisfying to write, you should maybe reconsider applying. I found writing my PS to be far from daunting- articulating my goals and passions was a joy and privelage.

This is the part that you need to reconsider. Writing is very difficult for some people. It's simply not reasonable to say "you can't think of anything satisfying to write? maybe you shouldn't be a vet." It's downright rude. It doesn't mean they don't enjoy vet med and wouldn't make a great doctor just because they're not popcorn enthusiastic about it and spilling over with exciting things to say on paper.

Regarding reading other PS's .... whatever. If your opinion is people shouldn't look at other PS's - fine. That's a valid opinion. I disagree with it: I think looking at a few examples can help someone get started when they're stumped. But whereas I will say "you're wrong" on the comment above that I quoted, I'm not going to say "you're wrong" on your opinion about reading other statements (even though I disagree). I can see your point.

In that case, point #2 where you again stated a comparison of the two.... I bolded it below for you...

Would you disagree that we must communicate in various mediums?

I wasn't relating the concept of writing a PS to client communication skills. I was replying to the thought that we shouldn't need to articulate ourselves in writing as doctors

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you disagree that we must communicate in various mediums?

I wasn't relating the concept of writing a PS to client communication skills. I was replying to the thought that we shouldn't need to articulate ourselves in writing as doctors

Again, articulating a treatment plan or diagnosis or whatever to a client (even in writing) is not at all comparable to writing a personal statement for vet school.

And again, you should be able to recognize how the two are vastly different.

I was replying to the thought that we shouldn't need to articulate ourselves in writing as doctors
This is NOWHERE near the same skill as writing a personal statement. Most of the writing you do in notes is not like this. And an in person interview goes a lot further than a cover letter

Did I ever say I wasn't looking forward to client communication? Absolutely not. You do realize that being uncomfortable with eye contact is 100% natural, right? Even the most seasoned public speakers admit that they have to force themselves to make eye contact with the audience. It in no way implies that someone will be a poor communicator.

It was said in jest, my friend! Not directed to say you'll be a poor communicator.

So who is the one being "unclear" here?

You have been comparing the two this whole time... just be honest with it.

Or maybe your written communication is lacking more than you thought?

It doesn't help that I didn't know how to quote using the SDN app until today ;)

But I don't think I was ever misleading.

There were two clear thoughts in two different posts
1) I think an applicant should write a PS without the I fluency of someone else's
2) We will need to communicate effectively in various ways with our clients- written, verbal, visual

This is NOWHERE near the same skill as writing a personal statement. Most of the writing you do in notes is not like this. And an in person interview goes a lot further than a cover letter

You never email your clients? I would say they are similar skills.

saying that if you can't write a good PS, you should reconsider your career choice is really, really bad advice.

Reconsider for a million other reasons. But not because you struggled with a PS

It doesn't help that I didn't know how to quote using the SDN app until today ;)

But I don't think I was ever misleading.

There were two clear thoughts in two different posts
1) I think an applicant should write a PS without the I fluency of someone else's
2) We will need to communicate effectively in various ways with our clients- written, verbal, visual

You clearly compared PS writing with the need to communicate with clients... and still are comparing the two. The two aren't comparable. They will never be comparable. End of Story.

Even an email to a client is NOT comparable to writing a personal statement....

Can you not see that?

Good thing I didn't compare them.

Again.

Writing a PS is a different skill than communicating with clients. However, saying the ability to write well is not a skill a veterinarian should poses would be incorrect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thing I didn't compare them.

Again.

Writing a PS is a different skill than communicating with clients. However, saying the ability to write well is not a skill a veterinarian should poses would be incorrect.

You DID compare them. And you still have. Continued to compare them.

The ability to write as communication with clients is necessary, nobody here has stated that it isn't.

We ARE stating that not being able to or not being "roses, daises and unicorn farts" happy about writing an "extraordinarily great" personal statement is NOT like communicating in any form (verbal, written, body language) to a client.

I would also note that while I am very passionate about the veterinary field and have strong, concrete reasons for pursuing it, writing my personal statement was actually a very stressful experience for me. I was pleased with the end result, but it definitely was not all sunshine and rainbows getting to that point. I think this was largely because the profession does mean a lot me, and I wanted very much to articulate that to the absolute best of my ability. I put a lot of pressure on myself to do so.

This person did!

For some people it is very difficult to write something like a personal statement. I think it's great that you found it a "joy and privilege," but that is not everyone else's experience, and does not mean they should reconsider applying.

Hey, so did this person!

Writing is very difficult for some people.

Hello!

nope. I pick up the phone and call them

Hey, you said it yourself!

Again-
To get into veterinary school, you need to write a good PS. Only someone who is passionate and prepared to apply to veterinary school would write a successful PS.
To be a good veterinarian, you need to communicate well- and this includes writing. Many people in many professions can do this.

You will not write a good PS if you can not write well.
You will not be a good veterinarian if you can not communicate well.

This does not mean writing a PS is the same as communicating with a client.
Those are separate things.

This person did!

Hey, so did this person!

Hello!

Again-
To get into veterinary school, you need to write a good PS. Only someone who is passionate and prepared to apply to veterinary school would write a successful PS.
To be a good veterinarian, you need to communicate well- and this includes writing. Many people in many professions can do this.

me saying I call clients doesn't mean I have no written communication skills. I think the real issue here is reading comprehension.

Reactions: 2 users
I do think the issue here is reading comprehension.

I said writing was important in communicating with clients. You said "nope, I call my clients."

This person did!

Hey, so did this person!

Hello!

Again-

No, not entirely true. Think of all of the different aspects of a veterinary school application. If all bad PS's were tossed, it'd be a hell of a lot harder to get in (not that it isn't already difficult).

Reactions: 1 user
This person did!

Hey, so did this person!

Hello!

Again-

Not a single one of those examples stated what you are claiming they did.

Are you sure it isn't your reading comprehension that isn't the problem here?

Can you identify where someone made that claim?
me saying I call clients doesn't mean I have no written communication skills.
hmm....just saying I didn't have good PS writing skills is not equivalent to me saying I don't have good writing skills. This is where you are getting confused.

I do think the issue here is reading comprehension.

I said writing was important in communicating with clients. You said "nope, I call my clients."

No, you asked her if she emails her clients.

She stated no, she does not use email. She instead calls her clients.

That does not equal that writing isn't important... she just chooses to not email clients.

The issue here is your lack of comprehension.

Not a single one of those examples stated what you are claiming they did.

Are you sure it isn't your reading comprehension that isn't the problem here?

Nope!

They all boiled down to "writing is hard for people" and, as you so kindly pointed out in your response, I said that we will need to articulate ourselves in various media as veterinarians.

More talking in circles. Maybe reading comprehension wasn't a pre-req at "dragon school." Or is it admitting when you are wrong? Or maybe they have a GREAT program in jumping to conclusions!

Nope!

They all boiled down to "writing is hard for people" and, as you so kindly pointed out in your response, I said that we will need to articulate ourselves in various media as veterinarians.

More talking in circles. Maybe reading comprehension wasn't a pre-req at "dragon school." Or is it admitting when you are wrong? Or maybe they have a GREAT program in jumping to conclusions!
That's kind of mean to imply what you're implying here....

Nope!

If everyone appears to be an dingus, usually it is you that is actually the dingus and not that everyone else is an dingus.

If multiple people disagree with what you say on an internet forum, that means that you are usually incorrect in your assumptions and not everyone else is stupid...

Perhaps this should sink in for a bit.

I said that we will need to articulate ourselves in various media as veterinarians.

Bullcrap. What you said was this:

And honestly, if you can't seem to think of anything satisfying to write, you should maybe reconsider applying.

Do you honestly, seriously see how what you're saying above is not equivalent to what you previously said?

Nobody disagrees that communication is important as a veterinarian. But saying that someone who struggles to write a Personal Statement should reconsider their career choice is ludicrous. Even though I disagree with other things you've said (for instance, about people reading other statements being necessarily a bad idea), I don't take issue with your opinion. But saying someone should reconsider because they struggle with the PS is just plain bad advice, and I called you out on it because I don't want people reading this thread who struggle with the PS to start thinking "Geez, maybe I'd be a crappy vet then".

There are tons of reasons to 'reconsider' vet school. This is not one of them. You're just plain wrong.

Reactions: 6 users
I still stand by what I originally said. If you can't think of anything substantial and satisfying to write for your PS on your own, you may not be ready to apply to veterinary school.

I still stand by what I originally said. If you can't think of anything substantial and satisfying to write for your PS on your own, you may not be ready to apply to veterinary school.
seems a little different from your previous statement. Definitely toned down. Still wrong

I just want to see someone wear vet med on their sleeve.... do they also **** veterinary caduceus symbols??? Or maybe paw prints?

Also, I can't wait for my non-existent children to brag that I save dogs and cats... wait... who said I was going to work with dogs and cats?

Reactions: 1 users
seems a little different from your previous statement. Definitely toned down. Still wrong

And that's cool. I respect that. You can think I'm wrong.

I go on forums to share my opinions, not have them validated :)

I just want to see someone wear vet med on their sleeve.... do they also **** veterinary caduceus symbols??? Or maybe paw prints?

Also, I can't wait for my non-existent children to brag that I save dogs and cats... wait... who said I was going to work with dogs and cats?
I think LIS said this earlier, but a few of the vets I know don't actively tell people they are vets. Mostly because as soon as they do they start getting questions about the lump on their dog's leg or their cat's itchy butthole...

You didn't know? Veterinarians are only able to work with dogs and cats now... Apparently they didn't teach you that at dragon school ;)

I think LIS said this earlier, but a few of the vets I know don't actively tell people they are vets. Mostly because as soon as they do they start getting questions about the lump on their dog's leg or their cat's itchy butthole...
Or sometimes their own itchy butthole....

Reactions: 3 users

I don't generally tell people what I do. Because of this. Because I have spent enough time in the field to know that as soon as you reveal what you do, you get these questions, even if you are not a vet quite yet. I don't want to hear about someone's dog's entire life story while I am grocery shopping, or at the dentist, or getting my hair cut, or whatever...

You didn't know? Veterinarians are only able to work with dogs and cats now... Apparently they didn't teach you that at dragon school ;)

I knew dragon school was missing out on something!

Though riding a flying dragon during Dragon Flying Management was the most amazing thing ever! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Or sometimes their own itchy butthole....

Wow. Just ... wow. So far over the line, PP, so far. :)

It's true, though. And yes, I'm one of those that doesn't tell people. If they ask what I do, I change the topic or I say something like "I worked in the telecom field for 17 years." Nobody wants to talk about that. Some vets LOVE having everyone come ask them about every little thing for 'free' advice. Or maybe feeling that needed is somehow validating to them. I don't know. Everyone's different. I'm one of those people that would rather not talk about my neighbor's vomiting dog unless they want to come see me in the hospital and pay my exam fee. I guess that makes me a bad vet since I don't live vet med 24 hours a day and wear it on my sleeve.

Reactions: 4 users
And that's cool. I respect that. You can think I'm wrong.

I go on forums to share my opinions, not have them validated :)

You mean insist that your opinions are right, tell everyone else they are wrong, backtrack a bit, then re-state your opinion in a different manner and claim you stand by this now-changed opinion... All while being condescending and rude. Good for you.

Wow. Just ... wow. So far over the line, PP, so far. :)

It's true, though. And yes, I'm one of those that doesn't tell people. If they ask what I do, I change the topic or I say something like "I worked in the telecom field for 17 years." Nobody wants to talk about that. Some vets LOVE having everyone come ask them about every little thing for 'free' advice. Or maybe feeling that needed is somehow validating to them. I don't know. Everyone's different. I'm one of those people that would rather not talk about my neighbor's vomiting dog unless they want to come see me in the hospital and pay my exam fee. I guess that makes me a bad vet since I don't live vet med 24 hours a day and wear it on my sleeve.
This is exactly what I meant by "vet med won't be my entire life." Even as a vet assistant, I got questions that I was in no way qualified to answer. I'd do nail trims for close family, but that's about it. No, I will not get free exams for your pets, no I will not text the doctor and ask her for medical advice. People lose all sense of boundaries when you tell them you work with animals in some capacity. Own a horse? Expect people who you barely talk to for free riding lessons/rides on your horse. It's the same principle.

You mean insist that your opinions are right, tell everyone else they are wrong, backtrack a bit, then re-state your opinion in a different manner and claim you stand by this now-changed opinion... All while being condescending and rude. Good for you.

You can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better!

Troll?
Oh, and funny that not all vets work directly with clients. There are plenty of areas of vet med where the "client" is a corporation, government agency or something else entirely.

I think most people didn't enjoy writing their ps, I know I didn't and I've been told I'm an excellent writer, as I'm sure many of the other posters here are as well (ex. @WildZoo )

Reactions: 1 users

I have a cartoon toof on one of my scrub tops. Paw prints would be cute

Troll?
Oh, and funny that not all vets work directly with clients. There are plenty of areas of vet med where the "client" is a corporation, government agency or something else entirely.

I think most people didn't enjoy writing their ps, I know I didn't and I've been told I'm an excellent writer, as I'm sure many of the other posters here are as well (ex. @WildZoo )
:shy:

I don't really remember my PS to be honest. It was written and revised over and over again in a flurry of activity late the night before the application was due...and the use of passive voice here is intentional because I feel very disconnected from that experience now :laugh:

:shy:

I don't really remember my PS to be honest. It was written and revised over and over again in a flurry of activity late the night before the application was due...and the use of passive voice here is intentional because I feel very disconnected from that experience now :laugh:
I am pretty sure I repressed it from my memory as well :p.

:lurking:

Personally, I did use an example PS revision to help in writing mine (wasn't even specific to vet med, it was for law school I think). I am not a "bad writer", but I sometimes describe myself as such because it takes me ages to write even short essays (got a 3 on the GRE writing because I didn't finish the first essay within the 30min time limit...) and I have always hated the process of writing them--especially those of the personal statement type, as they have the requirements of adhering to the topic, sufficiently explaining your goals/passions and how you got there, and selling yourself, ALL WHILE doing so in a way that stands out and isn't stale/bland or cliched.

Using the example provided writing style advice and inspiration on how to get the ball rolling on my own PS. Not everyone finds writing as easy and fun as you seem to--finding difficulty in articulating one's experiences and aspirations into a format that would produce a well-written and competitive personal statement doesn't somehow mean they have "nothing substantial or satisfying to write," nor that they should reconsider their educational/career goals o_O

I don't really remember my PS to be honest. It was written and revised over and over again in a flurry of activity late the night before the application was due...
Did the EXACT same :highfive: And wish I hadn't because otherwise I'd probably be verified by now...

Did the EXACT same :highfive: And wish I hadn't because otherwise I'd probably be verified by now...
Soon my dear, soon.

Fortunately for me, I just have the type of personality where once something is out of my hands I don't really worry about it anymore. That three weeks of "waiting" to be verified was barely a blip on my radar. On the other hand, I do wish I had done it earlier, if only because I think I probably could have done it better if I had given myself more time and sent it around to more people. But hey, it got the job done :)

Soon my dear, soon.

Fortunately for me, I just have the type of personality where once something is out of my hands I don't really worry about it anymore. That three weeks of "waiting" to be verified was barely a blip on my radar. On the other hand, I do wish I had done it earlier, if only because I think I probably could have done it better if I had given myself more time and sent it around to more people. But hey, it got the job done :)
Does this mean you also do not compulsively check your study guides after an exam to see if you got questions right/wrong? If so, I wish I had that quality.

Soon my dear, soon.

That's how I tend to be in most things, but once several days had passed since I submitted VMCAS and I got out of the relief/weight-off-my-shoulders phase, I started getting so anxious to see it verified and going out to the schools! I've been waiting every day for that email to come because I want to know my calculated GPAs and that I'm actually officially "in" for review :clap:and I do wish I had been able to get outside feedback, but I'm a procrastinator by nature, mainly where there's writing involved. Maybe I'll have it read here sometime so I can revise for next cycle.