Successful Applicant Stats of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a good question. An admissions rep. for A&M came to talk to our pre-vet club and he addressed this topic. He said that you can split your hours based on the duties you had - (FOR EXAMPLE) 60% of the time you did only animal-related duties (no vet supervision) perhaps and the other 40% of the time you had vet supervision and did medical-related duties. This method is how I personally approached the dilemma of categorizing "kennel attendant."

I worked at a small animal practice kennel. I administered medicine, helped out with the hospital sometimes, interacted with the vets often, and the vets were at the practice every day of the week except Sat. nights and Sundays. However, I felt like I had a lot of independence in the kennel because it was located in a separate room than the hospital and often not interact with the doctors for a day or so.

Therefore, based on my personal experience - I split my hours roughly 70% animal and 30% vet experience.

HOWEVER - You may choose to increase the percentage of your "vet" experience because technically you did have vet supervision almost every day you where there I am assuming.

I thought about this closely - How much vet experience did I feel like I got out of it? I did not want to misrepresent myself - I do not want to get in to vet school if I am not ready. So, I felt like about 30-40% of the time I was doing something medically related or directly supervised by the vets. I felt like most of the time (maybe 60-80%) I was only cleaning, feeding and walking animals (these animals were boarding animals, they were not animals there for hospital care - this may work differently for you ? i am not sure) - and this was not really vet experience in my eyes.

This was my decision though. I explained it in the descriptions of the experiences and in the extra space they had provided for additional information. I made this decision based off of what the A&M rep. said and used it for all of my apps. I would advise talking to an admissions representative at one or all of the schools you plan to apply to.

Ultimately, I did not want to claim all vet hours because I did not feel like I was getting vet experience out of it 100% of the time. But since the kennel was located within a hospital, I do believe you have every right to include it all in vet experience as mentioned above by LittleWhiz.

I like this approach. Never thought of doing that. Ha!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, that seems reasonable. I generally am bouncing back and forth and I do have near constant supervision. It's a great job for learning tons, because I have a split shift and I can stay off the clock for two hours a day and hang out in sx, etc. :D

Now, research. How did y'all find awesome research opportunities. Through your university? Otherwise? I have a little time to find something but I'm a tad clueless on the subject. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that seems reasonable. I generally am bouncing back and forth and I do have near constant supervision. It's a great job for learning tons, because I have a split shift and I can stay off the clock for two hours a day and hang out in sx, etc. :D

Also, if you request a doctor from that practice to write a letter of rec. for you, they will most likely include your responsibilities at the practice in their evaluation. Therefore, the doctor's evaluation can reaffirm the medical duties you learned while working there (and therefore justify your choice to call it "vet experience") .

Now, research. How did y'all find awesome research opportunities. Through your university? Otherwise? I have a little time to find something but I'm a tad clueless on the subject. Thanks!

If you use the search function you can find an answer to this question... This thread is not really the place to have that discussion.

The University I attend you are able to conduct an independent research project with a Professor. I did a research project with my Genetics/Developmental Biology Professor because I was interested in this field of Biology. So, depending on your University you could see if you would be able to complete a project.

I can't believe I'm finally posting here!!

Applicant Stats
- First time applicant, female, 23 years old, Tennessee resident
- Interested in SA medicine, possibly mixed practice, or specialty
- Applied – Mizzou & Tennessee
- Interviewed – Mizzou
- Rejected – None
- Application Withdrawn- Tennessee
- Attending – :love: MIZZOU :love:

Academics
- Graduated December 2012
- BS in Agriculture- Animal Science with a Minor in Chemistry
- Magna Cum Laude
- Cumulative GPA- 3.78
- Last 45 GPA- 3.81
- GRE: V- 153 Q- 151 A- 3.5 <--- epic fail!! :eek:

Honors and Awards
- Golden Key Executive Board Scholarship
- Melvin N. Johnson Scholarship
- Deans list 9/9 semesters
- Textbook Scholarship
- All-American Scholar Athlete- NCAA DIV. I Softball
- TLSAMP Scholarship
- Tennessee Hope Scholarship
- Building Bridges Scholarship
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2008- Softball
- MTSCA Senior All-Star- Softball
- Published Author- Poem
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2007- Softball
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2006- Softball
- Coaches Award- 2005- Volleyball

Community Activities
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society- Executive Board- Recording Secretary
- University Honors Program
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
- TLSAMP Student Mentor
- Guest Speaker- at local fair -about the importance of dog obedience training
- Guest Speaker- at middle school - about how to maintain an in class fish tank
- Habitat for Humanity
- TSU Women's Softball Team
- McGavock H.S. Softball Team
- McGavock H.S. Volleyball Team
- Student Council Class Rep.

Veterinary Experience
- 3500hrs - Corporate SA practice- Vet Assistant
- 650hrs - SA Private Practice- Vet Assistant
- 500hrs - Research- Housekeeping Genes in Chickens & Guinea Fowl

Animal Experience
- 20hrs- Volunteer- Equine
- 100hrs- In home Pet Sitter
- 250hrs- Volunteer Foster Mom- Great Dane Rescue
- 1160 hrs- Dog Trainer- PetsMart
- 1120hrs- Pet Care Lead- PetsMart
- 2760hrs- Pet Care Associate- PetsMart
- 600hrs- Customer Service- PetsMart

eLORs
- Vet at corporate SA practice
- Vet at corporate SA practice
- Animal Science professor/ Pre-Vet Advisor
- Former Boss- PetsMart Store Manager

Personal Statement
I worked on my PS for months. I went to my Universitiy's writing lab multiple time a week to have people proofread/ edit it.. I think it turned out pretty good :D

- My opening paragraph was a narrative about me at the age of 15 witnessing my first OVH and how I literally passed out which sparked my love for vet med..
- I then discussed briefly my journey in vet med/ animal experience- SA private practice--> PetsMart--> climbing the corporate ladder in PetsMart through several positions over the course of 4 years--> arriving at my current position in a Corporate SA practice..
- Discussed my involvement in the community that my leadership roles at PetsMart gave me and what I learned from them.
- Discussed my volunteer work with a Great Dane rescue.. talked about the horrible things I've seen from BYB situations and how it motivates me to become a Vet
- Discussed a certain case that struck a cord with me in my current job
- I closed by discussing my future goals/ aspirations

Random Stuff
- I had a couple W's on my transcript
- I had an Incomplete on my transcript for my senior project at the time of submission which I forgot to explain in the explanation statement.. Ooops.. Luckily it turned into an A once I finished my research.
- Although it was expunged from my record years ago, I said yes to the criminal history question.. I explained my now nonexistent- misdemeanor.. I was really on the fence about this.. Because it was expunged I thought that meant it was gone for good, but I didn't want to take any chances so I just explained the circumstances..

:love: Mizzou has been my Dream School for 2 years now.. I'm so pumped to head to Columbia in the fall :love:

Congrats!! :D

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

Congratulations to everyone who has posted on this thread so far!!! thats so exciting :D Woohoo!

Posting this just because I am so excited I'll be going somewhere in the fall and for others to not give up hope!! I applied last year and got 3 rejections to all three schools I applied.

Second time applicant, 22 years old, VA resident, traditional student, graduated May 2012
Applied: VMRCVM, NCSU, Mizzou, Tufts, Tuskegee, Auburn
Apps withdrawn: Auburn, Tuskegee
Rejections: Tufts, NCSU
Still waiting: None
Interview:VMRCVM, Tuskegee, Mizzou,
Accepted: Mizzou!!
Waitlisted: VMRCVM
Attending: MIZZOU!!!!

Cum GPA: 3.7
Last 45 credit hrs: ~3.95
Science GPA: Unsure about this since all schools calculate it differently. I will say, though, I had all A's and B's minues one Ochem lecture C+ and a Physics class with lab (so 4 credits) with a C
B.S. Animal and Poultry Science @ Virginia Tech (2012) GPA: 3.60 In-Major GPA
GRE: Terrible scores the first two times. Most recent with new format: 154Q, 149V, 4.0 Writing

Veterinary Experience:
-Small Animal Clinic 2000+ hours- I have worked there for over 5 years, so I got to do a lot of stuff including lab-work, reception duties, getting patient histories, take x-rays, assist in prepping and during actual surgery, monitor patients under anesthesia, etc... Also saw a fair amount of acupuncture for some holistic views
-Large Animal vet experience- some through my undergrad classes, through my boss who has her own farm, shadowing a large animal vet for a day... Total hours for this about 300
-One day of volunteering with a wildlife vet. She also used to work at my SA clinic and would bring some wildlife in occasionally.
-Tomathon- where we neuter about 30-40 feral male cats for the community. Participated for many years (done twice a year)
Research:
-Lyme Disease project done at my SA clinic- found the percentage of positive dogs and how many of them have been vaccinated
-Beef cattle behavioral research- helped set up, mostly.
-Nutrition Lab- Grind, weigh, ash samples, NDF/ADF

Animal Experience:
-Pet ownership 2000+ hours
-Dog showing/training Obedience and Rally- 200+ hours
-Large animal experience through undergrad (mostly from labs in intro to animal science, repro class, livestock management, and beef/sheep production) 400+ hours
-Pet sitting

Honors:
-Two scholarships during undergrad
-Graduated Magna Cum Laude
-Deans list
-Two scholarships from high school

Community activities:
-VP of Activities in Pre-Vet club
-Anatomy Lab Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for 2 years
-Relay for life captain for 2 years and participant for 2 years
-NRV Kennel club (just attended a few meetings/helped out some)

eLORS:
- One vet who was basically like a mentor to me
- Another vet who is my boss
- A vet who I also worked with who just sent a letter to Tuskegee (since she went to school there)
- From my adviser the last two years in undergrad
- From my adviser the first two years of undergrad

Personal Statement:
I went for something pretty different the second time around- I am told to never use those cliche stories, though I know we all have them and want to use them... just don't. I had a friend who majored in English help with all my essays. I talked about how I took my vet assistant job on a whim and then basically how my life unfolded after that during college. I included my most unique experiences in there.

Changes I made from my first application cycle:
1. The BIGGEST and by far the thing that needed the most help was my GRE. I am too embarrassed to even post my original scores, they are just that bad. Now, granted, I did not study at all. I just went in and took them and hoped for the best. I used that same strategy for the SAT/ACT for college and it worked out fine. I guess I didn't realize just how bad my scores were and I was hoping my GPA would just even them out.
So this time around, I took one of those expensive prep courses (way way too expensive in my mind...) and studied for a full 3 months before I took it in August. I got some decently competitive scores and there was no way I was going to take it again.
2. I got a 4.0 both my last semesters in college, which boosted my GPA up to a 3.7 upon graduation.
3. Showed that I persevered through the rejection last year. I did not give up. I always tell people that all my friends either got in somewhere (most of them went down to St. Georges) or they gave up and went on to do something else. But, not me- I knew this is what I wanted to do and just never gave up that dream as I knew it was so close.
4. Although I did not have a chance to put this on my application, I am able to talk about it in the interviews, at least! My boss let me enroll in veterinary technician courses! She told me about 2 weeks after I submitted my applications... ugh. Anyway, I just started those and they let me do vet tech things at work (so far I am allowed to place catheters and read urinalysis sediment since I just started). So I hope this just shows more of my dedication to my dream.

So for everyone out there, if you persevere with your dream and it is within reach, just keep at it, I think you can do it! One of my best friends from college could not get in school in the US, so she had to go to St. Georges, so she is going at her goal in a different way but I am just so glad she is able to have that opportunity as her GPA was not that great. I'm not even sure what it was- she never told me.I think it was maybe around 3.0? But, for me, I know that I would not have been happy going that way. So I am so glad that I was granted so many interviews this year and so far one acceptance!!

Last edited:
First time applicant, 21 years old, KS resident
Applied: Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State
Apps withdrawn: Iowa State
Rejections: None
Interview: Kansas State, Missouri
Accepted: Kansas State, Missouri
Attending:Kansas State :D

Cum GPA: 3.91
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.94
Science GPA: 3.82
GRE: 153 V, 160 Q

Veterinary Experience:
Mixed Animal: 700 hours

Animal Experience:
-Shelter Volunteer 200 hours
-Working with cattle on family farm: 2000+ hours

Honors:
- High School Valedictorian
-Kansas Honors Scholar
-Reno County Youth Leadership Award
-National Honor Society
-3rd Place National History Day
-Multiple State and local softball awards

Community activities:
-Resident Assisant/ Head Resident Assistant
-Traditions and Transitions Facilitator
-Health Professions Club
-Chemistry Club
-National Society of Leadership
-Peer Helpers (Student Counselor)
-Student Council Representative
-Softball
-Kansas Association for Youth (Recreation Director, Vice President
-FFA (Historian, Parliamentarian, President

eLORS:
- Two veterinarians at a local mixed animal clinic
- Dean of Students
- Director of Student Activities

Personal Statement:
I talked a lot about my experience working with my father on our cattle operation. I talked about how he taught me the importance of providing good care for the animals because it not only affected the animals and improved their well being, but also the importance of that care on the entire food industry. Then, I went into the experience of raising my first of many bucket calves. Next, I talked about my experiences with various veterinarians. Finally, I talked about my wishes to do non-profit work in the future, and my passion and desire for veterinary medicine.

This thread really helped me, so I wanted to add my stats so others can maybe get some benefit from it. I'm afraid that it's a little vague to retain some shred of anonymity :)

Applicant Stats
- First time applicant, Female, Non-Traditional
- Focus: Mixed Practice, interested in research.
- Applied/Accepted: UGA-IS

Academics
- Reported GPA (at time of application): 3.46
- Fall Transcript GPA: 3.5
- Last 45 GPA- Not sure, but around 3.7 to 3.8
- GRE: V- 164 Q- 151 A- 4.5 (Took it twice)

Honors and Awards
- Undergrad Research Initiative: Symposium Presenter
- Couple of Dean's Lists
- Several non-academic: Photography, BBQ:)

Community Activities
- Stamp Out Starvation of Horses Castration Clinic Volunteer
- Humane Society Volunteer
- Toys For Tots Company Organizer (headed up annual X-mas charities at the company I worked for).
- Crisis Ministries Volunteer (Soup Kitchen): Organized employee teams to volunteer.
- Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure: Several 5k Races, also organized race teams for my company.
- Regular Red Cross Blood Donor
- Therapeutic Riding Program Volunteer/5k Race
- PFLAG member

Clubs
- Pre-Vet Club Member
- President/Founder of Large Animal Medicine Club

Veterinary Experience
- Approx. 500hrs Research/Food Animal (Employee)
- Approx. 500hrs Mixed Practice (Employee)
- Approx. 50hrs Shelter Medicine Volunteer

Animal Experience
- Food Animal Gait Analysis Research-30hrs
- Food Animal Nutrition Research-60hrs
- Food Animal Reproduction Research-120hrs
- Poultry Research-60hrs
- Food Animal Research (Employee)-Approx 500hrs
- Farm Hand-(Grew up on a farm; only included 100hrs)

eLORs
- 2 Vets From Mixed Practice Clinic
- 2 Professors (I also did research for both.)
- PhD that I did extensive research for (Regenerative Medicine)

Misc
- Continuing Education Business Classes
- Spent 10 years working in Business Management
- The main research I was doing is really comparative medicine and the PhD on the project and the surgeon are pretty well known, so I think that may have helped me a lot.

Personal Statement
I wrote it in my head for months, then finally on paper. I only had my husband read it and he only helped me tweak some wording. It was mainly about how I decided to transition from my first career to vet med. I also discussed the ways that research has changed my perspective in regard to medical animal use (I was never against it, but my understanding has been deepened) and how working in a rural community/mixed practice helped me understand the importance of the veterinarian's role in community education/public health. It was very personal and I avoided cliche whenever possible. I never had a "moment" of clarity where I knew I just had to be a vet like some talk about so I focused on the things that made me stand out. I also used almost every character in my explanation statement to help with the career change and a few funky grades. I failed one O-Chem, got a C in Physics and a C+ in another O-Chem. Yet they still let me in :love:

First time applicant, 21 years old, KS resident
Applied: Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State
Apps withdrawn: Iowa State
Rejections: None
Interview: Kansas State, Missouri
Accepted: Kansas State, Missouri
Attending:Kansas State :D

Cum GPA: 3.91
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.94
Science GPA: 3.82
GRE: 153 V, 160 Q

Veterinary Experience:
Mixed Animal: 700 hours

Animal Experience:
-Shelter Volunteer 200 hours
-Working with cattle on family farm: 2000+ hours

Honors:
- High School Valedictorian
-Kansas Honors Scholar
-Reno County Youth Leadership Award
-National Honor Society
-3rd Place National History Day
-Multiple State and local softball awards

Community activities:
-Resident Assisant/ Head Resident Assistant
-Traditions and Transitions Facilitator
-Health Professions Club
-Chemistry Club
-National Society of Leadership
-Peer Helpers (Student Counselor)
-Student Council Representative
-Softball
-Kansas Association for Youth (Recreation Director, Vice President
-FFA (Historian, Parliamentarian, President

eLORS:
- Two veterinarians at a local mixed animal clinic
- Dean of Students
- Director of Student Activities

Personal Statement:
I talked a lot about my experience working with my father on our cattle operation. I talked about how he taught me the importance of providing good care for the animals because it not only affected the animals and improved their well being, but also the importance of that care on the entire food industry. Then, I went into the experience of raising my first of many bucket calves. Next, I talked about my experiences with various veterinarians. Finally, I talked about my wishes to do non-profit work in the future, and my passion and desire for veterinary medicine.

Fab, eschmidt32!!! Congratulations!! Can't wait until our first day at K-State! :claps::woot::hello::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I stayed true to myself and didn't apologize for my past.

Just stay calm and you'll get through it. Just stay cool and you'll finish anything, The only thing that matters is that you never quit.

I couldn't agree more. Huge Congrats, ShibaMom!

Members don't see this ad :)
First time applicant, 20 years old, New Jersey resident
Applied: Ohio State, Kansas State, NC State, Auburn, Mississippi State, RVC, UPenn
Interviews: OSU, KS, Auburn, MS state, UPenn
Acceptances: OSU, KS, automatic RVC acceptance
Interviews cancelled: Auburn, MS state
Still Waiting: NC state, UPenn interview upcoming
Rejections: none so far
Attending: unsure :rolleyes:

Cum GPA: 3.82
Last 45: 3.9
GRE: 160 V, 160 Q

Vet Experience:
about 40 small animal
about 480 equine

Animal Experience:
about 5000 equine - including work, volunteering, training, therapeutic riding help
600 hours at a pet kennel
about 75-80 hours a semester with various animal handling courses (horse, sheep, swine, poultry, dairy, beef farms)
75 hours of equine evaluation course

Activities/Honors/Awards:
Undergraduate TA in Animal Science course
Peer Mentor
Multiple president's list awards
multiple dean's list awards
Nominated JrNYLC
member of NSCS (national society of collegiate scholars)
member of clemson animal welfare society
member of tigers for tigers
4H president in high school
member of gay-straight alliance
4H leadership award
4H community service award
study abroad in India
Clemson equestrian team
Relay for life
equine drill team member
horseback riding/owning my own horse
attended the APVMA symposium
APVMA member

eLOR's:
one equine veterinarian that I worked with
the PhD professor I went on a study abroad with
the manager/trainer of my boarding barn

Personal Statement:
I basically discussed my shift in focus from exotics to equine through a personal experience that I went through with my horse's multiple injuries and then went through the decisions that have led me to my application to Veterinary school.

First time applicant, 20 years old, New Jersey resident
Applied: Ohio State, Kansas State, NC State, Auburn, Mississippi State, RVC, UPenn
Interviews: OSU, KS, Auburn, MS state, UPenn
Acceptances: OSU, KS, automatic RVC acceptance
Interviews cancelled: Auburn, MS state
Still Waiting: NC state, UPenn interview upcoming
Rejections: none so far
Attending: unsure :rolleyes:

Cum GPA: 3.82
Last 45: 3.9
GRE: 160 V, 160 Q

Vet Experience:
about 40 small animal
about 480 equine

Animal Experience:
about 5000 equine - including work, volunteering, training, therapeutic riding help
600 hours at a pet kennel
about 75-80 hours a semester with various animal handling courses (horse, sheep, swine, poultry, dairy, beef farms)
75 hours of equine evaluation course

Activities/Honors/Awards:
Undergraduate TA in Animal Science course
Peer Mentor
Multiple president's list awards
multiple dean's list awards
Nominated JrNYLC
member of NSCS (national society of collegiate scholars)
member of clemson animal welfare society
member of tigers for tigers
4H president in high school
member of gay-straight alliance
4H leadership award
4H community service award
study abroad in India
Clemson equestrian team
Relay for life
equine drill team member
horseback riding/owning my own horse
attended the APVMA symposium
APVMA member

eLOR's:
one equine veterinarian that I worked with
the PhD professor I went on a study abroad with
the manager/trainer of my boarding barn

Personal Statement:
I basically discussed my shift in focus from exotics to equine through a personal experience that I went through with my horse's multiple injuries and then went through the decisions that have led me to my application to Veterinary school.

Congrats on all of your acceptances, NJjess!

Thanks!!! I still can't really believe it :D

Alright, since I'm 95% sure of where I'm going, here it goes!

First time applicant, female, 22, RI resident (boo OOS everywhere)
Applied: Ohio State, Mizzou, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Oregon
Interviews: Ohio State, Mizzou, Iowa, Illinois(declined)
Waitlisted: Oregon (no rank), Iowa
Rejected: None so far
Apps withdrawn: Illinois
Accepted: Ohio State, Mizzou, Wisconsin
Attending: Oh god now I have to decide. Probably still Mizzou though!

Grade Business
cGPA: 3.75
science GPA: 3.5-3.65 depending on the school
GRE: 163V(93%) 163Q(88%) 4.0A(48%)

Vet Experience
Vet tech at SA hospital: 700
Volunteer vet tech at zoo: 100
Wildlife tech at a wildlife rehab center: 1600

Animal Experience
Pet sitting: 50
Kitten/Puppy fostering: 400
Animal rescue volunteer: 150
(Pet ownership: 500 I don't think this should really count, but I put it in because supposedly Wisconsin wanted it.)
Sloth rescue volunteer in Costa Rica: 150
Wildlife Rehabilitation: 300
Horse back riding: 1500
Note: I underestimated these experiences by A LOT. For instance, I've raised kittens/puppies for 4 years at least 12 weeks each year, but only gave myself 400 hours. I was much more comfortable deflating all my hours than overestimating. Looking back I probably would have given myself a lot more hours, but such is life.

Employment
Staples copy center associate
House cleaning team leader (this was a good example of leadership since I was in charge of overseeing a team for house cleaning)

Honors/awards
Dean's list all semesters
Centennial scholarship recipient
National Honors Society in high school

Community activities
Ukulele
Guitar
Flute
Pottery
Volleyball
A capella choral group
Ballet
Knitting
My artsy abilities came up in 2/3 interviews. I think they don't see a lot of this at home hobby stuff listed because people tend to think it's silly. I really think it's something that helped me stand out from other applicants. I would definitely suggest listing all those creative endeavors that you might think are not worth mentioning.

LOR's
Vet from SA practice
Vet from Wildlife Clinic
Vet from Zoo
Advisor/professor for my major

Personal Statement
I have no idea how I feel about my PS at this point. I worked really really hard on it and I cried out of frustration frequently. I took a very different and straight forward approach to mine. I haven't had any schools comment on it one way or another, so I'm not sure if it sucks or not. Essentially what I ended up doing was picking several characteristics about myself that I thought would make me a good vet, blatantly point them out, then use specific examples from my experiences to point those qualities out. In some ways I like that because I pointed out and supported exactly what characteristics I have and thought were important for vet med, but at the same time I'm not sure if I was being TOO obvious. And it certainly wasn't creative or tear-jerking. So yeah, I have mixed feelings about it.

So I don't think I forgot anything, I'll come back and update as I hear from the rest of my schools.

Last edited:
Ya know what this site needs? Like/congrats buttons. Since we dont have those...
CONGRATS Everyone!

Alright, since I'm 95% sure of where I'm going, here it goes!

First time applicant, female, 22, RI resident (boo OOS everywhere)
Applied: Ohio State, Mizzou, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Oregon
Interviews: Ohio State, Mizzou, Iowa, Illinois(declined)
Waitlisted: Oregon (no rank)
Apps withdrawn: Illinois
Accepted: Ohio State and Mizzou
Attending: Probably Mizzou!

Grade Business
cGPA: 3.75
science GPA: 3.5-3.65 depending on the school
GRE: 163V(93%) 163Q(88%) 4.0A(48%)

Vet Experience
Vet tech at SA hospital: 700
Volunteer vet tech at zoo: 100
Wildlife tech at a wildlife rehab center: 1600

Animal Experience
Pet sitting: 50
Kitten/Puppy fostering: 400
Animal rescue volunteer: 150
(Pet ownership: 500 I don't think this should really count, but I put it in because supposedly Wisconsin wanted it.)
Sloth rescue volunteer in Costa Rica: 150
Wildlife Rehabilitation: 300
Horse back riding: 1500
Note: I underestimated these experiences by A LOT. For instance, I've raised kittens/puppies for 4 years at least 12 weeks each year, but only gave myself 400 hours. I was much more comfortable deflating all my hours than overestimating. Looking back I probably would have given myself a lot more hours, but such is life.

Employment
Staples copy center associate
SRI cleaning team leader (this was a good example of leadership since I was in charge of overseeing a team for house cleaning)

Honors/awards
Dean's list all semesters
Centennial scholarship recipient
National Honors Society in high school

Community activities
Ukulele
Guitar
Flute
Pottery
Volleyball
A capella choral group
Ballet
Knitting
My artsy abilities came up in 2/3 interviews. I think they don't see a lot of this at home hobby stuff listed because people tend to think it's silly. I really think it's something that helped me stand out from other applicants. I would definitely suggest listing all those creative endeavors that you might think are not worth mentioning.

LOR's
Vet from SA practice
Vet from Wildlife Clinic
Vet from Zoo
Advisor/professor for my major

Personal Statement
I have no idea how I feel about my PS at this point. I worked really really hard on it and I cried out of frustration frequently. I took a very different and straight forward approach to mine. I haven't had any schools comment on it one way or another, so I'm not sure if it sucks or not. Essentially what I ended up doing was picking several characteristics about myself that I thought would make me a good vet, blatantly point them out, then use specific examples from my experiences to point those qualities out. In some ways I like that because I pointed out and supported exactly what characteristics I have and thought were important for vet med, but at the same time I'm not sure if I was being TOO obvious. And it certainly wasn't creative or tear-jerking. So yeah, I have mixed feelings about it.

So I don't think I forgot anything, I'll come back and update as I hear from the rest of my schools.

Congrats fellow Rhode Islander!! Mizzou will be lucky to have you :)

I can't believe I'm finally posting here!!

[...]

:love: Mizzou has been my Dream School for 2 years now.. I'm so pumped to head to Columbia in the fall :love:

Congrats Kpowell! I'm super excited for you! Shame we won't be together in the fall but best of luck!!! :love:

Congrats Kpowell! I'm super excited for you! Shame we won't be together in the fall but best of luck!!! :love:

Aww forks, thanks :love: I can't wait to see you smiling with a UTK acceptance!!!! :D I wish they didn't take so stinking long!! Best of :luck: :luck: :luck: :D

I mentioned that I played flute/banjo and knitted in my free time during my LSU interview. One of the ladies interviewing me was pumped to hear that knitting was one of my hobbies (although I refrained from showing her the knitting needles I have tattooed on my leg).

GPA- 3.67
Science GPA- 3.63
GRE- V 157 Q 157
Shadowing hours at small animal clinic/ exotics- 800
Shadowing equine- 100
Shadowing small animal only- 100
Taught undergraduate biology II and Comparative vertebrate anatomy labs
Internship at a local wildlife rehabilitation center

Got interviews at UF, Auburn, Purdue, and Kansas
So far been accepted to Kansas! Find out the rest mid-feb

I have noticed an overwhelming amount of people who have BS degrees! Ahh! I feel so far behind!

I mentioned that I played flute/banjo and knitted in my free time during my LSU interview. One of the ladies interviewing me was pumped to hear that knitting was one of my hobbies (although I refrained from showing her the knitting needles I have tattooed on my leg).

That sounds like an amazing tat! :)

Second time applicant, female, 24, MD resident (was NC resident first time applying)
Applied: Kansas, VMRCVM, NC State, Florida
Interviews: Kansas, VMRCVM, Florida (declined after NC acceptance)
Apps withdrawn: UF
Accepted: Kansas, NCSU, VMRCVM
Attending: NCSU

Grade Business
Major: Laboratory Animal Science
cGPA: 3.73
science GPA: 3.8 (I think?)
Last 45 GPA: 3.73
GRE 1st attempt: Verbal 430 (40%), Quantitative, 640 (48%), Analytical Writing 4.0, (49%)
GRE 2nd attempt: Verbal 159 (80%), Quantitative, 156 (68%), Analytical Writing 3.5 (30%)

Vet Experience
Shadowing zoo vets for a day at Baltimore Aquarium and Zoo: 12 hours
Veterinary Tech with lab animals: 2200 hours (still ongoing...)
Nutrition Research at Disneys Animal Kingdom: 960 hours
Shadowing SA vet neurology: 4 hours
Vet Assistant SA (cats only): 300 hours
Kennel Tech/Vet Assistant at SA: 700 hours
Human neuroelectrophysiology laboratory: 200 hours
Various hours from hands on labs in school: 120 hours SA, 16 LA
Research project with ester synthesis in orgo lab: 25 hours

Animal Experience:
Technician at TNR clinic with feral cats: 22 hours (still ongoing...)
Wildlife Tracking: 8 hours
SA animal care with rescue group: 24 hours
Animal Care Internship & Tour guide at big cat sancturary: 230 hours
Docent at small zoo: 56 hours
Horse handling at theraputic riding center: 48 hours
Kennel work with dog breeder: 1500 hours
(NOTE: I was HORRIBLE about keeping track of hours and what I did...note to future applicants, write down EVERYTHING and keep track of organizations/people you worked with)

Employment
Tutor through schools Honors program: 240 hours
Waitress: 960 hours
Call center rep: 1800
Burger King (oh yah :cool:) : a kajillion hours....
(NOTE: My first app, I didnt put non realted employment on my VMCAS because I didnt think it was relevant and I had this insane idea that somehow admitting I wore that stupid burger king visor until I was 20 years old felt lame...then I realized that this showed that I worked full time and/or multiple jobs the ENTIRE time I was in undergrad. It was brought up at my Kansas interview about taking a light course load and I justified it with always having to support myself financially. I would advise doing this, and if you think there is no good way to describe being a waitress and relate this to vet med then just use google...it can make any job sound amazing! :D )

Honors/awards
Gamma Sigma Delta
National SMART Grant
Deans List

Community activities
Volunteering with my sons school
Physical Fitness (I mentioned I have a goal to be a zumba instructor soon...)
Honors Program
High School Soccer

(NOTE: As you can see, my awards and community activites are not impressive. Again, I mentioned in my explanation portion that I worked ALL the time and was raising a kid...if an experience didnt TRULY benefit me (not just my resume) I didnt waste my time doing it. I simply couldnt do as much with my schedule. While I think you need to be well rounded, I dont think you need 20 clubs and awards to make you ready for veterinary school.)

LOR's
Animal Nutritionist from Disney's Animal Kingdom
Advisor/Professor from undergrad
Lab Animal vet (current boss)

Personal Statement
I talked about how I decided I wanted to do vet med my junior year, but I struggled enjoying working in private practice. I really focused on the fact that I tried to get a variety of experiences in everything to make sure this is what I want to do. I spoke about my internship at Disney and how this opened my eyes to zoo med and how sure I am I want to pursue this focus. I also talked about being a teen parent and a single mom has prepared me for real life and how much more focused and mature I am because of it.

To future applicant...basically BE HONEST and SELL YOURSELF. My first time applying (a horrible GRE score aside) I had a real issue with selling myself. It probably stems from some inner lack of self confidence that Ill pay a therapist thousands of dollars later on in life to deal with...but none the less...its hard for me to talk about myself. The second time, I talked about who I was, where I came from, and how friggin hard I have worked to get where I am. I talked about how rare it is for a teen mom to do anything with her life, much less go to professional school. I talked about how I was a first generation college student and financially indepedent since I was 17 and how this has shaped my character and work ethic. I understand not everyone has some story like this but I think EVERYONE interested in vet med has worked their butt off probably so dont be afraid to SAY THAT. First time applying, no interviews...no acceptance. Second time, multiple interivews and multiple acceptances. Im the same person I was a year ago I just PRESENTED myself totally different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wow JoAnna, amazing story. You go girl! You're an inspiration for young single mom's out there. I couldn't agree more about just being yourself for your PS. I'm interested in zoo med, too...maybe we'll cross each other as colleagues in the future. Congrats! :D

To future applicant...basically BE HONEST and SELL YOURSELF. My first time applying (a horrible GRE score aside) I had a real issue with selling myself. It probably stems from some inner lack of self confidence that Ill pay a therapist thousands of dollars later on in life to deal with...but none the less...its hard for me to talk about myself. The second time, I talked about who I was, where I came from, and how friggin hard I have worked to get where I am. I talked about how rare it is for a teen mom to do anything with her life, much less go to professional school. I talked about how I was a first generation college student and financially indepedent since I was 17 and how this has shaped my character and work ethic. I understand not everyone has some story like this but I think EVERYONE interested in vet med has worked their butt off probably so dont be afraid to SAY THAT. First time applying, no interviews...no acceptance. Second time, multiple interivews and multiple acceptances. Im the same person I was a year ago I just PRESENTED myself totally different.

I just want to emphasize this, because I think it's really true - you need to be your own best advocate in your application. It makes a difference - seriously, your statistical chances of getting into NCSU IS were so much better, but with just changing your application you got in OOS! So freaking awesome. Congrats! Dr. Lewbart's just waiting for you now. :p

:claps: :highfive: :bow:

You are awesome, JoAnna! Congratulations!

YES! I'm absolutely thrilled to be posting in this thread. This is for all you future IS Oregon lurkers, and everyone who has a GPA below a 3.5! I hope that I can inspire courage and hope in other applicants with less than amazing stats &#9786;

First time applicant, 22/F, Oregon resident, graduating in May 2013 with 2 bachelor's degrees: one in Biology and the other in French
Applied: Oregon State
Interviewed: Oregon State
Accepted: Oregon State!!

Grades
cGPA at the time of application: 3.40
cGPA with fall 2012 grades: 3.45
science GPA: I didn't have to calculate it, but it is probably somewhere around 3.2
GRE: 157V(73%) 156Q(68%) 4.0(49%)
I took the GRE twice, one month apart. The first time I scored slightly lower in both V and Q. I didn't study, although I think knowing what to expect (and getting a good night's sleep) helped me the second time around.

Note: I transferred for personal reasons from an IS public uni to an OOS public uni at the end of my junior year. About half of my pre-reqs and 2/3 of my degree were complete at the time of transfer. I think the change worked to my advantage, since my grades at the first school were on a downward trend, and it appeared as though my extracurricular activities, although diverse and impressive, may have detracted from my schooling. I was able to capitalize my growth after the move; I made some pretty significant changes to my academic and extracurricular life.

Vet Experience
Vet tech at SA hospital: 575
Shadowing SA vet: 50

Animal Experience
Kennel person at SA hospital/boarding facility: 160
Volunteer on dude ranch: 60
Cat shelter volunteer: 40
I didn't include pet ownership or horseback riding (d'oh!), although I mentioned both of these in my PS

Employment
Sound tech and administrative assistant for audio/event services student group: 700
Peer mentor and program assistant for int'l students: 190
University IT person: 160
Cheese counter clerk and customer service/demo person at high-end grocery store: 200
I also left out a big chunk of my high school employment history. Another d'oh.

Honors/awards
Dean's list
DELF and DALF diplomas (Google &#8216;em ;D)

Community activities
Varsity and club soccer in high school
Taekwondo
Pre-vet club
French club
Lacrosse club
Cycling club
Shadowed a neurosurgeon for 1 week
Shadowed a pediatric oncologist/volunteered at ped. onco. clinic for 1 summer
Volunteer at family homeless shelter on and off every few months, for about 4 years.

LORs
Vet from SA practice (she's the one I shadowed and had the most experience working under)
French advisor
Volunteer supervisor (a family friend under whom I have volunteered on many occasions. She's a special education teacher)

Personal Statement
Delicate business here. Clearly my stats weren't going to impress anyone, so I not only had to show the adcomm that I am passionate and knowledgeable about veterinary medicine, but also how my personal qualities and experiences in other areas can contribute to the profession. I started by discussing the source of my interest in vet med, and then went on to illustrate some of my vet tech experiences that I thought provided a good examples of 1) my character 2) how much I've learned 3) how hard I can and will continue to work 4) why I want to be a vet. A difficult family issue that I have been grappling with for the better part of my life came up a few times in my essays (not just in my PS); I focused a lot on how my experiences involving this issue have shaped who I have become. Packed a lot in there!

I also put a lot of thought and time into my OSU supplemental app, which I think served me well.

Other stuffs: I only applied to my IS because I thought that I wasn't a competitive enough applicant to apply elsewhere. I also just couldn't see myself paying OOS tuition. If I hadn't been accepted, I had a plans to pursue a master's degree and continue gaining experience (specifically LA) before reapplying to OR in the 2014 cycle.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Oh, and as JoAnna said, you've got to sell yourself&#8212;that was the attitude I had in mind when working on my app. Give it your all and don't be shy, show them why they should want you. :thumbup:

Last edited:
First time applicant, 21 year old female, senior at UF in Biology through College of Agriculture. Florida Resident.

Applied: UF, Oregon State (was going to apply to Wisconsin but didn't do the supp after I got accepted to UF)
Waitlisted: Oregon
Accepted: UF early acceptance
Attending: UF!

GPA
Overall: 3.71
Science: (I'm don't remember but I think around 3.6-3.65)
Last 45: 3.70

GRE
Verbal: 164 (93%)
Quant: 157 (71%)

Vet Experience:
UF Small Animal Hospital Volunteer: 115 hours
Small Animal: 335
Equine: 260
Research w/ Dairy Cows: 95
Exotics/Other: 15
Total: 820 hours

Animal Experience:
I put down 10,000 hours involving competitive horse showing for most of my life, living on a horse farm, etc. Also some working student positions with other farms, and working with horses. Some volunteer work (about 30 hours) with an exotic sanctuary.

Employment: None that wasn't animal related

Awards: Dean's list on multiple occasions, many different horse show related awards and championships

Community: Equestrian Club officer and member, ride on IHSA and IDA teams, some pre-vet club, French Club

LOR: One from an equine vet I spent almost 200 hours with, one from small animal practice owner I spent about 300 hours with, and one from a professor I had over summer in a small intensive anatomy class. All were very positive, as far as I know.

Personal Statement: I'm really proud with how this turned out, if anyone applying wants to read it, just send me a message!

Interview: UF interview went well and I think I represented myself appropriately, but I know that my interview skills aren't a strong point.

Overall, I think I was really lucky that my verbal GRE score was high. It really made my application stand out, and lifted my overall GRE scores. I think this is a huge contribution as to why I was chosen for early interviews based on academics, because I know people with higher GPAs that were not chosen :(

I'm more than happy to answer any questions for future applicants, SDN helped me a lot!

First time applicant, 21 year old female, senior at UF in Biology through College of Agriculture. Florida Resident.

Applied: UF, Oregon State (was going to apply to Wisconsin but didn't do the supp after I got accepted to UF)
Waitlisted: Oregon
Accepted: UF early acceptance
Attending: UF!

GPA
Overall: 3.71
Science: (I'm don't remember but I think around 3.6-3.65)
Last 45: 3.70

GRE
Verbal: 164 (93%)
Quant: 157 (71%)

Vet Experience:
UF Small Animal Hospital Volunteer: 115 hours
Small Animal: 335
Equine: 260
Research w/ Dairy Cows: 95
Exotics/Other: 15
Total: 820 hours

Animal Experience:
I put down 10,000 hours involving competitive horse showing for most of my life, living on a horse farm, etc. Also some working student positions with other farms, and working with horses. Some volunteer work (about 30 hours) with an exotic sanctuary.

Employment: None that wasn't animal related

Awards: Dean's list on multiple occasions, many different horse show related awards and championships

Community: Equestrian Club officer and member, ride on IHSA and IDA teams, some pre-vet club, French Club

LOR: One from an equine vet I spent almost 200 hours with, one from small animal practice owner I spent about 300 hours with, and one from a professor I had over summer in a small intensive anatomy class. All were very positive, as far as I know.

Personal Statement: I'm really proud with how this turned out, if anyone applying wants to read it, just send me a message!

Interview: UF interview went well and I think I represented myself appropriately, but I know that my interview skills aren't a strong point.

Overall, I think I was really lucky that my verbal GRE score was high. It really made my application stand out, and lifted my overall GRE scores. I think this is a huge contribution as to why I was chosen for early interviews based on academics, because I know people with higher GPAs that were not chosen :(

I'm more than happy to answer any questions for future applicants, SDN helped me a lot!

Congrats!
Yes, the people chosen for early interviews are those who passed the plug n chug equation process. UF weights the GRE extremely high so it's very important. Congratulations!!!!!

YES! I’m absolutely thrilled to be posting in this thread. This is for all you future IS Oregon lurkers, and everyone who has a GPA below a 3.5! I hope that I can inspire courage and hope in other applicants with less than amazing stats &#9786;

First time applicant, 22/F, Oregon resident, graduating in May 2013 with 2 bachelor’s degrees: one in Biology and the other in French
Applied: Oregon State
Interviewed: Oregon State
Accepted: Oregon State!!

Grades
cGPA at the time of application: 3.40
cGPA with fall 2012 grades: 3.45
science GPA: I didn’t have to calculate it, but it is probably somewhere around 3.2
GRE: 157V(73%) 156Q(68%) 4.0(49%)
I took the GRE twice, one month apart. The first time I scored slightly lower in both V and Q. I didn’t study, although I think knowing what to expect (and getting a good night’s sleep) helped me the second time around.

Vet Experience
Vet tech at SA hospital: 575
Shadowing SA vet: 50

Animal Experience
Kennel person at SA hospital/boarding facility: 160
Volunteer on dude ranch: 60
Cat shelter volunteer: 40
I didn’t include pet ownership or horseback riding (d’oh!), although I mentioned both of these in my PS

Employment
Sound tech and administrative assistant for audio/event services student group: 700
Peer mentor/exchange student guide for int’l students: 190
University IT person: 160
Cheese counter clerk + customer service at high-end grocery store: 200
I also left out a big chunk of my high school employment history. Another d'oh.

Honors/awards
Dean’s list
DELF and DALF diplomas (Google ‘em ;D)

Community activities
Varsity and club soccer in high school
Taekwondo
Pre-vet club
French club
Lacrosse club
Cycling club
Shadowed a neurosurgeon for 1 week
Shadowed a pediatric oncologist/volunteered at ped. onco. clinic for 1 summer
Volunteer at family homeless shelter on and off every few months, for about 4 years.

LORs
Vet from SA practice (she’s the one I shadowed and had the most experience working under)
French advisor
Volunteer supervisor (a family friend under whom I have volunteered on many occasions. She’s a special education teacher)

Personal Statement
Delicate business here. Clearly my stats weren’t going to impress anyone, so I not only had to show the adcomm that I am passionate and knowledgeable about veterinary medicine, but also how my personal qualities and experiences in other areas can contribute to the profession. I started by discussing the source of my interest in vet med, and then went on to illustrate some of my vet tech experiences that I thought provided a good examples of 1) my character 2) how much I’ve learned 3) how hard I can and will continue to work 4) why I want to be a vet. A difficult family issue that I have been grappling with for the better part of my life came up a few times in my essays (not just in my PS); I focused a lot on how my experiences involving this issue have shaped who I have become. Packed a lot in there!

I also put a lot of thought and time into my supplemental app, which I think served me well.

Other stuffs: I only applied to my IS because I thought that I wasn’t a competitive enough applicant to apply elsewhere. I also just couldn’t see myself paying OOS tuition.

Oh, and as JoAnna said, you’ve got to sell yourself—that was the attitude I had in mind when working on my app. Give it your all and don’t be shy, show them why they should want you. :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup: SO EXCITED.

It probably stems from some inner lack of self confidence that Ill pay a therapist thousands of dollars later on in life to deal with...

Or it will just creep right back up on you during vet school and you'll have to confront it and deal with it then. Trust me.

But you'll make it just fine.

Hello! So I am a first time applicant and I just found out I got in to Purdue! I also was an alternate at Colorado, and I have an interview at Illinois, and already did one at Western. I haven't heard from Penn or Oklahoma.

School: Purdue University
Degree: Animal Sciences
I am a junior, so I am applying a year early, but I will have all my prerequisites done by the spring semester and I will be graduating in Fall 2013.

Cumulative GPA at Purdue: 4.00
Cumulative GPA if you include transfers from high school: 3.99
Last 45 credits: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00

GRE:
Verbal: 154/ 61%
Quantitative: 156/ 68%
A: 4/ 49%
I only took it one time because I didn't have time. I did 0 studying prior to this test since I knew about 3 weeks before hand I was applying this cycle and I was in the middle of a month long daily job training. I was also in the middle of a big family conflict when I took this test and I was terribly distracted.

Vet experience:
total ~620 hours
half of that was with an equine veterinarian
I also shadowed some Rood and Riddle vets so I have a small amount of hours from there
I realize this number is not very high, but I didn't include my hours working at the Purdue Small Animal Hospital because my job does not require that I am under direct supervision of a vet. I am very conservative with all of my time logs

Animal Experience:
~3000 hours
this includes my SAH job, any experience with my horses, an equine training internship, what I did in my animal management courses, and volunteering at the shelter, etc

Employment:
I am a Resident Assistant which is considered a 20hr a week job
I work at the small animal hospital at about 5 hrs a week but varies
Last semester I was working as a research assistant for a Purdue Vet but unfortunately they had no projects going on and so I only got like 30 hours working with them
Have worked at a restaurant at home on and off since senior year of high school

I have always had at least one job since my second semester at purdue. 3 of the semesters I have had 2 jobs. I have completely paid for my school with my own money/scholarships. So the honors and awards section was ridiculously long.

Community:
Block and bridle club
Studying Abroad (wasn't sure where else to put this)
BGR team leader
member of a few scholar clubs
volunteer counselor at a camp
athletic stuff (I wasn't sure how far back to go so I just went through high school)
4-H

References:
My advisor- he's the equine extension person
A vet I worked with last summer
my boss for the SAH job
my boss for the equine internship
and a personal reference

If they only took 3 I used the advisor, vet, and I think the boss for the equine internship

personal statement: well I started it kinda late, but I think it turned out okay. I kinda just told a story of what got me interested/motivated, the experience I had last summer working with a vet (because I got to do a lot of hands on stuff), and my career goals. If you want to read it you can, but I'd probably prefer to send it in a message than post it on here.

At the Purdue interview they loved my personal statement! They were totally amazed by it, the fact that I had a 4.0, and that I was a junior. Honestly, I think the 4.0 was the really only big plus on my side, as I think it's more important to have lots of hours and good recommendations. So i guess having a good personal statement that makes you stand out among the crowd must be an important feature.

Congrats everyone! I figured I'll go ahead and post some of my stuff hehe

Applicant Stats
20 years old, male, first time applicant, SC resident, third year of university
Applied: UGA, MS State, NC State, Cornell (SC has contracts with Georgia and Mississippi)
Rejections: Cornell, NC State (lol)
Accepted: UGA (contract), MS State (contract)
Attending: I am most likely going with UGA!

Academics
Predicted graduation date: May 2014 (I send my vet school first year transcript back to get my BS)
Major: Animal and Veterinary Science
GPA: 4.0
GRE: V - 160, Q - 160, A - 5.5

Honors and Awards
President's List each semester
Research Publication (small journal article in a butterfly science journal from small research group my freshman year)
Employee of the Month at my job as basically a tutor (SI leader)
Palmetto Fellows scholarship (specific to my state)
Trustee scholarship (specific to my university)
International Baccalaureate diploma
Academic Honors Award (something that came with my HS diploma)
AP Scholar with distinction
AATG/PAD Germany Study Trip winner (free month in Germany)
Black Belt in taekwondo
Duke TIP participant

Community Activities
APVMA symposium attendee 2011/2012
Logistical Coordinator of Clemson Gay-Straight Alliance for a year
Alpha Lambda Delta honors frat member (it isn't a typical Greek life kind of frat)
Clemson Gay Straight Alliance active member (for the years I was not a coordinator)
Pre-Veterinary Club active member
Foreign Exchanges with Germany (other than the trip I won)
Various martial arts
Miracle League participant (worked with special needs kids playing baseball)

Veterinary Experience (at time of application)
Mixed Animal/Equine (unpaid intern) - 105 hours
Small Animal Day Practice (paid intern and employee) - 310 hours
Small Animal Emergency Clinic (paid employee)- 164 (Still currently working there)
Food Animal Research - 60 hours (undergrad research with dairy cows)

Animal Experience
Kennel Cleaning - 40 hours
Various Large Animal Handling - 30 hours (horse/cattle/swine/sheep)
Dairy Cattle Handling/Healthcare - 30 hours
Swine Handling/Healthcare - 30 hours
Equine Handling/Healthcare - 30 hours

Employment
Undergrad Teaching Assistant (animal an/phys and repro labs) - 15 hours
Supplemental Instruction Leader (tutor-ish) - 200
Supplemental Instruction Leader Mentor - 5

Letters of Reference
Small animal day practice vet (watched me grow up as well)
Small animal emergency vet
Mixed animal vet
PhD professor and research leader
University employer

Personal Statement
I did not use any specific situational example, but I discussed how my interest in veterinary medicine developed through my undergrad and work-related experiences and how all of my experiences (veterinary and non-veterinary related) have contributed to my preparation for the DVM program. I talked about my fascination with medicine and why I chose veterinary medicine over human medicine. I also discussed my current goals with a DVM degree, my understanding of my options, and how I am nonetheless keeping the door open to other options as I move through the professional program. I made sure to use direct statements asserting stuff about myself with evidence to back it up.

So that was basically my application - I acknowledge that I applied as a junior and am very fortunate to be able to head to veterinary school next Fall!

Last edited:
Applicant Stats
First time applicant, female, 19 years old, PA resident, Finished my undergrad in 3 years!
Interest large animal
Applied: Michigan State, Iowa State, Purdue, Cornell
Interviewed: Iowa State and Purdue
Wait listed: Purdue and then accepted
Accepted: Michigan State, Iowa State and Purdue
Attending: Michigan State

Academics
Graduating in May 2013 with Bachelors in Biology and Minor in Chemistry
Cum GPA - 3.75
Science GPA - 3.68
Last 45 GPA - 3.97
GRE: V-148 Q-153

Veterinary Experience
186 hrs Banfield Pet Hospital
336 hrs Large Animal
124 hrs in Small Animal Hospital in Internal Medicine, Surgery, and Oncology Departments
676 hrs at local small animal vet

Animal Experience
Raised a leader dog puppy for Leader Dogs for the Blind
Helped with a therapeutic riding program
Worked at the Meadows racetrack with equine

Honors and Awards
Deans List 5/5 semesters
Leader Dogs Founders Tribute Silver Award
Presidential Scholar Award
Proud Lion Award
Lazarro Family Scolarship
Rotary Scholarship
Lions Club Scholarship
American Legion Scholarship
Wendy's High School Heisman Award and many others...

LORs
Large Animal Vet
Leader Dogs for the Blind
Organic and Biochemistry Professor

Community Activities
Science Fair Judge
Secretary of the Lions Club
Chem CLub
Alpha Lambda Delta
National Society of Leadership
American Chemical Society
Women in Science
Political Volunteer
Nursing Home Volunteer
Relay for Life
Multiple Sclerosis Walk - Captain and others....

Last edited:
It's quite embarrassing to be posting my stats here, especially when most people I spoke with thought it was fairly obvious my stats were utterly against my ever attending veterinary school. I didn't get accepted to a US school, but I'm ok with that because it was expected. In posting this, I wish to provide even just one person with a bit of hope for the future.

Applicant Stats
26 years old, female, first time applicant, ME resident
Applied: Tufts, Penn, PEI, Glasgow, SGU
Rejections: Tufts, Penn
Accepted: Glasgow, SGU
Attending: Either Glasgow or SGU

Academics
Graduation date: 2012, 2009
Major(s): Biology, Fine Arts
GPA: 3.16
Science: ~2.90
GRE: V - 158, Q - 146, A - 4

Honors and Awards
Multiple ribbons for horse shows (Regional and World Champion)

Community Activities
Art Club
English Society
Equestrian team
Half-marathon races for charity
Dog Agility, non-competitive

Veterinary Experience
Large Animal - 500 hrs
Small Animal - 150 hrs
Aquatic Animal - 220 hrs
Wildlife - 400 hrs

Animal Experience
Equine/Cattle - 2000++ hrs
I grew up on a farm so there is no real way to tract the number of husbandry hours spent with any particular species.

Letters of Reference
Large animal veterinarian
Aquarium Senior Biologist
University Professor and Advisor
Physics Lab Coordinator

Last edited:
It's quite embarrassing to be posting my stats here, especially when most people I spoke with thought it was fairly obvious my stats were utterly against my ever attending veterinary school. I didn't get accepted to a US school, but I'm ok with that because it was expected. In posting this, I wish to prove even just one person with a bit of hope for the future.

Applicant Stats

Academics

Honors and Awards

Community Activities
Art Club
English Society
Equestrian team

Veterinary Experience
Large Animal - 500 hrs
Small Animal - 150 hrs
Aquatic Animal - 220 hrs
Wildlife - 400 hrs

Animal Experience
I grew up on a farm so there is no real way to tract the number of husbandry hours spent with any particular species.

Letters of Reference
Physics Lab Coordinator

Most people were wrong because you ARE going to vet school. US or not, you made it! My friend is at Glasgow and LOVES it. She said any hesitation she had over going outside of the US vanished in the first couple of weeks. Congrats! :D

It's quite embarrassing to be posting my stats here, especially when most people I spoke with thought it was fairly obvious my stats were utterly against my ever attending veterinary school. I didn't get accepted to a US school, but I'm ok with that because it was expected. In posting this, I wish to prove even just one person with a bit of hope for the future.

Applicant Stats

Academics

Honors and Awards

Community Activities
Art Club
English Society
Equestrian team

Veterinary Experience
Large Animal - 500 hrs
Small Animal - 150 hrs
Aquatic Animal - 220 hrs
Wildlife - 400 hrs

Animal Experience

Letters of Reference
Physics Lab Coordinator

I'd really like to thank you for posting these. It gives those of us with lower GPA's some hope in this rough process. Best of luck to you at Glasgow or SGU!

I'm sure some of you will judge me, but I don't care because I'm ACCEPTEDDDD!!!! ;)

Don't ever give up hope - 4.0's eat your heart out :)

- First time app, 24 years old, Iowa res
- Interested in public health / international work
- Applied – Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, SGU, Glasgow, Dublin, Western
- Interviews – ISU, Glasgow, Western
- Rejected – Minnesota, Illinois
- Application Withdrawn- SGU, Dublin, Glasgow, Western
- Attending – IOWA STATE!!!

Academics
- Graduated May 2011
- BS Animal Science
- Cumulative GPA- 3.3 ish
- Last 45 GPA- via ISU 2.97 :eek: worked way too much and had a personal thing senior year
- Sci GPA- 3.2 ish
- GRE: V- 158 Q- 151 A- 4.0

Honors and Awards
lots of the same ones everyone applies to with above a 3.2 !
honors program 2 years
one notable study abroad award/scholarship (studied abroad @ Massey, NZ)

Veterinary Experience
research/LA internship with an animal health company - one summer
public health job creating educational materials - 3 ish years
track vet shadowing - one summer VERY low hours
random neuter clinics - very low hours
shadowing at SA hospital - very low hours
Food & Agriculture Org, LA work- one year
research/work in a Viro lab - one year

Animal Experience
have had bunnies we sell to 4-Hers - forever
working with a thoroughbred trainer - 3 years
random swine nutrition trial work - very few hours
LA work Peace Corps - ~2 years

feel like I'm missing a few things, but calculated all of it at one point and Animal+Vet was over 12,000 hours!

"Other"
intramurals
art
music - band since 4th grade or something, guitar, uke
generally a ton of volunteering with kids
campus tour guide
study abroad
learning community peer mentor
prevet, B&B club member
can speak Spanish and a little Tagalog
first gen college student - and you bet I highlighted it where I could discretely!

eLORs
two public health vets
one LA research vet

Personal Statement
I had a few close friends, my brother, and one of my eLORs read and give me opinions on my PS. Almost all my friends said I laundry-listed, in a bad way. My eLOR and brother said that because the prompt was "explain the evolution of your interest in vet med" (or something similar) that the brief listing I did do was well-put. I basically picked three things I'm most proud of job/experience-wise that developed my interest and brought me to applying. Opened with a cheesy anecdote about vaccinating a bull on top of a mountain in Guatemala that I tied back into at the end. I'm sort of a cheesy person so I think I made it work... :) overall it could have been way better I'm sure, but I think it showed maturity and heart.

Explanation
All my grades were pretty much straight B's, few A's... I'm very good at this! Mostly due to working 30+ hours a week with full schedule all four years to help my family, and help myself get through college. I wrote about learning to balance work and school in my explanation, because my senior year killed my GPA for this reason. IDK if it was necessary, but I felt it was worth noting my work ethic and how I've learned to prioritize what's important.

Overall I'm in shock! but I'm living proof that you can, por lo menos!, get into your IS with a non-stellar GPA.

Good luck my friends!

- Third time app, 25 years old, Iowa res
- Interested in bovine medicine
- Applied – Iowa State All three times
- Interviews – Iowa State two of the three
- Rejected – NONE

Academics
- Graduated May 2009
- BS Animal Science
- Cumulative GPA- 3.2 ish
- Last 45 GPA- via ISU 3.45
- Sci GPA- 2.57 ish
- GRE: V- 152 Q- 145 A- 3.5

Veterinary Experience
Interned summer of 2007 with a mixed animal vet
worked as assistant for company vet with hogs

Animal Experience
Grew up with horses
part-time help on our family cattle farm for the last 8 years
2 years as a territory manager with hogs
Currently working as a cattle nuritrtionist

"Other"
Manage barrel races in home town
Manage rodeo queen pageant in home town
rodeo queen titles

eLORs
1 Vet i interned with in 2007
1 professor
1 family friend
1 customer

Personal Statement
Talked through my development into wanting to come back to school.

Explanation
talked through having a child while attending school and the struggles i went through with that.

Yeah, I'd say this should give hope to those who are truley meant to be in this position but just can't sit still for a 4 hour test and maybe wasn't an organic chemistry whiz! I AM STOKED!

I'm sure some of you will judge me, but I don't care because I'm ACCEPTEDDDD!!!! ;)

Don't ever give up hope - 4.0's eat your heart out :)

- First time app, 24 years old, Iowa res
- Interested in public health / international work
- Applied – Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, SGU, Glasgow, Dublin, Western
- Interviews – ISU, Glasgow, Western
- Rejected – Minnesota, Illinois
- Application Withdrawn- SGU, Dublin, Glasgow, Western

Academics
- Graduated May 2011
- BS Animal Science
- Cumulative GPA- 3.3 ish
- Last 45 GPA- via ISU 2.97 :eek: worked way too much and had a personal thing senior year
- Sci GPA- 3.2 ish
- GRE: V- 158 Q- 151 A- 4.0

Honors and Awards
lots of the same ones everyone applies to with above a 3.2 !
honors program 2 years
one notable study abroad award/scholarship (studied abroad @ Massey, NZ)

Veterinary Experience
research/LA internship with an animal health company - one summer
public health job creating educational materials - 3 ish years
track vet shadowing - one summer VERY low hours
random neuter clinics - very low hours
shadowing at SA hospital - very low hours
Food & Agriculture Org, LA work- one year
research/work in a Viro lab - one year

Animal Experience
have had bunnies we sell to 4-Hers - forever
working with a thoroughbred trainer - 3 years
random swine nutrition trial work - very few hours
LA work Peace Corps - ~2 years

feel like I'm missing a few things, but calculated all of it at one point and Animal+Vet was over 12,000 hours!

"Other"
intramurals
art
music - band since 4th grade or something, guitar, uke
generally a ton of volunteering with kids
campus tour guide
study abroad
learning community peer mentor
prevet, B&B club member
can speak Spanish and a little Tagalog
first gen college student - and you bet I highlighted it where I could discretely!

eLORs
two public health vets
one LA research vet

Personal Statement
I had a few close friends, my brother, and one of my eLORs read and give me opinions on my PS. Almost all my friends said I laundry-listed, in a bad way. My eLOR and brother said that because the prompt was "explain the evolution of your interest in vet med" (or something similar) that the brief listing I did do was well-put. I basically picked three things I'm most proud of job/experience-wise that developed my interest and brought me to applying. Opened with a cheesy anecdote about vaccinating a bull on top of a mountain in Guatemala that I tied back into at the end. I'm sort of a cheesy person so I think I made it work... :) overall it could have been way better I'm sure, but I think it showed maturity and heart.

Explanation
All my grades were pretty much straight B's, few A's... I'm very good at this! Mostly due to working 30+ hours a week with full schedule all four years to help my family, and help myself get through college. I wrote about learning to balance work and school in my explanation, because my senior year killed my GPA for this reason. IDK if it was necessary, but I felt it was worth noting my work ethic and how I've learned to prioritize what's important.

Overall I'm in shock! but I'm living proof that you can, por lo menos!, get into your IS with a non-stellar GPA.

Good luck my friends!

High five! My stats are samesies :)

It's quite embarrassing to be posting my stats here, especially when most people I spoke with thought it was fairly obvious my stats were utterly against my ever attending veterinary school. I didn't get accepted to a US school, but I'm ok with that because it was expected. In posting this, I wish to provide even just one person with a bit of hope for the future.

-

Yeah, I'd say this should give hope to those who are truley meant to be in this position but just can't sit still for a 4 hour test and maybe wasn't an organic chemistry whiz! I AM STOKED!

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys! My stats are low as well and it's inspiring to see your posts. You've definitely given me some hope for next cycle. You are all rock stars :)

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys! My stats are low as well and it's inspiring to see your posts. You've definitely given me some hope for next cycle. You are all rock stars :)

sell yourself is all I have to say! if you believe you're worthy of being accepted, it will show in your application!

Thanks everyone for your lovely and kind words! :love:

Good luck in the next cycle prevetdreamer! Don't give up!

To those that are being accepted with lower GPA's and GRE's, you have nothing to be embarrassed about! It puts a smile on my face seeing you guys get accepted and being able to follow your dreams, you are what makes me want to keep trying :)

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile