Successful Applicant Stats of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever get to post here at all . . . let alone in my first cycle!

I'm a little hesitant to post here because I know people with stats such as mine are often judged rather harshly, but as others have mentioned before, I really want to provide some encouragement for those applicants who don't have perfect stats. I've certainly had my fair share of "you'll never make it to vet school" and "you're not cut out for this field." I know how tough this process can be in that regard. But if I can do it, you can too! Seriously! There's so much more to all of us - as applicants and as people - than the numbers on our transcripts. So I'm here to say: don't let a few lousy grades hold you back!

Now that I'm done with my soapbox routine, here are my stats! :D

First time applicant, female, 24 years old, Massachusetts resident.
B.S. Animal Science with minors in English and Dairy Management.
Graduated December 2012

Applied: Auburn, Colorado, Kansas, Oregon, St. George's, Illinois, Minnesota, AVC, Penn, Wisconsin, Washington.
Rejected: Auburn, Colorado, Kansas, Oregon, Illinois, Minnesota, Penn, Wisconsin, Washington.
Interviewed: AVC, St. George's (declined).
Accepted: AVC
Attending: AVC!!! :love:

Stats
Cumulative GPA: 2.96 <--------- This is NOT a typo!
Science GPA: Never actually calculated it, but I'm certain that it's lower than my cumulative!
GRE: V: 164 (93%) Q: 152 (52%) A: 4.0 (49%)

Veterinary Experience
900 hours of SA clinics
180 hours of shelter medicine.

Animal Experience
1200 hours of zookeeping
600 hours with dairy cattle (including being an advisor for a dairy management class)
900 hours of lab animal
3,500 hours of 4-H (mostly rabbits)
600 hours of equine

Extracurriculars
4+ years on the Women's Varsity Rowing team
Pre-Vet Club
Sigma Alpha, professional agricultural sorority
Dairy Club

LORs
My undergrad advisor, who is a veterinary pathologist and also taught a couple of my classes.
One of my dairy management professors who I've gotten to know really well.
The SA vet I worked for.
My rowing coach.

Personal Statement
I don't really have a "reason" for my low GPA other than that it took several years of college before I got my priorities straight and figured out how to study properly. So instead of trying to explain away my grades, I focused on playing up my experiences as much as possible. I pulled out 4 key experiences, described what I'd done and how this influenced my career path (for example, I talked about how my first dairy management class sparked my interest in LA, and inspired me to pursue a dairy minor), what I learned from the experience, and most importantly, how I was going to use the skills I learned in vet school and beyond.

Interview
I really think my interview is what swung my application into the "Accepted" pile. I received an interview invite from AVC in February, and they started sending invites in December, so I had a feeling that I was being offered a spot that someone else had already declined. I knew I needed to make a really good impression if I was going to have any hope of getting in. I started preparing as soon as I got the invite, using the questions posted on the Interview Feedback page. I practiced my answers and thought about potential follow-up questions. During the interview, I did my best to portray myself as relaxed, self-confident, and enthusiastic . . . even though I was really a jumbled of nerves! After it was over, my interviewers remarked that they were impressed by how well prepared I was. I must have done something right, because I got an early offer of admission six days later! So my point here is this: if your stats aren't great, use the interview as your chance to stand out and show the school who you really are!

My point in posting is this: you CAN get into vet school without perfect stats. It may take you a little longer and you may have to work a little harder. You may need to consider the international schools. You'll get a lot of rejections - I had nine rejection letters before I got my first interview offer. But if this is what you really want, you can find a way to make it happen! Keep your head up, show the schools that there's more to you than just the numbers, and most importantly, don't ever give up! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATSSS Blackdog!! I have been rooting for you!!! :soexcited::soexcited:

CONGRATS BlackDog!!!! Your Gonna Be a VET!!!!!

Thank you, everyone! I definitely wouldn't have survived the admissions process without all the support I've gotten from everyone here! :thumbup:

And FYI for all who are scared to post stats while still waiting on another school...it's def. not bad luck. I posted mine after being accepted to four schools and was still accepted to two afterward :)

So maybe it's good luck? :idunno:

And FYI for all who are scared to post stats while still waiting on another school...it's def. not bad luck. I posted mine after being accepted to four schools and was still accepted to two afterward :)

So maybe it's good luck? :idunno:

I've heard back from all of mine, but don't want to post until I know where I'm going next year. :oops:

Phew! I was getting really worried that I would have to reapply. Just got my acceptance from Georgia today. Here's my info, and I hope it helps. Good luck to everybody still waiting to hear back.

First time applicant, female, 23 years old, Georgia resident.
B.A. in Biology with Minor in Psychology
Graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2012

Applied: Washington State, Ohio State, Colorado State, University of Pennsylvania, University of Georgia, Cornell
Rejected: Washington State, Ohio State, Colorado State, Cornell
Interviewed: Ohio State, Penn
Waiting: Penn
Accepted: University of Georgia
Attending: Undecided.

Stats
Cumulative GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.36
GRE: V: 167 (97%) Q: 161 (83%) A: 5.5 (96%)

Veterinary Experience
100 hours SA Emergency Clinic (volunteering)
1200 hours lab animal research (paid work, 3 years)
650 hours SA private practice (internship)

Animal Experience
567 hours rehabilitation of harbor seals (internship)
65 hours wildlife rehabilitation (birds/mammals) (volunteering)
525 hours wildlife rehabilitation (birds/mammals) (Internship)

Extracurriculars
Habitat for Humanity 3 years, Coalition LIason 1 year where I organized a cross chapter fundraiser
(Many more listed from high school as required by the VMCAs application)

LORs
Lab PI I worked for over three years
Organic Chemistry Professor
Marine Mammal Rescue Manager during my harbor seal internship
SA Vet that I had the summer internship with

Personal Statement
I started my personal statement by talking about the different aspects of veterinary medicine I had learned from the the SA internship, wildlife internships, and laboratory research on mice. The first paragraph discussed practical knowledge I had gained which allowed me to act when I saw a squirrel in distress on my college campus.

The next paragraph discussed the importance of team work, which I had learned through all of my internships and my role in Habitat for Humanity. I also took time to discuss how I had seen doctors work with their clients and adapt to their finances/needs.

Then I talked about what actually happened that day I saw the squirrel and how I was able to capture it safely and bring it to my school's emergency veterinary hospital. At the hospital, the teamwork I had spoken about before came into play, because it took the veterinary technicians, a secretary, and myself to bring this squirrel to a rehabilitation center.

Unfortunately, the case of this squirrel was not a success story, and I already knew that when I handed him over because he was bleeding. I later found out he was euthanized due to extensive fractures and anemia. My last paragraph was spent discussing the importance of euthanasia and how my wildlife background makes me acutely aware of quality of life issues. I also talk about the bond of pet owners and how it may blind them to the undue suffering of their pets.

Other Notes:
I had two C+ on my record from organic chemistry and I withdrew from Orgo II. I did spend time writing about extenuating family circumstances that caused me to have a couple of rough semesters.

First time applicant, 23 years old, Female, Oregon resident.
Applied: Oregon, SGU
Apps withdrawn: SGU
Rejections: None
Still waiting: None
Interview: Oregon, SGU offered one, but after I already accepted my IS offer.
Accepted: Oregon State Class of 2017!!!

Academics:
Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.76
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.78
Science GPA @ time of application: 3.52
B.S. Health Sciences (2012) - 4.00 major GPA
GRE: first time: 163V (91%), 154Q (60%), 5.0A (92%).

Veterinary Experience:
-Small animal/pocket pets general practice (working as a VA): 600 hours
-Small animal emergency practice (shadow): 30 hours
-Research/laboratory animal (Internship): 80 hours
-Total vet experience: 710 hrs

Animal Experience:
-Volunteer at therapeutic riding center, focusing primarily on horse care, training new volunteers on horse handling, grooming, tacking for classes, leading and side-walking for disabled or young riders: 180 hours
-Volunteer at local zoo, handling and presenting/discussing various reptiles (snakes, tortoises, lizards/skinks) to Girl Scout/Boy Scout troops and other small groups. Occasional handling and presenting of rabbits, hedgehogs, armadillos, and ferrets under large group circumstances. Also collected and placed in habitat snow for lions, cheetahs, leopards, otters, etc. as well as gathered calf carcasses as enrichment for wolves and condors: 110 hours
-Volunteer at local animal shelter: 25 hours
-Weekend kennel manager (dogs and cats only): 375 hours
-Pet Sitter: 100 hours
-Care for personal dogs, cats, gerbils, guinea pig, bearded dragon, canary, and piranhas: 2100 hours
-Total animal experience: about 3,000 hours

Other Employment:
-Current: veterinary assistant
-Test Proctor for disability students
-Copy Editor for college daily newspaper
-Direct Care Professional for disabled adults in a group home setting
-Beauty Advisor/Service Clerk (wayyyy back in high school haha)

Honors:
-Gradauted Cum Laude
-Dean's list/President's list
-College Honor Societies
-High School Honors Diploma and CIM
-Scholarships
-Quill and Scroll honor society and National Honor Society in high school
-Academic letters, outstanding achievement awards, semester achiever awards in high school

Community activities:
-Pre-Vet club President and Treasurer
-Tutor for refugee students in primarily math and English
-Blood Donor Ambassador for ARC
-Pre-Health society member
-Class representative of Honors Program Committee
-Judicial Board member
-High School Editor-in-Chief and reporter
-Safety Camp leader
-Police cadet/explorer
-H.S. band council, member of concert/symphonic bands

eLORS:
-1 DVM working with laboratory/research animals
-Employer
-Head of Sociology Dept., whom I T.A'd for.
-Volunteer Coordinator for the therapeutic riding center

I think my veterinary/animal experience hours are proof positive that it's not always how many hours you have, but the diversity of experiences you have. You may not have thousands of veterinary hours, but you can still get in!

Personal Statement:
I'll be honest...I wrote my P.S. last minute (took about 3 days). I dreaded it so much, I put it off until right before I submitted my VMCAS app. It focused on my evolution from being a child who thought she one day would be President of the U.S. (solely to keep animals of the streets, according to a childhood "About Me" project) to someone who decided instead to head down the path of Criminology (plans to be a criminal profiler). This path morphed into wanting to be a Medical Examiner (pre-med) and then back to my original passion, vet med. I discussed why this is for sure the right path for me and why/how my experiences support this.

I suppose what future applicants can get from my overall experiences is that it's totally okay to not want to be a veterinarian right out of high school!

Also, I did not write an explanation statement for VMCAS or OSU's supplemental. It really is optional, so don't feel guilty leaving it blank :)

I'm so excited to see all of the successful applicants on here! Congrats to everyone (especially my fellow Oregon State classmates)! I hope posting my stats helps for anyone who will be applying for the next cycle and beyond (always feel free to PM me with questions about OSU if you wish). I look forward to utilizing SDN more (I was incredibly late to the party haha) ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
First time applicant, 23 years old, Female, Oregon resident.
Applied: Oregon, SGU
Apps withdrawn: SGU
Rejections: None
Still waiting: None
Interview: Oregon, SGU offered one, but after I already accepted my IS offer.
Accepted: Oregon State Class of 2017!!!

Academics:
Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.76
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.78
Science GPA @ time of application: 3.52
B.S. Health Sciences (2012) - 4.00 major GPA
GRE: first time: 163V (91%), 154Q (60%), 5.0A (92%).

Veterinary Experience:
-Small animal/pocket pets general practice (working as a VA): 600 hours
-Small animal emergency practice (shadow): 30 hours
-Research/laboratory animal (Internship): 80 hours
-Total vet experience: 710 hrs

Animal Experience:
-Volunteer at therapeutic riding center, focusing primarily on horse care, training new volunteers on horse handling, grooming, tacking for classes, leading and side-walking for disabled or young riders: 180 hours
-Volunteer at local zoo, handling and presenting/discussing various reptiles (snakes, tortoises, lizards/skinks) to Girl Scout/Boy Scout troops and other small groups. Occasional handling and presenting of rabbits, hedgehogs, armadillos, and ferrets under large group circumstances. Also collected and placed in habitat snow for lions, cheetahs, leopards, otters, etc. as well as gathered calf carcasses as enrichment for wolves and condors: 110 hours
-Volunteer at local animal shelter: 25 hours
-Weekend kennel manager (dogs and cats only): 375 hours
-Pet Sitter: 100 hours
-Care for personal dogs, cats, gerbils, guinea pig, bearded dragon, canary, and piranhas: 2100 hours
-Total animal experience: about 3,000 hours

Other Employment:
-Current: veterinary assistant
-Test Proctor for disability students
-Copy Editor for college daily newspaper
-Direct Care Professional for disabled adults in a group home setting
-Beauty Advisor/Service Clerk (wayyyy back in high school haha)

Honors:
-Gradauted Cum Laude
-Dean's list/President's list
-College Honor Societies
-High School Honors Diploma and CIM
-Scholarships
-Quill and Scroll honor society and National Honor Society in high school
-Academic letters, outstanding achievement awards, semester achiever awards in high school

Community activities:
-Pre-Vet club President and Treasurer
-Tutor for refugee students in primarily math and English
-Blood Donor Ambassador for ARC
-Pre-Health society member
-Class representative of Honors Program Committee
-Judicial Board member
-High School Editor-in-Chief and reporter
-Safety Camp leader
-Police cadet/explorer
-H.S. band council, member of concert/symphonic bands

eLORS:
-1 DVM working with laboratory/research animals
-Employer
-Head of Sociology Dept., whom I T.A'd for.
-Volunteer Coordinator for the therapeutic riding center

I think my veterinary/animal experience hours are proof positive that it's not always how many hours you have, but the diversity of experiences you have. You may not have thousands of veterinary hours, but you can still get in!

Personal Statement:
I'll be honest...I wrote my P.S. last minute (took about 3 days). I dreaded it so much, I put it off until right before I submitted my VMCAS app. It focused on my evolution from being a child who thought she one day would be President of the U.S. (solely to keep animals of the streets, according to a childhood "About Me" project) to someone who decided instead to head down the path of Criminology (plans to be a criminal profiler). This path morphed into wanting to be a Medical Examiner (pre-med) and then back to my original passion, vet med. I discussed why this is for sure the right path for me and why/how my experiences support this.

I suppose what future applicants can get from my overall experiences is that it's totally okay to not want to be a veterinarian right out of high school!

Also, I did not write an explanation statement for VMCAS or OSU's supplemental. It really is optional, so don't feel guilty leaving it blank :)

I'm so excited to see all of the successful applicants on here! Congrats to everyone (especially my fellow Oregon State classmates)! I hope posting my stats helps for anyone who will be applying for the next cycle and beyond (always feel free to PM me with questions about OSU if you wish). I look forward to utilizing SDN more (I was incredibly late to the party haha) ;)

Welcome to sdn and CONGRATS! Can't wait to meet you this fall!!!

1st time non-trad applicant. 27 years old. NYC resident.

Schools:
Applied:
Cornell (IS), Tufts, UPenn, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, VMRCVM
Interview Invites: Minnesota (declined)
Accepted: Cornell
Applications withdrawn: Tufts, UPenn, Wisconsin, Ohio, VMRCVM
Attending: Cornell!!!

Academics:
4.5 credits short of a BA in History (I wish I was kidding!)
Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Last 45: 3.76
GRE: 164 V (93%), 154 Q (60%), 5.0 W (92%)

Vet Experience (hrs @ time of app):
220 hours: small animal (paid vet tech/assistant)
16 hours: equine (shadowing)
19 hours: large animal (shadowing)
40 hours: mixed (Tufts AVM)

Animal Experience:
70 hours: Kennel attendant
260 hours: Cat shelter and fostering
180 hours: Pet-sitting
1400+ hours: Pet ownership (did not include on VMCAS but did add for Wisconsin)

Letters of Rec:
1 from former boss (JD)
1 from Orgo lab instructor (PhD)
1 committee letter from Pre-Health Advisor (PhD)
1 from Practice owner of SA clinic (DVM)

Employment/Other stuff:
I've worked fulltime at a corporate job (non-vet med field) the entire time I did my pre-req's. I went to school at night and worked/volunteered on the weekends.
Pre-vet chair of Post-Bac Club
Active in TNR in my Brooklyn neighborhood
Former dancer (ballet)
Transferred twice
Planned my entire wedding in 5 months while working and taking organic chem :)
Various other awards/scholarships/dean's list type stuff

I didn't think I would get in anywhere this year due to my lower than average experience hours. I also live in an urban area so finding LA/equine hours was tough. I made a big point in my personal statement to discuss working full-time + school + volunteering/working for experience on the weekends as well as my "life experiences" and what I can bring to the table as an older/more mature applicant. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me!
Your stats are somewhat similar to mine which makes me feel a lot better about my chances. I read the first couple with all their experience I was worrying a little bit, but now I feel like I might get off the waitlist this year! Thanks!

I'm still flabbergasted that I am able to post here. This is for any non-trads without stellar grades or GRE's, just life experiences.

1st time non-trad, 25 year-old female, OK res
Schools:
Applied: Okstate IS
Interviewed: Okstate
Accepted: OKSTATE!

Academics:
BS Animal Science Pre-vet option
Cum GPA: 3.68
Required GPA: 3.33
GRE: V: 153 Q: 154 A: 3.5 (i know...horrible!)

Vet Experience
Currently work as a tech at a SA Clinic 550 hours on the app
Shadowed a Mixed animal practice during the summers after freshman and sophmore years 310 hours
Pre-vet intern at OSU 120 hours
Foal team at OSU Fresh, Soph, and Junior year about 40ish hours
Worked with a professor for a class on a research project on cattle 20 hours

Animal Experience:
Of course the million dogs my family has had since I was born.
I've owned horses since I was 13 and was the sole caretaker of them. Started showing when I was 15 in 4-H.
I gave riding lessons to children and adults as well as breaking young horses and putting hours on older horses.
Farm sat for people in my town who had horses, cattle, chickens, dogs, and cats while in high school and weekends in college.
Volunteered with a therapeutic riding center in college and fed the horses for them 4-5 days a week.
A wrangler at a girl scout camp where I taught girls how to care for horses as well as leadership skills and independence.
Internship at OSU's feed yard where I helped grad students with research, ran the skidder and tractor with wagon to feed, cleaned water tanks, and worked cattle.
My husband works on a cattle ranch so I help them feed, work cows, and sometimes pull calves on my days off.

Other Employemnt:
Worked in high school at a farm and ranch store
In college I worked at a liquor store as a sales associate
After graduation I moved to SW Ks with my husband and was a purchasing agent at an animal health distribution company.
Moved back to OK and worked as an admin assistant at the corporate office of a milling company.
Last July quit my job there and started working as a tech at SA clinic with AWESOME vets who have supported my dreams.

LOR's
Vet that used to be on the boards that owns the clinic I work at
Another vet I work with
Nutritionist I worked with at the milling co

Honor/awards/other stuff
Scholarships from Animal Science, CASNR, and OSU
President's Leadership council
President's Honor Roll 6 semesters (also got 3 C's so they aren't the end of the world)
Pre-vet club
Horseman's Association
Collegiate FFA & high school FFA
OSU concert band and high school band (flute)
Church choir (played the drums)
Did concurrent enrollment at a nearby community college my senior year of high school

Personal Statement:
Talked about my decision going from Pre-vet to thinking about Grad school for beef nutrition and back to trying to get into vet school. I explained how I went out in the real world to make sure that this was what I really wanted. I played up the fact that I was being realistic about this decision and had looked at this not only as my dream, but financially.

I was really surprised that I got a straight up acceptance and not waitlisted, since my grades weren't as wonderful as everyone else on here. My interview went amazing and I know my LOR's were as good as you can get so I think that really helped.

Your stats are somewhat similar to mine which makes me feel a lot better about my chances. I read the first couple with all their experience I was worrying a little bit, but now I feel like I might get off the waitlist this year! Thanks!

I'm crossing my fingers for you! :xf: My hours were definitely on the low side but I tried to stress in my personal statement that they were all quality hours!

4th time applicant, Female, 24 years old, South Dakota resident
B.S. in Biology from South Dakota State University
M.S. in Biological Sciences from South Dakota State University

1st Cycle c/o 2014:
Applied: Iowa St., Minnesota, CSU, KSU, Missouri
Waitlisted: KSU interview maybe
Rejected: ALL

2nd Cycle c/o 2015:
Applied: Iowa St., Michigan St., KSU, CSU
Interviewed: Iowa St.

3rd Cycle c/o 2016:
Applied: Iowa St., Minnesota, Michigan St., Mississippi St., LSU, KSU, Washington St., Oklahoma
Interviewed: Iowa St., Minnesota

4th Cycle c/o 2017:
Applied: Iowa St., Minnesota, Michigan St., VMRCVM, Wisconsin, Ohio, Royal, and Ross
Interview: Iowa St., Minnesota, Ross (declined)
Rejected: Ohio, VMRCVM, Royal, Wisconsin
Waiting: Michigan St.
Waitlisted: Minnesota
Accepted: Iowa St.
Attending: IOWA STATE:soexcited:

Last 45 GPA: 3.53-3.8
Science GPA: 2.7 (from Iowa) to 3.3
Cum GPA: 3.22 (From Michigan St.)
GRE: I took it 4 times and recommend if your first try is not good to take a course if you can afford it…oh and don’t take it four times!
1st V-420, Q-530, A-3.0
2nd V-440, Q-540, A-3.5
3rd V-380, Q-620, A-3.5
4th V-151, Q-152, A-4.0.

Veterinary Experience:
Working as a Veterinary Assistant between 2 SA hospitals-700
LA shadow-80 (one of the vets I work with luckily is married a LA vet)
LA shadow-spring break 35
SA shadow between 2 other clinics-200
Research Vets-300
Another LA mostly equine shadow-85

Animal Experience:
Local Humane Society-20
Working on a friends family farm-20
Animal Research facility at SDSU-1100
Assistant Manager at Dog Kennel-2500
Volunteer at a Rescue-30

Employment:
TA for Anatomy class-200
Sale Associate-350
Receptionist-200
Six Flags Lead rides operator-300

Honors and Awards:
Dean’s List 3 different semesters
High School Honor Roll
All-State Soccer

Community Activities:
Coached a youth soccer team this past fall
Pre-Vet club
Horse Club
Humane Society Fundraising group
Intramural Soccer
High School Soccer
High School Volleyball
High School Softball

Personal Statement:
I started my statement talking about living on the island Guam and how that intrigued my interest in veterinary medicine in high school. I then moved on to talking about what I have learned about other aspects of veterinary medicine. I made sure to emphasize my leadership and international experiences. I finished it off by talking about my goals in veterinary medicine and where I’d like to see myself go. I think the key to my final PS is that I had EVERYONE read it. All 5 vets I work with, a high school English teacher, college professor, a couple of vet students, a medical doctor, my advisors in undergrad and grad school. If you have questions PM me!

Side Note: While I have a different story and was rejected 3 times in a row without a waitlist. I’m just hoping somebody with low GPA and average GRE can look at mine whether they have applied or not and realize that they can get in. My first few years of undergrad were bad and there was a D and quite a few C’s mixed in my transcript. I retook most of these and then finished my Master's in a year and a half, which I think really helped as well as quitting my kennel job and working full time at a clinic. I even told myself that after 3 tries I would give up my losses and apply to Ross, but after hearing from some admins that I was close I had to give it one more shot. Good thing I did!! :D I knew if I got interviews again that I would tell my interviewers that I had applied multiple times and I was determined to get in. Moral of this story is that if you really want to do this do NOT stop. I hope this helps someone!

CONGRATS SAKI!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!! I really admire your perserverance! :biglove: :hardy: :thumbup: :D

Welcome to sdn and CONGRATS! Can't wait to meet you this fall!!!

Thank you! I look forward to meeting you as well :) Sounds like we have the makings of a fantastic class of 2017!

2nd time applicant, Female, 22 years old, Nebraska resident
B.S. in Animal Science from Cornell

1st Cycle c/o 2016:
Applied: Iowa State
Rejected: Iowa without an interview

2nd Cycle c/o 2017:
Applied: Iowa State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Kansas State
Interview: Iowa, Kansas State
Rejected: Ohio
Waitlisted: Kansas State, Oklahoma
Accepted: Iowa State (UNL/ISU Program)
Attending: Iowa State

Academics
Cum GPA: 3.45
Last 45 GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.19
GRE: V-710, Q-760, W-4.5

Veterinary Experience:
Shadowing at SA clinics- 350

Animal Experience:
Humane Society-1140
Goat Showing-25
School's Farm-50
No Kill Shelter-100
Wildlife-25
Rabbit Breeding-50
Horse back riding lessons/shows-150
Pet Sitting/Dog walking-250

LORs:
Vet who I spent the most time shadowing
Academic Advisor
Prof I TA'd for and took some classes from

Employment:
TA for Domestic Animal Biology

Honors and Awards:
Dean's List for three semesters
National Honor Society in high school
AP Scholar with honor

Community Activities:
PreVet Peer Mentor
Block and Bridle
PreVet Society
Tutoring
Marching Band/Drum line/Orchestra
Chinese Bible Study

Personal Statement:
Did the cliched dying pet except it was a hedgie. Talked about what I've learned from the shelter, how proud I am of my sucky grades and perseverance. Wrote about the SA clinic and that honestly I don't know what I want to do as a vet but I know I want to be a vet and nothing would keep me from that goal. It wasn't a fantastic essay but it got the job done

Interview: My interview for the UNL program was so bad. It started with me completely blanking on the word socket to ending with the guy who hated me telling me no ring worm isn't that bad. I went straight from there to the bathroom to cry. They did seem impressed with two things: my license to kill (certified trained in EBI from AHA) and my FEMA training. I think that may have pushed me over the edge into the acceptance category. That and the one interviewer who thought puppy food tests were the cutest things in the world.

Hi all, long time lurker but I am finally posting because of all the help SDN has given me. I don't think I would have been a successful applicant if not for this forum, and I have spent countless nights reading through the successful applicants threads of previous years worrying about my own stats. Just remember, the application is not all about numbers, and it's important to make yourself stand out!

First time applicant, 22 years old, Male, CA Resident.

Applied: U Penn, Ohio State, Colorado State, Washington State, VMRCVM, Oregon State, Western, UC Davis, Tufts, Auburn, Kansas State
Rejected: U Penn, Ohio State, Colorado State, Washington State
Waitlisted: Oregon State (withdrawn)
Interviews: Western, UC Davis, Tufts, Auburn, Kansas State, VMRCVM (declined)
Accepted: Western, UC Davis, Tufts, Auburn, Kansas State
Attending: Undecided, but most likely UC Davis

Degrees: B.S. in Biological Sciences with a Minor in Architecture
Overall GPA: 3.32
Last 45 GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: ~3.0
GRE: Verbal: 640 (89%), Quantitative: 800 (94%), Writing: 5.0 (92%)

Veterinary Experience:
- Small animal experience at a private clinic as an assistant: ~1000 hours
- Intern at a large zoo in Asia: ~250 hours
>Total ~1200 hours

Animal Experience:
- Pet owner since forever
- Horseback riding as a child

Other Experience:
- Research at a Computational Biology lab in undergrad ~400 hours
- Shadowed an anesthesiologist, orthodontist, otolaryngologist, and ophthalmologist in Asia ~320 hours
- Shadowed an optometrist in California ~200 hours
- Worked at research company for one summer ~300 hours
- Research in high school at a local university studying homology modeling of proteins ~1000 hours
>Total ~2220 hours

Honors:
- Pre-dental honor society, board member
- Dean's list for a couple of semesters
- Freshman Science Honors courses
- Half tuition scholarship to university
- A bunch of high school honors (IB/AP/National Merit)
- Siemens Competition Finalist in high school

Community Activities:
- University Pre-Veterinary Medical Association, board member
- University Shelter Animal Club, board member
- Service trip to Honduras
- Various hospital volunteer jobs throughout the years
- School yearbook/newspaper sports photographer

LORs:
- Professor I did research under for a couple of years
- D.V.M. I worked under at the private animal clinic
- D.V.M. I worked under at the international zoo

Personal Statement:
I started with how I didn't want to be a vet due to my growing up around the profession (being that my parents are veterinarians). I then explained every medical profession I had experienced: a wide range of human medicine. Having experienced a plethora of different medical professions, I hadn't felt a particular attachment towards anything and went back to try veterinary medicine after 10 years away from it. After working for just a short while, I realized that I loved it and switched allegiances from dentistry (what I had been planning to do) to veterinary medicine. I never looked back after that.

Other Stuff:
- My grades weren't so hot. I had a couple of W's, a good number of C's, and an overall lack of direction for a couple years in college
- I believe my breadth in the medical field (not just veterinary medicine in general) helped me a lot as well as my international experiences
- I believe that my GRE scores helped me offset my weak GPA

The takeaway is that even with a below average GPA, it is still possible to get into vet school! For interviews, I tried to not be nervous or over prepare, but rather just be myself. I made the interviewers laugh and had a good time everywhere I went. Also remember, once you get an interview, your grades rarely matter anymore. You've most likely already gotten past the number-crunching step and have been given a chance to prove yourself as a person rather than just an application. Make the best of it!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I will try to check back every so often!

I am a super long time lurker. This forum has been really helpful to me as well. :)

First time applicant, 24 years old, female from NY.

Applied: Cornell, Tufts, Penn, Wisconsin, RVC, NCSU, VMRCVM, Davis, Purdue, Missouri, Minnesota
Rejected: Davis, Missouri, NCSU
Waitlisted: Penn, withdrew app
Interviews: VMRCVM, Minnesota (declined), Purdue, Tufts, Penn
Accepted: Cornell, Tufts, Purdue, VMRCVM, Wisconsin, RVC,
Attending: Cornell

Degrees: B.A. in biological sciences with honors (at my school "honors" means your cGPA is above 3.25 and you write and defend a thesis)
Overall GPA: 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
GRE: Verbal: 166 (90 something %), Quantitative: 158 (70 something%), Writing: 5.0 (90 something%)

I hate calculating hours. I have many of them but more important IMHO is how long you work at a place and how much responsibility you have. You will always learn more if you have responsibility. Hours shadowing are not as valuable as fewer hours with responsibility. (These comments have not been approved by any admissions committee...)

Veterinary Experience:
Managed 2 labs and cared for mice and fish at a medical center, full time for 1 year
Shadowed lab animal vets at this medical center for 3 mo., 2 days a week
Assistant in a SA emergency/specialty hospital, 1.5 years 20 hours a week
Assistant in a SA GP for 1 year full time

Animal Experience:
Worked at one zoo on dolphin vocalization project for 6 months, 5 hrs/week
Worked at another zoo studying gorilla behavior. project took over 2 years, published as first author
Received NSF REU fellowship for project with damselflies (field and lab work), published as first author (took a summer and the rest of the school year to write the paper)
2.5 years as research assistant in ornithology lab. ended up with another publication (not first author)

Other Experience:
1 year (5-10 hours/week) as research assistant in dev psych lab
2 years (5-10 hours/week) as tutor in reading and math for 8th graders and GED tutor in a homeless shelter
TA for animal behavior 2 years in a row

Honors:
Dean's list for all 4 years of undergrad
Graduated with honors in biology, with thesis

Community Activities:
Active in my dorm--managed the kitchen coop, orientation aide for first years, etc.

LORs:
2 DACVECC/DACVIMs
1 SA GP (DVM)
2 PhDs (my coauthor on one paper, and an organismal biology prof)
1 lab animal vet

Personal Statement:
expository style (not narrative) that covered my extensive pet owning experience, my research, my small animal vet experience and my interest in lab animals

Other comments:
I decided to pursue vet med in Dec of my final year of college. Originally I planned to take 2 years off between college and vet school, but I will have taken 3 by the time I enroll in vet school. I think this was such a good decision; I became a much stronger applicant during the third year, wrote a much better personal statement, and am generally more ready. I don't know if I would have been as successful if I applied after 2 years like I planned.

Also I applied to so many schools in the hopes of living with my fiancee who was applying to graduate school as the same time as me. I don't actually recommend 11 schools---the application fees in total cost over $3,000. But it was worth it for us because we will be able to attend the same university and live together!

I am happy to answer PMs about this process!

Last edited:
Hopefully this will be helpful to somebody out there.

First time applicant, male, 31 years old, Colorado resident.
Graduating with a B.S. in Biology in May 2013.

Schools
Applied: Colorado State University, UC Davis, Washington State University, University of Wisconsin
Interviewed: UC Davis, WSU (I declined)
Accepted: CSU, UC Davis, UW
Attending: UC Davis!!! :D

Stats
Cumulative GPA: 3.95
Last 45 GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
GRE: V: 166 (96%) Q: 156 (68%) A: 3.5 (30%) -> Timed writing is not my forte!

Veterinary Experience
550 hours as a paid veterinary assistant in a small animal clinic.
450 hours as a volunteer in the same clinic.
*** I also included a bunch of random hours accumulated by spending time with specialist vets who visited this same clinic in order to routinely perform special procedures. For example, if I spent 1-2 hours helping a specific board-certified radiologist perform ultrasounds on several occasions, I added those hours up and put them under their own heading in the VMCAS application. Also, in the descriptions for these, I emphasized that I not only assisted these unique vets with their procedures, but also conversed with them at length about their unique experiences and business models in order to gain a more broad understanding of the profession. I think this helped demonstrate that although most of my hours were at one clinic, I still made an effort to gain a more complete understanding of all the facets of veterinary medicine.

Animal Experience
~2000 hours as a "farm hand" on my step-family's farm as a child.
~100 hours as a pet sitter at various times throughout the years.

Employment
Research Assistant with my university's Department of Biology.
Student Assistant in various jobs at my university.
Certified Pharmacy Technician.
Various customer service positions -> I tried to emphasize how these types of jobs have really helped me learn how to communicate with people.

Extracurriculars
Pre-Vet Club President -> There was no pre-vet club at my university, so I started it and thus became the de facto president! If you don't have a club at your school, I highly suggest starting one, as it is really fantastic leadership experience.
Biochemistry Tutor
Member of my university's LGBT/GSA club.
CCI volunteer as a child

Honors
President's List - multiple semesters
Dean's List - multiple semesters
Organic Chemistry Lab student of the year.

LORs
1 from the lead vet and practice owner of the clinic where I worked/volunteered.
1 from another vet in the same practice, who I had a strong personal connection with.
1 from my mammalogy/ecology/physiology professor, who I knew could address my academic strengths.
*** Yes I had two vets from the same practice write me letters. However, I knew that they could write really great letters and both address unique aspects of my character.

Personal Statement
I had intended to write a long sob story about my socioeconomically disadvantaged upbringing, but one of the vets I worked with who had served on an admissions committee advised me to absolutely not do that, which I think turned out to be really great advice! Instead I wrote in a really level-headed tone, focusing on actions I had taken to improve my life and pursue my passion of veterinary medicine, and emphasising how challenges I faced have actually better prepared me for a career as a veterinarian. I also organized everything into a narrative form so that the reader could become invested in my story and anticipate its inevitable climax - being admitted to vet school!

Interview
Okay, so I was incredibly lucky because I found out I was accepted at CSU before I went to interview at UC Davis, so all the pressure was off! However, before knew about CSU I was really worried about the interview and was frantically trying to do everything I could to make it go smoothly. This included buying a brand new suit that I absolutely HATED, but that I thought I needed in order to make me "fit in" with the other interviewees. Once I knew I was in at CSU I decided that I would just go and enjoy the experience of the interview at UC Davis - and that meant being myself and not wearing a suit! I figured that I would rather be denied for who I actually am than accepted as a phony - a phony I knew I would have to continue to pretend to be for the next four years. Of course, the day of my interview I was the ONLY guy there who was not in a full three piece suit. At that point I just figured I was way out of my league, denial was inevitable, and that I may as well just relax and try to have fun so that the trip wasn't a total bust. Well, I guess that must have worked because I ended up being accepted, which is great because I also ended up falling in love with everything at UC Davis! So, moral of the story: please just relax and be yourself at your interview, especially if it is the MMI format. Speaking of the MMI format - there really is no way to prepare. It is designed to test how you perceive things, how you organize your thoughts, and especially how you communicate in various situations - the important "soft skills" that a doctor needs, but which vet school can't necessarily teach you. It can seem a little scary at first, but if you realize that there are no "right" answers you can hopefully relax and just let your interviewers see your individual thought process and explain to them your perspectives on the scenarios. I actually thought it was a ton of fun!

If anyone wants more details about anything, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Third time applicant, 24 years old

Applied: UGA, Auburn, Illinois, Iowa, VMRCVM, UF, Tennessee, SGU, Oklahoma, Mississippi
Interviews: Auburn, Mississippi, Illinois, Iowa, SGU, Tennessee (declined)
Rejected: UF (after interview waitlist), VMRCVM (after interview waitlist), UGA
Waitlisted: Iowa, Mississippi, Oklahoma
Accepted: Auburn, Illinois, SGU
Attending: Auburn

Degrees: BA in Biology with a minor in French Language
Overall GPA: 3.39
Last 45: 3.56
Science: 3.37
GRE: V 162, Q 152, Writing 4.5 (under the old system it was V: 680, Q: 690)

Veterinary Experience
-SA Emergency Practice: 2700 hours
-SA Internal Medicine: 150 hours
-LA Ambulatory: 200 hours
-SA General Practice: 20 hours

Animal Experience
-Horseback Riding
-Internship at the Zoo
-Wildlife Rehab
-Marine Biology field course

Honors
-Beta Beta Beta, Biological Honor Society
-Pi Delta Phi, French Honor Society
-International Photography Competition, 3rd Place
-Photos published in college arts magazine
-Editor-in-Chief of a departmental newsletter
-Dean's Honor Roll (2009)
-Doerpinghaus Award for Summer Study in Biology
-Tower Scholarship (school specific)
-HS Honor Roll x4
-Magna cum Laude graduation from HS

Other Employment
-Research Assistant
-Student Worker in two departments at my college
-Waitress/Hostess at a BBQ place

Community Activities
-Volunteer at the Aquarium
-Jazzercise
-Zumba
-Study Abroad to France
-Dragon Boat Race

eLOR's
-4 vets I have worked with
-Professor I helped with his research
-Biology Professor

Between application cycles, I took additional science courses to increase my science GPA and prove that I could make A's in upper-level science courses (I made all A's and B's in undergrad, but the B's can really bring you down). I also sought out additional animal and veterinary experience to increase the variety of my experiences. Most schools wanted me to have more large animal experience, so I made sure to spend a lot of time with the large animal vet that I worked with (one day per week every week to work around my work schedule). For about 6 months over the last summer before this application cycle I was working two jobs, shadowing at two other veterinary facilities, assisting with a research project, volunteering, and taking Anatomy & Physiology as a summer course. It was a lot of work and I was insanely busy and sleep deprived, but it was worth it because all of my hard work paid off in my being ACCEPTED to vet school (finally!).

Persistence pays off. If this is what you really want, keep improving and keep trying. After being told "no" two years in a row, I bought myself a wooden sign that says "Prove them Wrong" and worked my butt off to do it.

Last edited:
1st time applicant, 20 years old, Female, PA resident
Applied: Penn
Interviewed: Penn
Accepted: Penn
Attending: PENN!! :biglove:

Academic Numbers:
BS, Biology (Genetics and Developmental Biology option) - Penn State Abington (Satellite campus)
Expected Graduation: May 2013 (Graduated in 3 years)
Cum GPA: 3.88
Last 45 GPA: 3.97
GRE: 160Q, 153V, Writing 3.5 :)rolleyes: oops...)

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal Hospital - 500
Small Animal Clinic - 200
Program @ Penn - 35

Animal Experience:
Wildlife Rehabilitation - 250
Bio Lab Technician (took care of animals in the labs)- 500
Cat Shelter - 700

Employment:
Computer Lab - Help Desk Assistant - 2,500
Waitress (at various restaurants) - 3,000
Cashier - 800

Honors/Awards:
Schreyer Honors College Scholar
Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society
Deans List all semesters
Various Scholarships

Community Activities:
Science and Environmental Club Member
Doylestown Hospital Volunteer
Lab Technician
Peer Assistant

Research:
2 Projects in Organic Chemistry
1 Project in Biology/Physiology
1 Project in History of Chemistry
ACS 2012 Student Presenter
MARM 2012 Student Presenter
ACURA (PSU-Abington research organization) since Freshman year
Schreyer Thesis - Organic Chemistry
If you're interested in any of my specific research topics, just PM me!

eLORs:
1 - Ph.D - Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry Professor/Research mentor since Freshman year
1 - Ph.D - Molecular Biology Professor - had him for 9 different classes
1 - Ph.D - Molecular Biology Professor - had him for 4 different classes
1 - Veterinarian @ Small animal hospital

Personal Statement:
Just PM me.

Advice to Future Applicants:
As you can see, my numbers are not the best, at all. But I think what got the admissions committee's attention is the fact that I pushed myself throughout my entire college career. During the semester I applied (Fall 2012) I took a total of 31 credits (25 of which were all science classes) and had multiple jobs/volunteer works/research projects. I've never had a semester of less than 19 credits, and I promise you, they noticed it.
I made the switch to veterinary medicine pretty late in the game. And as a consequence, in this past summer, I was going to work/taking classes/volunteering for 75+ hours a week. Again, they noticed it.
Overall, just learn to juggle more and more as you go on throughout college. I truly believe it will make you a stronger applicant.

Good luck to all future applicants out there! If you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to PM me, I'm here to help!

Applied: UGA, Auburn, Illinois, Iowa, VMRCVM, UF, Tennessee, SGU, Oklahoma, Mississippi
Still Waiting: Illinois, SGU
Accepted: Auburn

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience
-Horseback Riding
-Internship at the Zoo
-Wildlife Rehab

Honors
-Dean’s Honor Roll (2009)
-HS Honor Roll x4

Other Employment
-Research Assistant

Community Activities
-Jazzercise
-Zumba
-Study Abroad to France
-Dragon Boat Race

eLOR’s
-Biology Professor

Between application cycles, I took additional science courses to increase my science GPA and prove that I could make A’s in upper-level science courses (I made all A’s and B’s in undergrad, but the B’s can really bring you down). I also sought out additional animal and veterinary experience to increase the variety of my experiences. Most schools wanted me to have more large animal experience, so I made sure to spend a lot of time with the large animal vet that I worked with (one day per week every week to work around my work schedule). For about 6 months over the last summer before this application cycle I was working two jobs, shadowing at two other veterinary facilities, assisting with a research project, volunteering, and taking Anatomy & Physiology as a summer course. It was a lot of work and I was insanely busy and sleep deprived, but it was worth it because all of my hard work paid off in my being ACCEPTED to vet school (finally!).

Persistence pays off. If this is what you really want, keep improving and keep trying. After being told “no” two years in a row, I bought myself a wooden sign that says “Prove them Wrong” and worked my butt off to do it.

Félicitations! C'est chouette de voir une autre francophone qui sera véto :cool:

Still Waiting: Illinois, SGU
Accepted: Auburn

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience
-Horseback Riding
-Internship at the Zoo
-Wildlife Rehab

Honors
-Dean’s Honor Roll (2009)
-HS Honor Roll x4

Other Employment
-Research Assistant

Community Activities
-Jazzercise
-Zumba
-Study Abroad to France
-Dragon Boat Race

eLOR’s
-Biology Professor

Between application cycles, I took additional science courses to increase my science GPA and prove that I could make A’s in upper-level science courses (I made all A’s and B’s in undergrad, but the B’s can really bring you down). I also sought out additional animal and veterinary experience to increase the variety of my experiences. Most schools wanted me to have more large animal experience, so I made sure to spend a lot of time with the large animal vet that I worked with (one day per week every week to work around my work schedule). For about 6 months over the last summer before this application cycle I was working two jobs, shadowing at two other veterinary facilities, assisting with a research project, volunteering, and taking Anatomy & Physiology as a summer course. It was a lot of work and I was insanely busy and sleep deprived, but it was worth it because all of my hard work paid off in my being ACCEPTED to vet school (finally!).

Persistence pays off. If this is what you really want, keep improving and keep trying. After being told “no” two years in a row, I bought myself a wooden sign that says “Prove them Wrong” and worked my butt off to do it.

Congrats! You should be very proud of yourself! :D

Second time applicant, Female, 22 years old, MN resident

First Cycle (C/O 2016)

Applied: Minnesota
Rejected: Minnesota

Cumulative GPA: 3.23
Last 45 Credit GPA: 3.03
GRE: Q-600 (47%), V-510 (65%), W-4 (45%) [I took it twice]

Second Cycle (C/O 2017)

Applied: Minnesota, Iowa State, Kansas State, Illinois
Interviewed: Iowa State, Kansas State, Illinois
Rejected: Minnesota, Iowa State, Kansas State
Accepted: Illinois
Attending: Illinois!!!

Cumulative GPA: 3.31
Last 45 Credit GPA: 3.35
Science GPA: 2.98 (calculated by Iowa State), 3.01 (calculated by Illinois)
GRE: Q-155 (69%), V-157 (77%), W-4.5 (72%)

Veterinary Experience:
2900 hours SA private practice
*really difficult for me to quantify since my Dad is a veterinarian I grew up at his clinic and worked there since I was small so its actually WAY more than this.

Animal Experience:
50 hours food animal & equine farm
600 hours kennel

Other Employment:
Cashier- Mall of America/Nickelodeon Universe
Cashier- Econo Foods grocery store

Awards/Honors:
Girl Scout Gold Award
Drama Award
Academic Excellence Award
Girl Scout Leadership Award
Girl Scout Silver Award

LORs:
SA private practice owner
Retired vet & close friend of the family
Animal Science professor & my advisor
Former boss
Church youth leader

Personal Statement:
-Touched on my work at the SA clinic and everything I have learned from working there over the years.
-Focused on the three mission trips I have taken to Guatemala over the last 5 years.
-Focused on my family history of veterinary medicine, I will be the 4th generation veterinarian in my family (my Great-Grandpa, Grandpa, and Dad were all vets)!
-Discussed how my application improved since the previous cycle

:)

Congrats kjvollmar and everyone else on their acceptances!

kjvollmar you will be in my class next year! Super excited to meet everyone! :)

First of all, congratulations to everyone in the c/o of 2017! I really didn't want to post my stats but this thread was extremely beneficial to me last year, so I guess I'm gonna pay it forward. Everyone is so much more astounding than me. Truly, I am unworthy to post here! Warning: my stats are not amazing and I still wonder why I got accepted to any school. Haha. I lack the most in the experience portion. I remember looking last year and hyperventilating at the people having thousands of hours of experience in multiple fields. A current vet student told me to lie about my hours and that my vet would vouch for my hours when I went to the horse stable with her ... I guess honesty is the policy :)

Female, First time applicant, 22 years old, GA Resident
B.S. in Biology, minor in Chemistry

Applied: University of Georgia, Kansas State, Mizzou, Illinois, Wisconsin, Tufts, Tuskegee
Interviewed: Kansas, Mizzou, Illinois, Tuskegee
Rejected Tufts
Waitlisted: Illinois, Georgia
Accepted: Mizzou, Kansas, Wisconsin
Waiting: Tuskegee (most likely will not be going there anyway)
Attending: Not sure

Cumulative GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.75
GRE: Q: 700 V: 550 A: 4.0 - old gre

Veterinary Experience:
- Work at SA Hospital 720 hrs
- Shadowed SA Vet 20 hrs

Animal:
- Wildlife rehab volunteer 30 hrs (I still volunteer here, so awesome!)
- Zoo Volunteer 20 hrs
- Primate Research Intern 130 hrs
- Visiting horse stable with vet 5 hrs (I was TRYING so hard to get something - so sad I know)
- Shelter Volunteer 20 hrs

Honors:
- Magna cum laude
- President's list/Dean's list
- AP Scholar
- Hope Scholar

Community:
- Vietnamese Student Assoc.
- Dancer for Filipino Student Assoc.
- Tribeta Biological Honor Society
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Ran Track and Cross Country in HS
- National Honor Society in HS
- Beta Club (President) in HS - [I was nervous they would ask me about leadership roles in clubs and surprisingly most schools were okay with the fact that I was president for something way back in high school and did not have any important in college....]

LORs:
- Endocrinology Professor
- Drawing I Professor
- 2 Vets at Work

Personal Statement & Interviews:
- I think this is one of the things that probably saved my application, haha. Like everyone says, speak honestly from the heart. I don't know how to summarize it in a small paragraph but I wrote about my Vietnamese and artistic background and how artistic interest in animals turned into a more scientific interest. As far as interviews, I thought I bombed my first interview, which was at Mizzou, because I was so nervous. I mean, they laughed and it felt okay but I didn't know the answer to one question...I had the weirdest wording but I guess my jokes were charming. Heh. After that, I just CHILLED out. Like really. Realize that they aren't there to attack you but they already like you and want to get to know you better. I had the coolest interview panel at Kansas, it was probably my best interview. I think Tuskegee was my worst...solely because of the crazily specific hypothetical situation questions.

Okay well done with my rant. CONGRATS C/O 2017! I wish I knew where I was going heh

Very well, I've waited long enough so I'll contribute now...

First time applicant, male, 21 years old

Schools
Applied: Texas A&M (IS), Kansas State, Georgia, Oklahoma State, VMRCVM
Interviewed: Texas A&M (IS), Kansas State, VMRCVM
Waitlisted: Georiga
Accepted: Texas A&M (IS), Kansas State, VMRCVM, Oklahoma State
Attending: Undecided...

Academics
Studying Biomedical Sciences, no degree will be conferred
Cumulative GPA: 3.78
Last 45 GPA: 3.69
Science GPA: 3.69
GRE: V: 158 (77%), Q: 157 (71%), W: 4.5 (73%)

Veterinary Experience
200 hours at Veterinary Diagnostic Lab (paid employee in molecular genetics department)
400 hours at SA clinic (paid)
50 hours at Equine clinic (unpaid)
I discussed the research I'm currently doing under a DVM at my K-state interview, but it was not on my VMCAS

Animal Experience
Conservation work with exotic animals in Ecuador, 70 hours
Dog kennel work, 130 hours
Zoo volunteer, 50 hours
Nature center animal caretaker, 70 hours

Community Activities
Pre-vet club member
Co-founder and executive officer of Veterinarians Without Borders student group
Other non-veterinary volunteer activities

Honors and Awards
High school honor roll
High school success scholar and distinguished achievement graduate
AP scholar with distinction

LORs
Small animal GP (supervisor at my clinic job)
Supervisor at vet diagnostic lab
Professor in the college of veterinary medicine

Personal Statement
I talked about how I became interested in disease and pathology, particularly zoonotic diseases, and how I want to apply the knowledge of a DVM to international medicine (and possibly research) to make a larger impact on public health than a standard clinician. These personal goals tie in with the goals of my student organization (and the national chapter it is associated with) and I discussed that as well.

Kind of embarassed to post this due to the stupid number of schools I applied to (I was sure I wouldn't get in anywhere) and how lucky I am to have 3 different in states, but, um, judgement free zone?

Would definitely advise against applying to more than 10 schools, because I ended up declining most of my interviews, so learn from me! On the other hand, knowing that I was already going somewhere by December definitely took off some of the stress and helped me interview better at schools I really liked.

21 year old female, first time applicant, California/Texas/British Columbia resident

Schools

Applied: UC Davis, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Upenn, Western (in CA), Uillinois, Oklahoma, Ohio, Cornell, RVC, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Colorado, Texas A&M, WCVM
Rejected: UC Davis, Cornell, Colorado, Upenn
Interviewed: Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota (declined), Mississippi (declined), Western (declined), Uillinois (declined), RVC (declined), Glasgow (declined), Texas A&M
Waitlisted: Iowa
Accepted: Purdue, Michigan (no interview), Oklahoma (no interview), Ohio, Edinburgh (no interview), Texas A&M
Still waiting: WCVM
Attending: Texas A&M or WCVM?

Academics
B.S. Bioengineering
Cumulative GPA: 3.5 ish
Last 45 GPA: 3.5 ish
Science GPA: 3.5 ish
GRE: V: 162 (90%), Q: 165 (93%), W: 5.5 (96%)

Veterinary Experience
120 hours shadowing at various VMTH departments
320 hours primate research
25+ canine orthopedic research (at time of application)

Animal Experience

100 hours evolutionary insect research
160 hours horse/goat/chicken/sheep ranch
120 hours raptor center
179 hours student assistant cat colony

Community Activities
Pre-Vet Club, Webmaster
Bioengineering Club, Vice President
Biomimicry Team, Team Captain
Photography Club, Member

Honors and Awards
Deans list some quarters
Undergrad Scholarships
National Merit Semifinalist (high school)
Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)

LORs
PI of the primate lab
PI of the canine orthopedic lab
Engineering professor
Ranch Owner

Personal Statement

I talked about how I felt like engineering helped me better understand things in veterinary medicine. For example, understanding fluid mechanics was useful in my cardiology internship. Talked about my developing interest in lab animal medicine from the points of view as a researcher, animal caretaker and aspiring clinician.

Last edited:
If you get an interview and are successful at WCVM, would you be likely to attend? Just curious. :)

I'm definitely liking the tuition at WCVM, and am leaning towards going if I get in. However, I haven't really done a ton of research on WCVM, and probably won't unless I actually get an interview, so I don't have a very strong opinion right now. I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

I think my GRE scores were what saved me in my US schools, and since WCVM doesn't look at that... I guess we'll see. :X

I'm definitely liking the tuition at WCVM, and am leaning towards going if I get in. However, I haven't really done a ton of research on WCVM, and probably won't unless I actually get an interview, so I don't have a very strong opinion right now. I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

I think my GRE scores were what saved me in my US schools, and since WCVM doesn't look at that... I guess we'll see. :X

Yeah, the tuition is pretty awesome. :D You have good stats, I don't think you need to worry too much. :thumbup: Hopefully they'll send out 1st round interview invites soon! :luck: :xf:

like jestry, i applied to a LOT of schools...figured i'd rather apply to more this cycle than be applying again next year.

25 year old female, second time applicant (non-traditional), NC/DC resident

Schools:

Applied: Auburn, UC Davis, Colorado State, Cornell, Illinois, Iowa State, Minnesota, NC State, Ohio State, UPenn, Purdue, Tufts, VMRCVM, Wisconsin, RVC, Glasgow, Edinburgh

Rejected (schools that don't interview): Colorado State, Cornell, NC State
Rejected w/out interview: UPenn, VMRCVM
Interviews: Auburn (declined), UC Davis, Illinois (declined), Iowa State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue, Tufts, RVC (declined), Glasgow (declined)
Rejected after interview: UC Davis
Withdrawn: Auburn, Illinois, RVC, Edinburgh, Glasgow
Waitlisted: Iowa State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Accepted: Minnesota, Ohio State, Tufts
Attending: Ohio State!

Academics:

this section depends on whether the school included my law school semester transcript, that covered a semester where I was extremely ill and hospitalized. some schools did include it, some did not, so i'll include both:

CGPA (w/law): 3.53
CGPA (w/out law): 3.68
Last 45 GPA (w/law): 3.26
Last 45 GPA (w/out law): 3.80
Required GPA (for NC State): 3.66

GRE: Verbal was 690 (97%), Quantitative was 800 (94%), Writing was 5.0 (84%)

Vet Experience:

50 hours, assistant at SA radiology specialty
510 hours, assistant at SA ophthalmology specialty
417 hours, assistant at feline only general practice
277 hours, intern at aquarium vet
357 hours, intern at national zoo (research category)

Animal Experience

25 hours, volunteer at national zoo's think tank
83 hours, kennel assistant
400 hours, Duke Equestrian Team
850 hours, hermit crab rehabilitation

Community Activities

Chemistry Outreach program in undergrad (chem demonstrations, tutorials for elementary schools and fairs)
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Hermit Crab Association

LORs

Biochem Professor
Ophthalmologist i worked for
Aquarist i worked with
Zoo keeper i worked with

First time applicant, female 19

Schools
Applied: Texas A&M
Interviewed: Texas A&M
Waitlisted:
Accepted: Texas A&M
Attending: Texas A&M c/o 2017!!!!!! ;)

Academics
Degree: Biomedical Sciences will get degree in August
Cumulative GPA: 4.00
Last 45 GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
GRE: V: 166 (96%), Q: 164 (90%), W: 4.0 (50%)

Veterinary Experience
250 hours at a small animal clinic
100 hours at exotic clinic
50 hours equine research
Animal Experience
Zoo Research/Conservation Intern: 350 Hours
Dog kennel work, 80 hours
Shelter Volunteer: 50 Hours

Community Activities
Pre-Vet club member
BSA Member

LORs
Equine Veterinarian I worked for during my research at TAMU large animal hospital
Zoo Supervisor
Small Animal Veterinarian

I have been putting off my post on this thread, and I especially don't want to follow britishaggie's flawless stats, but I promised myself that if I ever had the extreme fortune of being accepted I would post my stats for those in similar situations. I know these threads were helpful to me, so hopefully I can do that for future applicants. So, here goes nothing.....

22 year old female, first time applicant, NY resident

Schools

Applied: University of California, Davis, Colorado State University, Cornell University, Mississippi State University, Oregon State University, University of Pennsylvania, Purdue University, University of Wisconsin, University of Guelph-Ontario Veterinary College, University of PEI-Atlantic Veterinary College
Rejected: University of California, Davis, Colorado State University, Cornell University, Mississippi State University, Oregon State University, University of Pennsylvania, Purdue University, University of Wisconsin, University of Guelph-Ontario Veterinary College
Interviewed: AVC
Waitlisted: none
Accepted: AVC
Still waiting: none
Attending: AVC!

Academics
B.S. Biology, and Animal Behavior, Ecology, & Conservation
Minors: Zoo Biology, Anthrozoology
Cumulative GPA: 2.97 :eek:
Last 45 GPA: 3.6 or so
Science GPA: depends which classes you look at
GRE: V: 157 (73%), Q: 151 (48%), W: 4 (49%)

Veterinary Experience
2000 hours as a veterinary assistant in a small animal/exotic practice, some under a Board Certified Avian Specialist
3000 hours as a veterinary assistant in a dog/cat practice
These were accumulated concurrently during undergrad

Animal Experience

Designed animal enrichment for dogs and cats at the SPCA, and animals at the Buffalo Zoo
Built a mini zoo on campus and received animals on loan from the zoo
Behavioral training using positive reinforcement in rats, cats, and dogs
2 semesters of behavioral research on captive orcas and belugas
Behavioral/ethological studies on rats
Misc equine experience, my only large animal experience.
Dog bather at PetSmart

I did not include pet ownership here.

Community Activities
Zoological Society
Club Volleyball
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Future Farmers of America, Small Animal Science

Honors and Awards
National Technical Honor Society (Small Animal Science)
Student of the Month (Small Animal Science)
Academic Scholarship
Chamber of Commerce Award
NYS All Star Women's Rugby
3rd Place NYS Women's Volleyball Championship

LORs
DVM, Avian Specialist
DVM
DVM
I did not submit LORS from professors or advisors

Personal Statement

It was a work in progress in my head for a long time. For a very long time, it was random sentence fragments in a Word doc. I put it off as long as I could. I sat down and wrote it in one sitting, and knew right away that I would never feel comfortable with someone reading it. I slept on it, edited it once, and submitted it. I read it a few months ago and hated it, read it a few days ago and was really happy with it. I still don't know if I would consider sharing it, even after being accepted.
I opened it with lay people's reaction to my decision to go to vet school, because I felt that it would show that my desire was more than to pet puppies and kittens all day. I talked about the reasons why people told me I wouldn't get in or shouldn't go, because I thought it would show that I understood the complexities of the profession, the monumental debt I was going into etc. Finally, I talked about the uncertain future of the profession, because I wanted to show that I was with the current times. I covered a lot of depressing things (the difficulty of getting accepted, the debt, euthanasia, and lower pay, declining vet visits, etc) but somehow I managed to put a positive spin on it :) I really tried to draw from my Anthrozoology manor, because I thought it would make me stand out as someone who had formally studied the human-animal bond.

General Comments
I did not apply during my final year in undergrad. I took off a year after undergrad because I wanted to save up money to apply to a lot of schools. In retrospect, I should have still applied to my instate, if only for the experience and practice.
This cycle I applied to basically every school that had academic standards that I met. In hindsight, I could have eliminated some and been a little smarter, but I wanted to apply to as many schools as I could afford to. I was prepared for a lot of rejections. I was prepared to apply to a Masters program and try again next round. I was prepared to have to apply the year after that too.
I was resentful of my advisors who warned me that my chances were slim. So I didn't ask them for VMCA LORs, but I should have. I'm sure that hurt me for some schools.
I realize that I was incredibly lucky to get accepted the first time around. Let that to be proof for everyone with a low GPA that it can be done! I don't have a specific reason, other than I had a hard time adjusting to college, and I worked anywhere from 20 to 40 hours a week, taking at least 16 credit hours a semester. I think what saved me was a strong upward trend in my GPA. There was one dip, which can be directly correlated with working 40 hours a week that year. My interview was what clinched my seat. I just knew that I had made a great impression.
So, my advice would be to focus on the highest grades you can get. If they aren't as stellar as you would like, focus on beefing up another part of your app, for me it was the experience. You cant be the perfect applicant for every school, so don't try to be. Also, use those "subjective" parts of your app, like the personal statement, to really sell yourself and make yourself stand out. If you get interviews, prepare for them like your life depends on it, and then rock them. And be prepared for rejections. I got a lot. But, it only takes ONE acceptance. :D

Feel free to PM me with questions or for details.

Congrats Too:love: ... So excited for you!!!

Academics
B.S. Biology, and Animal Behavior, Ecology, & Conservation
Minors: Zoo Biology, Anthrozoology

:love: Anthrozoology :love:

You sound like you have some really awesome experiences, congratulations on your acceptance! :D

Thanks everyone :D :love:

BlackDog, I can't wait to be classmates either!

So jealous of you getting to do behavioral research on orcas. They're my favorite animal if you couldn't tell.

:thumbup: I love whales! There is a whale expert at AVC I've been told, more into the evolution rather than behavior but anything to do with whales = :love: