Successful applicants with "low" GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheltermed

omg idk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about successful vet applicants who were on the low side of the GPA spectrum (I guess 3.3-3.4 or lower?) - what made your application stand out? Do you know why (or can you guess why) your GPA may have been overlooked?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I had a GPA of about 3.48 ish which I guess rounds to 3.5. I was accepted to Cornell. I think my GPA was looked at with a few considerations--1. I went to a top 20 undergrad school so the courses could be viewed as more rigorous. 2. I double majored. 3. very strong gre scores 4. Good amount of animal experience. Worked part time as vet assistant for a year and shadowed in various areas 5. Generally well rounded with activities although no big leadership positions (played sports competitively until early college)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two interviews with an overall of 3.4. I had small animal experience, leadership positions, and worked extensively at an animal shelter in both work with the animals and administrative positions. I wouldn't be too worried--a few schools consider 3.4 to be competitive.

Here's mine from last year. I was In-state for NCSU, and OOS for everyone else
First time applicant, double major biology / poultry science at NCSU.

Applied: NCSU, Ohio, Missouri, Arizona, Tuskegee
Interview: Ohio, Missouri, Arizona, Tuskegee
Rejected: NCSU
Accepted: Ohio, Missouri, Arizona, Tuskegee

Overall GPA: 3.3 (a very low 3.3)
Science GPA: 3.4?

GRE (Q/V): 148/151

Veterinary Experience:
100 hours avian only clinic
500 hours SA paid
500 hours equine/food/rural medicine
300 hours rural SA / some exotics
50 hours pre-vet trip in Latin America

Animal Experience:
50 hours SA/FA/Equine teaching High School kids
80 hours therapeutic horse riding lessons (I just assisted and helped take care of the horses)
50 hours turtle rehab
80 Food Animal and teaching/presenting to the public about agriculture myths
300 hours Beekeeping (4 hives over lots of years)
3,000 hours "farm" (mainly pigs/chickens) very low estimate of just my high school years / summers

Research Experience:
300 hours swine research

Non-Animal Employment:
-TA for upper-division science course

Extracurricular Activities/Awards:
3 "small" scholarships
Dean's List (2 semesters? idk I'm not very impressive.)
Regional Speech Winner / Went to State level in High School (it was a big deal then, iunno. It was in persuasive / controversial speeches. I won money?)
Coed Fraternity--very active, multiple positions/officer
Worked at the county fair in HS, State fair in college. Both agriculture booths
Some other random high school stuff

eLORs:
One from research, Ph.D.
One from rural vet
One from academic advisor

Personal Statement:
I started off with an "attention grabbing" detail story of a really labor-intensive farm call and ended with an internal dialogue / realization of what I believed veterinary medicine really is a combination of "1, 2, 3." Went to explain how I have been faced with multiple scenarios where I have had "1, 2,3" and also when I've seen veterinarians faced with situations and they've had to respond with "1,2,3."

I personally loved my personal statement, I just described it extremely vague on purpose.

What I believe set me apart was my vast experience. Every interview straight up asked:
GPA:
"What happened during X semester?"
"What was your grade in physics? What did you learn from that?" (Lol that I don't understand physics, obviously)
"Vet school is rigorous.. how do you plan on tackling it?"

They knew I struggled in multiple semesters and made it clear it could be a potential risk for them. I explained honestly what I learned and how I became better at seeking help from professors, tutors, etc.

BUT every school was also very interested in my research experience. I was asked that every interview. I also believe my personal statement was strong enough to catch their interest. I was able to "capture" what I believed a good veterinarian is, and how I had the "foundation" to build on. or something like that.

I believe it really depends on what schools you apply to. My chances at NCSU were lower (they love their GPAs). I knew that. But some schools weigh GPA less if you have other things they're interested in.

So when it's your turn: "Play smarter not harder"

Reactions: 1 users
I've not actually received any acceptances yet, but I've been invited to interview at 3/4 of the schools I've applied to thus far (and that 4th is guaranteed for IS students, so I guess technically I'm 4/4) and was recently waitlisted at one of those schools with a cumulative GPA of 3.21. That being said, my science GPA is quite a bit higher (3.4-3.7 depending on the school and which classes they factor into that), as well as my last 45 hours GPA, which is right around 3.5-3.6 range. My GRE scores were also slightly above average, and I've got ~2000 total hours of vet experience in multiple areas. I do have several hundred hours of research experience, as well. Academics are important, yes, but don't underestimate the significance of your experiences, recommendations, and personal statement, either. If your lower grades were in the non-sciences and/or are older, as was the case for me, I think you've got a much better chance than someone who consistently struggled in the pre-reqs.

A lower GPA absolutely does not mean that you have no chance for vet school; you may just have to be more selective and smart about where you apply. For example, if I had been OOS for Mizzou rather than IS, I would never have applied because they have one of the highest average accepted cumulative GPAs of all US schools, and it would've been a huge long-shot for me.

Good luck!

My cumulative GPA was a 3.12ish. I've been accepted this year for Class of 2020 and have three interviews still.

Things that I think significantly helped (if I had to guess):
1) Having a high last 45 and applying to schools that value that
2) Having a competitive GRE
3) Research experience and in depth veterinary experience

I'll say that because of my low GPA I held off applying for a good year to make my application the best I could make it. I also consulted those in admissions at multiple schools for their opinions. Interestingly, I didn't get into either of the schools for which I solicited advice from, but in part due to their strong recommendations and honest critique each year, I think I was able to succeed this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to the Vet Prep semester at Ross with a GPA of 2.68 :) :) Yeah, you read that right. Got average GRE scores, have 4.5k+ vet experience and explained my lack of motivation to do better than C's/B's in undergrad, and since I've been out of school since 2008 I'm a different person.

Also interviewed for SGU and was accepted for their similar semester program but it went to Jan start class which I couldn't do. Waiting for them to accept my deferral to fall, in which case I'll go there :)

Totally doable with a **** GPA! Proves they do look at more than just the numbers and I couldn't be happier to be given a chance to prove myself.

Edit: forgot to add I took two classes recently for an A and a B and raised my GPA to 2.71 (it's early and no coffee sorry lol)

A lower GPA absolutely does not mean that you have no chance for vet school; you may just have to be more selective and smart about where you apply.

I think this is a great take away and it echoes my personal experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I had originally planned to do a Master's before applying, because many of the people I talked to were certain that I wouldn't get in anywhere, or even be looked it, because of my GPA. But together, my mentor and I thought that I would just go for it anyways, and plan for reapplying next year if it just doesn't pan out. My cumulative GPA is 3.18, an my science and last 45 are around 3.2, so across the board my GPA is much lower than average.

I applied to nine schools. So far, I have been accepted to one school, alternate for another, and have 4 more interviews to go to/hear back from. Of course, I was denied by the schools that place a big emphasis on GPA, but that's expected.
I think that what made my application stand out is:
1) Above average GRE score, after only taking it once. (Q/V/A: 160, 159, 4.5)
2) Unique interests, that played a big part in the type of experiences I have and my personal statement (I want to do research in comparative oncology.)
3) Unique experiences, some of which are through very selective programs.
4) Involvement/leadership in a paddling sport that few people know about.

I don't have a high GPA. I don't have experience hours that number in the thousands. I don't have any large animal experience. I have never worked as a veterinary technician. But despite that, admissions committees still saw something in me that was at least worth an interview, and I am so grateful. I plan on posting more specifics into the "Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2020" once I finish with interviews and decide where I am going.

It's not going to be easy by any stretch of the word, and there are so many things you need to do to stand out in spite of your GPA. But it definitely can be done!

Reactions: 4 users
I've not actually received any acceptances yet, but I've been invited to interview at 3/4 of the schools I've applied to thus far (and that 4th is guaranteed for IS students, so I guess technically I'm 4/4) and was recently waitlisted at one of those schools with a cumulative GPA of 3.21. That being said, my science GPA is quite a bit higher (3.4-3.7 depending on the school and which classes they factor into that), as well as my last 45 hours GPA, which is right around 3.5-3.6 range. My GRE scores were also slightly above average, and I've got ~2000 total hours of vet experience in multiple areas. I do have several hundred hours of research experience, as well. Academics are important, yes, but don't underestimate the significance of your experiences, recommendations, and personal statement, either. If your lower grades were in the non-sciences and/or are older, as was the case for me, I think you've got a much better chance than someone who consistently struggled in the pre-reqs.

A lower GPA absolutely does not mean that you have no chance for vet school; you may just have to be more selective and smart about where you apply. For example, if I had been OOS for Mizzou rather than IS, I would never have applied because they have one of the highest average accepted cumulative GPAs of all US schools, and it would've been a huge long-shot for me.

Good luck!

:laugh: I never realized Mizzou had a higher cumulative GPA average. It explains why they asked me multiple times in my interview about it. But they must have liked something about me because I'm here. :)

:laugh: I never realized Mizzou had a higher cumulative GPA average. It explains why they asked me multiple times in my interview about it. But they must have liked something about me because I'm here. :)
Yep! But that's also the nature of an average, as well; there's going to be some people quite a bit above and some quite a bit below. But Mizzou does have one of the highest averages for cumulative GPA (I think they're only behind NCSU?). Clearly something about your application really caught their eye! ;)

I'm just super worried about my chances at the school, is all.

Academics are important, yes, but don't underestimate the significance of your experiences, recommendations, and personal statement, either.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate hearing your stories - especially this, it's definitely encouraging - I've been discrediting myself so much due to my not-so-stellar GPA, but I have thousands of hours of great experiences to show for on my application as well.

If you used the forum search function you can find some similar threads on the topic.

I used the search function. Err sorry/not sorry for posting a new thread on this - I was looking for something a bit more current and not confined to a specific school. Successful applicants thread for this year is limited. If I found something that closely matched what I was looking for, I would not have posted this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted on my first try with a cumGPA of 2.80, I had over 10000hrs of clinical experience. Now you wouldn't be able to tell me from the ones accepted with much higher GPA in my class. I have been doing pretty good in classes and there have been a few in our class that have failed out that were accepted with high GPAs. GPA is not everything IMO. Here is the link to my acceptance post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ts-class-of-2018.1044809/page-2#post-14933955

I guess it depends on why your grades aren't so strong. If you haven't figured out how to study or manage your time and that's why you have poor grades, you're going to struggle in school. All the wonderful well-roundedness isn't going to help with the first three years if you can't pass the courses.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. It's great to hear the stories behind the stats, and there will be new stories to tell every application cycle. So, I'm glad you started this thread @sheltermed!

Reactions: 2 users
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. It's great to hear the stories behind the stats, and there will be new stories to tell every application cycle. So, I'm glad you started this thread @sheltermed!

That's why we have successful applicants stats thread for every single year. No need for a new thread.
If you used the forum search function you can find some similar threads on the topic.

Accepted with a low GPA...?
Ohio State with low GPA?
low Gpa; too late to apply for vet school???
Low GPA successful applicants?

In addition you can leaf through the annual "Successful Applicants" threads where people post their stats. There are several people every year with low GPAs that you could look at.

Class of 2020
Class of 2019
Class of 2018
Class of 2017
Class of 2016
Class of 2015

This post even has links to all those threads over the past few years.

I guess it depends on why your grades aren't so strong. If you haven't figured out how to study or manage your time and that's why you have poor grades, you're going to struggle in school. All the wonderful well-roundedness isn't going to help with the first three years if you can't pass the courses.

More like a death in my immediate family and some health issues.

Last edited:
More like a death in my immediate family and some health issues :).

I think that's legitimate and respectable. Sorry for your loss and I hope you're feeling better these days.

There was a thread a little while back about the explanation statement; just take some of that advice when you fill out your VMCAS. You got this. :highfive:

I think that's legitimate and respectable. Sorry for your loss and I hope you're feeling better these days.

There was a thread a little while back about the explanation statement; just take some of that advice when you fill out your VMCAS. You got this. :highfive:
Does loss of a pet count? I got straight A's and B's up until last semester when my kitty got really sick. I took care of her and spent all my time with her and ended up with horrific grades that I'm making up for now.

Does loss of a pet count? I got straight A's and B's up until last semester when my kitty got really sick. I took care of her and spent all my time with her and ended up with horrific grades that I'm making up for now.

I think it counts as far as it affected you. If your cat's illness affected you to the point of slipping grades, you could incorporate that into your explanation statement. And ideally show this semester you're resilient and have rebounded completely. This will help your explanation.

I personally think if you follow the advice of others in how to write a successful explanation statement, it wouldn't hurt you to mention it.

My story might be a little different. I got really sick my last semester I pretty much tanked my overall GPA, Last 45 and Science GPA (I think everything was around 3.2ish. I applied 2 times and got rejected everywhere I applied, not even interviews. So I decided to pursue a masters and get a lot more experience in different fields. I applied this time around. I have 10,000+ hrs of clinical experience in small, equine, food animals, exotic , zoo.
5,000 + hrs of research
And 6,000 of animal experience.
GRE: m: 152, v:152 w: 4.0
And I got 3 interviews so far and already acepted into one school.
This was my last try and it finally happened for me. So definitely don't give up! Just try to improve as much as you can.

Last edited:
Yea I didnt have a sob story. My first couple years college right out of high school were bad just because I was dicking around. I just took responsibility and went on from there.

My first couple years college right out of high school were bad just because I was dicking around. I just took responsibility and went on from there.

I feel like that's totally understandable though. I was by no means ready to go to college when I was 18. High school had barely prepared me. I went away to school and left before the first semester ended and didn't start back up again until the following year. I was just too young, I feel - and I'm sure many students have felt that way in retrospect as well.

@Temerairegrl - how was your experience prior to your MPH?

I hope it does. My kitty is 18 with chronic kidney disease and presumed GI cancer (haven't pursued a definitive diagnosis), and I have a feeling I'll be in this boat sooner rather than later. :(