Successful Premeds at UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilGuy215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got accepted to UCLA but now I am more confused than ever on where I want to go for college. I am torn between UCI and UCLA due to both their academia. I really want to attend UCLA; however, I feel that I might have lucked out in getting accepted. I am not 100% confident if I am ready for the challenges and rigor the classes will have for me or whether I'll even survive! I know that UCLA is already competitive enough to get into and there will be many intelligent students to walk the earth. Becoming a doctor has been a big goal for me ever since I was 10 and I am willing to give up so many things to obtain it—even UCLA. People have been telling me that if I got accepted, then there is a reason why the admins chose me. I am completely in love with the campus and the people but I am so concerned on whether ill float or sink in college. Will I receive any help if I am struggling in my classes (tutoring, professors, etc)? This decision will change the course of my life for the next 4 years and I need as much advice and help I can get. Can any current or past alumni from LA provide insight on their undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN and congrats for getting into UCLA!

I have not attended UCLA, but the chances are, I am certain there are many others in need of similar help for classes. Don't be discouraged when you happen to struggle. I would go to UCLA and figure out things as you go. You are accepted for a reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to UCLA and don't think twice about it. Any higher institution you attend will be both rigorous and academically challenging. This is exactly what you want as it will only serve to enhance your intellectual prowess. With that being said, UCLA was my dream school from the day I knew I wanted to go to college. Unfortunately, I was not accepted but ended up going to UCSD - an amazing institution in its own regard. My GPA was a pristine 4.4, but my average SAT probably served as the deciding factor. Do me a favor and do not doubt your abilities especially because you earned it AND you seem to have already developed a strong rapport with the school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The only way I'd choose UCI is if they were offering a generous grant in aid package or going there would be more convenient for whatever reason for you and your family

I went to a lower tier UC and then transferred to UCLA. Go to UCLA and do not think twice. It;s a blast and it isn't terribly more challenging. The classes are identical except the curve is a bit higher, but you will be fine at either school. Both will be challenging. I do not regret my decision to transfer at all and loved my time at UCLA so much that I might choose to stay for 4 more years.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/basketball-men/d1
What's that? No UCI Division I basketball at the NCAA championships? 1 point for UCLA

hqdefault.jpg

1 more point for UCLA

group-dance.jpg

+100 points for UCLA

0 UCI, 102 UCLA

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you're planning to major in. I'd go to UCI only if you want to get a business degree. If you want anything else go to UCLA. The science classes aren't hard. They split them up according what type of science major you are (life science, bio chem, engineering). If you're worried about the science then be a bio major and take the 14 series chem and 6 series physics. Trust me it's not that hard to do well, you just need to manage your time well and stay on top of things. Besides just because something is hard doesn't mean you should avoid it. If you think you're going to have a tough time at UCLA as an undergrad, think of how hard it'll be in med school. Might as well start learning to be a better student now than later. You'll probably need a quarter or two to catch up with the level of competition, but other than that you'll probably be fine. The school also has free tutoring for URMs, professors have office hours, and you can always form study groups with other students or pay for a tutor. I've never needed extra help though so I don't know too much about where you can get additional help with classes.

Do UCI. I had the choice between Berkeley, ucla and Davis. I chose Davis because it was still a great school and I would be able to learn more and not get as shutdown by competition and stress. Your grades are super important as is your quality of life. Where you go as undergrad doesn't matter as long as it is a decent school.

Hello everyone! I just got accepted to UCLA but now I am more confused than ever on where I want to go for college. I am torn between UCI and UCLA due to both their academia. I really want to attend UCLA; however, I feel that I might have lucked out in getting accepted. I am not 100% confident if I am ready for the challenges and rigor the classes will have for me or whether I'll even survive! I know that UCLA is already competitive enough to get into and there will be many intelligent students to walk the earth. Becoming a doctor has been a big goal for me ever since I was 10 and I am willing to give up so many things to obtain it—even UCLA. People have been telling me that if I got accepted, then there is a reason why the admins chose me. I am completely in love with the campus and the people but I am so concerned on whether ill float or sink in college. Will I receive any help if I am struggling in my classes (tutoring, professors, etc)? This decision will change the course of my life for the next 4 years and I need as much advice and help I can get. Can any current or past alumni from LA provide insight on their undergrad?

In all honestly, I felt like UCLA was pretty competitive. With so many freakin' pre-meds in our school, sometimes I felt like had to study harder than ever for some exams to get those coveted grades, though it wasn't impossible. I must say though, you should prepare to study a lot if you decide to go to UCLA. I went to a pretty good high school, did okay, and I saw the competition to be a lot more fierce and was truthfully, harder than what I expected coming to college. A typical grade distribution for your lower division pre-med preq classes like LS (bio) series, general chem set the cruve to about 15%~20% of the class receiving A-s and As, median set to B-. Physics (6 series, DEFINITELY NOT 1 SERIES for engineers) is a lot more lenient, upwards up to 30-35% A and A-s, depending if you luck out on getting an easy professor. O-chem, though most people say is particularly difficult in material and the amount of time you have to spend studying, is pretty lenient on the grading I'd say. In the end, those who want to be doctors will show, and those that study hard are usually the real pre-meds. Though competition may be fierce, it's because so many people will think they want to be doctors in the beginning. In an intro bio class of like 300 people it seems like almost everyone is pre-med as a freshman, but that number dwindles fast when people see that the effort to get an A isn't worth it. You just have to be the one who puts in the extra studying. In the end, those who want to be doctors will show, and some people will just be okay being average. The average GPA is 3.2-3.3, but then again the average student at UCLA by the time they graduate does not want to pursue medical school.

My GPA wasn't great--I struggled my first year at UCLA, but learning to adjust my study habits and good time management skills helped me achieve a strong upward trend. Keep in mind though, UCLA is not one of those schools that will spoon-feed you and make sure you're doing things right if you're struggling; you're going to have to make the effort to talk to TAs, go to office hours, seek out tutoring, but the opportunities are definitely there!

Looking back, there are times where I considered going to a different/easier school had I known I wanted to be a doctor, but I really don't know if going to UCI will be that much different in terms of competitiveness in pre-med classes (I'd say the difference is more significant between UCR and UCLA, from my transfer friends tell me), and even if it was easier, I don't know if it would have been significant enough to trade all the good times I had at UCLA. Sure going to UCI may have been easier, but I was able to grow as a person, meet so many amazing people at UCLA, and be a part of some amazing organizations....that I don't regret going there at all despite my sub-par GPA. Besides being in an amazing location with great school spirit/sports history, I'm not sure about UCI's opportunities, I think one of UCLA's strengths is the amount of opportunities for pre-meds being such a big pre-med school, which was nice! Having the UCLA medical centers nearby were beneficial, research opportunities plentiful, etc.

Long story short, I think you should go to UCLA. I think you can get the same grades going to UCLA and UCI... you're just going to have to study harder. And if it's harder, it'll teach you to adapt and work hard. Work hard and play hard! Don't know about you, but I'd rather have good grades having had to adjust my study habits and really having made sure I as on top of things, rather than have good grades simply from going to an easier school.

Last edited:
Go to an easier school. I'm currently here at UCLA and while I'm doing well it's certainly not as easy as I thought it would be. 90% of the kids coming in premed won't make it. This number isn't meant to discourage as much as it is telling you to be real about your goals. Every kid here and their mother wants to go to medicine, but virtually nobody understands the work required to get past the first few hurdles. If you want this bad enough and if you want LA, then by all means go for it but don't expect sunshine and roses.

group-dance.jpg

+100 points for UCLA

The girls in class don't look like this, bro.

UCLA is a great school, but you'll be working harder there for the same grade. This is a good thing, IMO.

What are you majoring in?

The girls in class don't look like this, bro.

UCLA is a great school, but you'll be working harder there for the same grade. This is a good thing, IMO.

What are you majoring in?

I don't go there brah

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to UCLA and work hard to love what you do. If you're going to med school, you're going to need to work harder later anyways.

Most competitive schools are "hard" and you have to work hard for medicine wherever you go. If you have the capability to get a 3.8/35 MCAT/publications etc you will do well at any school. I think you should pick the school based on the support systems and research opportunities.

There may be slight differences between the schools but I doubt it's going to be a cakewalk at UCI vs. UCLA.

Last thing. Don't get bugged out by "UCLA". You got into UCLA! You belong there. So amazing. Own the fact that you will have to bust you butt in your coursework and keep it moving.

Congrats!

I went to UCLA. While I loved every minute of it, it was HARD. My earlier schooling didn't prepare me for it and it was a huge wake up call. Be prepared to study all the time, especially if you choose a south campus major (anything science). I wasn't pre-medical when I went there, so didn't really take many of those classes (except behavioral neuroscience -LOVED it). Be prepared to work to get to know your professors. A lot of it is the TA's. There are multiple research opportunities, that's for sure. I got into most of the UC's, and am so glad that I chose LA. Best school hands down.

If you can handle UCLA and the quarter system, i would assume it would make med school a little more doable, just with the rigor itself. Congrats!! Bruins always!

I'm a medical student from UCLA who graduated with a hard science degree. Honestly there's not going to be much difference in class rigor since both UCI and UCLA will be filled to the gills with premeds. I enjoyed UCLA except for every single part of being a premed. If I had known at your age I *only* wanted to become a doctor, I would've gone to USC or any other private school. I turned down Berkeley for UCLA using your logic and it might have helped marginally for grades but ultimately the biggest "gain" would be going to a private four year university.

Here's the ugly truth about the UCs. They are just decimated by budget cuts so admin staff is low and class sizes are huge. Why would this be an issue? You're not babied. Get a number. I mean every LOR, every class selection, every grade improvement, every EC is all your own responsibility and then sometimes the system works against you. It's impossible for professors to remember you and for you to stand out. In your core science classes, you're in line behind twenty people each quarter begging and brown nosing every office hour for a letter of recommendation. Every clinic volunteer opportunity was a series of interviews and an essay application since there were half a dozen spots for sixty people. Oh and the ruthless premeds who will move textbooks around in the library or mess up your product after a four hour lab---you will meet only one if you're lucky. There is no real pre-med advisor. There is no real support. It's the real world-brutal, uncaring and cold.

If you think you're okay with being told no a dozen times before a yes occurs and being self directed then go for it. I'm a much stronger individual overall for the experience but in no way was going to UCLA helpful for my admittance in medical school. I had to score a 37 on the MCATS to make up for my GPA since there's little to no grade inflation for science classes. I would say I was accepted despite attending UCLA. Some of my classmates from UCLA had to take a few years and cycles to get in. My classmates in medical schoolrange from top tens to schools I have never heard of. It doesn't matter which undergrad was attended, we're still going to be doctors.

Outside of the context of being a premed, I loved my time at UCLA, got a great education, learned how to surf, and have made life long friends and memories that I cherish. If you wander to north campus you will be surrounded by beautiful well dressed people. My friends and I also completed a skiing/surfing/hiking in one day challenge. You really don't get to do that anywhere else.

Reactions: 3 users
The thread title is extremely misleading. There are no successful premeds at UCLA. There is only gloom and doom. The basketball team is its only saving grace...

I'm a medical student from UCLA who graduated with a hard science degree. Honestly there's not going to be much difference in class rigor since both UCI and UCLA will be filled to the gills with premeds. I enjoyed UCLA except for every single part of being a premed. If I had known at your age I *only* wanted to become a doctor, I would've gone to USC or any other private school. I turned down Berkeley for UCLA using your logic and it might have helped marginally for grades but ultimately the biggest "gain" would be going to a private four year university.

Here's the ugly truth about the UCs. They are just decimated by budget cuts so admin staff is low and class sizes are huge. Why would this be an issue? You're not babied. Get a number. I mean every LOR, every class selection, every grade improvement, every EC is all your own responsibility and then sometimes the system works against you. It's impossible for professors to remember you and for you to stand out. In your core science classes, you're in line behind twenty people each quarter begging and brown nosing every office hour for a letter of recommendation. Every clinic volunteer opportunity was a series of interviews and an essay application since there were half a dozen spots for sixty people. Oh and the ruthless premeds who will move textbooks around in the library or mess up your product after a four hour lab---you will meet only one if you're lucky. There is no real pre-med advisor. There is no real support. It's the real world-brutal, uncaring and cold.

If you think you're okay with being told no a dozen times before a yes occurs and being self directed then go for it. I'm a much stronger individual overall for the experience but in no way was going to UCLA helpful for my admittance in medical school. I had to score a 37 on the MCATS to make up for my GPA since there's little to no grade inflation for science classes. I would say I was accepted despite attending UCLA. Some of my classmates from UCLA had to take a few years and cycles to get in. My classmates in medical schoolrange from top tens to schools I have never heard of. It doesn't matter which undergrad was attended, we're still going to be doctors.

Outside of the context of being a premed, I loved my time at UCLA, got a great education, learned how to surf, and have made life long friends and memories that I cherish. If you wander to north campus you will be surrounded by beautiful well dressed people. My friends and I also completed a skiing/surfing/hiking in one day challenge. You really don't get to do that anywhere else.

The truth! You'll almost always end up interviewing for every pre-med clinical org you want to join since all of them have limited spots (some of the 'best' orgs take as little as 5 people a quarter out of 100-200 applications)... and you're going to have to navigate your four years with very little guidance, but going through all that crap really does grow you as a person in terms of teaching you to interview well, be proactive, etc.

The thread title is extremely misleading. There are no successful premeds at UCLA. There is only gloom and doom. The basketball team is its only saving grace...

Actually, you're right. I called a Caribbean medical school (St. George's) the other day because I was bored, and they said that UCLA places more people into St. George's class than any other University in the world. Really, though, a lot of people wash out from the premed track at UCLA for whatever reason (not studying 4+ hours a day, mostly).

They started doing "holistic review" of apps at UCLA for admissions how they do at Berkeley, too. The OP might want to look into his stats vs the higher performing UCLA students if he doesn't feel very academically confident. He's going to be competing with all the AP dorks for A's if he goes there and should know what he's getting himself into.

The truth! You'll almost always end up interviewing for every pre-med clinical org you want to join since all of them have limited spots (some of the 'best' orgs take as little as 5 people a quarter out of 100-200 applications)... and you're going to have to navigate your four years with very little guidance, but going through all that crap really does grow you as a person in terms of teaching you to interview well, be proactive, etc.

Thirded. I remember interviewing for the "Stroke Force"... well, 70+ people were interviewing for 3 spots. The joke force is more like it, too... they walk around hospital waiting rooms and ask patients for s&s of impending stroke. My gf at the time couldn't get even find a volunteer spot at any local hospital, either. I'm glad that I didn't need clinical experience.

Last edited:
They've been doing "holistic review" of apps at UCLA for years now since the implementation of prop 209. Many academically unqualified people get admitted every year. UCLA may place more people into St. George's class because they have the most pre meds coming out of there than any other undergrad in the country

I'll have to look into this. I'm on a committee for hiring the next vice provost/dean of undergrad studies at UCD, and one of the candidates said that UCLA started holistic review, recently. They may be considering doing something similar at UCD.

UCLA is also the most applied to school in the country. I wonder how much of a crossover there is between total numbers of apps and total numbers of premeds? As in, what's the ratio? I don't know if premeds choose UCLA so much as we just put a lot of people in the med school app pool, ya know?

That's what I was told by an admissions committee member so idk?

Yeah, I think you're right. Hmm. I wonder what OP is majoring in? We should find out if he is from a medical magnet high school/some expensive charter school or a public school, and what area he's from. My guess is Orange County and a public school.

Last edited:
UCI and UCLA are exactly the same in terms of academic rigor. They often both use the exact same tests and professors move between both colleges all the time. You shouldn't be afraid of competing against "smarter students" at UCLA because all UCs are pretty much exactly the same. You can get a 2.0 in high school, go to a CC, and transfer to UCLA - not that there's anything wrong with this just don't be misled by the fact that UCLA's entering freshman have a 4.3 instead of a 4.0. Please ignore rankings for undergrad because it has almost nothing to do with you (unless you're thinking of pursuing a PhD). Go where you'll be happy and base this decision on environment and feel not "premed rigor" - whatever that even means.

I knew many people who turned down Cal and UCLA for smaller liberal arts colleges because they enjoyed the environment there more, and all of them had very successful application cycles. Maybe even more so because of the fact that they attended class with 30 people instead of 400. Just saying.

If you don't mind what was your GPA?

Actually, you're right. I called a Caribbean medical school (St. George's) the other day because I was bored, and they said that UCLA places more people into St. George's class than any other University in the world. Really, though, a lot of people wash out from the premed track at UCLA for whatever reason (not studying 4+ hours a day, mostly).

They started doing "holistic review" of apps at UCLA for admissions how they do at Berkeley, too. The OP might want to look into his stats vs the higher performing UCLA students if he doesn't feel very academically confident. He's going to be competing with all the AP dorks for A's if he goes there and should know what he's getting himself into.

Thirded. I remember interviewing for the "Stroke Force"... well, 70+ people were interviewing for 3 spots. The joke force is more like it, too... they walk around hospital waiting rooms and ask patients for s&s of impending stroke. My gf at the time couldn't get even find a volunteer spot at any local hospital, either. I'm glad that I didn't need clinical experience.

Yeah to comment on those premed groups "Stroke Team/Force" I put my name down on the online sheet for an interview (200+ interviewed people for probably 2 spots that quarter) and when I showed up to the interview expressing my interest in clinical trials and the "special" opportunities they have to offer, he responded with a bunch of BS that sounded exactly like the description for a typical hospital volunteer. We talk to patients, we get to talk to doctors, Joke Force haha love that

Thank you everyone for your inputs! For those of you who asked, I am majoring in Pyschobiology and my HS GPA I had the time I applied was a 4.24. The general consensus is that I should do go to the school that I will like. Money is no issue for me since I only have to pay 4k out of my own pocket for either schools which I can take out in loans.

Might be biased since I'm a UCLA student myself, but I strongly suggest you go to UCLA. It's an absolutely amazing school and I honestly love every single day that I'm here. No doubt that it is difficult to do well, especially as a pre-med (or engineering, etc.) but as many have pointed out, you will face even more academic challenges once you get into med school. From your post you seem to know that you'd really want to go to UCLA over UCI so it's obvious that you know you'll be happier at the former. Do NOT go to UCI because you think it will be easier--the classes are just as difficult, just the students you're competing with are different. There are two attitudes you can have towards this: 1) complain about how competitive UCLA students are, do nothing about it, and end up getting Bs/Cs or 2) acknowledge that the competition pushes you to be your absolute best, know that you'll be a stronger student because of it, and really feel accomplished when you're getting good grades. The difference between the successful pre-meds at UCLA and those that get burnt out and switch majors is that they go with attitude #2, rise to the challenge, and work hard to make themselves a better student/person.

There is plenty of help if you need it, just seek it EARLY rather than wait till your grades are already suffering. I didn't have a very strong science background coming into UCLA and I had to take intro classes with many brilliant students that got all 5s in all their science APs; but trust me when I say that if you were a strong enough applicant to be accepted here then you'll definitely be able to adjust and hold your own against any other student here, regardless of their prior background. I started off getting Bs in my intro classes but have been getting mostly As for the past year and should be graduating next year with at least a 3.7+ . (Also, don't forget that wherever you go--getting good grades is NOT the only important thing, although it should be close to the most important right after being healthy and sane. I've had a lot of mentors at UCLA and have personally known people that got into Harvard, Yale, WUSTL, etc. med school and they ALL lived very balanced lives at UCLA: juggling science classes, research, volunteering, clubs, jobs, and still partied often and had a great overall college experience)

Go where you'll be happy (UCLA, obviously :p ), work hard, and be proud of your accomplishments. Congrats on getting into both schools, although I hope you end up deciding to be a Bruin. Please don't hesitate to PM me any more questions about pre-med life at UCLA. Good luck with your journey!

Psychobio is considered one of the easier majors (no respect given to those in that major) but I'd rather have an easier major and get into med school than go physiological science and not get in at all. Certainly if only getting into a medical school is your goal, then certainly UCLA is a good place to achieve that and balance it with a good life. However, if you are aiming for a top 20 and would like to have the stats to fight it out with the best applicants then maybe another school is best. I'm almost done with year 2 and with most of the premed req's and my gpa is where it should be so there's one hurdle crossed. However like everyone knows, there's more to an applicant than gpa. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated from UCLA last spring and I highly recommend it as well. I will divulge that I was unsuccessful in medical school applications this cycle, but don't let that dissuade you. My failure had nothing to do with UCLA and everything to do with me. UCLA will not be a walk in the park and I'll admit there were times where I had "the grass is always greener" thoughts. However, I don't think pre-med anywhere is a piece of cake. Many students at UCLA are smart, ambitious and hardworking so you're going to have to work hard and sometimes the outcome isn't what you felt like you deserve, but you just keep your head up and continue to work hard. There is plenty of help at UCLA, but it is up to you to go get it. Go to professors' and TA's office hours, find good classmates that are willing to help you, and get tutoring if necessary. You'll have to be more pro-active, but it's doable. The key is to get good study habits and get help BEFORE it's too late.

I was a neuroscience major and if I could re-do my time at UCLA, I would've done psychobio instead. Not because it's easier, but I realized (too late) that I enjoyed the subject more than neuroscience (there is a lot of over-lapse, however).

UCLA also has a bunch of opportunities to get involved in research and community service. I regret not taking advantage of these opportunities because they were so plentiful and would've been great experiences regardless of your future goals. At the end of the day, you have to go where you're going to be happy. It sounds like you really enjoyed the campus and the people (the folks in the Undie Run and cheerleading picture are real students...and yes I did have a few of them in my classes) so UCLA might be the school for you. Regardless of whether or not I ever get into medical school, I greatly enjoyed my time in Westwood and miss it like crazy now.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the school, the area, and pre-med life. Best of luck!

I went to a lower tier UC and then transferred to UCLA. Go to UCLA and do not think twice. It;s a blast and it isn't terribly more challenging. The classes are identical except the curve is a bit higher, but you will be fine at either school. Both will be challenging. I do not regret my decision to transfer at all and loved my time at UCLA so much that I might choose to stay for 4 more years.
No way! I transferred to UCLA too! I graduated '13, maybe I know you?

Psychobio is considered one of the easier majors (no respect given to those in that major) but I'd rather have an easier major and get into med school than go physiological science and not get in at all. Certainly if only getting into a medical school is your goal, then certainly UCLA is a good place to achieve that and balance it with a good life. However, if you are aiming for a top 20 and would like to have the stats to fight it out with the best applicants then maybe another school is best. I'm almost done with year 2 and with most of the premed req's and my gpa is where it should be so there's one hurdle crossed. However like everyone knows, there's more to an applicant than gpa. Best of luck.
LOL @JediOchoa

I am a successful pre-med and a former BruWin