Such a thing as humanitarian neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdh19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a M3 that really likes neurosurgery. I also would like to do international work a few months out of the year or more. However, I cannot find much on humanitarian opportunities and neurosurgery. There seems to be more opportunity in general surgery and orthopedics, but I am not as interested in those fields. Does anyone have any experience with this topic or know of any programs that offer such opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just watched a documentary called "The English Surgeon" about a nsg, Dr. Henry Marsh, who somehow ended up getting involved helping an extremely impoverished population in the Ukraine. Awesome film. What I took away from it is that as a neurosurgeon, your skills are so rare and so valuable, that there is almost no place on earth that couldn't benefit from your help. The problem is making it happen -- supplies, facilities, politics, etc. -- it's not a stream-lined as the cleft-palate type stuff. But if it's something you are passionate about, and you're willing to make the sacrifices, it's certainly possible. Fyi, that doc is available "instant" online on Netflix right now, if you have it :D

On That note... Can a Neurosurgeon do part time Family Practice? I really love Neurosurgery but at the same time, I would like to help the general people with day to day life problem. Also would like to go to outside of US to help internationally. So is it possible for a neurosurgeon to get certified in Family medicine and practice it? If anyone, knows this answer please advice. Thank you...

I just watched a documentary called "The English Surgeon" about a nsg, Dr. Henry Marsh, who somehow ended up getting involved helping an extremely impoverished population in the Ukraine. Awesome film. What I took away from it is that as a neurosurgeon, your skills are so rare and so valuable, that there is almost no place on earth that couldn't benefit from your help. The problem is making it happen -- supplies, facilities, politics, etc. -- it's not a stream-lined as the cleft-palate type stuff. But if it's something you are passionate about, and you're willing to make the sacrifices, it's certainly possible. Fyi, that doc is available "instant" online on Netflix right now, if you have it :D

On That note... Can a Neurosurgeon do part time Family Practice? I really love Neurosurgery but at the same time, I would like to help the general people with day to day life problem. Also would like to go to outside of US to help internationally. So is it possible for a neurosurgeon to get certified in Family medicine and practice it? If anyone, knows this answer please advice. Thank you...

No. You obviously lack the knowledge to know NS is a huge time commitment

No. You obviously lack the knowledge to know NS is a huge time commitment

Agreed. Besides, with the number of uninsured or minimally insured patients out there, you'll get your fill of humanitarian work. There are also missions that go to underserved countries where you can do a lot of good. Neurosurgeons are is short supply around the world. If you want to travel and help, you'll have plenty of work.

Creating and floating a viable family practice takes a lot of time and effort. Full-time FP docs are having a hard time meeting their overhead and keeping their patients. The two specialties couldn't be more polar opposites. I'd say if you err on the side of neurosurgery, you can always make the effort to be more a part of your patients' lives and general health. There is no law against taking an interest in general medicine as a neurosurgeon and advising your patients on their general health problems. In fact, especially with spine surgery, it is a necessary part of your pre-op and post-op counseling. Hope that helps.

To be honest, you don't sound like you "really love neurosurgery".

I am a M3 that really likes neurosurgery. I also would like to do international work a few months out of the year or more. However, I cannot find much on humanitarian opportunities and neurosurgery. There seems to be more opportunity in general surgery and orthopedics, but I am not as interested in those fields. Does anyone have any experience with this topic or know of any programs that offer such opportunities?
Hello,
To address the previous matter regarding Humanitarian Neurosurgery. I am a Neurosurgery resident and I also do humanitarian work nationally and internationally. I found that as long you have the basic knowledge of medicince you will do jsut fine. In case of volunteering overseas, my experience is the people do not really care what type of doctor you are. They have a certain problem and you, the doctor, needs to solve it. Having said that, that's when your Rotating Internship comes in Handy. Also, I try to brush up on my Primary care materials each time I go volunteer, especially overseas.
Also, I only go Week at a time during my vacation. It is almost impossible to get Month (s) off to go. The residency is too demanding and usually lack of man-power.

Bottom line, it is possible to be a Hunitarian Neurosurgeon, but takes effort.

Good Luck.