Sufficient ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DWMontana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I'm in a bit of an interesting situation, as I originally started school with plans to go the MD/PhD route, but long story short, I realized that the split wasn't something I was comfortable with, as I didn't think I could be both a good clinician and scientist under those conditions. I am a rising Junior now, so I have time to sort out any deficits still.

Basically, I wanted some advice on whether my ECs are going to be sufficient for the standard MD entrance route, as most of what I have is very focused on research. I am hoping to aim for top 25 schools when applying, so I'm trying to avoid having a significant weak point in my application. I am academically strong with gpa > 3.9 as a biochemistry major. I am studying with the Sn2ed method this summer for an August MCAT.

Research: I have about a year and a half experience in a biochemistry lab working on proteins, including a summer working full time. I have received two undergraduate level grants for this research. I will be a full time intern this summer at a national lab associated with a top ten research university working on a similar project this summer. My PI has invested a lot in me, and I don't want to cut back on this if at all possible.

Clinical Volunteering: I volunteer on the ER night shift at my local hospital four hours per week during the weekend and have been doing so for about a year.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: I spend a fair bit of time working with a youth organization teaching science classes to elementary-aged students. I am in the process of joining the Red Cross, hopefully as a preparedness instructor.

Shadowing: Since I live in a college town with only one hospital, as such this has taken a while. I currently have arrangements to shadow an ER physician and I am making plans to shadow a Nephrologist in between my internship and classes starting up again.

Work: I work as a TA teaching Gen. Chem. labs at my university during the school year and present for an outreach program that brings NASA mission presentations to schools in rural parts of the state to encourage children to consider STEM as a potential career path.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you think you're missing here? You can certainly apply for straight MD even if the primary focus of your ECs is research (especially at the top research schools). I don't see any weaknesses here, except for perhaps explicit leadership experience (would be a plus if you could get some sort of coordinator position for one of your volunteering or work experiences).

I suppose it might be just that I'm used to seeing people on SDN with a seemingly endless list of humanitarian and leadership experience.

Selection bias I take it?