Suggest a good Study Plan/materials for the new 2015 test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far in my possession and Amazon cart I have:

• EK 1001 Chemistry, Organic, Physics
  • EK 101 Verbal
  • the new EK psychology/sociology
  • EK bio
  • TPRH verbal and science workbook
  • and ALL of the BR books

I found this recommended list of books from the SN2ed study schedule but that is from 2009 so I don't know if I can use that for the new MCAT. Am I missing any materials besides biochem? Is there a solid plan for studying during the semester? I don't plan on taking the MCAT until the spring/summer of 2016ish.

I didn't buy all those books yet^ so I can still buy other ones if these are not recommended for the 2015 exam.

THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You DEFINITELY don't need EK1001 and EK Psy/Soc. EK bio is questionable as well. Everything else is good.

I personally felt EK 1001 Organic was far too easy and no where near representative of discretes on AAMC old MCAT. I do recommend the TBR physics book and science workbook a lot. TPRH verbal IMO is far more representative of the type of passages you get on the AAMC. I personally think their new CARs book/passages are great. They seem on par with the difficulty I felt on my real MCAT. So for biochem, I'm still figuring out what to use. I have a TBR bio book 2 from 2012 but I haven't touched it yet. It seemed to have the best reviews.

I would recommend either TPR psych/soc or EK psych/soc. Haven't used EK though.
Buy the EK 101 Verbal/TPRH verbal but if you have to only choose one, I recommend TPRH verbal.

BR organic was decent. For some reason, I always felt no company have been that accurate on the level of difficulty of it on the real exam.
BR gen chem was OK. I personally felt doing the old Kaplan 1-6 exams are what made my gen chem better for the old MCAT.
BR bio in general is a great series of book to use if you have a lot of time to go over it. Although I thought the science workbook TPRH passages were more representative of the real bio passages on the MCAT.

So what I would recommend is:

TPR/BR- organic
BR- physics (although I think TPR physics is slightly harder)
Kaplan/BR- Gen Chem
BR- biology (for content, I really am not sure but it seems the TBR bio book 2/Kaplan Biochem book are on top of most people's list)
TPRH/EK-CARs
TPR- Psych/soc.

I personally felt EK 1001 Organic was far too easy and no where near representative of discretes on AAMC old MCAT. I do recommend the TBR physics book and science workbook a lot. TPRH verbal IMO is far more representative of the type of passages you get on the AAMC. I personally think their new CARs book/passages are great. They seem on par with the difficulty I felt on my real MCAT. So for biochem, I'm still figuring out what to use. I have a TBR bio book 2 from 2012 but I haven't touched it yet. It seemed to have the best reviews.

I would recommend either TPR psych/soc or EK psych/soc. Haven't used EK though.
Buy the EK 101 Verbal/TPRH verbal but if you have to only choose one, I recommend TPRH verbal.

BR organic was decent. For some reason, I always felt no company have been that accurate on the level of difficulty of it on the real exam.
BR gen chem was OK. I personally felt doing the old Kaplan 1-6 exams are what made my gen chem better for the old MCAT.
BR bio in general is a great series of book to use if you have a lot of time to go over it. Although I thought the science workbook TPRH passages were more representative of the real bio passages on the MCAT.

So what I would recommend is:

TPR/BR- organic
BR- physics (although I think TPR physics is slightly harder)
Kaplan/BR- Gen Chem
BR- biology (for content, I really am not sure but it seems the TBR bio book 2/Kaplan Biochem book are on top of most people's list)
TPRH/EK-CARs
TPR- Psych/soc.

I just read somewhere that the old TPRH verbal isn't as good anymore since the new exam? I tried to find a 2015 TPRH verbal but there are none anywhere.

edit: also i have a copy of the Lehninger Biochem book. Could I use that to study? I'll probably take the biochem class spring 2016

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read somewhere that the old TPRH verbal isn't as good anymore since the new exam? I tried to find a 2015 TPRH verbal but there are none anywhere.

edit: also i have a copy of the Lehninger Biochem book. Could I use that to study? I'll probably take the biochem class spring 2016

I would use it if you have no biochem experience. Maybe.