Suggested Book list for First-Year Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geetarfan

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending BU this fall and am trying to figure out what books I should get for first year in terms of helping me pass the class and review for USMLE.

So far this is what I got on my list of potential buys:
-Anatomy: Netters Atlas, Rohen, and/or High Yield, Baby Moore
-Biochemistry:Lippincott's and First Aid
-Pathology:Robbins
-Histology:??
-Embryology:High yield
-Physio:Costanzo and BRS
-Neuro:Haines atlas and High Yield

What would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to wait and see what upperclassmen at your school recommend. It is useless to buy a bunch of books that you won't have time to go through. At my school, my second year adviser gave me all of her texts. Those combined with our very complete course syllabi were all I needed. I did purchase a current copy of First Aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish there were upperclassmen to ask lol. Our list of "required" books for first year was like 26 books or so long. Some were text books and others were novels or non-science texts about teamwork and stuff like that. For now I just scoured amazon and half.com and bought up the really cheap ones and I've left the real hard sci books to see if i can either get copies in the library or survive off the notes/lectures alone. A lot of people say if you have a good lecturer you won't have to open the book.

I checked a lot of my books out from the med library - one edition behind. I bought a couple books:

Anatomy: Netter's/Rohen
Biochem: Lippincott
Physio: BRS/Cosztano

The rest were either course packets or library books. I'll get more when I study for boards or if I need them for 2nd year.

Wait until the first week of classes when you will meet your 2nd year adviser. You can ask him/her that question and they'll let you know what he/she thinks. Ask different people in our class and we'll help you out the best we can.

Wait until the first week of classes when you will meet your 2nd year adviser. You can ask him/her that question and they'll let you know what he/she thinks. Ask different people in our class and we'll help you out the best we can.
I used BRS for pretty much everything. Anatomy I also used Netter's for images and gray's for their tables of origins, insertions, and innervations. Class notes should do pretty well for you during first year. Second year is a different story.

I will be attending BU this fall and am trying to figure out what books I should get for first year in terms of helping me pass the class and review for USMLE.

So far this is what I got on my list of potential buys:
-Anatomy: Netters Atlas, Rohen, and/or High Yield, Baby Moore
-Biochemistry:Lippincott's and First Aid
-Pathology:Robbins
-Histology:??
-Embryology:High yield
-Physio:Costanzo and BRS
-Neuro:Haines atlas and High Yield

What would you suggest?

I wasn't much of a textbook person in MS1, but here are the few that I liked:
-I would go for Wheaters for Histology. So much better than Ross (which my school wanted me to get) and easier to read also. Has summary tables etc which are helpful.

-Also, for Microbiology, I highly suggest getting flashcards. I got these:
http://www.amazon.com/Microcards-Re...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247766759&sr=8-7
and they pretty much saved my life in micro. VERY easy to use, have tons of info on them, probably everything they'll teach you in class, and then some. Each bug also has a clinical case study. I just read the cards during their lectures, and this made it sooo easy to review quickly later. No need to read extra books. Overall, very well organized :)
-Anatomy: My school suggested Essential Clinical Anatomy, which I ended up reading cover to cover -- very readable and not lengthy like Grey's. I would also get Netter's Clinical Anatomy by Hansen. Both are great for clinical correlations (at least I though so...)

Most of these 'tips' for books were passed on to me by upperclassmen, and I'm really thankful for that, so just passing on the favor. Check them out and see if they work for you :thumbup:

Please help...my school gave us a list of six anatomy atlasses to choose from, giving reviews with the pros and cons of each, but not offering any solid advice. The atlasses are McMinn's, Grant's, Netter's, Gray's, Color Atlas of Anatomy, and another which I can't remember at the moment. The school provides a copy of Grant's Atlas at each dissection table.

What are your recommendations? Thanks - I think I might be stressing this too much.

Please help...my school gave us a list of six anatomy atlasses to choose from, giving reviews with the pros and cons of each, but not offering any solid advice. The atlasses are McMinn's, Grant's, Netter's, Gray's, Color Atlas of Anatomy, and another which I can't remember at the moment. The school provides a copy of Grant's Atlas at each dissection table.

What are your recommendations? Thanks - I think I might be stressing this too much.
all you need is netter's. they should give you enuf info in the course notes (origns/insertions, nerve branchings, etc) that you shouldn't need a textbook. I did very well in anatomy using only 3 resources: netter's, loose leaf paper, and a pen.

fyi, to get the most out of dissections, memorize the nerve & artery branches and/or muscle names the night before you actually dissect those structures--that way you might actually learn something instead of just wasting 4 hours of your life