Suggested Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundevil16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for electives that will look good for PT schools? I am a sophomore and have already taken psych 101 and will take statistics in the fall. The only other classes that I need for my major are upper division level. Any ideas for a GPA booster that isn't totally frivolous would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

all they care about are pre req classes. You can take yoga for all they care, just kill pre reqs. Take what interests you, that's what college is for.

I recommend the following

-Medical terminology
-Kinesiology (probably not offered at CC's)
-Biomechanics (probably not offered at CC's)
-Microbiology
-Biochemistry (to really challenge yourself).
-Developmental and Abnormal Psychology

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend the following

-Medical terminology
-Kinesiology (probably not offered at CC's)
-Biomechanics (probably not offered at CC's)
-Microbiology
-Biochemistry (to really challenge yourself).
-Developmental and Abnormal Psychology

Kevin

Also Exercise Physiology. Ive taken Biomechanics and it was a great class. I believe they offer that @ UCLA extension. They might have it online if you do not live in LA.

So at this point in order to get my degree and meet all the PT school pre-reqs I haven't really got an room for any more electives without doing another year of undergrad...which isn't gonna happen...being a biology major though I will have never taken a kinesiology or biomechanics class...do PT schools look at that poorly? Kinesiology or exercise science are obviously the majors of choice for pre-PT, but are they looked at more favorably then other majors. I know people say that only the pre-reqs matter, but there is a big time majority of people going to pt school with degrees in kinesiology/exercise science...

So at this point in order to get my degree and meet all the PT school pre-reqs I haven't really got an room for any more electives without doing another year of undergrad...which isn't gonna happen...being a biology major though I will have never taken a kinesiology or biomechanics class...do PT schools look at that poorly? Kinesiology or exercise science are obviously the majors of choice for pre-PT, but are they looked at more favorably then other majors. I know people say that only the pre-reqs matter, but there is a big time majority of people going to pt school with degrees in kinesiology/exercise science...

It seems that quite a number of pre-PT people are bio majors as well, so if I were you, I wouldn't be concerned about being looked upon less favorably, in comparison with more "relevant" majors. (In my case, since I am neither a bio major nor a kinesiology major, I chose electives like abnormal psych and biomechanics, primarily since I thought they'd be helpful for PT school.)

being a biology major though I will have never taken a kinesiology or biomechanics class...do PT schools look at that poorly? ...

Some schools don't even offer those courses. If PT schools wanted them to be pre-requisites, then they would make them pre-requisites. Those classes will enhance your resume, but you'll still be competitive without them.

Kevin

They won't look at it poorly and frankly, you didn't miss anything. When I took biomechanics at asu the professor was in her first year teaching. Twas a **** show lol. If you can squeeze in ex phys with Cataldo (NOT Brown) then do it, if not don't sweat it.

I think the PT applicant data explains this the best. The majority of people in PT school are kinesiology/exercise science majors simply because the majority of people applying to PT school are kinesiology/exercise science majors. The 2011-2012 data report basically shows that across all majors there is roughly a 50% acceptance rate. Which to me sounds like it doesn't really matter what you study. There were a few with higher i.e closer to 2/3 acceptance rates like anthropology, neuroscience, journalism, history but the smaller number of applicants for those majors makes it hard to generalize.

http://www.ptcas.org/About/

Some quick examples:
KINESIOLOGY total applicants 2,141 total accepted 1,010
EXERCISE SCIENCE total applicants 3,017 total accepted 1,520
ATHLETIC TRAINING total applicants 553 total accepted 261
BIOLOGY total applicants 2,122 total accepted 1,076
BUSINESS total applicants 233 total accepted 127
EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY total applicants 374 total accepted 198
COMMUNICATIONS total applicants 62 total accepted 37
MUSIC total applicants 29 total accepted 17
ENGINEERING total applicants 50 total accepted 26

you get the idea.

Last edited:
Great point and data kingsandmen, thanks! And thanks for everyone else's replies. And sorry for hijacking this thread. :)

Which to me sounds like it doesn't really matter what you study.

It doesn't. Study what you want and satisfy all the pre-reqs. You're probably better off studying something different to make yourself more versatile. You're going to learn Kinesiology, Biomechanics, and TherEx in PT school anyway.

Kevin

It doesn't. Study what you want and satisfy all the pre-reqs. You're probably better off studying something different to make yourself more versatile. You're going to learn Kinesiology, Biomechanics, and TherEx in PT school anyway.

Kevin

Ya, people assume that you just got the biology degree because it meets the pre-reqs easier, which it kinda does, but not really because my degree doesn't require a year of anatomy/phys or psychology. I'm going for the biology degree because I am actually interested in biology! But it does make you blend in a bit...

I just finished taking Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy and I feel that it prepared me big time for Anatomy. Having practicals with over 150 structures to identify sucked, but like I said now I know what I need to do.

You should get a major in a subject you enjoy, because a BS doesn't go far these days, unless it's in accounting. If you want to make decent money, you have to get a graduate degree. Biology is perfect because the classes you take are pre-requisites for various medical professions.

Kevin

You should get a major in a subject you enjoy, because a BS doesn't go far these days, unless it's in accounting.

True story...even in the worst economy, people are still hiring book-keepers...I guess if you didn't want to be in college forever and were happy with a finance job that'd be the way to go! Seems like it could be a pretty dull career after a while though, but whatever floats your boat I guess...