Suggestion for Animal and Veterinary Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Germadirk123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was thinking about how much animal and veterinary experience I have, and I came across the notion that I don't have much experience! I was hoping that some of you could share your experiences with me and provide any suggestions of areas or places where a pre-vet student can gain experience.

This is what I have so far.....

1) Working at a small animal clinic since 2008
2) Volunteer at a shelter( walk/bathe dogs)
3) Currently working in the vet school in the biomedical science dept- work with fish

I'm looking for Large animal experience, but I'm having the hardest time....

I'm currently attending LSU and I won't be applying for vet school until 2010, so I'm not trying to compete with anyone here. I'm just looking for some help
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Thank you!

Have a nice week :D

Members don't see this ad.

If you are looking for large animal experience why don't you volunteer or work at a mixed or large animal practice near you, or the LSU vet school, or at a horse barn etc. I'm sure some of those places will take volunteers.

You should take a look at the successful applicants thread for experience comparisons, it varies so much! So, just do the best you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Work at a horse barn
2. Volunteer for "foal watch" at the equine unit of the hospital
3. Work on a farm.
4. Shadow at various vet clinics.
5. Volunteer at the animal shelter (more than just cats & dogs!)
6. Volunteer at a horse/LA rescue
7. Be a camp counselor with exotic pets (llamas rock!)

I did a lot of internet searching for summer internships....did one at a zoo in hoofstock (large animal) and later got a summer keeper position there

1. Volunteer at the zoo
2. Help out the Wildlife Hospital of Louisiana (we've got a work day coming up :D)
3. Participate in Spay Day (at the vet school)

And...you say you won't be applying until 2010, so your application has been sent and your waiting now? If so, you are right, experience is always good.