Suggestions for Add-on programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WalterDonnie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I want to add a few programs to ERAS. I feel I have a sub-acceptable amount of invites, even including the couple I may get still coming in. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of decent programs that may be having spots open up due to cancelations. maybe some of those midwest places that seem less desirable, but are still decent programs. Any suggestions would be helpful, Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously loom at community programs in flyover states.

I don't know why kids apply mostly to uni programs and don't add enough safeties.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every program will have spots open up due to cancellations, but it's hard to predict which ones. Jut apply widely. People will be cancelling throughout the interview cycle, especially later on.

Reactions: 1 user
We need a clue of where in God's green earth you're coming from.

Coming out of Harvard Med? try adding Stanford to your list.

Coming out of Texila Med in Guyana, Caribbean? try adding Arrowhead Regional to your list.

Well I'm a DO with strong scores(usmle/comlex) no red flags. I made the mistake of mostly applying to the west. While I have got an amount of interviews that some people might be happy with, most of the places only take 5ish residents a year. Since the west seems particularly competitive this year, I'm thinking that some of the moderate/strong MD students may fall into some of these spots, which are probably lower on their rank, and block me out. I also may just be being pathologically anxious about it, but as a DO we can't SOAP. We can only scramble into AOA programs, and that's just all bad. Thanks Leo

Ok, will do Crayola. Ya you're right, it was just poor insight on my part.

Ok, thanks Shan.

it would also be helpful if you listed which programs youve already applied to and which geographic regions you prefer/are acceptable to you. also be sure to check when the programs in question stop accepting applications. many programs will not review any applications coming after the end of this month

Also many programs have not even finished sending out invites not even factoring in cancellations. on the west coast in particular many places will only look at DO applicants once all acceptable allopathic students have been invited.

Great. That helps. If you happen to be from a top DO program, then you can take some comfort in knowing that they do land spots in California. If not from a top DO program, or even still, look at these programs:

U Arkansas-Little Rock: 7 spots
U Colorado SOM-Denver: 13 spots
U Connecticut School of Medicine: 7 spots
Medical College of Georgia: 7 spots
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med: 6 spots
U Kansas SOM-Kansas City: 7 spots
U Louisville SOM-KY: 9 spots

Hope that helps and good luck!

those all look reasonable apart from MCG - I would definitely avoid it, they don't get training in psychotherapy (i have in on good account they have no faculty who do psychodynamic therapy and little more than a lecture, and the patients they get are often inappropriate for CBT) and the supervision is extremely wanting. and augusta is grim. it's a far cry from the days when thigpen and cleckley were popularizing multiple personality

Last edited:
Awesome Leo, that really helps. Thank you!!

Splik: Well my original feeling was someplace that doesn't have ridiculously freezing winters, and I'd prefer a decent sized city. I applied to pretty much all of CA, AZ,NV. I was trying to figure out maybe some that are less competitive in florida and texas. I've applied to a few more competitive ones in texas, none in Florida. At this point though I'm willing to put some places that aren't necessarily fitting all my criteria as far as location goes though. Ya that's a good point to make sure they are still accepting. I also appreciate that I may be receiving a few more invites even without adding more programs. My anxiety about this is just sort of getting to me though, and I'd rather just add some extra programs on to quell myself a bit.

Once I add programs on would you guys recommending calling the coordinators and asking them if they could maybe flag my app or something in order to make sure it gets looked at?

Did you apply to new mexico? OHSU? (doesn't have freezing winters), baylor, san antonio, scott and white, ut houston, utmb, shands, south florida, MUSC (have heard good things about it, and also charleston).

Personally I would suggest emailing the PDs and explaining your very good reasons for applying late. For example "I only just heard great things about your program including x, y, and z! I know I am applying late but I am very excited about these positive things and wish I had heard about your program sooner" Be specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to new mexico? OHSU? (doesn't have freezing winters), baylor, san antonio, scott and white, ut houston, utmb, shands, south florida, MUSC (have heard good things about it, and also charleston).

Personally I would suggest emailing the PDs and explaining your very good reasons for applying late. For example "I only just heard great things about your program including x, y, and z! I know I am applying late but I am very excited about these positive things and wish I had heard about your program sooner" Be specific.

OHSU informed me as of Friday that their interview slots are all full, much to my deep chagrin.

OHSU informed me as of Friday that their interview slots are all full, much to my deep chagrin.

How late into the season do they hold interviews? January?

Don't give up just yet - there will be cancellations. You don't want to pester them, but still, at some point you have nothing to lose...

OTOH...it is easy for me to say this, but it would probably be healthier to just lose the obsession about pre-interview rankings - you know, your dream programs and all that. Take the "a bird in the hand..." approach to all of this. Your objective is to match, not to match at OHSU.

I had several programs at or near the top of my pre interview rank list that I never heard from. When November 1 hit, after nearly 3 weeks of no more invites (and none ever came), I removed them from my spreadsheet because I had 5 interviews coming up, and I needed to focus on them, not on the others.

In fact, I would have a very hard time telling you which programs they were because I "erased" them, and I focused solely on the interviews in hand...after Nov 1, those programs were dead to me...

The one that I do remember is Cambridge Health Alliance, and I remember because they sent a "sorry but no dice" email, or maybe it was snail mail. So for all of you who want closure, be careful what you wish for...silent rejections are easier to forget. This process isn't about the ones that got away...you will know what I mean when the deadline for submitting your ROL is upon you - you will not be thinking about the programs that blew you off...I suggest that by November 1, focus on the birds in hand, and forget about the rest of them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How late into the season do they hold interviews? January?

Don't give up just yet - there will be cancellations. You don't want to pester them, but still, at some point you have nothing to lose...

OTOH...it is easy for me to say this, but it would probably be healthier to just lose the obsession about pre-interview rankings - you know, your dream programs and all that. Take the "a bird in the hand..." approach to all of this. Your objective is to match, not to match at OHSU.

I had several programs at or near the top of my pre interview rank list that I never heard from. When November 1 hit, after nearly 3 weeks of no more invites (and none ever came), I removed them from my spreadsheet because I had 5 interviews coming up, and I needed to focus on them, not on the others.

In fact, I would have a very hard time telling you which programs they were because I "erased" them, and I focused solely on the interviews in hand...after Nov 1, those programs were dead to me...

The one that I do remember is Cambridge Health Alliance, and I remember because they sent a "sorry but no dice" email, or maybe it was snail mail. So for all of you who want closure, be careful what you wish for...silent rejections are easier to forget. This process isn't about the ones that got away...you will know what I mean when the deadline for submitting your ROL is upon you - you will not be thinking about the programs that blew you off...I suggest that by November 1, focus on the birds in hand, and forget about the rest of them.

Good luck.

Thanks. I reckon this is a good suggestion. Probably I will match with my current 6 interviews, but I was really hoping for 8, since that is where the data suggests my chances of matching period are maximized.

Edit: there is also an element of partner's desires in this respect, so that "at least I match somewhere" is a poor consolation prize for a marginally acceptable location.

Thanks. I reckon this is a good suggestion. Probably I will match with my current 6 interviews, but I was really hoping for 8, since that is where the data suggests my chances of matching period are maximized.

Edit: there is also an element of partner's desires in this respect, so that "at least I match somewhere" is a poor consolation prize for a marginally acceptable location.

Bottom line is this process is very stressful. And I didn't have to please a partner.

How many more apps do you have floating around that you haven't heard from? Of those, which ones do you perceive as "better" programs and locations for you and your partner?

If you want to PM me, I would be glad to look over these programs (including your invites) and tell you what I know about them, and the locations...I am very well traveled in the US and have lived in a bunch of different places, FWIW. Plus I interviewed all over the country, and I took extra time in each city to get to know it better...

Bottom line is this process is very stressful. And I didn't have to please a partner.

How many more apps do you have floating around that you haven't heard from? Of those, which ones do you perceive as "better" programs and locations for you and your partner?

If you want to PM me, I would be glad to look over these programs (including your invites) and tell you what I know about them, and the locations...I am very well traveled in the US and have lived in a bunch of different places, FWIW. Plus I interviewed all over the country, and I took extra time in each city to get to know it better...

Edit: apparently I can't send you PMs. Mind sending the first message?

Last edited:

Hey splik, I applied to a few of the places you mentioned, and got a few interviews from those as well. In hindsight I should have applied to all of those places though. Oh ok perfect that sounds like a great angle to take when contacting the PDs. Thank you!!

I don't know why kids apply mostly to uni programs and don't add enough safeties.

Uh.... because it's psych? AMGs shouldn't need any non-university programs as "safeties."

Uh.... because it's psych? AMGs shouldn't need any non-university programs as "safeties."

University programs, however, can be quite "provincial" in who they invite for interviews, preferring the in-state, homegrown applicants, over people who come from far away with no apparent nexus to the program or region. Applying "broadly" is not as simple as you and many seem to think.

University programs, however, can be quite "provincial" in who they invite for interviews, preferring the in-state, homegrown applicants, over people who come from far away with no apparent nexus to the program or region. Applying "broadly" is not as simple as you and many seem to think.

There's no eyeroll emoji.... Getting advice from current residents who a few weeks ago were saying things like "apply to like 10-15 programs" is not high on my list.

There's no eyeroll emoji.... Getting advice from current residents who a few weeks ago were saying things like "apply to like 10-15 programs" is not high on my list.

Seems like you have it all figured out. Congrats.

Some people can get by with 15 apps, and some need to apply to 40+.

Work on your reading comprehension. I stand by every bit of "advice" I have offered here.

Seems like you have it all figured out. Congrats.

Some people can get by with 15 apps, and some need to apply to 40+.

Work on your reading comprehension. I stand by every bit of "advice" I have offered here.

I can read just fine. Work on your attitude?

I’ll bet I could name 40 programs that an average AMG couldn’t get into, and I could name a dozen that an average applicant could easily be reached. 10 – 12 can be overkill, and 40 could be risky depending on how you play it. It sure is tense out there. Don’t make me force everyone to do the yoga chant. Hummmmm.
:shifty:

Reactions: 6 users
I can read just fine. Work on your attitude?

I looked through your posts - a week's worth since joining - and I find this "advice" from you amusing.

Good luck.

I looked through your posts - a week's worth since joining - and I find this "advice" from you amusing.

Good luck.

Yeah. Take another eye roll.

Question on emailing programs with updates: I had a paper that was accepted for publication after ERAS went out (cannot update CV). I certainly don't have as many interviews as I would like, so I'm thinking of letting programs know.

What would be the best way to do this? Emailing the pdf of the document to the program coordinator? director? Any thoughts?

Question on emailing programs with updates: I had a paper that was accepted for publication after ERAS went out (cannot update CV). I certainly don't have as many interviews as I would like, so I'm thinking of letting programs know.

What would be the best way to do this? Emailing the pdf of the document to the program coordinator? director? Any thoughts?

Are those normally sent at the time of ERAS submission? I ask because I don't know. If yes, then attach as PDF. But if not, don't be that guy...just telling them is a good "excuse" for updating them, and then ask about an interview...

Are those normally sent at the time of ERAS submission? I ask because I don't know. If yes, then attach as PDF. But if not, don't be that guy...just telling them is a good "excuse" for updating them, and then ask about an interview...

No, pdfs are generally not sent out with ERAS. Just the name of the article and the journal which accepted it. Perhaps that amount of information is sufficient, rather than sending them the actual article. Should this be sent to the program director or the coordinator? How would you suggest I word "asking for an interview" in the same email?

No, pdfs are generally not sent out with ERAS. Just the name of the article and the journal which accepted it. Perhaps that amount of information is sufficient, rather than sending them the actual article. Should this be sent to the program director or the coordinator? How would you suggest I word "asking for an interview" in the same email?

Dear Dr. Program Director,

I recently applied to your psychiatry program and would like to make you aware that I have recently published an article in the Journal of Kuru Encephalitis Science. I am particularly excited about pursuing residency at Princeton General as I believe that my research interests in Kuru would fit well with ongoing research in the Department of Diagnostics. Specifically, working with Dr. Gregory House and studying the psychiatric manifestations of Kuru, I believe that I would be able to form a strong collaboration between the Department of Diagnostics and Psychiatry at Princeton General. I am looking forward to learning more about your residency program and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Neo Landrover

Landrover N, Pontaic O, and Fiat P (2015) Kuru encephalitis presenting with obsessions and compulsions in an 11 year old. JoKES. 2:12, 11-14.

Dear Dr. Program Director,

I recently applied to your psychiatry program and would like to make you aware that I have recently published an article in the Journal of Kuru Encephalitis Science. I am particularly excited about pursuing residency at Princeton General as I believe that my research interests in Kuru would fit well with ongoing research in the Department of Diagnostics. Specifically, working with Dr. Gregory House and studying the psychiatric manifestations of Kuru, I believe that I would be able to form a strong collaboration between the Department of Diagnostics and Psychiatry at Princeton General. I am looking forward to learning more about your residency program and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Neo Landrover

Landrover N, Pontaic O, and Fiat P (2015) Kuru encephalitis presenting with obsessions and compulsions in an 11 year old. JoKES. 2:12, 11-14.

Jokes n jokes n jokes n jokes!

Wow, I think the stress of this season is getting to people. Lots of tension and sniping.

I'm selling chill pills for $1 each. They're hot these days.:owle:

I'm selling chill pills for $1 each. They're hot these days.:owle:

You can get more than a dollar for benzos. Are you running a charity?

I almost forgot that I came here to try to say something helpful.

I added two programs on 9/28 because I learned something new about them. Didn't send any emails, but I got interviews from both of them. You could try University of Cincinnati. They still had a lot of dates open as of a week ago. My interview invitation was genuinely a personalized message from the PD. Pretty cool.