Suggestions for AMCAS schools (TX applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Texasgirl123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new to this site as a member but have been reading these threads for a while. I just submitted my Texas app last night (I'm assuming submitting this early is good?)

My stats are meh: overall GPA 3.66, science gpa: 3.45, not science gpa: 4.0, MCAT: 31
~300 hours of clinical experience/volunteering, ~70 hours shadowing, 1000+ hours research

But I do have an upward trend, my science and overall gpa this year (my senior year) was a 4.0 in upper level neuro classes. I don't know if adcom's will care. I have stellar EC, LoR, personal statement, additional Texas essays and pretty good research experience so I'm not worried about that aspect of my application at all. I've been told that everything I mentioned in the previous sentence (EC, PS etc) is pretty unique. I just wish I had 'gotten the hang' of college classes before I got to my upper level classes which I did better in. Idk if this matters but I went to an out of state college so I'll be applying to their med school as well.

I applied to all the TMDSAS schools but was hoping to apply to a few AMCAS schools but am not sure which ones would be OK for me to apply to/which ones would be worth it. Brown? Wake Forest?

Members don't see this ad.

Very few TX applicants with your stats leave TX.
In fact, very few TX applicants leave TX at all!
We, at other schools have come to realize that without a compelling reason to believe that you are one of the 5% of TX applicants that will leave the state, there is no real reason to interview. Since you attended an OOS undergrad that has a medical school, go ahead and apply to that school and any others in your stats range in that state. Otherwise, OOS schools for a 31 MCAT will be DO schools.

Very few TX applicants with your stats leave TX.
In fact, very few TX applicants leave TX at all!
We, at other schools have come to realize that without a compelling reason to believe that you are one of the 5% of TX applicants that will leave the state, there is no real reason to interview. Since you attended an OOS undergrad that has a medical school, go ahead and apply to that school and any others in your stats range in that state. Otherwise, OOS schools for a 31 MCAT will be DO schools.

Thank you for your response! I'm a little worried. Do you think I have a good chance within Texas? I already submitted my application which I think should work to my advantage?
I was looking at OOS schools like GW, Brown, Georgetown where I thought I had a decent chance since they accept OOS people. Is that not a good idea?

Thank you for your response! I'm a little worried. Do you think I have a good chance within Texas? I already submitted my application which I think should work to my advantage?
I was looking at OOS schools like GW, Brown, Georgetown where I thought I had a decent chance since they accept OOS people. Is that not a good idea?
The state of TX has essentially seceded from the union with regard to its medical school applicants.
They have their own application system, heavily favor their IS applicants (by statute) and have many excellent schools at prices OOS cannot compete with. We know that you are likely to get into one of them and that you will attend! Only 215 TX applicants left TX last year. Thus, any MD admissions dean with any kind of budget is quite unlikely to interview a TX applicant unless they also have the cash to offer a recruitment scholarship. A successful TX applicant at an OOS school is a stellar candidate with something the school can't get by other means.

GW and GT get >13K applications. Brown's OOS matriculants are largely from a special program. Save your money.

Last edited by a moderator: